How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 pm

that wind was unpleasant

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:48 am

Taxi running a red light last night decided getting to his destination was more important than the lives of other road users.

This morning was the ode to green light pre-empting cyclists who didn't actually know the light sequence and entered intersections while the light was still red. There is a road blitz going on this week targeting this kind of stuff, you know... :roll:

The prophesied Rainmageddon never eventuated down here. Looks like it got stuck on Sydney. Only a little bit of rain last night and nothing this morning.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:07 pm

jasonc wrote:that wind was unpleasant
Maybe ease up on the cabbage & onions then ::wacky trombone::

Cloudy & warm this morning, felt OK considering I cooked both quads sailing on the weekend. Went fairly hard as I had someone on my hammer all the way to the city. Awesome dolphin-watching break in Como, they had some kind of mosh pit going on or something. Turns out this came at the cost of me getting to work dry, rained for the last 5km. Nice though.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 am

Great commute this morning. Short one but it a good start after not riding for 5 days :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:18 am

The van driver on the corner of Macarthur and Spring Streets did what my spidey senses told me he'd do and whacked on his indicator just before turning and turned left without looking into the bike lane. Because my spidey senses know that that corner (in both Collins/Macarthur directions) is notorious for vehicles doing that I don't ride alongside cars at that point.

Even with that usual silly move, last night and this morning were lovely rides, creaking and all. :)

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 am

This morning's run was the first time this week that my cycling shoes ended a commuting leg drier than they began it. Milestone!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Good bad and ugly today. I was surprised today as a driver decided not to overtake on the right hand side of the road around a blind corner & then waited patiently for 30 meters to turn left behind me. Sad that on that particular stretch of road I am surprised by a driver doing the right thing. Similarly in a couple of points drivers were patient behind me, possibly recognising that the cars & lights ahead mean MGIF was pointless.

Unsurprised by the driver pulling out from a side street without giving way before thinking better of it.

Ugly was the driver turning left at the lights where I had a green bike to cross. Apparently giving way is only for other, less important drivers. Fortunately he stopped before ploughing into me.

Glad for the reminder that it is a small proportion of drivers that need an attitude adjustment

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Nice ride home last night, albeit in cold soggy gear from the morning's sousing. Actually dry-retched two or three times going past Petri Dish Lake near the Narrows. Bor. I seriously wish they would just drain the stankin' thing if it can't be kept nice. Can't be nice in the nearby apartments during a sou-easter, I don't even see much birdlife around there, it's too foul for fowl even.

Found the solution to the steamy glasses while stopped = perch them on the end of my nose and peer over them like a stern librarian :P

Waiting on the traffic island at Karrinyup Rd, a fellow pulled up next to me and did the Dance of the Near-Clipstack. He recovered his composure thankfully, as he was very tall and broad-shouldered - and teetering straight towards me - he would have flattened me and my bike! So we had a bit of a giggle about that.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Summernight wrote: Because my spidey senses know that that corner (in both Collins/Macarthur directions) is notorious for vehicles doing that I don't ride alongside cars at that point.
Spot on. If I come up behind a queue of cars at that spot, I'll hang back behind the car just about to enter the intersection. More often than not, they'll veer left without indicating.
Good rides yesterday arvo and this morning.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Lizzy wrote:Found the solution to the steamy glasses while stopped = perch them on the end of my nose and peer over them like a stern librarian :P
Welcome to the stern librarian club! I also do that when it is too wet to see through the glasses but I don't want to take them off because the whipping wind and rain will hurt more if they're off. :P

kb

Postby kb » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm guessing when you talk about looking over glasses you don't mean -9 dioptre like mine ;-) (Although I do work in a library...)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 am

honourable reasons thread for me today - sick daughter

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

jasonc wrote:honourable reasons thread for me today - sick daughter
Now awaiting the apparently sincere well wishes from Tailwind! 8)

