How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

kb

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 pm

fat and old wrote:2 this morning. No way I'm wearing short gloves :lol: It's getting so I look forward to the section of path home along the Ring Road. It bumps up at least 5 degrees.

And a tip for those looking at Shimano S-Phyre shoes......they're well ventilated. Really well. Really, really well.
Short leg and sleeves, light wind permeable base layer with long sleeves. I'll admit to toe covers though :-).

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri May 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Still have a jersey (long sleeve) and gilet only. Shorts all year round. It's the fingers and feet that are weak points here.

Base layers don't really work for us Sturdy build types. Especially under a green l/s top. I already look like kermit. :lol:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Cold this morning, still not cold enough for the full jacket, but full finger gloves.

Lack of wind made for a nice average speed.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 pm

For those trying to catch me I did 100kms today. I wore arm warmers today

whoopsie. too many zeroes
Last edited by jasonc on Sat May 13, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri May 12, 2017 10:09 pm

jasonc wrote:For those trying to catch me I did 1000kms today. I wore arm warmers today
Uh huh :lol:

kb

Postby kb » Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 pm

The extra new daddy kgs have been a help staying warm

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon May 15, 2017 1:41 pm

First wet one in a few weeks. I had started to forget what rain was. Even though we had 540mm of rain up unitl March and only 45mm since then.

I even took my mudguard off.......

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Commute tonight was great, just felt good - fun. I just rode nearly flat out. 8) Had a section without any traffic lights and no junctions, just thrashed it. :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Work place is moving. Rode over there so I could try the new commute. It's less safe, but shorter

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:53 am

My commuting km have been down... having moved house and having a few issues I have had to go directly home rather than the scenic route... although yesterday I had to get my motorbike inspected so I can register it in NZ and had my partner drop off the bicycle so I could ride to work... entered work address into GPS and off I went... 10km later I worked out I was going in the wrong direction so managed a few extra km... and Wednesday's are now jog to work day but I looked out the window to sideways rain thanks to Cyclone Donna so jumped on the bike.... funny thing with Auckland is how the wind direction can constantly change ... this morning I was coasting at 50km/hr and then struggling to get to 25km/hr with no change in road height or direction and you can see leaves been blown up and down the same stretch of road
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 am

Been a morning of wardrobe malfunctions, busted the zip on my favourite trans-seasonal top while attempting to dress myself. Ride went well - felt like I was about to hit the wall in Glendalough but broke through over the narrows.

Remembered to take my towel to the shower but left my pants in the office. Option 1: Fight my way back into sweaty bike shorts for the trip back to the office, blerg; Option 2: Scuttle across the campus in a camping towel that doesn't go quiiiite all the way around my waist. Came down reluctantly in favour of option 1.

My local shower is one of the type that has been installed to comply with access legislation but not for actual use, ergo there are no gear hooks. Brought some in and stuck them up this morning, will be interesting to see how long they stay there.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Am strongly supportive of guerilla improvements to the amenities Lizzy.

Is it wrong to be smug this morning as I rode past so many parked cars as Sydney bus strike causes city chaos ?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu May 18, 2017 4:47 pm

find_bruce wrote:Is it wrong to be smug this morning as I rode past so many parked cars...
No - the smugness of commuting by bike is one of the great attractions, I find. Personally, I emit enormous clouds of smug wherever I go.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Damn it! Can't find the South Park smug cloud clip

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Forgot to charge my lights for the ride home, for shame :(

Tail light started meeping at me just after Ossy park - then yelled for a bit at Gwelup before finally quitting. Backup tail-light made it home fine. Meanwhile the headlight really became totally ineffective by Karrinyup Rd, just in time for the darkest sections of my ride and I got home basically in stealth mode. Not good. Very not happy with the battery life of the old headlight. It's onto its second battery too, I think it's going to go into semi retirement as a backup.

Off to see what the gold standard is among you lot these days $$ ....
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 19, 2017 8:37 am

Was raining when I got up. Lost motivation. So for the second time this year, I didn't ride to work. :(

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 am

jasonc wrote:Was raining when I got up. Lost motivation. So for the second time this year, I didn't ride to work. :(
We have had some bad weather this week... easy enough to ride the 10km direct route if required

Yesterday my wet weather gear turned up... looking forward to testing it this morning and the rain has gone... should have bought wet weather gear earlier
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am

jasonc wrote:Was raining when I got up. Lost motivation. So for the second time this year, I didn't ride to work. :(
Luckily, I have magic pannier rain covers. Whenever the weather is a bit dodgy, and I put the covers on my panniers, the rain stops! So I had a fairly pleasant ride in a bit of misty drizzle.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 am

Sick as last few days. Still rode home yesty for some reason. L/S merino top, gilet, l/f gloves... in the sunshine...sweated like a pig and couldn't go over 15k's or I'd cough up my lung. Can't speak or I cough my other lung out today. Damn this 25yr smoking legacy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm

pea soup fog this morning in the way to the new workplace. went the direct method which is 3kms shorter than the old workplace.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 am

Coldest day of the year so far at a reported 3c (ride is always less than where they report it from)... and the joys of being in a new house, couldnt find long fingered gloves or my liners so off i went with fingerless gloves... fingers froze quickly and it was climbing day so wasnt long before i was unzipping jacket... then zipping up jacket and fingers froze again ... repeated steps for all 3 bumps.

At least it will still be over 10c on the way home...going by the forecast

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 am

Finally dry enough to do 10kms of singletrack this morning.

And a bonus of not too many orb spiders out yet :shock:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 am

honourable reasons thread for me with a sick child at home

MacMan

Postby MacMan » Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm staying in inner NW Melbourne and commuting outbound along St Georges Rd in the morning. Great track down the middle and little traffic heading that way compared to the inbound lane.

Of course, the flip side means I am coming back against the outbound commuters in the evening. Seriously, what is the go with the folks who seem to think I am the enemy? If their upward-angled, blindingly bright, seizure-inducing lights are anything to go by, they want to burn my soul out the back of my head. I can understand them wanting to be seen, but it's nigh on impossible for me to see where I'm going other than straight to the scene of the accident.

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed May 24, 2017 10:26 am

a rather typical autumn commute. a little cool, a little damp.

all quiet until i came across 2 coppers (on MTBs mind you) inspecting a late-model Renault parked on the side of the road with no occupants, but lights turned on and engine running, 2 kms from St Leonards station. there was a time when you just feel bemused and confused by the sight. but given the tragic events in Manchester, one can't help but feel suspicious and guarded .. :cry: