How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Northerly on the way in today, Southerly on the way home. Ok if you travel in to or near town from the Northern suburbs but damned unfair for those of us going the other way.

Still, better to be riding than stuck in traffic.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am

I copped a puncture this morning. Can't complain as it's only the 2nd in about 4,000kms and there was a nice bit of grass to work on.

Looking forward to the Southerly after work...make a very nice change not to pedal into a headwind on my way home.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Well I moved house and after 6 months of practicing with a 10 minute 3km trip, I guess I'm a proper commuter now. Approx 15 km each way. The breakdown being 6 km lovely dotted dedicated bike path, 4 km on quiet suburb road, and 5 km I hope I don't get doored/flattened by a bus city main road riding.

I got a new cross bike 4 weeks ago and it's perfect. My lights are pretty good. I've been using a backpack but the sweat was just ridiculous and have ordered some panniers and a rack and am keen to try that out. I think I will also have to buy a decent bell for the bike path. I have one but it's so quiet it's pretty useless.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Andrew - search for an airzound

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:53 pm

It's nice just pulling on a jersey and knicks in the mornings rather than all the winter layers. Although soon enough it'll be like riding home in a fan forced oven come summer time :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 pm

T-shirt weather, hazaa ... Nice ride in this morning, my energy levels must finally be on the improve because I found myself with an appetite for CCR all of a sudden - two scalps today :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Lizzy wrote:T-shirt weather, hazaa ... Nice ride in this morning, my energy levels must finally be on the improve because I found myself with an appetite for CCR all of a sudden - two scalps today :mrgreen:
My first thought was "Credence Clearwater Revival?" and I got confused before I figured it out :mrgreen:

I spied another commuter off in the distance as soon as I hit the PSP. It took me all the 5-6kms of PSP riding to catch him but I overhauled him in the last 150m (uphill) before turning off :D I've got no power on the flats but I seem to slowly catch a lot of people on the uphill sections.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am

Non cycling friends dont understand when I tell them that if you spot another cyclist in front you have to catch them...and no point catching them if you dont pass them and no point passing them and then collapsing in a heap because your absolutely stuffed.. you have to keep pushing to get a buffer by which time you spot another cyclist in front...and so it continues..
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 am

Then there is the disappointment when you spot that cyclist ahead but you to quickly catch and easily pass because the other cyclist is much further down the ladder.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 am

Bucketing down as I was getting ready to leave, but the rain stopped just as I went outside, so had to strip off 1/2 way in. Better than the other way I suppose

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Yesterday on the way in I went extend-o-mute. Making good time, working to a reasonable level. Had planned a bit of a break while on a nice long descent, but just as I was relaxing a hipster passed me on his 3spd fixie style bike. Of course I couldn't let that go so decided to catch up, which then led to him cranking up a bit and me etc etc until I ended up with a PR on the section and some worn legs about half way into 45km. Damn you MGIF.

Waited out the hailstorm and the office watching the near golf ball size hail from indoors. Then nearly left it too late before the next storm rolled in. Only got a few drops on the ride, but it hammered down not long after getting home.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 pm

They hail was pretty bad up here yesterday too. Wasn't riding at the time but it was bad enough to make everyone consider their insurance plans.

Well with today I've done 1 week of proper commuting. Totals for the week are 154km, 1390m and 5h45m. Looking forward to getting some panniers, my backpack gets pretty uncomfortable after 20 mins being so hot and sweaty.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:25 am

Broke the rear derailleur cable going home yesterday... bit of a grind as I had a head wind and a bit of climbing to get home... have a mtb ride after work today so on my CX bike which is set up for bike-packing for the day..this then created a bit of CCR since it doesnt look good being passed by a bike with off road tyres and bike packing bags (which are mostly empty) and back pack... most picked up their pace but then I re passed them as they ran out of puff... except the last 2... one I finally managed to drop but I had to sit over 40km/hr and the other guy I passed once we got to a climb... was wrecked when I got to work but I have a rule that if I get to work before 8am then I do Mt Eden repeats (work at the base )... luckily I only had to do 2 repeats... needed a sleep after my shower
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm

CCR fail this morning, just couldn't catch that guy in the red jersey... :D

kb

Postby kb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 pm

4°C. Should have gone the tights and long fingers. Spectacular misclip taking off at a roundabout. Dropped chain, bike and myself. Twisted bars, bruised, arm, leg, chest and ego :-)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:44 pm

jasonc wrote:Then my fly 6 wouldn't turn on. Joy

Update: Fully charged fly6 using original cable. It now turns on

My Fly6(v) worked on my way to work, but not on the way home (I discovered it hadn't recorded when I went to turn it off). I had to back up the folders and files on it (minus the footage, didn't need any of it). Formatted the card, copied the data back onto it, and all good, for now.
I like having these cameras on my bike for peace of mind, but they do seem a bit buggy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Mububban wrote:
jasonc wrote:Then my fly 6 wouldn't turn on. Joy

Update: Fully charged fly6 using original cable. It now turns on

My Fly6(v) worked on my way to work, but not on the way home (I discovered it hadn't recorded when I went to turn it off). I had to back up the folders and files on it (minus the footage, didn't need any of it). Formatted the card, copied the data back onto it, and all good, for now.
I like having these cameras on my bike for peace of mind, but they do seem a bit buggy.
mine has now failed to the point that it won't turn on so it currently in transit on the way back to Cycliq.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:48 am

It's bad enough being deliberately endangered by motorists in Melbourne, without cyclists doing it also! :evil: I was heading west on Bridge Rd in Richmond, about to ride out of the tram super-stop at the top of the hill just west of Lennox St, so I was merging right, to get past the parked cars. Then some idiot rides through the narrow gap between me and the railing on the outside of the tram stop, barely missing me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Nice enough this morning, pleasant temperature and felt okay. Tonight, legs stuffed, just sore and tired. No commuting on bike tomorrow I think. Yawn... Again... I think I'm just about done for the day.
Mububban wrote:CCR fail this morning, just couldn't catch that guy in the red jersey... :D
I don't see too many other riders at the time I leave, and certainly not in my area going the way I do so I don't get much of a chance. But it's a commute though, try not to get sweaty. I'm still not too slow.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Drafted behind a guy of similar speed as me for a couple of k's, then made sure to take my turn for a couple before I turned off. I honestly don't care if someone drafts behind me without taking their turn, but I always try to take my turn if I get a tow to return the favour :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 pm

After busting out the kms for the Great Cycle Challenge last month I've decided it's 'dirt month' to maximise the fun and not be concerned about plain old kms.

Left it a little late this morning, and so made fairly good time 'up and over', but not enough time to cool down before showering. Raced into the shower, washed, dried, dressed in record time ... and entered the office to looks of concern/amusement at my condition and to need drying again. Fortunately I made the meeting and it was 15min drive away so I had time to compose myself.

HausFinch

Postby HausFinch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 pm

I have a question about passing or following another. On my commute one day a rider on a $6000 time trial bike passed me at the halfway mark on the bike path home. I was riding my rigid steel MTB with 2" tyres, fenders, dynamo hub, panniers, etc. As he passed I accelerated to draft behind him, staying within about a foot distance behind for about two kilometres. Suddenly he slammed on the brakes and I swerved smoothly round him and kept going. At the next climb he waited til I was slow toward the top and passed me with gusto so i couldn't jump back on his tail.

My question is- would you ever be so annoyed with a person behind you that you would intentionally try to cause an accident? Was I being a jerk? I know if I wanted someone to get off my tail I'd simply slow down my cadence and give them a hand signal to pass me. I've been riding seriously for over four decades and I've never experienced anything like what that guy did. I wonder what people think is a reasonable response?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 pm

HausFinch wrote:I have a question about passing or following another. On my commute one day a rider on a $6000 time trial bike passed me at the halfway mark on the bike path home. I was riding my rigid steel MTB with 2" tyres, fenders, dynamo hub, panniers, etc. As he passed I accelerated to draft behind him, staying within about a foot distance behind for about two kilometres. Suddenly he slammed on the brakes and I swerved smoothly round him and kept going. At the next climb he waited til I was slow toward the top and passed me with gusto so i couldn't jump back on his tail.

My question is- would you ever be so annoyed with a person behind you that you would intentionally try to cause an accident? Was I being a jerk? I know if I wanted someone to get off my tail I'd simply slow down my cadence and give them a hand signal to pass me. I've been riding seriously for over four decades and I've never experienced anything like what that guy did. I wonder what people think is a reasonable response?
Call him a D***head and keep riding. I wouldn't worry too much, clearly the cyclist on the expensive bike was upset you could keep up on a slower bike. You hurt his ego, and let's face it, that's his problem.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

boneyfish

Postby boneyfish » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:40 pm

My last commute to work was almost three weeks ago. Riding along and had a car turn out from a side street in front of me. Swerved to avoid him, and went over median strip, broke my collar bone and front wheel. Still recovering so not been back on the road.

So yeah, my last commute to work s*cked.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 am

Ooh. No good boneyfish. Heal well