How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lizzy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:05 am

jasonc wrote:so ~70km/day. that's getting up there. A road bike should be able to do that very quickly. It'd really depend on the amount of climbing and the amount of stopping. If it's flat and not many stops, use your roadie. You can build up to 5 days a week and come and win the endomondo commuter challenge
Yeah by world standards it's pretty flat, but getting through the CBD is a g-d- hassle.

During which, last night on the way home, my rear derailleur cable decided to file for divorce from its lever at the bottom of the ascent to Parliament house. Yay. After a little bit of futzing around with possibly some of the gear but no idea, I figured my best bet was to tie it off and grunt it. Made it about a quarter of the way up before giving up and walking it.

Memo to anyone who saw me, yes I was broken down, not just (that) weak ... Interesting, when I've had breakdowns before work, assistance has been offered within seconds, not so much in the evening when everyone just wants to get home! (Pretty relateable really)

I limped over to Riders Choice, still open with it being Thursday so, Dog bless and keep them, they bailed me out :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:08 am

beautiful crisp autumn morning.
perfect cycling weather.

ruined by pedestrian smoking on shared path, leaving a trail of putrid smoke behind her..

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:34 am

nice commute with cancan this morning. got to work. had a message on my phone "Come home" *sigh* sick kid

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Another goldilocks day soon had to drop the arm warmers & enjoy the ride. Broke at least 2 UCI rules (sock length & discs) & uncounted velominati rules. My zen state remained intact throughout. Mt only downfall was being less than charitable as I smiled as I rode past the scattered remains of a 3 car nose to tail crash, cause, you know, rego fixes stupidity.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Painful. App. 20 days to go.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:43 pm

One way commute today. I got to work and realised the creaking from my seatpost was my frame breaking.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Mugglechops wrote:One way commute today. I got to work and realised the creaking from my seatpost was my frame breaking.
Bummer :?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:29 pm

fat and old wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:One way commute today. I got to work and realised the creaking from my seatpost was my frame breaking.
Not bummer - it's new bike time!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 pm

I was expecting it to break as it's got almost 11000kms on it which is the longest an alloy mtb frame has ever lasted me.

Lucky I ordered this a month ago

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 pm

jasonc wrote:
fat and old wrote:
Not bummer - it's new bike time!
I still reckon bummer, although when this happened to me it was a good reason for a new bike (I promptly broke that frame in 21k KMs too but this time claimed it on warranty, got a new frame but used the breakage to get a second bike while I was it is :P ).

Such is life.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:22 pm

That's what I am doing. I have been buying parts to go on the new frame and will hopefully get warranty on the old one so I gain an extra bike ;-)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:40 pm

Mugglechops wrote:That's what I am doing. I have been buying parts to go on the new frame and will hopefully get warranty on the old one so I gain an extra bike ;-)
SOunds like a good plan.

Getting back on topic, glorious day in Melbourne today: warm and hardly any wind. Why would you go to work any other way? Mind you, there have been a few days of late when I suspect those in cars have been asking why anyone was on a bike and the puddles in my shoes would have supported their argument.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:14 am

I have named all the regular people I come across on my commute. There's a guy who looks like a Phil to me. There's the guy who rides with a handkerchief under his helmet, so he gets named Luigi. There's the girl walking her dog most mornings that looks a tiny bit like Celia Pacquola, so she gets the name Celia.
This morning I added another name to the honorary list of people I see on a regular basis: safety cyclist! Safety cyclist heads South near Frankston around 6 in the morning. He is lit up like a christmas tree (two high powered lights on helmet, one high powered light on handlebars, rear lights, full fluorescent backpack, fluorescent gloves, fluorescent helmet and fluorescent shoes (I think). Good on him for being so safety conscious. His lights are a bit bright on the bike path at times, but I can live with that if it's making him feel safer on the roads. Here's to you Safety Cyclist, congrats for making it onto my list!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am

