How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Bob_TAS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Bob_TAS » Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am

Short commute
Raced a train
Lost my chain
Warm day
Stuck inside
Run and hide

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am

Summernight wrote:Although checking the rear wheel after getting the front wheel fixed there is a spoke loose on that too.
time for some new stronger wheels me thinks. Have done over 13000kms on my pro-lite comos - tough as nails and $170 delivered to boot.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:Although checking the rear wheel after getting the front wheel fixed there is a spoke loose on that too.
time for some new stronger wheels me thinks. Have done over 13000kms on my pro-lite comos - tough as nails and $170 delivered to boot.
It's just a commuter bike!!!! Okay, it's my only bike but I don't want to be thinking about new wheels!!!

Do they come in maroon/burgundy? :oops:

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu May 30, 2013 11:51 am

Diabolical weather in Perth today. Was clear when I left home only for torrential rain and hail to hit me 5 minutes in. At least I had a tailwind.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu May 30, 2013 11:58 am

Staring at my bike before heading off, with that nagging feeling I forgot something. I did a sign of the cross, and that was all there, then headed off. 1 km into the ride I was thinking, "didn't know my front tyre was so loud. Maybe it's the wet roads." I forgot to pump up my tyres, and hadn't done so for a while :oops: Might do some furious pumping at lunchtime in the bike room.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu May 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Marto wrote:Staring at my bike before heading off, with that nagging feeling I forgot something. I did a sign of the cross, and that was all there, then headed off. 1 km into the ride I was thinking, "didn't know my front tyre was so loud. Maybe it's the wet roads." I forgot to pump up my tyres, and hadn't done so for a while :oops: Might do some furious pumping at lunchtime in the bike room.
What happens in the bike cage stays in the bike cage. ;)

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 pm

All the stars are aligned today on my commute, a whopping 27 kph average speed compared to my usual 22 kph.
One of the commuter scares me as he tries to cross the red light with the car coming. Luckily, the car gives him a room to cross safely. Do you guys get nervous when you hear some tyres screeching in the background of your peaceful commute?

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu May 30, 2013 7:28 pm

First ride to my new job, which is nearly 15k instead of 9.5. It took me a whole hour this morning which was a bit ridiculous, but there was a head wind, plus I realised riding home that it's a bit more uphill for the last 4k on the way in than it is coming home. Got home in 45mins so that was much better. I'm thinking I might need to start having some breakfast before I go, I was always fine to ride for half an hour and have brekky when I got there, but I was flagging by the time I'd ridden an hour with no breakfast. It was so lovely though leaving the office at 4.30 and riding along the river past the swans, and I got home just as quickly as I would if I had driven in.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

TigerFilly wrote:I'm thinking I might need to start having some breakfast before I go
that's just the extra distance. you'll get used to it very quickly

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu May 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Summernight wrote:
jasonc wrote:
It's just a commuter bike!!!! Okay, it's my only bike but I don't want to be thinking about new wheels!!!

Do they come in maroon/burgundy? :oops:
+1 for the Como's. I've had a set of them on my bike for 2200km now and can attest to the fact that these are very tough & reliable wheels as they cope with my weight (currently 110kg and shrinking) no problem at all while sustaining the abuse of my commutes with the crappy roads, potholes, bouncing over railway lines, etc while staying true and had no issues with spokes. Available in black and white only, sorry Summernight. :lol:

My commute in today was rather blergh, in that it rained the entire way in, and so i looked like a drowned rat by the time i got to work. Shoes were too squelchy to even consider for riding home, so i had to catch the train. Meh. Booties & rainjacket going on list for next bikestuff order in addition to a 1000 lumen Leyzene megadrive light to better pick out the ninjas that seem to have infested the bike paths after 5pm at this time of year. 250 lumen just ain't cutting it at the moment. :roll:

LM324

Postby LM324 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Finally a not rainy day! Third commute today. I am really enjoying this. Weird thing happened though, I was riding on the road and had a driver come up to me and say that there was a "bike track" on the side. I guess he was partially right. There is a thing that is kind of like a PSP but it is actually a normal footpath that was made slightly wider and has a bicycle and pedestrian symbol painted on it ... and goes for approximately 10 metres. He kind of said it as a statement, there was no bad or aggressive tone in his voice, and then he just drove off.

When I was putting my stuff in my locker a friend walked passed, I don't know him very well but he is in one of my classes. We said hi and he must have seen my panniers because he said "what do you think of Pinarello's wavy forks?" Completely caught me by surprise, I replied "they're weird" haha and then he then went his own way. I didn't know he was a cyclist! I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

I really hope it won't rain tomorrow, BOM says that there is a chance of light morning rain with a rainfall amount of 0 to 0.2 mm. What do you think? Before you tell me to HTFU :lol: there are numerous reasons why I can't ride in the rain with probably the biggest issue being all my books will get wet.

