How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Summernight wrote:
tez001 wrote:Dead quiet on the roads today, made for a relaxing commute in
Same here. Lovely ride in this morning - everyone has disappeared on Christmas holidays so there were significantly less people on the road. :)
Yep, noticeably less traffic. Wondering what Wednesday will be like, should be just about no-one around.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:00 am

Melbourne was deserted this morning. Lovely.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:29 am

DavidS wrote:
Summernight wrote:
tez001 wrote:Dead quiet on the roads today, made for a relaxing commute in
Same here. Lovely ride in this morning - everyone has disappeared on Christmas holidays so there were significantly less people on the road. :)
Yep, noticeably less traffic. Wondering what Wednesday will be like, should be just about no-one around.
There will be one less bike commuter on the road tomorrow. Last day for a week and a half today for me! Yay!

Humid ride in this morning. Last night I took an alternative route to do a chore and used William Street. City of Melbourne have removed a vehicle lane and installed a bike lane with buffer on both sides between at least Lonsdale to La Trobe to continue the buffer bike lane beside Flagstaff Gardens. It is great! A much better choice than the temporary bike lane that was there previously. :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:38 am

My new fenders at least got to do their job over the last couple of commutes. Drizzly ride in yesterday morning, and intermittent drizzle on the way back too.
This morning also had me riding in patchy drizzle, albeit in cooler temps than yesterday.

Decided to leave a little earlier this morning, just before 4am and take the shorter route via St Georges St PSP. Approaching one of the intersections, I was focused on the sequence of the lights and totally missed the fact that a section of the concrete surface of the PSP had been replaced with gravel, hit it at speed and nearly lost it. No warning/construction signs to be seen. :(
Also, the roads were astoundingly busy between 4-5am, one wouldn't have thought it was xmas eve.

Parking the bike in a nook at the office on level 10 now, as my access at my previous client's facilities has now expired. I also need to change at the office (small shower room), which means traipsing through the place in my cycling kit. Oh well, only skeleton staff on the floor until mid January anyway.

Looking forward to a four day break now.

Happy Holidays! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:12 pm

End of the commuting year for me (slightly over 4,000 km according to the Garmin), so for something different I decided take a late night detour through Centennial Park and add another 2.5km to the trip home. There's a very different feel to the place after dark, but the LCD torch did a sterling job lighting the way and if there were any nefarious goings-on then they weren't taking place on or near the Grand Drive.

One more trip home and that's it for 2014. Merry Christmas to all and I hope you find nice things under the tree.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:17 am

Squeezed in a quick ride before work. Worked out good as I had to pick up a package along the way. The next thing I know I'm trying to put my chain in a daze and trying to chase down after the other riders in the group (I said goodbye at teh same location about 15-20 minutes earlier). Still in a daze I started riding towards the port of Brisbane expecting to see them waiting on the side of the road but then I realised that it was just me now as I should be riding back to work. Instead I was riding away from work to the port of Brisbane. Turned around and started the 25km ride to work. Got there and the guys are asking if I'm okay. I had to lay down and that's when that saw the golf ball lump on my face and the scratches on my helmet and asked if I had crashed to which I replied no....i don't think so. Not long later I was in the emergency ward getting a CT scan.

http://www.strava.com/activities/232301524/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Squeezed in a quick ride before work. Worked out good as I had to pick up a package along the way. The next thing I know I'm trying to put my chain in a daze and trying to chase down after the other riders in the group (I said goodbye at teh same location about 15-20 minutes earlier). Still in a daze I started riding towards the port of Brisbane expecting to see them waiting on the side of the road but then I realised that it was just me now as I should be riding back to work. Instead I was riding away from work to the port of Brisbane. Turned around and started the 25km ride to work. Got there and the guys are asking if I'm okay. I had to lay down and that's when that saw the golf ball lump on my face and the scratches on my helmet and asked if I had crashed to which I replied no....i don't think so. Not long later I was in the emergency ward getting a CT scan.

http://www.strava.com/activities/232301524/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even with a normal CT scan, you can have long lasting issues - permanent cognitive deficit, mood swings, personality changes.
And there's not a lot that can be done for it, though it's wise to back off from strenuous exercise and working your brain too much.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Mood swings. What the hell you talking about mate :P

