How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lizzy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Was almost a ghost town this morning - school holidays?? Was completely on my lonesome from round Karrinyup Rd way all the way to Brady St.

Lovely temperature though, and made OK time. Happy Friday :D
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

coyote

Postby coyote » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:56 pm

oxonabike wrote: crisp clear mornings ranging between 13 - 16 degrees - that really gets us tropical dwellers rugged up for the ride.

Some "tropical dwellers", still riding in shorts and sandals, only put on a long shirt and it was a crisp 10 this wonderful morning. :wink: 8)

98octane

Postby 98octane » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Summernight wrote:
98octane wrote:Image
The gap is eating your phone!!! :shock:

is that behind Banana Alley? I remember riding down there. I'm glad I didn't look too closely at the gaps between the bluestones because they are huge... :P
Yes, it's Banana Alley. Always uncomfortable and dangerous to ride on, and much worse in the wet. Not to mention all the cars parked illegally.

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Wow, horrible cobble stones.
Second ride to work today. It was pretty cold here this morning.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 pm

I had an unusually miserable ride home today. It was dark as I left work and riding into a cold headwind it suddenly started raining big, cold, heavy drops that felt like hail. Nasty business. Once I got wet the cold wind made me feel even colder. Lucky the rain only lasted about 5 minutes.

What a contrast to my morning ride... sunny, warm, clear, spectacular! One of my best rides ever. So, one of my best rides and one of my worst rides in one day.
<removed by request>

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 am

First ride in about six weeks and first since surgery. Felt a bit wierd for the first few minutes.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 am

__PG__ wrote:First ride in about six weeks and first since surgery. Felt a bit wierd for the first few minutes.
welcome back PG

I've come down sick again. feeling unwell. but was well enough to ride, so I rode to work. slightly warmer this morning

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:52 am

Perth:

A first for me in somehting in the order of ten thousand rides to Perth - I never saw a single rider until 6:26 - I left6 af 5:02 so that's 1:24 including about half an hour on the busiest commute route in the city.

First time this year that I have had rain the whole way to perth. A few patches of wind, especially up the Canning as I rode through Mt Pleasant. Enough to make me alittle cool and glad that I had all my layers on.

There must have beena little wind sometime over night as there was a substantial branch blown onto the PSP fence in South Perth.

I think that is the worst that is expected for a while but I have not checked the BOM site yet.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:55 am

Yup.. My whole commute (cockburn to east perth) I would have seen maybe 6 riders, tops. That was with a later start as well (arrived at the office 07:50).. I guess Perth riders don't like the rain :P

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:23 am

jasonc wrote:I've come down sick again. feeling unwell. but was well enough to ride, so I rode to work. slightly warmer this morning
Don't overdo it! I prescribe rest and plenty of fluids for you :wink: Hope you feel better.

Dense drizzle out of the door this morning, but it eased after a few kms. Had a few more patches of light drizzle closer to the CBD, hardly enough to get damp in, but the bike's a gritty and grimy mess again from the road spray.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 am

Nice ride in this morning. The mystery death rattle that may or may not be the BB made itself known at the start of the ride so I thought that might be the day it died, but the noise then eased off so I decided to push ahead and brave my luck.
I put the neckwarmer on this morning, which kept the neck noticeably warmer this morning than previous mornings. :D

Friday night I almost got locked into the underground car park - between Thursday and Friday the building management had decided to remove the button that allows you to open the garage doors from the inside. Since my access pass doesn't allow me access to the car park from the outside or exit from the inside I have to use the loading bay to enter, but I'd been getting out at night by pressing the button. Not so on Friday night as they'd reinstalled a locked box in place of the opening button. :(

I ended up having to trundle the bike through the emergency exit and down a couple of steps, which was very ungainly considering I was clipped in and all. Hopefully building management can fix that up for me today as I don't want to have to trundle the bike all the way up flights of stairs and out the front entrance.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:53 am

WarbyD wrote:Yup.. My whole commute (cockburn to east perth) I would have seen maybe 6 riders, tops. That was with a later start as well (arrived at the office 07:50).. I guess Perth riders don't like the rain :P
Yep- miserable ride in- got 2km into the commute and it hit big time- massive winds and huge hard raindrops that hurt. Only lasted 5 or so minutes but was saturated and the headwind continued all the way to work. Not many out riding (saw about a dozen all up).

