How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

cancan64

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby cancan64 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 am

Has been magic weather here this week.. what storms we have had have blown through overnight or during the day but mornings have been superb... only big incident was this morning coming down a high speed one way downhill to find a car going up the wrong way ... did save them having to drive around the block but now need to change brake pads
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:54 am

they have installed a permanent bike counter on the bicentennial bikeway in Brisbane (near the go-between bridge). it was finally turned on yesterday. looking forward to seeing the numbers go up

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Drafted a truck and got slower times than my pb. Go figure.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Drafted a truck and got slower times than my pb. Go figure.
where are you these days Lukey? haven't seen you belting around the northern burbs for yonks!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:43 am

CKinnard wrote:
where are you these days Lukey? haven't seen you belting around the northern burbs for yonks!
Still coming off a bad lower respiratory infection so very little riding for the past month and a bit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 am

Couldn't shake a brompton this morning :shock:

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:05 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
CKinnard wrote:
Still coming off a bad lower respiratory infection so very little riding for the past month and a bit.
hmmm...youthful bulletproofness fading!!!
time to start eating a healthy diet and going to bed well before midnight!!!

kb

Postby kb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm

jasonc wrote:Couldn't shake a brompton this morning :shock:
https://www.brompton.com/News/Posts/2017/Electric-bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 pm

kb wrote:
jasonc wrote:Couldn't shake a brompton this morning :shock:
https://www.brompton.com/News/Posts/2017/Electric-bike
Pretty sure it wasn't an ebike

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:
CKinnard wrote:
hmmm...youthful bulletproofness fading!!!
time to start eating a healthy diet and going to bed well before midnight!!!
Or working around a lot of sick people that just waste time before their appointments :P

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:48 am

Commute home yesterday was supposed to be via some hills and with the traffic so bad here I use cycle paths to get to the base. Heading down the bicycle path a commuter on a MTB coming the other way decided to turn in front of me resulting in my my forearm clipping his/her handle bars.. arm just blew up and the thought of doing a tough 7km climb with who knows what damage done suddenly was not appealing, so I turned around and went home.. couldnt move arm when I got home, let alone brake or change gears... iced it as soon as I got home and some magic cream at bed time and swelling dropped a lot overnight so was able to gingerly commute to work... have a dull ache and a bit sore when jarred or when braking and changing gears otherwise lucky... he/she was being passed by another cyclist which would have made it hard for him/her to change line and I was doing over 40 on a blind corner/ridge all so there wasnt a lot of time to reacte either ... will be going a lot slower next Wednesday
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Had a day at the cricket yesterday. woke up this morning, still felt tired so I went back to sleep. Got up and felt guilty for not doing the group ride so decided to ITT it in. Average hr over 150. Average speed over 30. Happy with that

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:56 am

got drenched this morning

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 am

perfect conditions in Auckland... has been good for a few weeks... touch wood

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am

Forecast said it was going to be wet the entire week but haven't got wet yet. Had a leisurely cruise until I found someone to chase and then it turned into quite a spirited trip in and being 20mins early for work. One more day and I'll cap my biggest month's riding in a few years. 6 weeks down and very much enjoying the challenge of a longer commute.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:07 am

jasonc wrote:got drenched this morning
Same. I am sitting at my desk at work surrounded by bits of clothing and gear that I am trying to dry out.

That includes my front light. I have a Moon Meteor 100 light. When it gets wet, it turns itself on in flashing mode. I cannot control it or switch it off until it dries out. Odd...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Almost made it to work, but still got drenched.

Riding through the school zone near home had a parent try to door me (no I am not that silly, clearance good, spidey senses set to max both for dooring & general parental driving stupidity) I was pleasantly surprised a block after the school when a BMW SUV alongside me stopped rather than left hooking me,. As it happens I was turning left as well & waved them through, but its always nice to see someone driving with obvious care

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Yup, commuted in Brisbane too, dry-ish out West (Jindalee) was completely soaked about 10 mins heading East into the city.

Supposed to be racing tonight after work in a twilight crit series at Nundah, don't think that will be going ahead!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:36 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:Yup, commuted in Brisbane too, dry-ish out West (Jindalee) was completely soaked about 10 mins heading East into the city.

Supposed to be racing tonight after work in a twilight crit series at Nundah, don't think that will be going ahead!
Just read it's been cancelled

tabb

Postby tabb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Toombul carpark is/was under water...
https://www.facebook.com/HigginsStormCh ... 232597691/

Glad I chickened out and left the bike in the garage. Not so concerned about the moisture but the inevitable flats from all the crud washed over those paths along Kedron Brook makes me soft.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 pm

34 to 35°C for the entire 27.5km ride home. I'm just glad I took one of the shorter routes.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:11 am

Hot, in fact it is still hot at midnight. This spring weather is getting out of hand.

I should also say drenched too as the sweat factor is substantial in these conditions. Had to ride between campuses in the middle of the afternoon too, not the best time to be riding in this weather.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am

It's still dirt month for me, so onto the MTB and extend-o-mute. 20km, 11.4km on the dirt :D Got a couple of PRs on segments, so must have been enjoying it too!
The in the final up and over got a bit of a chat in the quarry section as it is apparently now a construction site and I shouldn't ride through there any more. LAst week nothing, this morning multiple trucks, diggers, people and a site shed. Oh well, will need to explore a bit further and take a different trail next time, I wasn't going to backtrack up the hill. I have an alternative planned for this arvo, but it hinges on a gap being in a fence.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am

cancan64 wrote:perfect conditions in Auckland... has been good for a few weeks... touch wood
famous last words... Got smashed going home... heaviest rain that I have been in since moving here... gutters and roads flooded and then 5km from home dry roads, our house faces the opposite direction and was clear sky's as far as you could see... was still lucky as I was doing hills and had just finished the last windy downhill section when it started

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:34 to 35°C for the entire 27.5km ride home. I'm just glad I took one of the shorter routes.
Same again this afternoon, except it went up to 35.8 just on the last (and toughest) hill climb (I live in Ringwood North, which is NOT flat). Then I looked at a thermometer a little while ago, and thought "how did it suddenly get that low?", and realised the temperature had dropped 6° in 30 minutes: hellooo, cool change! Now I just have to get the snorkel ready for tomorrow's commutes.