RyanA wrote:I have named all the regular people I come across on my commute. There's a guy who looks like a Phil to me. There's the guy who rides with a handkerchief under his helmet, so he gets named Luigi. There's the girl walking her dog most mornings that looks a tiny bit like Celia Pacquola, so she gets the name Celia.
This morning I added another name to the honorary list of people I see on a regular basis: safety cyclist! Safety cyclist heads South near Frankston around 6 in the morning. He is lit up like a christmas tree (two high powered lights on helmet, one high powered light on handlebars, rear lights, full fluorescent backpack, fluorescent gloves, fluorescent helmet and fluorescent shoes (I think). Good on him for being so safety conscious. His lights are a bit bright on the bike path at times, but I can live with that if it's making him feel safer on the roads. Here's to you Safety Cyclist, congrats for making it onto my list!
I've got a few named on my commute. Occupies the mind while the pedals go round.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:50 pm

bychosis wrote:I've got a few named on my commute. Occupies the mind while the pedals go round.
Love it! Far more creative names than mine; I'll have to lift my game.
My commute route has been detoured due to drainage works underneath a section of the bike path. I now get diverted past a velodrome (that I only discovered a month or so back). Might have to give it a go one night (I'll take the panniers off first). It'd be a good way to rack up a few more commuter challenge km's (might be pushing the boundaries of the commuter challenge rules though... :lol: )

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:14 am

RyanA wrote:
bychosis wrote:I've got a few named on my commute. Occupies the mind while the pedals go round.
My commute route has been detoured due to drainage works underneath a section of the bike path. I now get diverted past a velodrome (that I only discovered a month or so back). Might have to give it a go one night (I'll take the panniers off first). It'd be a good way to rack up a few more commuter challenge km's (might be pushing the boundaries of the commuter challenge rules though... :lol: )
Nothing wrong with extended commutes but the amount of kms you are racking up lately does make me somewhat question what the hell you are doing

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 am

jasonc wrote:
RyanA wrote:
Nothing wrong with extended commutes but the amount of kms you are racking up lately does make me somewhat question what the hell you are doing
Commuting 52ish km's to work daily, plus I rode 60km last weekend to pick up a new car, did an extra shift at work the week before (+52km), rode around to car yards the day before (+30km), did a tafe course that was 40km from home for 2 days which added 20km per day to my normal commute. I only drive the car when I absolutely have to.
I have another half day at work this weekend too, so there will be another extra 52km's.
I'm feeling it though. I haven't had the motivation to ride my MTB for ages :cry:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:07 am

RyanA wrote:I'm feeling it though
take a week off :D

edit: I did a multi-mode commute home last night - ride to a bike shop with a mate. then it bucketed rain as we were about to leave. so we got the train to a station near home and dealt with wet roads for the last few kms.

wet roads and drizzle this morning. those who rode in later had better weather

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:07 am

jasonc wrote:
RyanA wrote:I'm feeling it though
take a week off :D
Fear not, I am taking 2 weeks holiday in early June. I just want to touch 1st place before then; it will likely be the only time I get there.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:13 am

Still painful. Going up 3 sizes in bike has me using all sorts of weird muscles. Going up 3 times in bike weight the same. meh, still better than the car, although those northerlies.......bring on the rain. Please.

18 days to go. Then I'll be hunting you Ryan :wink: :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:24 am

far out it's going to be squeezy at the top this year. Ryan's on a mission, f&o is hurting, and I've got some of my mojo back.
The top 5 will be very interesting viewing

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:41 am

happier times, checking a job in the north... :(

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:12 pm

There was a police blitz yesterday afternoon at the usual Pyrmont Bridge intersection.
Didnt notice any misbehaving there :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:16 pm

tez001 wrote:There was a police blitz yesterday afternoon at the usual Pyrmont Bridge intersection.
Surprisingly they seemed to be talking to pedestrians as well as cyclists.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:
tez001 wrote:There was a police blitz yesterday afternoon at the usual Pyrmont Bridge intersection.
Surprisingly they seemed to be talking to pedestrians as well as cyclists.
Checking IDs and bells?