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Mood swings. What the hell you talking about mate :P
yes I was tempted to say no one will notice whether you sustained minimal brain damage.

if interested, do a few cognitive tests for visual and math memory, and vocab.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Vocab is out the window. Bit my tongue :P

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:31 am

I must be the only person commuting to work this week :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:35 pm

tez001 wrote:I must be the only person commuting to work this week :)
At least one rider in Melbs other than myself... I saw one chap heading away from the city on Heidelberg Rd near Fairfield around 5am.
Plenty Rd was quieter than usual at 4am, but traffic did pick up closer to the city.

Looks like a wet ride home this afternoon - typical, cleaned the bike over the weekend.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:36 pm

I've managed a couple. They have all been wet but it makes a change from the mud 30 degree temps we have had lately in Brissie.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:07 pm

I made the mistake of riding my Cervelo S5 in to work on Sat arvo. It was a lovely, lively, rewarding ride.
It made the commuter by comparison, that I took in yesterday particularly unappealing and unrewarding to ride. The leather tyres, high spoke count, heavy wheels and draggy cheap dyno hub combine to suck the life out of the bike :(
By the time I got to work I could hardly be bothered pedalling it. It seemed a chore.
Probably not helped by the fact that it was a night shift and after 13 years I loathe night shift.
Anyway, not riding the cervelo to work again, lest I find it impossible to ride the commuter again.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:01 pm

warthog1 wrote:I made the mistake of riding my Cervelo S5 in to work on Sat arvo. It was a lovely, lively, rewarding ride.
It made the commuter by comparison, that I took in yesterday particularly unappealing and unrewarding to ride. The leather tyres, high spoke count, heavy wheels and draggy cheap dyno hub combine to suck the life out of the bike :(
By the time I got to work I could hardly be bothered pedalling it. It seemed a chore.
Probably not helped by the fact that it was a night shift and after 13 years I loathe night shift.
Anyway, not riding the cervelo to work again, lest I find it impossible to ride the commuter again.
Agreed on not taking the fast bike to work. I always manage a few cups on the commute with the good bike. It's very rare on the commuter. However once the rain falls I am glad for the mudguards on the commuter 8)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes the mudguards and reliable lighting make the commuter the go to in the winter months. I just didn't realise the cumulative effect of all that cr@p was so pronounced in slowing it down, and how much more pleasant a lively feel makes a bike to ride.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:32 am

One final commute this afternoon and I'm done for the year.

Wishing you all a happy and safe 2015!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:06 am

Ok guys and girls, who is in for the 2015 commuting challenge on endomondo, I notice their are a few regulars in here who weren't on the the 2014 challenge, but would probability put in some big kms. Easy to set up endomondo and have on the phone or upload via Garmin or manually

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:40 pm

First commute of the year this morning and had the paths mostly to myself except for where they were blocked by crews taking down the NYE hardware. Rode down a nice little temporary ramp covering a flight of stairs that they install every year and which I'm hoping will still be in place for the return trip this afternoon.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Absolutely best commute home ever this arvo. Gale force tail wind (almost) the whole way. This is after having favourable winds when travelling in the opposite direction to work this morning :D . This sort of freaky occurrence just does not happen :o
I'm taking it as an omen. Working at a different team location than usual and this one is quieter. I'm putting my name on the preference list for a transfer :)

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:14 am

I love Sunday morning commutes to work. Oh so quiet.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:06 am

First day back to commuting tomorrow (today - 12:05AM) and I can't get to sleep.

This should be fun!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:47 am

Still quiet on my commute in this morning along Victoria Rd.
However, Ive just fitted a rack and Topeak MTX bag to the trusty commuter and it just feels sluggish now.

Good workout I suppose and loved the fact that my back wasn't all sweaty from a backpack.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:45 pm

My temporary ramp was still there this morning (woohoo!) but I had to dodge a flatbed truck rolling ominously up the path towards it. I fear the worst :shock:.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:20 pm

First commute of the New Year for me. Nice to see it wasn't so muggy and humid this morning unlike the last few days.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix