How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:18 pm

was great meeting my arch nemesis. would have been good to have gretaboy/andre there too
hope to catch up with you again during the festive season

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Last night I didn't leave until late thanks to some last minute stuff coming in that required immediate attention and work. Consequently I didn't leave the office until 10:30PM. What a long day. A P-plater failed to check when pulling out of a car spot in Collins Street and so got a "Please look next time" shout from me as I passed by his driver's window. I was pretty much riding on the yellow tram hump in the middle of the road so he just didn't look.

Last night's sleep was interrupted due to my brain going nuts regarding the late night work (that also spilled over into things happening this morning) so that wasn't the best start to the day.

The usual morning run was interesting because I got to the Walmer Street bridge and hill just as two large bunches of cyclists were going in either direction. So the tight section of the path was full on both sides. This always makes me nervous as any slight move by anyone could cause a collision. But everyone was great and we all got where we needed to go in time. :) Then half the bunch going in my direction proceeded to run the red light at the intersection of Burnley and Victoria (yes, that light is ridiculously short). Ah well.

Lovely ride in this morning. From Macarthur into Collins Street I was part of a long long snake of cyclists. It was good to see so many. :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Another nice commute. First time through Norris Reserve in a month. Fence is down! :shock: Most of it, anyway. Too bad if you want to actually use the fancy new bridge :lol:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:13 pm

After many months I finally did a commute home from the airport on the kona, not the best commuter but did it, hopefully get another one done during the week :)

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:58 am

I think something is wrong if no one tries to clean me up at least a couple of times on the way home, so nothing is wrong and they were both Honda's, maybe there is a Honda conspiracy against cyclists.
No signature

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:42 am

I'm baaaaaack

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

jasonc wrote:I'm baaaaaack
Oh noes!!! :P

I've been having some good rides home and to work. Makes a huge difference when you're heading home at 10.30PM as compared to 6.00PM peak hour. The wind usually dies down at that time too and with virtually no cars the rides are pleasant.

Noticed lots of bike riders this morning. Poor lady cyclist in front of me in the separated bike lane almost got t-boned by a guy pulling out from a non-car park on Albert St just near the hospital who was not looking when moving his car around to exit. He pulled almost halfway into the bike lane before stopping to look. She had to take evasive action.

Apart from that and the tired muscles from the late nights at work, all is right with the world. :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:56 pm

You were gone?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
You were gone?
well i wasn't in Brisbane.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 pm

jasonc wrote:was great meeting my arch nemesis. would have been good to have gretaboy/andre there too
hope to catch up with you again during the festive season
haaha, I imagined the sizing up of commuter challengers meeting went something like this but in cycle gear.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 am

Last night I probably didn't make the wisest decision in carrying a big yellow Rebel Sport plastic bag home on the bike with me. I don't have panniers, only a backpack, and the new running shoes, AFL football and socks I'd bought that day were a bit ungainly. I tried three different positions and ended up carrying it in the crook of my elbow. Smaller bags seem fine to clip onto my backpack, but this one was too big for that and banged against the leg or got stuck between my body and my moving legs. The plastic bag was also breaking from the shoe box so I didn't know if I'd make it home before it spilled its contents everywhere (fortunately it did survive).

So if you saw someone trying to ride with a massive yellow plastic bag through the Melbourne CBD last night - that was me. :P

Then when we were going out to dinner on Victoria Street, we were walking along the footpath and this happened at about Church Street:

Tram driver: Ding ding ding

*CRUNCH*

Tram driver: DING DING DING DING DING (translation: I ******* told you not to go there, but you stupidly didn't look for trams anyway, you idiot driver)

A car had moved in front of the tram and the tram had rear ended it because of its silly move. Poor tram driver.

This morning I had two numpties undertake me on the left at the corner of Albert and Hoddle Streets as I was motioning the left indicating (and turning) driver in front of me to continue with his turn. Because of their stupidity they caused a back up of vehicles and did a dangerous move. If they obeyed the law, or even realised that they should slow down because the lady cyclist in front of them is obviously waving to the left turning driver to turn, then they might actually realise that traffic flows a lot better and they wouldn't have endangered their lives with their stupid move.