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Tonight was my first commute in almost 2 weeks where my right knee didn't give me any pain :D I damaged the knee on a 330 km Audax ride and haven't been able to go more than 10 km on the bike since without it flaring up (which isn't so good as my shortest way to work is about 15 km). I stuck with it anyway as I always seem to catch a nasty lurgy if I take public transport at this time of year, I'd rather put up with a bit of pain for 5 km each way than be layed up in bed for a week. Now I just have to start upping my speed again (I'm glad Kona is in another state or he would have added me to his list of scalps :shock: )

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:16 pm

Went to grab a quick feed at Sherwood on my way home. Sat down to put the sauce on my sausage roll when I noticed this in my rear tyre.

It's about a 30km ride home so hopefully it stood up and lasted the distance. Heading past the RBWH and it starts to rain. Going through the Grange the rear is sliding a tiny bit more than usual for the wet conditions but I didn't think too much about it. Didn't go too fast along the Kedron Brook Bikeway as it was flooded again suprise suprise. Not this bridge but the one further towards Toombul had water lapping at the top with water pooling all along the footpath until the crest. Pitty the newer bridge and bikeway section couldn't be built higher.

Heading through Chermside around a corner doing about 45 the rear starts sliding around more than I'd like so I did a quick check at the lights thinking it was a slow puncture but it was still inflated and the small nick was still that. Got home and noticed this little doozie. Thank god it didn't let go at those times I was doing the 'speed limit' around downhill corners :P

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu May 30, 2013 10:26 pm

How old are those tyres?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 pm

If my memory serves me right for this Continental GP4000S about 7 months or there abouts... orrrrr... roughly 6000km. 1500km of which was in the last 2 weeks for some strava challenge :P
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Well I had a ripper ride home. Didn't put a foot down after leaving the northern end of St Leonards Park North Sydney until the end of Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation bike path. Green lights all the way. :D

limbot

Postby limbot » Thu May 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Today on my commute to work I learnt that you need to hit driveways onto the footpath as perpendicular as possible. If you hit it at too acute an angle the front wheel catches and then steps out on you. Slight scratching of my bar end, little bit of skin off my knee, but mainly hurt pride as this happened at a very busy traffic light intersection :)

(First new bike in about 20 years and done more riding in the last couple of months than in those 20 years. Still getting used to 700c tyres :) )

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am

Lukeyboy wrote: Image
bin
limbot wrote:(First new bike in about 20 years and done more riding in the last couple of months than in those 20 years. Still getting used to 700c tyres :) )
good on you - welcome aboard.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 am

Was it wet in Melbourne yesterday afternoon or what?? With the headwind and wet conditions I spent the best part of two hours in the rain on the way home. Kit started to get increasingly water-logged after the first hour to the point where my socks were soaked despite the boots. Paths weren't completely empty though...had a couple of odd-balls, like the skateboarder that came flying down a rise on a very wet MYT, a chap on the Darebin Creek Trail in full wet weather gear riding hands-free and flapping his arms, another chap on a bike flying towards me with a big grin on his face with his Labrador sprinting along about 50 meters behind him.
Dried everything out overnight, good to go this morning. Paths and roads were still wet, so cautious ride into the Melbourne CBD. Was going to join the Copenhagen Lane on Albert St from Eades St, which is near the middle of Fitzroy Gardens, when I noticed that there was a river of water rushing down it. Fortunately, there was a drain a bit further along, otherwise all of Albert St would have been under water.
Looked back and saw that Albert St had in fact been closed off between Eades St and Clarendon St, with two police cars blocking the lanes. Hope they fixed whatever the problem was before rush hour.

Happy Friday!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:05 am

jasonc wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote: Image
bin
Straight in the trainer wheel bin!

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am

Excuses for me today, trying to raise the DTI (domestic tranquillity index) so I can go riding on the weekend. So took the little man into daycare today. Pity, was a beautiful morning!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am

TailWind wrote:Was it wet in Melbourne yesterday afternoon or what?? With the headwind and wet conditions I spent the best part of two hours in the rain on the way home. Kit started to get increasingly water-logged after the first hour to the point where my socks were soaked despite the boots. Paths weren't completely empty though...had a couple of odd-balls, like the skateboarder that came flying down a rise on a very wet MYT, a chap on the Darebin Creek Trail in full wet weather gear riding hands-free and flapping his arms, another chap on a bike flying towards me with a big grin on his face with his Labrador sprinting along about 50 meters behind him.
Dried everything out overnight, good to go this morning. Paths and roads were still wet, so cautious ride into the Melbourne CBD. Was going to join the Copenhagen Lane on Albert St from Eades St, which is near the middle of Fitzroy Gardens, when I noticed that there was a river of water rushing down it. Fortunately, there was a drain a bit further along, otherwise all of Albert St would have been under water.
Looked back and saw that Albert St had in fact been closed off between Eades St and Clarendon St, with two police cars blocking the lanes. Hope they fixed whatever the problem was before rush hour.