Going to have fun pulling all the wet gear back on this afternoon also :cry:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:53 am

Where did everybody go? Bike path was all but empty, hardly any cars on the road... Even the swooping magpie left me alone this morning! Wonderful commute this morning on a clear, quiet, icy and sunny day.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:59 am

I had a great ride in this morning. For several kilometres there was an eagle flying along the Schultz Canal keeping pace with me, absolutely magestic. How much better is it to be out on a bike rather than sitting in a smoke producing cage.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 pm

98octane wrote:
Summernight wrote:
98octane wrote:Image
The gap is eating your phone!!! :shock:

is that behind Banana Alley? I remember riding down there. I'm glad I didn't look too closely at the gaps between the bluestones because they are huge... :P
Yes, it's Banana Alley. Always uncomfortable and dangerous to ride on, and much worse in the wet. Not to mention all the cars parked illegally.
Wouldn't want to get my wheel into the gaps. :shock:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 pm

What a day, just kept getting stuck and could barely get any speed going . . . now, what was the problem?

Well, I had to drive my daughter to the airport and then drive to work. First, the airport. Say What?? Traffic jam back to the ring road, took ages to get in to the airport to drop her off. Amazing. There is only one way to the airport in Melbourne: the Tullamarine "Freeway". Not only is it a tollway for part of the trip it doesn't flow very freely. What a mess. Build a bloody railway line already.

Then back to town. Not too bad considering it was coming up to 8am but still huge amounts of traffic and presumably it does get worse towards 9am. I don't know how people put up with this day after day, it's insane.

This was the first time I've driven to work in 3 years so I'll be glad to be back on the bike tomorrow, no matter how cold it is. I really have a lot of trouble working out how people drive to work every day without driving themselves crazy. Surely parking at a railway station would be better.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:17 am

Yes! First commute since I broke my elbow almost 8 weeks ago. :)

Brisbane was warmer than expected, so let's see how the colder weather goes. Similar wet/slippery conditions along the river, few flashbacks to coming off and breaking bone. All good, took it pretty easy. Not so many cyclists out :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:24 am

saw a guy on sylvan rd ~50m in front of me. it was greasy and I'm still not 100% so I didn't bother catching him
As I approach land st I hear the sound of a bike going down around the corner. sure enough, I get around the corner and here's this guys sprawled over the road. He gets up and I help check over the bike. he checks over himself. all ok. i tell him that it's a dangerous corner and to watch out for the lines

Whorl

Postby Whorl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 am

Yeah, looked greasy. I took it very easy this morning. Still only about 5mins off pace from where my average was before, so all good. Feels fantastic to be back on the bike though! :)

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:40 am

Yesterday was a rare day that by the arvo the road was dry and no wind or rain. Given I had finished all that needed to be done round the house I set of for a ride. Was feeling good and beat a couple of course PBs. Then 12km from home a flat. Then discover the spare tube I hads valve was to short to for my rims. So had to ring the missuss to come and collect me on her way home from work.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 am

Whorl wrote:Yeah, looked greasy. I took it very easy this morning. Still only about 5mins off pace from where my average was before, so all good. Feels fantastic to be back on the bike though! :)
Good news Whorl, welcome back.

