How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

cancan64

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby cancan64 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:10 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
jasonc wrote:ah damn it. left work early to pick up my girl from school. less than 2 minutes into the ride the di2 stops reponding. so i single speeded home thinking it's a flat battery. but noooooo. it's either a dead battery or dead junction box. all connections have been tested/bypassed.
No flat batteries in my down tube shifters today :)
No problems with the single speed either, although I did go to change gear on one commute to realise there wasn't one, backed it up the next day on the roadie where I forgot I had gears when I stopped at some lights
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

frankn

Postby frankn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Every morning (as long as it's not pissing down) I ride the Lynton trails down to Mitcham(SA) then ride to work. In the afternoon / evening I ride back up the trail. After 4months off the bike my legs aren't quite up to a couple of the climbs on the track with the bike running 1*10 but give it several weeks and all will be good again.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:48 am

broke a spoke on the commute in this morning. am having a good run :(

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:14 am

Lots of red traffic lights this morning for some reason, oh and this guy:

http://youtu.be/0OMHGj08RN8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't you just love being intimidated first thing in the morning...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:54 am

had the spoke fixed at the cycle centre in Brisbane. kudos to yellow jersey in and out in an hour yesterday afternoon. got home and put the roadie back together. i failed to tension the crank properly, so near the end of the ride with cancan, i went home and fixed it.
then averaged 30.3km/h in :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Yesterday morning I got to officially use my Loud Bicycle Horn for real on a truck driver who decided to turn right into Little Collins Street from Elizabeth without looking for oncoming traffic first (clearly not expecting a bike and was focussing on navigating the crossing peds). The horn worked... and the driver didn't even look. :cry: The peds looked, but not the driver. Tunnel vision clearly at work there.

I should have probably used the horn a bit earlier, but I had to think where the button was to press it and hesitated because I didn't want to prematurely use it if he was going to stop (which a lot of cars do there).

Late night ride home after going out for dinner and then playing in one of those escape room things at QV, which was quite fun. We did it with 6 people (which is the maximum) and the husband accidentally chose the hardest one of the scenarios at that particular place for a first time. Good way to experience it is to go in hard! We survived and managed to get out with 3 minutes to spare and only one cheat clue/answer. :P

Lovely ride in this morning. The bike needs a clean and re-lube as it is groaning in muck.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:02 am

Good ride last night. Did a few k's of cyclocross style along the unsealed section for a change, and found the local BMX track. So did a few laps on that. Grouse fun, bit full on with the roadie though, spec over the whoops. Who said R5's were good for climbing only? :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:52 pm

My commute is usually nice and boring, every now & then it gets a bit exciting, like tonight. In the space of 900m I had one merchant banker undertake me via a left turn lane, only to be stopped at the next set of lights for me to give him a character assessment. 200 m later next muppet decides to change lanes into the road space I am occupying, 3 times!!! I lost it at this point and gave him a good spray along the lines of that was the third time and he should keep in his lane & stay away from me. Many colourful adjectives were used, none of them fit for this forum. Normal service was resumed & the remaining 9 km were nice and boring.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:37 pm

How was my commute? Sort of like a video game. Serves me right for taking main roads to Camberwell Junction.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:15 am

Decided to divert and do a lap or two of the Bay run on my commute in. Going around the shifting felt a bit funny in a couple of gears, skipping and being a royal pain in the butt. Get to work and check it out, gear cable has started to fray. Hope it holds up till I get home tonight. I dont fancy single speed 53 x 12 or 39 x 12 on the afternoon commute home

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 am

tez001 wrote:Decided to divert and do a lap or two of the Bay run on my commute in. Going around the shifting felt a bit funny in a couple of gears, skipping and being a royal pain in the butt. Get to work and check it out, gear cable has started to fray. Hope it holds up till I get home tonight. I dont fancy single speed 53 x 12 or 39 x 12 on the afternoon commute home
screw the H screw in all the way on the rear derailleur. it will knock it up ~4 gears

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Beautiful weather around here. Chilly mornings, but sunny and calm. Cruised in yesterday and again today enjoying the ride.
Yesterday arvo everyman, woman, child, dog, bike was out on the sharepath. Probably the busiest winter weekday I've seen in several years of commuting, especially considering it was a school day and only early afternoon - doesn't compare to weekends though. Had to use my bell a lot and slow for peds quite a few times. The bell and slowing didn't bother me, just an observation on the different conditions.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 pm

excellent tailwind in this morning...like 40kmh. Missed a KOM by one second, so must have been good. Wind's picked up though, and I have to get home. And the rain is coming..... :lol:

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:43 pm

Wow. Who opened Aeolus' bag?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:53 pm

language warning:

go the skids!

