How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 am

wet roads but no rain. yippie!
had a chat for most of the commute to paul from mount ommaney. g'day paul

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am

TailWind wrote: Looked at the radar at 3:15am this morning and saw a massive rain front heading south towards Melbourne. Left at 4:30am and put in some extra effort in an attempt to beat the rain into the Melb CBD. Made it as far as Collingwood when the first drops started to come down, but made it to the office only slightly damp 7 or 8 minutes later. It really started bucketing down after that, and still hasn't stopped, so take care out there, fellow wet-weather riders.
About time you folks in Melb copped some rain :)

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

I saw 4 other bikes. Lots of standing water along the billabong st stretch of KBB - BB and hubs will need a regrease...

Lowlight of the morning was the 4WD that ran the red light on North Quay - belted through a channel between a bus and a car which was stationary at the red light, and missed collecting a cyclist walking across the pedestrian crossing by about 10cm. That's right - traffic was stopped, crossing was activated, and Bob the Builder screamed on through. Didn't stop of course - slowed down, then sped off.

Brown pants to say the least, and that was me - poor bloke that almost got cleaned up will likely still be crapping himself.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

I rode in with my husband this morning. We have been alternating - one takes kids to school and one rides, but with rain and other commitments we would not have managed two rides each this week, so we booked the kids into before school care so we could both ride. So now I am at work completely wrecked because of course I had to beat my husband didn't I! :lol:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

I left home this morning in the dry but after a few kms that rapidly changed. Most of my ride was completed in an absolute deluge. The funny thing was that in a vacant block there was this old dude feverously completing this large wooden boat with lots of animals milling around. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

My Hotshot Cryolite which I thought had filled with water and died has accepted a charge and seems to be working perfectly. A trick that I've just learnt is to use a lump of blutack to seal the recharging port.

Last Sunday I cleaned the bike and lubed the chain - I might as well have not bothered.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 am

I timed it this morning and got in without being rained on. The paths/roads were all sodden and Kedron brook was under water still.

It's definitely rain bike weather at the moment. :)

westab

Postby westab » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

Good couple of rides this week - Monday was nice on the way in but looked like a storm was brewing at going home time. Had the choice of go home on time and realy punch it or wait and be late home when it had passed. Decieded on the first option - got changed and left. My normal commute home takes around 20min (9km) but yesterday I did it in 13min flat (rode a slightly shorter way at 8.13km) - some what of a record for me at an average speed of 37.5km. Most importantly I beat the thunder storm home by 10 seconds to make it all feel worth it.

Who else finds there is only ever pace to be found when there is the risk of getting struck by lightning :shock:

The ride in this morning was very slow and relaxed - but there is still petrol in the tank in case of another storm toninght. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

Last night was headwind. Again. Ugh.

This morning was wet, wet , wet, but enjoyable temperature this morning and I was kitted up for the rain so no issues there. Glad I didn't bother to lube up my chain yesterday. I'll do it tonight instead.

Only one impatient driver this morning who decided he didn't want to wait in the huge traffic queue the rain had caused, so turned left over two lanes and didn't even look for bicycles in the copenhagen lane/left lane. Only reason he didn't keep going and completely cut me off was because there was a pedestrian crossing the road at the time. I was going uphill so had no speed and went around him. I miss my GoPro.

On a good note I have had an update from GoPro HQ and my GoPro arrived there and is undergoing tests and possible replacement. Yay! I was concerned that it had been lost in the mail (as I had to write on the outside of the packaging that it contained a $400 camera. I so didn't want to do that as it is a recipe for an 'accidental' loss somewhere in the world's postal systems). Come back to me soon, my pretty!!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:46 am

Mugglechops wrote:First commute today since I had elbow surgery on the 25th Jan.

After Sunday mornings storm I had to ride down the road pictured.

It was only slightly better.
Nothing like he sight of power lines down to add some excitement to your commute :shock:

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Headed for home yesterday enjoying a rare tail wind. Upon turning onto the road where the tail wind would be of the best advantage, I hit a curtain of rain, which brings it's own wind directions with it. Head wind.. Grrrr. The roads were nicely congested due to late running roadworks (reduced lanes), but bike lines were running free and it ended up being a great run passing all the backed up cars.

This morning I was in the lane as usual, on approach to and through a roundabout. In the mirror I observed a quickly accelerating car coming up behind me, and appearing to be setting up for a shaving manoeuvre. I turned around and eye-balled him, and at least he slowed down and settled into his lane, but then began gesturing. Meh. On completion of getting through the roundabout, it's safe to duck left of the fog line on a slip lane and continue the ride. Old mate drives along side me stating that I am meant to stay left of the fog line at all times. Discussion followed. He spent more time telling me his version of the road rules than was the actual delay I 'caused' negotiating the roundabout safely. The roundabout is on a down hill, and any car that can catch up to me is probably travelling too fast.

Anyway the irritation caused by this person ensured I had a pretty quick run in this morning.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Had some annoying person turn left across me against his red light as I was crossing a road at a green pedestrian light this morning, kinda annoying but it was such a lovely day to be riding I didn't pay much mind to it :D

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

This morning I was inspired to put some effort in, and bagged 2 CCR points. This afternoon was putting in a little extra effort to make it home in time to either go pick up the big kids, or mind the bub so SWMBO could go without loading/unloading said bub.

On the way home I noticed a rider in front, on MTB so there were no CCR points going. Caught him relatively easily, him doing about 25, me 28. Waited for a little gap and passed, noticed he was fit looking. Pulled away and kept going, or so I thought. There was a headwind so kept pushing to get home. I looked around a few times and he was holding on, couldn't believe it, but kept me going for a great time to home despite the headwind.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 am

Ride back via MYT, Greensborough, Bundoora. The gravel section of the MYT heading towards Yarra Flats Park was in good nick despite the rain, in fact it was pleasantly firm and grippy, with only a couple of puddles in some spots. Felt it in the legs a bit after racing the approaching rain front in the morning. Pretty humid ride, lots of people about on the trails.
Muggy again this morning, saw a Surly Big Dummy coming up Collins St in the CBD at around 5:30am - gotta get me one of those :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:46 am

Have got a pretty bad cold at the moment, has really come on in the last two days. As such my commute this morning was a slow one as I didnt want to push myself too much and I simply didnt have the energy.

With the Pacific highway cut at Kempsey the last week or so, I have really noticed the increase in the number of trucks using the New England Highway. A lot of the trucks seem to be in a rush too. Has made me wary and alert.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 am

gretaboy wrote:Have got a pretty bad cold at the moment, has really come on in the last two days.
Hope you feel better soon mate.
gretaboy wrote:With the Pacific highway cut at Kempsey the last week or so, I have really noticed the increase in the number of trucks using the New England Highway. A lot of the trucks seem to be in a rush too. Has made me wary and alert.
Stay safe - hope they open the highway soon for you.

Good rides the last few days - have missed the rain the last few days and even enjoyed a few extra kms. I did have some CCR action last night - picked up some fellow commuters (3 total) and passed the and then got passed by a gentlemen called Graham on a nice CF road bike. He caught me about 3km after I got on the M7 cycleway (at Sunnyholt road) in Sydney's west - I had seen him but was just riding my own pace to get in extra kms last night. I continued to ride my own pace but he just stayed less than 100m ahead. the next up hill just after Symonds road I caught back up to him and had a chat - nice bloke. He got off shortly after that.

Enjoyed the rest of my ride - finished with a day total of 35km - not huge but slightly larger than normal.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 am

Humid.

I sweat so much during my morning jog that I probably didn't cool off enough even with my cool shower before I headed off to cycle to work - had to have another shower at work. Ick.

Glad I don't wear my work clothes on the commute.

Everybody behaved too, which was nice. :)
Got passed by a lady wearing 'active wear'. I really need to get better up those hills but the muscles just complain so much after a run. :oops:
And at one point all the cyclists I could see were women. Glad to see other ladies out there commuting to wherever!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am

Summernight wrote:And at one point all the cyclists I could see were women. Glad to see other ladies out there commuting to wherever!
that's definitely not anything to complain about

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am

When your morning cycling commute crosses path with a teenager riding to school on a fixie, who skids/slides the bike in order to slow down on a 10% descent..you know you are in the right suburb.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 am

__PG__ wrote:When your morning cycling commute crosses path with a teenager riding to school on a fixie, who skids/slides the bike in order to slow down on a 10% descent..you know you are in the right suburb.
No suburb with 10% grade hills can be the right suburb for a cyclist. Only sadists live there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 am

Dan wrote:
__PG__ wrote:When your morning cycling commute crosses path with a teenager riding to school on a fixie, who skids/slides the bike in order to slow down on a 10% descent..you know you are in the right suburb.
No suburb with 10% grade hills can be the right suburb for a cyclist. Only sadists live there.
coming from a person who lives in Brisbane..... :o

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 am

;)

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 am

I had a really strange ride home last night and again this morning. It’s really hard to describe but the best I can do is to describe it as not being wet. I know hard to believe but it’s true, there is probably a word to describe this not-wet feeling but I have no idea what it could be. :lol: :lol:
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 am

got a "Walking Wheeling Wednesday" school dropoff and commute in today. Walked in my bike shoes with cleat covers and that worked ok, saved me carrying a pair of sneakers or thongs in the backpack. Wasn't wearing socks though and got wet and now have two huge blisters on my heels. My own stupid fault. Anyway, got to work much quicker than the bus. Yay!

When I win lotto I'm getting a flat bar with disc brakes and mudguards and mtb shoes/pedals for this sort of walking and riding. :lol:

Might even attempt a river loop + school run + commute tomorrow if the weather stays like this. :o
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 pm

gretaboy wrote: About time you folks in Melb copped some rain :)...
Looks like there's more rain to come this afternoon...
gretaboy wrote: Have got a pretty bad cold at the moment, has really come on in the last two days.
Hope your cold clears up, 90km+ per day is no mean feat as it is...nevermind when you are feeling less than optimal
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote: Have got a pretty bad cold at the moment, has really come on in the last two days.
Hope your cold clears up, 90km+ per day is no mean feat as it is...nevermind when you are feeling less than optimal

Thanks...so do I. I just didnt have it in me this morning to do more than 45 k's, so today will be just 90 in total. So far this year this will only be my third day of commuting whereby I havent done 100+ for the day.

I have two weeks of holidays (forced by company) in March so cant afford too much time off the bike before hand otherwise you might catch up :)