How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 am

Last night there were very strong winds. I wasn't sure that riding the really long way this morning was going to be a wise choice. Woke this morning to fantastic morning, calm and cool. 45km instead of 6km direct was well worth it, especially as the majority was on cycle paths and no traffic to worry about.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:22 am

Was most perturbed yesterday when a cop can set off their siren exactly as I passed 1m in front. I immediately thought about what real or imagined offence I was about to get berated for. Fortunately however they were after the moron Taxi driver who had just driven through the red light in the lane next to them. :roll:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Good tailwind home last night allowed me to finally bag a strava KOM near me right at the end of my commute. It was satisfying, as ive tried a couple of times. :mrgreen: (it's only a slight detour........)

As per J's comments, temps in Brissy are very pleasent at the moment.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:Good tailwind home last night allowed me to finally bag a strava KOM near me right at the end of my commute. It was satisfying, as ive tried a couple of times. :mrgreen: (it's only a slight detour........)

tail wind? most of my commute home last night was very unpleasant into a head/side wind
brooky tomorrow?

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:Good tailwind home last night allowed me to finally bag a strava KOM near me right at the end of my commute. It was satisfying, as ive tried a couple of times. :mrgreen: (it's only a slight detour........)

tail wind? most of my commute home last night was very unpleasant into a head/side wind
brooky tomorrow?
Ah yea you're right, Western freeway was a side/headwind, the slight detour I took, aligned for a perfect tail wind. :mrgreen:

Brooky, hmm possibly, legs are pretty tired, plus i'm riding Saturday and Sunday, usually have a commute only day on Fridays.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Topic of the week is afternoon headwinds. Third day straight for me in sydney. Not much fun

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Isn't it nice when that cooling breeze orients itself to blow in your face for maximum effect.

Had that both ways today.

Cheers,

Cameron

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:31 am

Went and played in the dirt on the way in this morning. LEft early so needed a light. Decided that I wouldn't need the helmet light but was wrong about that, MTB with only bar lights isn't ideal. 2 very close calls with eight legged freaks hovering in the middle of the track.
Just as it was getting light I decided to switch my light back to low beam to reduce the shadows cast and the battery gave out as I flick past hi beam. Slowed down a little until the sun rose some more.
Additionally when continuing to work I pulled up at a red light, centre of the narrow lane. (I know, I'm apparently meant to blast through if on a bike). Saw a shadow approach from behind. Looked around to see what it was, thinking bicycle, and just as I looked right a motorbike rider pulled up about half metre from my face. Let out a little surprised noise and the rider said 'hello', think she got a little kick out of surprising me. :shock:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:32 am

Missed out yesty thanks to rim folding back on itself. New wheels are here and tools have arrived....maybe an extendomute tonite. Unless it's raining....white hubs :( That's an honorable excuse yeah?

Maybe bad run of crappy luck/timing is over and I can move up a space in the CC.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Well, did my second commute today. Two for the week! :) Kicked me over 100km for the week so now my legs just want me stay still and die or something like that.

The afternoon ride is definitely more of a killer than the morning - more uphill and the afternoon sun is still quite punishing with heat.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 pm

ChrisR24 wrote:Well, did my second commute today. Two for the week! :) Kicked me over 100km for the week so now my legs just want me stay still and die or something like that.

The afternoon ride is definitely more of a killer than the morning - more uphill and the afternoon sun is still quite punishing with heat.
Get a piece of fruit into you about an hour before you ride. Make sure you have something giving you a bit of go in the water in your water bottle

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Beautiful weather here at the moment. The last bit of summer.
Had a bit of CCR action the other arvo.
Rounded up old mate on some rollers had a quick word and kept going.
There are plenty of trees casting shadows on my arvo commute on beautiful quiet roads.
A bit of sweat on the glasses and it's hard to see what is on the road.
On a downhill section (maybe 45kmh luckily) I ran over what I thought was a piece of bark but realised was a 4' brown snake as I rolled over the middle of it.
Rolled on a few hundred meters and remembered the other bloke so I turned around as he was coming down the hill waving my arms and yelling snake!
We didn't find it so it must have slithered off with a sore back.
That was a first anyway. :o
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 am

Long way in the wet this morning. I fitted Maxxis Hookworms last night so I was also very muddy.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Warm, and staying that way all week. Hasn't been so hot in Melbourne this summer, despite what's been going on elsewhere.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:16 pm

A fast one today, having already done a pre-work 45km club run, on the commute averaged 33kph fully loaded and blagged a few top 10 strava trophies to boot, 3rd out of 13,000. :) (Also got a KOM on the club run. :mrgreen: )

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:49 pm

some quick times there Adam. nice work

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Long way in the wet this morning. I fitted Maxxis Hookworms last night so I was also very muddy.
& I am betting inside your mud splattered beard was a big grin
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Managed another commute ride today. Left early to beat the storm, which really was a disappointment - not much rain from it at all. :( I think there was less headwinds than from the other day as I was faster overall but I didn't think I put as much effort in today - bit cruise-y. :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Riding down a little hill on the path into the city, I have to veer left to go over the bridge that crosses the Ring Rd. Maybe 35-40k's? That's when I discovered that my front tyre had picked up some glass and started leaking. I was pleasantly surprised by my bike handling skills. Or luck. :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Very warm this morning (about 25 degrees), but was treated to a beautiful sunrise over the Adelaide Hills.

Gonna be toasty on the way home though with it being 37 degrees at the moment :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Just over a km from home i pulled up at a set of traffic lights. A bloke there on a mtb. I asked how his ride was. He said it was his first time riding a bike in 18 years. I asked if he would do it again. He said he will be doing it for a while after losing his licence. Hr was using it as an opportunity to lose some weight (he mentioned 25kgs)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 am

Extendo commute again today. Man the bugs were bad. I passed through several cuttings on the Fernleigh track and along them were multiple clouds of protein. Enough time to spit a couple out and there was another cloud. Got to work about 20km later and my legs, arms, helmet etc were still covered in the little blighters. As the sun had only just risen I wasn't wearing glasses and got a couple in the eyes. Pulled over to put sunglasses on and that didn't help, they were so fogged up I couldn't see.

Otherwise it was good to stretch the legs.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 am

Got out of the office yesterday to patches of black clouds... was going to ride home via the local ranges for some climbing fun (not that I have made the ranges this year yet) but thought best not, dont want to get caught in the rain so decided to go normal way and if dry bypass to a short climb.... roads were patchy between wet and dry but came to a roundabout that was wet so kept the pace down, stuck the knee out as I turned into the roundabout and then decided to part company with the bike and sit on the road.... guessing I hit an oil patch but took a small chunk from my knee and lightened the brifters a bit more.... passed on the climb and went home .... this morning I punctured, another issue that arises when it rains here
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Sweating on a new chain and cassette to arrive. Old ones are getting really slippy. And noisy.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:34 pm

I decided to shake things up a bit by riding my former commuting bike in, now that it has been turned into a fixie. Seeing as my commute is not flat I chose to run a 39x16 (65") gear and just suffer the downhills. The way in was ok, but as luck (or poor management) would have it I had to leave late on the night I had to get to a meeting. Fortunately I was able to suck wheels for the flat bits, and the hills were actually better than I thought and I made good time in the end, but it was still pretty devastating.

However I am paying for it today. Really heavy legs. I might have to do the fixie thing more often once the legs recover. Ah well I have a rest day tomorrow.

Cheers,

Cameron