How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gretaboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 am

Got absolutely hammered on the friday commute home by the wind. It was such a struggle that I didnt do any extra k's. It was pure door to door commute. It was so bad I had to hit the wine that night...well any excuse to hit the wine :)

This mornings commute was cold, not so cold that there was any frost, but my feet were somewhat frozen by the time I got to the office. Stunning morning though, so crystal clear and I was thinking as I was riding how much nicer the morning was given it wasnt raining.

I am over winter though...bring on summer.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 am

jasonc wrote:hope the brew takes a couple of weeks to work
All went to plan, although I opted for a two-pronged approach - my favourite Italian bistro informed be that they had some fresh Habanero chili, so I asked them to load a pizza with the stuff for me. The bug stood no chance.
Back in the saddle this morning, a little tired still, but all good. Patches of drizzle and wet roads in places, just enough to take the shine off the freshly cleaned bike....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am

Today's commute:
Elapsed Time = 23 minutes
Moving Time = 13 minutes
10 minutes today is spent waiting for the green light.
Have a good week ahead to all!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 am

My feet weren't frozen, but I was struggling to feel my fingers... bit of a horror story, wife found a 318 dollar receipt for my birthday present last year - helmet and winter gloves. The helmet was destroyed 6 weeks later and I lost one of the winter gloves 2 weeks ago... *hangs in shame*.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 am

TailWind wrote:All went to plan, although I opted for a two-pronged approach - my favourite Italian bistro informed be that they had some fresh Habanero chili, so I asked them to load a pizza with the stuff for me. The bug stood no chance.
that sounds awesome

was cold this morning - leg warmers, overshoes and full finger gloves.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 am

Xplora wrote:My feet weren't frozen, but I was struggling to feel my fingers... bit of a horror story, wife found a 318 dollar receipt for my birthday present last year - helmet and winter gloves. The helmet was destroyed 6 weeks later and I lost one of the winter gloves 2 weeks ago... *hangs in shame*.
X...dont feel too bad...Last year I got a brand new helmet for my birthday, not a cheapie either...my helmet was also destroyed in quick time due to going head to head, literally, with a truck tyre

But losing a glove...in the corner you go

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 am

Felt the chill this morning. Should have put the booties on for warmth and to protect the shoes from the grime coming off the roads due to the rains. Got drizzled on and the bike is dirty, but that is the way of things in winter.

Not much motivation to head to work at the moment (I've been told my position is going to be made redundant in a few weeks - job hunting, oh joy of joys :roll: ), although I do love riding the bike so I guess doing the commute itself is the motivation.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am

Summernight wrote:Not much motivation to head to work at the moment (I've been told my position is going to be made redundant in a few weeks
well that sucks

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:54 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:Not much motivation to head to work at the moment (I've been told my position is going to be made redundant in a few weeks
well that sucks
unfortunately it is happening to too many people these days...I am in IT and my company has over the last couple of months shed hundreds of positions, all going offshore

you didnt know on any day whether it would be your last or not...that is until you got asked to go into an office for a meeting....things have quietened down now but it is always on the cards

Summer...hope it works out best for you and you go on to bigger and better

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:56 am

Summernight wrote:Not much motivation to head to work at the moment (I've been told my position is going to be made redundant in a few weeks - job hunting, oh joy of joys :roll: ), although I do love riding the bike so I guess doing the commute itself is the motivation.
Just remember the old saying, if you loose something, you will get something-better in return.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 am

rheicel wrote:
Summernight wrote:Not much motivation to head to work at the moment (I've been told my position is going to be made redundant in a few weeks - job hunting, oh joy of joys :roll: ), although I do love riding the bike so I guess doing the commute itself is the motivation.
Just remember the old saying, if you loose something, you will get something-better in return.

hey that doesnt always work...I lost my virginity last week, havent gotten anything better in return yet??

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am

Sorry to hear and good luck with the search!
How about a gig as bike courier in the CBD, since you already mix it up there with traffic and peds, and you love riding your bike! 8)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 am

gretaboy wrote:
rheicel wrote:

hey that doesnt always work...I lost my virginity last week, havent gotten anything better in return yet??
You are lying to say that you did not get better in return.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:59 am

TailWind wrote:
Sorry to hear and good luck with the search!
How about a gig as bike courier in the CBD, since you already mix it up there with traffic and peds, and you love riding your bike! 8)
:lol:

Might look into that if there is a position available for the slowest courier in the seven kingdoms and my current career aspirations don't pan out as I was hoping. Sometimes I walk past the couriers as they take their lunch break on the corner of William and Bourke Sts and it looks like a cool club. Except my bike would be completely out of place as it isn't covered in stickers or duct tape nor are there cards in the spokes.

Otherwise I've told the partner I'll become a 'housewife' and go on cycling jaunts to the local cafes and spend my days gossiping and shopping with his money. :twisted: (Just kidding)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 pm

rheicel wrote: That is good news queequeg. I might use my 46/38 on one my my road bike that is in the making as I am typing this.
Uploaded last weeks rides to Strava, and yep, set a PB on the mowbray climb (with fully loaded panniers!). 26.5km/h avg. Jumped about 100 places in the rankings in the process. I have gone up the hill faster on the road bike, but I don't upload most rides to Strava or Garmin Connect. Not sure how accurate Strava is either. Apparently last week I managed 79.9km/h max speed (with panniers!).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 am

TailWind wrote: Back in the saddle this morning, a little tired still, but all good. Patches of drizzle and wet roads in places, just enough to take the shine off the freshly cleaned bike....
Yep, same here, set off this morning with a nice clean bike, arrived home with a dirty bike. I normally clean the chain once a month, might be doing it again next weekend at this rate. Haven't seen weeks of rain like this in Melbourne for years.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 am

Had my bike seen to at work by Steve from Nomad Cyclery; replaced frayed shifter cables and bottom bracket bearings - he cycles through to your location on this:
Bike felt great on the way back yesterday afternoon. I expected a deluge, but only had some drizzle and very wet roads and paths.
Also encountered some unusual and colourful path users along the way:

Slow moving traffic on the Darebin Creek Trail

Quite a load

Mutt and owner sporting a "partner look"

Damp and chilly, wet roads again this morning, but no rain on the way into the Melbourne CBD.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am

gretaboy wrote: But losing a glove...in the corner you go
Glove was left on top of the car to dry. :roll: I have been warned before...