Happy Friday!
Nope, they didn't fix it before peak hour. Traffic was blocked all the way back to Hoddle St. Pretty bad. Would not have been fun on Victoria Parade either with the extra traffic. It was fun to cycle past all the stuck cars. Of course, they also blocked off the pedestrian/bike path beside so I had to do a little sneaky and ride through the park a bit. :oops:

The construction people were playing with dirt on the road in the closed off section. Maybe they had just finished fixing it? The water pipe near the hospital was still spewing water though.

Tightened my spoke last night as I bought a spoke key at the LBS at lunch yesterday. The spoke is now singing at the same pitch as its fellow spoke-friends. :)
I didn't ride home last night as I had theatre with my partner and mother so walked the bike in the rain as it was only a short distance from work to her place. I looked like a drowned rat too. :)
limbot wrote:Today on my commute to work I learnt that you need to hit driveways onto the footpath as perpendicular as possible. If you hit it at too acute an angle the front wheel catches and then steps out on you. Slight scratching of my bar end, little bit of skin off my knee, but mainly hurt pride as this happened at a very busy traffic light intersection :)

(First new bike in about 20 years and done more riding in the last couple of months than in those 20 years. Still getting used to 700c tyres :) )
On a similar note, back to this morning's adventures: On the corner of Spring and Collins/Macarthur I had my first proper fall. :cry: It came about from having the van in front of me indicate that he was turning left, so I went behind him, and then thought "I can pass on the right of him". Of course, this necessitated riding over the little yellow humpy things that the lovely tram people have placed beside the tram lines to give cars better notice that they are going to block the tram if they cross it. They have an initial lip that you have to get over, as well as being rounded.

It being wet from all the rain and me not taking enough care to actually cross it at enough of an angle resulted in the wheel sliding out from under me and me falling onto the tracks. I don't seem to have hurt anything except my pelvis (as that's the part I fell on) and as for the bike I've scratched the right shifter as well as having the chain come off and wrap around the pedal. :roll:

Luckily no cars or trams behind me so I limped off the road and got my hands dirty pulling the chain back onto the chainring. Thank you to the pedestrian and later on the cyclist who both asked if I was okay. :)

It was such a stupid thing to do. Why didn't I just put the brakes on more and wait the 2 seconds for him to turn left? So silly of me. Ah well, into the Dumb Cyclists thread I go.

Good news though is that for some reason my GoPro didn't start recording this morning, so my stupidity wasn't caught on my camera. :P

Thought I might not be able to get on the bike from the pelvis pain but the jarring was further up the backside on the tailbone so all is good for riding it seems. Gingerly sitting on my chair at the moment.

So the tram lines have claimed another victim.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 am

Summernight! :o Glad you are OK.

Perth: Brrr chilly cold cold! 2 celcius overnight by all accounts. This morning's shower was a notable exception to the 'better out than in' principle. I might ask my boss for a heated towel rail. Wore the full blizzard kit, only forgot the buff for my neck and kind of missed it, and was pleasantly bracing the whole way without getting sweaty.

Also the first commute on the new click-r system, happy to report that I remained at one with the machine, ommmmm ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri May 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Lizzy wrote:Summernight! :o Glad you are OK.

Perth: Brrr chilly cold cold! 2 celcius overnight by all accounts. This morning's shower was a notable exception to the 'better out than in' principle. I might ask my boss for a heated towel rail. Wore the full blizzard kit, only forgot the buff for my neck and kind of missed it, and was pleasantly bracing the whole way without getting sweaty.

Also the first commute on the new click-r system, happy to report that I remained at one with the machine, ommmmm ...
Yes it was a bit cold this morning, full kit for me also (four layers on top) and was pleasantly steamy by the time I got to work. Toes, fingers and ears frozen though, I just know the new windproof gloves and booties will arrive at home today. :cry: Felt like carp though as I spent the night trying to expel my lungs, just cannot get rid of this virus (over 2 weeks now). Internal debate about attending tommorrows group ride has commenced..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 pm

take care summernight. make sure you give the bike a good checking over on the weekend.