I am struggling with a cold & so taking it very easy on my commute. The really sad part is that really slow is only about 5 minutes slower than my usual effort :oops: Old fat & slow, I should be able to work on 2 of these things

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:00 am

DavidS wrote:Well, I had to drive my daughter to the airport and then drive to work. First, the airport. WT??? Traffic jam back to the ring road, took ages to get in to the airport to drop her off. Amazing. There is only one way to the airport in Melbourne: the Tullamarine "Freeway". Not only is it a tollway for part of the trip it doesn't flow very freely. What a mess. Build a bloody railway line already.

Then back to town. Not too bad considering it was coming up to 8am but still huge amounts of traffic and presumably it does get worse towards 9am. I don't know how people put up with this day after day, it's insane.

This was the first time I've driven to work in 3 years so I'll be glad to be back on the bike tomorrow, no matter how cold it is. I really have a lot of trouble working out how people drive to work every day without driving themselves crazy. Surely parking at a railway station would be better.
Yes, I've done the early morning airport drop-off. I've also done late midweek evening drop offs and Sunday morning ones recently. The early morning one was insane. We passed 3 accidents (rear-enders) in a span of about 1 km. They'd all just happened so the traffic hadn't completely banked up when we drove past, but on the return trip the traffic jam was huge. The mid-week later evening one still had lots of traffic (I took the free but longer route to the airport using the West Gate and Western Ring Road for that one and it was pouring rain) and the Sunday morning traffic AT the airport was ridiculous and not moving anywhere fast. I think accidents are so regular on that section of road that they've stopped mentioning them in the traffic news. I felt exactly the same as you when I drove it. They desperately need an alternative.

Last night as we head off from a green light, I let the first car in the queue go ahead of me at a pinch point (where the bike lane disappears on a curve to a speedbump and then there isn't a bike lane and there are parked cars so I merge and take the lane). The big 4WD second in line thinks "oh, she's a cyclist, she must go slow" so went on the wrong side of the road in a 40km zone with speedbumps to start passing me... Only problem was once I got up to speed I was right behind the car in front who I'd let go ahead and I'm just cruising. After the 4WD gets beside me on the wrong side of the road he realises "Wow, this cyclist is actually going the same speed, I can't pass both car and cyclist without speeding"... And brakes and slots in behind me. I'm imagining they had a mental breakdown at this point in time and never recover their aggressive Must.Pass.Cyclist mentality ever again... :P (I can dream)

This morning was lovely. I had a lovely chat to a cyclist at a couple of red lights regarding the Fly6 and my cameras. He said I could make a movie with the amount of cameras I had on the bike. I said I already had (well, unexpectedly getting my footage into the media is a short film, isn't it? ;) ). :D

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:58 am

So last week I lost two spokes from the back and the LBS replaced them (again). The wheel held up bravely for one and a half commutes... and then lost another spoke yesterday. That makes four incidents and the time between events is getting shorter and shorter.

I've kind of lost my sense of humor on this subject, so when they replaced the single spoke I said 'thanks but no thanks, that wheel is unsafe'. Upshot was that the wheel has been rebuilt with heavier gauge spokes free of charge and I'm back on the road again. For the moment.

Temperature up this morning to a toasty 11C and as the rain had stopped it was a pleasant ride in with the Marathons doing a sterling job on the trendy brick and stone shared pavements. Still don't trust the green painted cycleway surface though.
Last edited by FiveDaysAWeek on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am

Accidentally forged a new path to winter commuting happiness, was visiting the folks on the weekend and as I was leaving, dad brought out a travel mug that I'd left in their car so long ago I forgot I'd ever had it. He said 'I'll just put it there for you", and drops it into my secondary bottle cage, where it sits perfectly and upright. How has this never occurred to me before?!

:idea: :idea: :D :idea: The clouds part, the angels sing ... and now, on my way to work, I get a nice big slurp of steamy goodness at the traffic lights instead of just sitting there getting PO'd :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:37 am

I keep looking at my unused bottle cage thinking "that'd be a great spot to put a travel mug for a nice warm coffee on the way to work" .. for some reason though, I never do..