The cold seems to be managable once I've got 5 minutes in the saddle... solstice only just around the corner?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:04 am

Ride this morning was chilly again, all layers were kept on for the entire ride.

Am doing a strava challenge at the moment...it is a stupid challenge I have realised - says a lot about me too :). It is the fizik tour tune up challenge. The only real challenge about this challenge is how slow can you go. The people at the top of the ladder are ones who are doing < 22 k/h. I have just come to the realisation that there is no challenge about this at all...and yes I am slow.

So I tried this on my commute home yesterday. What would normally take 1:40-1:50 I was able to extend out to 2:24. I got in trouble when I got home, even though I had sent a text stating I would be a bit late as I was taking it easy. Walked through the door and got hit with : "I didnt think you were going to be this late" Daughter saying, "I reckon he has got something on the side mum". She likes to joke that I dont really ride, that I am seeing someone instead. Luckil my trusty garmin can back me up somewhat lol

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:37 am

TailWind wrote:Mutt and owner sporting a "partner look"
Awww, that's just adorable. :)

A little bit of my ride home last night along Albert St, East Melbourne - rainy with an unhealthy sprinkling of moronishness:

Now, I was thinking as I saw the driver of the car coming out of the driveway 'Do I feel like being a hood ornament tonight?' (see at 17 seconds). The bad thing is I was actually tempted to do a slow speed hood roll (ala that guy in New York who deliberately rides into things blocking the bike lane), but my internal risk management consultant luckily piped up and said 'Don't be an idiot - you don't know how to stunt roll and you've still got an aching tailbone.' So I took the escape route option. The car completely blocked the bicycle lane as I went past. Hope they look next time. :|

This is the usual when cars are banked up there - people just don't look. And this is also the reason why I am against concrete dividers dividing the bicycle lane from the road (aka Swanston and La Trobe Streets) - you'd have nowhere to go unless you're some bunny-hopping champion or are on the brakes at the first sign of the car coming out of the driveway (which I was).
I'm quite liking the salmon Kool-Stop brake pads I installed.

This morning was uneventful, apart from the arch nemesis beating me resoundingly today up the Albert St hill as she chose to go on the left of the vehicle queue at a traffic light and I decided to stay where I was behind the traffic in front of me. The lights then played in her favour after that. Ah well. Still don't have the motivation to push it to work and probably won't anymore. Although the motivation is there to get home at nights.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 am

hit 7000kms for the year (~5500kms commuting)
i ended up doing 4 coot-thas yesterday. took a workmate up there for the first time
knee was a bit niggly so was stretching/icing last night
riverloop this morning. cold
first morning trying out my gilet. am happy with it. i wish the gloves i bought were JUST a bit warmer. but then the concern is that they are too warm and you have to take them off...

ray

Postby ray » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Cold in Brisbane this morning. Left at 6:30am and it felt below 7 degrees with the wind. Double socks, knee warmers, wool knicks (winter weight), l/s compression top, l/s jersey fleece lined (so didn't need gilet), ear warmers, and double gloves - one assos underglove and thermo gloves. Fingers still frozen from the wind. Not happy - will try the rain gloves instead to see if they are warmer :( Kudos to riders only wearing shorts and short sleeve jerseys! Was the bunny and provided quite a few CCR points. Would have screamed if the hot water at end of trip facilities wasn't working.

On a positive last night tried out my new SuperNova airstream light - worked a treat even provided enough light for a guy around everton park/mitchelton/oxford park bike path when his battery run out. Used a more expensive lupine pico max (700 lumens) prior and the beam pattern was not as good as the supernova for road coverage and unlit paths.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 am

Rode back yesterday afternoon via MYT/Banyule etc. Had a duck charge me along the banks of the Yarra, presumably because a female was around. Starting a bit early this year. Encountered the usual troop of roos at Bundoora. Nearly rear-ended a car in a right only lane on Plenty Rd when the driver suddenly abandoned the right turn he had started and braked hard - I locked up on the wet road surface, let go of the brakes and kinked around to his left. Whew.

Chilly this morning at 3C, but dry. By the time I made it into the Melbourne CBD my toes were aching from the cold, despite the winter socks. Wasn't wearing the boots in anticipation of a dry and mostly sunny day.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 am

TailWind wrote:Chilly this morning at 3C, but dry. By the time I made it into the Melbourne CBD my toes were aching from the cold, despite the winter socks. Wasn't wearing the boots in anticipation of a dry and mostly sunny day.
I wear my overshoes for cold weather. they are hopeless in the rain. cold again. not as cold as yesterday, but close.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:02 am

Spotted a fox on the run through Royal Park this morning. I was glad I was wearing my new woolen neck gaiter (on sale at Macpac). Oh..and I wore my overshoes as well.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0