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
tez001 wrote:Decided to divert and do a lap or two of the Bay run on my commute in. Going around the shifting felt a bit funny in a couple of gears, skipping and being a royal pain in the butt. Get to work and check it out, gear cable has started to fray. Hope it holds up till I get home tonight. I dont fancy single speed 53 x 12 or 39 x 12 on the afternoon commute home
screw the H screw in all the way on the rear derailleur. it will knock it up ~4 gears
Thanks the cable managed to hang in by a few threads of wire so all was good. I did limit the gear changes on the way home though.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:46 pm

First work commute since my off 4 weeks ago. Very noticeable loss of fitness :(

Finding myself on the brakes a lot now when cyclists are riding towards me...
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:52 pm

I had a flyer on the way home, took advantage of a rare tailwind and not riding tomorrow, managed a 23km section at 37kmh and a 5km section at 40kmh. Whole load of trophies, couple of top tens

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:22 am

kb wrote:Wow. Who opened Aeolus' bag?
Obscure Greek mythology - love it! Which of the three do you blame ? :D

Was a nice sunny day so took the roady this morning - only 3 or 4 km/h faster, but feels so much quicker. Got left hooked by a merchant banker in a white van which took the gloss of things, but got over it. 500m later a nice driver left a gap for me to change lanes to avoid a stationary bus. Easy to forget sometimes that courteous drivers are, IME, more common than the homicidal maniacs, it is just that you tend to remember them less.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:09 am

So windy in Melbourne last night.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:29 am

Soggy and solitary most of the way this morning - but good to be back on the bike after a couple of weeks in occupational survival mode (was all I could do to keep going in by any means ...)

At one point in my hiatus I struggled down to the train station on the old pack mule, and left her in the bike cage there while I ran weekend errands. When I returned, the card reader had fritzed out, so I harrumphed and jumped in a cab. Meant to go back and bail her out the following day, yadda yadda, didn't happen, finally on Monday night after work I get back there - to see my busted lock and helmet on the ground where I'd left her. :cry: I thought - what?! Someone would go to the trouble of nicking my goofy old franken-hybrid with granny bars and a k-mart basket propped up off the fork with half a sanding block??

Called the security guys to let me in to at least get my helmet back - when I spot that she has been neatly returned to the other end of the cage, with the seat lowered down as far as it would go, but otherwise intact and with a bonus skateboard helmet left in her basket. Wonder what wacky adventures she had without me ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:41 pm

Lizzy wrote:Wonder what wacky adventures she had without me ...
more importantly, did you earn any QOMs? :mrgreen:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:56 pm

jasonc wrote:go the skids!

Makes me cringe when I see the people down the Collins Street hill doing it deliberately on their fixies. Oh the noise of rubber skidding! :oops:

Haven't posted for a few days.

Tuesday night was a tow truck parked with its ramp down in the bike lane on Elizabeth Street, Richmond (under the North Richmond train station). If one wasn't looking one would have had a nice ramp into the air. The cyclist right behind me did not share my enthusiasm in giving it a go and using it to sail off past the moon ala E.T. . :P

Used my horn again on Wednesday night to stop a car from turning right over me in Albert Street, the ped who may or may not have been about to step in front of me at the same time jumped back markedly and the car didn't go so it appears to have done its job. :)

Very cold this morning with an extremely slippery Gipps Street bridge and what seemed to be black ice. Not fun running on that. Not sure how all the cyclists riding over it coped. Guess it isn't noticeable unless you angle your wheels or try and brake or something. Cold ride in too.

Little Bourke was closed at Queen for the whole morning for an apparent suicide by building. Very sad. :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:10 am

Running late, frantically trying to find my front light before I left... Only about 4km on a main road... Just made it to the station with 2 min to spare. 35avg, 65 top speed, only got two red lights thank heavens. Sitting on train with bike... I won't cut it so fine next time. :lol: :oops: thank you TT bike, aero bars and empty roads.

Otherwise pleasant and nice temperature this morning too. May do 100km this afternoon if it stays nice.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:56 am

fat and old wrote:Good ride last night. Did a few k's of cyclocross style along the unsealed section for a change, and found the local BMX track. So did a few laps on that. Grouse fun, bit full on with the roadie though, spec over the whoops. Who said R5's were good for climbing only? :lol:
We have a BMX track locally? Whereabouts? Hopefully picking up my new Merida next week sometime. Wouldn't mind seeing what I can do with it off of the tarmac if only to freak out my LBS owner :lol: