How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

caneye

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby caneye » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:08 am

another muggy morning commute. thank goodness for cold shower at the end of the ride :D

late afternoon commute hasn't been too bad. temp dropped off quite a bit, by 5pm, the past 2 days.
Friday's 2pm commute on the M2 was the worst. my Bryton was registering 42C :evil:

will be keeping an eye on this afternoon's expected storm ..

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:47 pm

A cruise in this am, 3 days of hard riding back to back has caught up with me!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:08 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:A cruise in this am, 3 days of hard riding back to back has caught up with me!
easy tomorrow or are you doing TdF? I'm planning on Brooky for Friday (after easy tomorrow)

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:00 pm

jasonc wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:A cruise in this am, 3 days of hard riding back to back has caught up with me!
easy tomorrow or are you doing TdF? I'm planning on Brooky for Friday (after easy tomorrow)
No easy-isa river loop tomorrow with a mate, then Brooky on Friday. :)

No idea wat TdF is. Tour de........?

Edit: mate has bailed haha

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Whoops. I meant tdr. Will send you a pm

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:22 am

Had a cleat nut plate snap in half, but its ok I didn't lose the cleat - still stuck in the pedal. Bit hard to get it out without the leverage of a shoe.

Fortunately I have spares so good to go again this morning

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Ran over a snake today, (sorry fella) was long (3ft-ish), green and slim. Tree snake im thinking?

Rest of the commute was un-eventful.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Broke a spoke today. Kept riding for about 15KMs before I stopped then loosened off the brakes. Geez, should I have done that earlier, no wonder most of the ride in was so hard!

Don't have a replacement so I'll fix it tomorrow, I have 2 bikes so swap every day anyway.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:11 am

got smashed by the storm yesterday in Brisbane. Found the next appropriate shelter and waited it out to get the rest of the way home.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:39 am

One of the LBS have an urban MTB ride after work so rode the 29er into work.. was fun trying to be dropped by a road bike although was hard work when he was sitting on 40km/hr until he gave up and I passed him.... then I found out the ride is only twice a month... and not this week so I commuted home via the cbd mountain bike tracks and another track on the way home.... pity about the main road between them but a nice change.
This morning I got to the shop ride a bit early so thought I would do a quick loop up Mt Eden... the entrance was closed so went around the gate... but coming down I scoot through a car park and then look up to check the road is clear and then I noticed a chain across the exit.... bike stopped thanks to said chain and I tried my flying lessons over the bars and chain..lucky no damage. Partner arrives here tomorrow from Brisbane... dont want to get banged up for her
Last edited by cancan64 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:00 am

Running late this morning, rode to the station instead and got the train. Got there in record time too. Absolutely flying. Average was 33km/h, including stopping at intersections and a fairly reasonable hill. Looked at the average power - 320w.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:08 am

cancan64 wrote:coming down I scoot through a car park and then look up to check the road is clear and then I noticed a chain across the exit.... bike stopped thanks to said chain and I tried my flying lessons over the bars and chain..lucky no damage. Partner arrives here tomorrow from Brisbane... dont want to get banged up for her
got it on video cancan? that'd be a sight and a half

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Been slack lately, but this morning was fixie day. Added a little extension. Crikey there were a lot of people out on the sharepath. Normally I'll pass quite a few, but this morning I had to slow behind several walkers and wait for oncoming traffic to clear before continuing which is pretty unusual. Just to be clear, I didn't mind waiting and all were doing the right thing as far as keeping left etc to keep the flow going.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 pm

jasonc wrote:got it on video cancan? that'd be a sight and a half
I thought the same thing but camera is on the commuter which is in the shop this week
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 pm

does anyone use Vittoria Rubino Pro on their bikes?
I've had it on the rear of my roadie for the past year. Logged close to 5000kms on them. Starting to square up but threads are still clearly visible.

Is this about average mileage for the tyre? I'm 65kg btw.

[I was riding up Kissing Point Road on Sunday morning when it was a little damp. The tyre slipped a couple of times up the little pinch just before Turramurra. Caught me by surprise and got me thinking that I should be looking to change it soon ..]

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 am

^ at 65kgs you can use anything.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:29 am

My two commutes yesterday were poles apart. Thredbo to Bullocks Flat was glorious. Bullocks Flat to Thredbo was torture really.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:16 am

I don't know if you could call them commutes....

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:30 pm

caneye wrote:does anyone use Vittoria Rubino Pro on their bikes?
I've had it on the rear of my roadie for the past year. Logged close to 5000kms on them. Starting to square up but threads are still clearly visible.

Is this about average mileage for the tyre? I'm 65kg btw.

[I was riding up Kissing Point Road on Sunday morning when it was a little damp. The tyre slipped a couple of times up the little pinch just before Turramurra. Caught me by surprise and got me thinking that I should be looking to change it soon ..]
I used to use them in the past. 5,000km is about it for the rear. Perhaps even 4,500km would be the limit better to bin it as 80% of punctures occur in the last 20% of a tyre's life.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 am

Commuted in today with A turducken backpack. Mass of work related stuff (two computers, a relay multiplexer and field books for starters) along with weeks clothes to bring in so had a 60L backpack which weighed 15kg. Over 40km/h an interesting sway would begin. Uphill was blooming hard and my shoulders are sore.
Still better than the train commute.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:23 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Commuted in today with A turducken backpack. Mass of work related stuff (two computers, a relay multiplexer and field books for starters) along with weeks clothes to bring in so had a 60L backpack which weighed 15kg. Over 40km/h an interesting sway would begin. Uphill was blooming hard and my shoulders are sore.
In today's stinking humidity and heat? :shock: Respect!

I went out at lunch time and the heat and humidity was oppressive. Very, very uncomfortable. I only had to hear the downpour this morning at 5am to make my mind up. Train seemed a better option.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Commuted in today with A turducken backpack. Mass of work related stuff (two computers, a relay multiplexer and field books for starters) along with weeks clothes to bring in so had a 60L backpack which weighed 15kg. Over 40km/h an interesting sway would begin. Uphill was blooming hard and my shoulders are sore.

I went out at lunch time and the heat and humidity was oppressive. Very, very uncomfortable. I only had to hear the downpour this morning at 5am to make my mind up. Train seemed a better option.
Significant dose of pigheaded stupidity saw me through the commute :roll: . If I come back into this world again it will be as a Mule

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

Significant dose of pigheaded stupidity saw me through the commute :roll: . If I come back into this world again it will be as a Mule
and the only way to be at the pointy end of the commuter challenge is to be stubborn

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:
g-boaf wrote:

and the only way to be at the pointy end of the commuter challenge is to be stubborn
I am failing there- mainly due to working away one week every month. Kms's are down this year so had to increase the quality (from piss poor to poor quality) of my riding.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:05 pm

jasonc wrote:I don't know if you could call them commutes....
Of course they were. Replaced a car trip to and from L'Étape. (Thankfully I didn't get stuck in the ski tube with the power failure like some of the slower folk!)