How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:35 am

TailWind wrote:Hoping my kit dries out for the afternoon commute.
leave the bike and kit overnight, it'll be dry for tomorrow arvo

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Usual route but a hard slog this morning. Could by my legs haven't recovered from a major weekend of dancing.

sorted

Postby sorted » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 pm

A good run today - nice weather in Perth and a beautiful sunset on the way home.

Also the first day in nearly a week without a puncture. Not feeling the love for skinny road tyres at the moment! Actually, I like the tyres, it's just that they're a lot more vulnerable than my MTB to the local sport of smashing glass bottles on any tarmac surface (the more remote, the better).

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:56 pm

Yep, bit wet this morning. Good thing it cleared as I had to go between campuses today.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am

Donned the base layer today, not 100% sure it was necessary, but definitely appreciated. Sunny, but quite cool.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Hoping my kit dries out for the afternoon commute.
leave the bike and kit overnight, it'll be dry for tomorrow arvo
All dried out :mrgreen:
Uneventful rides yesterday afternoon and this morning....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:57 am

legs are slowing coming back to me after the weekend

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:25 am

Slow commutes yesterday and today - back on the 29er with Pannier as I broke a spoke on the roadie on Friday. Hopefully have that back today.. It has been kind of nice to go back to plodding along on the 29er with 38mm tyres and the disc brakes are certainly much better than the 11yo Tektro calipers on the road bike, but definitely prefer the Samurai to the MTB for the 30km commute.

Didn't leave work until almost 7pm last night -.- Glad to have my SSx2 light on the bars but know now not to trust it for long night rides. Had it on "medium" for most of the ride, and after about 30 minutes it showed 2/3rd battery (2 green lights), another half hour or so and it then cut out completely. Still showing 2 green lights when it cut off... Thankfully I was almost home by then and on well lit roads so not a problem, but I had been planning to start getting in a bit of night MTB'ing in the near future, using these lights, so will have to keep that in mind.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 am

Apparently Wednesday is the slowest day on Sydney's roads - I wouldn't know about that as the cars seemed just as slow as always when I rode past :mrgreen:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 am

I caught an orange or red at every single traffic light I went through this morning. Every single one!!! :evil:

Otherwise, cool but uneventful, which suits me just fine. I think about 8 of my 13km each way is on dedicated bike paths or clearly marked lanes, so I haven't had more than a couple of mildly scary vehicle interactions in 700km so far. Drivers not looking right when entering roundabouts, and one delivery truck driver not looking in general.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:57 am

Mububban wrote:I caught an orange or red at every single traffic light I went through this morning. Every single one!!! :evil:
Odd that it's a problem, since the majority of Australian motorists would assume that wouldn't hold up a bicycle at all.... :lol: :lol: :roll:
find_bruce wrote:Apparently Wednesday is the slowest day on Sydney's roads - I wouldn't know about that as the cars seemed just as slow as always when I rode past :mrgreen:
Same here :mrgreen:
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:17 pm

car crash on the commute home. i'm ok, as is the bike (not my bike - eek!)

cruising down besides stopped cars in the bike lane along sylvan rd, a car turned right from sylvan rd into Earle Ln took a gap between the stopped cars (had only just appeared as I approached the car behind). she turns, sees me at the second i hit the brakes (yell "!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!"). I hit the car between the door and the wheel arch with my right thigh. mate behind hits me slamming my left leg into the top tube. neither of us go down.

I'm going to have the biggest bruise tomorrow

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:37 am

Geez it was a wet ride home tonight. Still, bike will get an extra day to dry out as I can't ride tomorrow, going out for tea and have to wear a suit (I never wear a suit, this will be the first time in 3 years!).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:27 am

Had a dry commute back yesterday afternoon, even had some sunny spells along the way. Dratted northerly was a bit annoying, but not too bad all up.

Roads and paths were wet this morning though, and more grass slashing had taken place along the Darebin Creek Trail yesterday afternoon, making for a treacherous ride in the wet conditions.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 am

Yikes Jason, glad you and your mate, and importantly bikes, came out of that okay despite the epic bruising.