I told one of them what he had done was stupid when we were stopped at the lights in Collins Street. The other one I didn't get an opportunity to tell off when I passed him as we were moving and it wasn't appropriate timing, but from the violent wobbling of the out-of-true rear wheel (it could have wobbled off the ends of the Earth) maybe he just doesn't care. :roll:

Bicycle police were ticketing cyclists and motorcyclists at the tram stop on MacArthur Street between Treasury and Parliament. They had nabbed a lady motorcyclist who I regularly see using the bike lane to get to the front of the queue.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:03 am

saw a cyclist down in victoria park in Brisbane (on the city side). an ambo had been called by the time I'd arrived. he looked in a lot of pain

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

Interesting bike commuting stories #43 : When you realise that the reason why your right cleat was becoming difficult to release over the past few days is because the cleat bolts were coming loose...Because this morning you discover at work that your cleat is now held on by a single bolt.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 am

Summernight wrote:Bicycle police were ticketing cyclists and motorcyclists at the tram stop on MacArthur Street between Treasury and Parliament.
a bit off topic but I heard the police wrote $12k in tickets during Sunday's Around the Bay

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:31 am

__PG__ wrote:Interesting bike commuting stories #43 : When you realise that the reason why your right cleat was becoming difficult to release over the past few days is because the cleat bolts were coming loose...Because this morning you discover at work that your cleat is now held on by a single bolt.
Been there, done that :oops: Did you manage to unclip ? Mine was tough to get out so I could replace the missing bolt
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Commute was supposed to be recovery pace after weights last night but there are a couple climbs which mean business and it's hard to make 27kms disappear too quickly.

Hopefully get tomorrow done for 220kms over 4 days of commutes :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

I saw my first snake of the season last night, right under the M80 magpie's nesting tree. Getting attacked from above and slithered from below at the same time :roll: :lol: Big brownie, dunno if he's a resident or visitor but something to watch for TW. Hot, pollen filled northerly......gotta love them :?

And if the fella who was letting me chase him from Bell to Dunne St the other day is here, thanks. but you don't need to keep looking over your shoulder all the time. I'll yell out if I catch to pass :wink: :lol: Excellent motivation :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:38 pm

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:Bicycle police were ticketing cyclists and motorcyclists at the tram stop on MacArthur Street between Treasury and Parliament.
a bit off topic but I heard the police wrote $12k in tickets during Sunday's Around the Bay
You're $2,000 short (they got about $14,000 in fines). Did you get fined $2,000 while riding the ATB, JasonC and not tell us? :P

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:
__PG__ wrote:Interesting bike commuting stories #43 : When you realise that the reason why your right cleat was becoming difficult to release over the past few days is because the cleat bolts were coming loose...Because this morning you discover at work that your cleat is now held on by a single bolt.
Been there, done that :oops: Did you manage to unclip ? Mine was tough to get out so I could replace the missing bolt
Yeah I can still unclip. I'll probably take the right cleat off completely for the ride home. This is the 5th set of cleats I've installed and I've never had this happen before.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:43 am

__PG__ wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
Yeah I can still unclip. I'll probably take the right cleat off completely for the ride home. This is the 5th set of cleats I've installed and I've never had this happen before.
I wrecked a pair of road shoes once when a bolt came out and a stone got jammed in the thread and stuffed it.

Riding home yesterday I was waiting to cross Nicholson st on the Capital City Trail, a man and a women in front, together, about 20-30 riders behind. Bike goes green, they go across the crossing slowly, then slow even more, I overtake them, the women pulls off the path the man just stops and a cyclist slams straight into the back of him. One of the busiest trails in Melbourne and the idiot decides to stop in the middle of the path at the busiest intersection, not smart.
No signature

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:46 am

Rollin' rollin' rollin'. Nice rides last night and this morning. :D

The bike is growling at me - it needs a lube.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:33 am

Bentnose wrote: Riding home yesterday I was waiting to cross Nicholson st on the Capital City Trail, a man and a women in front, together, about 20-30 riders behind. Bike goes green, they go across the crossing slowly, then slow even more, I overtake them, the women pulls off the path the man just stops and a cyclist slams straight into the back of him. One of the busiest trails in Melbourne and the idiot decides to stop in the middle of the path at the busiest intersection, not smart.
That intersection is an example of infrastructure that no longer copes with peak demand. Another one is the intersection of Canning St and Alexandra Parade opposite the Dan O'Connell.
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

crog

Postby crog » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:36 am

lovely morning in Melbourne. Starting to enjoy commute and seeing improvements in fitness and albeit a little weight loss

Bike is ready for service this weekend though :-( FD is playing up and needs a lube

Hopefully next week 5 days a target I have yet to achieve yet

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 pm

I had a work event in the city this morning. I knew there would be no easy parking so I cycled. Then cycled back to the office at 2pm, before home at 5pm. I'm always a bit iffy about whether I'm really 'allowed' to use my bike as transport when I'm 'at work'. I've done it a few times when I knew it would take just as long to drive. It only took me 15 mins from the city to my desk, which would have taken just as long if I'd driven and had to walk to the car park at either end, but I bet if I actually asked about the official position it would be no. Someone would probably say it was too dangerous or something.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Hot, headwind, lotsa people on the path with dogs and earphones. Great ride home :D