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 am

oxonabike wrote:
Hope she gets better soon Jason [sincere]... you'll probably catch what she has so you might as well take a week recovery just in case. :mrgreen:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am

kb wrote:I'm guessing when you talk about looking over glasses you don't mean -9 dioptre like mine ;-) (Although I do work in a library...)
Haha, no. No vision issues for me yet. :P

I came down with a sore throat yesterday which makes riding around the city interesting as, if a bad smell hits me at the moment, I don't do so well. Bad smells include cigarette smoke (I can't stand the smell even when not sick). Other than the sore throat and general feeling of ick, the rides were fine. Had a fail to give-way as the car crossed the bike lane to turn left on Albert at the Hoddle Street intersection last night, but I was expecting it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:14 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
oxonabike wrote:
Hope she gets better soon Jason [sincere]... you'll probably catch what she has so you might as well take a week recovery just in case. :mrgreen:
I almost had you too Andre!
She could have gone to school today but we figure one more day was probably a good idea. So if anyone gets sick, it'll be Mrs JasonC

Andre - you should join the weekend wanderers (it's under Queensland) - next ride is the 30th

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
AndreB1972 wrote: Now awaiting the apparently sincere well wishes from Tailwind! 8)
Honestly, I'd rather see everyone healthy and happy and riding, so yeah, hope your kiddo comes right soon, Jason.
As for me, well, over the last 4 years I've been in positions (in chronological order) 4,1,2,3 - P3 being this year ...clearly slipping ..must work harder :mrgreen:

Melbourne's great for riding at the moment, looks like a false spring, undoubtedly there's a weather smackdown in the not-too-distant future.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 pm

it's been a bit unfair for you last and this year though TW
gretaboy doing ~100km/day last year and andre this year smashing both of us. looks like mrs jasonc is going to let me do the 2 and half weeks in melbourne for around the bay in October. So you'll sew up p2 this year

98octane

Postby 98octane » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 pm

A few very fast rides to work this week, including at PB (AT) ~35kph avg. A weekend of skiing must have been good for my legs!

Really noticing its getting lighter and warmer in Melbourne. A perpetual puddle on the Gardiners Creek Trail has finally dried up.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:25 am

damp and drizzle here. nothing too unpleasant

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:55 am

Dragged myself out of bed this morning even with this icky cold. Went for my morning run along the Boulie and MYT. Muscles and lungs were struggling due to the illness but it felt good to be out there.

Same with the ride to work. Except for the work at the end part but I couldn't justify being sick enough to miss work for the day.

What a beautiful day it is looking to be. If it could be this temperature year round I'd be happy. :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 pm

Mega fail this morning- pulled out the TCR for the commute (one good news is the FLY6 is up and running) and really struggled with a moderate headwind and a mild headcold. Struggled far more than I should - checked the back wheel twice- all good, just put it down to fridayitis also.

Got off the bike to get some money out of the ATM and pushed the bike- lo and behold front brake is jammed up against the rim- why didn't I check it whilst riding :oops:

Oh well- resistance training day

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 pm

While it sucks to be working on Sunday at least it gave me a chance to take a different route in to work, set a PB on the Plain St hill and pick up a +1 in CCR after a roadie overtook me taking off from the lights before the Causeway and I took the lead back and held him off till I turned off on Plain St.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:42 am

Beautiful day on Friday here in Melbourne. A little chilly to start with, but a super afternoon for the multi-hop commute back home.
Drizzly, rainy, wet this morning though, don't know why I bothered cleaning the bike over the weekend...didn't even last 5 minutes this morning before it was gritty and grimy again....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 am

TailWind wrote:Drizzly, rainy, wet this morning though, don't know why I bothered cleaning the bike over the weekend...didn't even last 5 minutes this morning before it was gritty and grimy again....
I know how you feel TW. Thankfully the weather was perfect this morning after spending an hour making my bike look white again last night after Friday's rain