Hope this doesn't affect your commuting in the immediate future, and I am sure the blokes who occupy the top rungs of the commuting challenge ladder will also wish for similar with convincing apparent sincerity.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 am

jasonc wrote:car crash on the commute home. i'm ok, as is the bike (not my bike - eek!)
Damn! - glad you are ok! :shock:
What did she have to say for herself?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:16 am

oxonabike wrote:Hope this doesn't affect your commuting in the immediate future, and I am sure the blokes who occupy the top rungs of the commuting challenge ladder will also wish for similar with convincing apparent sincerity.
thanks Ox

The bruise has started to come up. it's going to be a ripper. have a couple of sore spots where the impact was on my legs (with the top tube i'd say)

..and yes, i'l still commuting

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:24 am

oxonabike wrote:
Yikes Jason, glad you and your mate, and importantly bikes, came out of that okay despite the epic bruising.

Hope this doesn't affect your commuting in the immediate future, and I am sure the blokes who occupy the top rungs of the commuting challenge ladder will also wish for similar with convincing apparent sincerity.
I absolutely hope Jason's good to ride. While the challenge is fun and it's tough at the (almost) top :mrgreen: , I'd rather see everyone safe and cycling, rather than me gaining a spot at the cost of their health....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 am

TailWind wrote:I absolutely hope Jason's good to ride. While the challenge is fun and it's tough at the (almost) top :mrgreen: , I'd rather see everyone safe and cycling, rather than me gaining a spot at the cost of their health....
thanks TW, appreciate it. if only we could do something about Andre

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:47 am

Wet in Sydney this morning. Hairy moments descending downhill on wet roads, and braking (road bike)... Take it slow in the wet, everyone!

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 pm

jasonc wrote: thanks TW, appreciate it. if only we could do something about Andre
Hey Jason - you just thought those legs were recovering from the weekend, then my wife rams into you on Sylvan road - that's really bad luck. :mrgreen:

In all honesty though, I'm glad it hasn't done any major damage to you (and the bike).

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:30 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:Hey Jason - you just thought those legs were recovering from the weekend, then my wife rams into you on Sylvan road - that's really bad luck. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nice one Andre

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Tuesday: Got another get-out-of-my-way honk on Albert St in the morning in the no-bike lane section - when I was overtaking another cyclist so really the motorist should have seen two abreast in the left lane. Which might be part of the problem.

Didn't get rained on that Tuesday morning, which was nice, although I wore my 'waterproof' jacket and ended up sweating inside it anyway so that wasn't any better. :)

Yesterday morning the legs were tired.

Yesterday evening's ride: One word: WET.

This morning: Nice morning for a ride although the socks were still a little wet from the night before.

I still haven't cleaned the chain, despite saying to myself I'd do it on Monday (was it Monday?) :oops:
Which is probably a good thing as when I said I'd do it, it then rained two days in a row.

The thing is now creaking at me, which isn't a good sign. Considering I got the BB tightened and regreased recently I'm hoping it hasn't come loose again.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Pleasant enough commute home on teh 29er last night, with the roadie wheel (now sans-brokenspoke) strapped to the side of the rack. Heard one comment from a pedestrian near the start of the ride that made me chuckle as a young lady expressed some surprise at seeing a bike carrying a whole spare wheel. No concerns, no issues, no rain, no angst. Just a slow steady plod home.

This morning back on the road bike - again, entirely pleasant. Changed the stem to something a little shorter last night and feel that it was the right move. Wrists and hands definitely felt better for it. Drivetrain is sounding rather noisy though (on both bikes) so think a good bit of cleaning is in order this weekend.

Summernight's post made me realise something too.. In ~2100km of commuting since I started this year, I have not been honked ONCE. Not one. Not a single driver has beeped their horn at me.. I've had a few close passes (had a motorbike this morning actually, was tempted to give him a serve but instead enjoyed that he positioned himself poorly and got stuck in traffic that I was able to filter through) and dirty looks, but not a single driver has felt so disrupted by my presence on their road that they have felt a need to beep at me. I like that. (Admittedly, probably 80% of my commute is on shared path, but still..).

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:25 am

Had to come in by public transport this morning after months of unbroken bicycle commuting, and quickly concluded that rain pissing down on the bike yesterday was better than being dry in a bus today. The seats were apparently designed for people with thigh bones half the length of mine and nobody seemed happy to be there.