How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Hamster

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Hamster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 am

I repaired the puncture last night so I was able to ride my preferred commuter this morning. The ride this morning was straight forward but really humid. The forecast is for storms later today so perhaps it'll be a wet ride home tonight.

I'm now rapidy closing on my target kilometers for 2012. If I can do another 223 between now and the end of the month I'll have my 7,500 for the year, so it's looking good.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Great afternoon in Melbourne yesterday for the ride back, temp just right, little wind.
Cool this morning, but clear and dry, no letup in traffic yet.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:17 pm

Rear mudguard went on the road bike this morning before commute - didn't even look at the weather forecast as it just feels like we'll get a storm in Brisbane this afternoon. If it does rain today it'll be a good test for the inbuilt raincover for the blackwolf backpack i use on my commute. Must remember to put smartphone & wallet in plastic bag before leaving work though... Damn hot ride into town with the apparent temp getting 30+ deg!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Nearly fell of my bike this morning, usual run through narrow back streets where cars are desperate to get in front so they can stop again in 50m :roll: ANyhows a 4wd was coming the other way - rather than drive up & run me down, she stopped to let me past the parked cars :shock:

Despite my surprise I did remember to give her a thank you wave.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Perth:

Slept in and so intended to take the train half the distance. But changed my mind as I approached the station and kept going.

It turned out to be another great ride in, a little bit of light misty rain but nothing worth covering up for. And still very little wind :) . The South Perth detour is no more and I have gone past my target for the year and conditions are rather cushy for this time of the year. Got to put a face to stealthbike too. All my ducks are lined up.

I may be tempted to the full distance home if I can get away early enough.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Hamster wrote:I repaired the puncture last night so I was able to ride my preferred commuter this morning. The ride this morning was straight forward but really humid. The forecast is for storms later today so perhaps it'll be a wet ride home tonight.

I'm now rapidy closing on my target kilometers for 2012. If I can do another 223 between now and the end of the month I'll have my 7,500 for the year, so it's looking good.
Awesome hamster!

I had a good ride home too. I was concerned about the storm earlier... but it's avoiding BNE city like the plague at the moment :)

I've noted the amount of glass in the area is starting to increase again. :evil: :evil: I fear the puncture fairy will pay a me a visit soon. :cry:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 pm

survived the last commute day for the year. left work early and had a warm ride on the way home. had a swim in the pool with my daughter then went to physio and got the all clear.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 pm

jasonc wrote:survived the last commute day for the year. left work early and had a warm ride on the way home. had a swim in the pool with my daughter then went to physio and got the all clear.
Congratulations on the all clear, Jason.
Lisa

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Good news there, jasonc.

Beautiful millpond morning today, and knocked off a bit of giftmas shopping on the way home. My mission was to get half the immediate clan plus sister in common law out of the way with only the aid of my trunk pannier. Nailed it - can you guess what the theme is this year? Yes, that's right - small and perfectly formed :mrgreen:

More seriously though I'm coming out the end (gads, I hope) of a stressful episode at work. I'm waking up in the night over stupid things, I'm full of nervous energy and having to force myself to eat. Things will settle soon enough and I'm not in the kind of job where people get hurt or die, but I really feel like the bike & it's associated endorphins could actually save me this week :|
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:19 am

Well yesterday was a first for me.....first time I have had something thrown at me. The non amazing thing is that it came from a red P plater car.

I was chugging up a hill and I see this crushed up Red Bull can floating through the air and this crappy looking holden commodore station wagon veering away from me. My initial assumption was that had thrown the can. Surprisingly there was no yelling out or beeping of the horn at the same time. Got home and immediately checked the video footage. The video footage shows the car moving from the right hand lane to a position where it straddles the white dotted line and as it gets near you can see the red bull can come flying out from the car. It was thrown by the person sitting in the back seat and behind the driver.

The upside, it wasnt a full can.

Apart from that the ride home was brilliant, sun was shining the wind was with me.

Christmas commitments has me taking the car so no riding....nice morning for it tho.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:14 am

Pleasant afternoon in Melbourne again for the ride back. Had a couple of "must-get-past-cyclist-at-all-cost" syndrome drivers, racing to overtake me, then having to break hard across me to make their left turn. Dingbats. On the more pleasant side, I stopped off at the local PO to pick up a parcel from Wiggle...Contour Roam 2. Now to find the best way to mount it .. running out of real estate on the bars.
Left 15 minutes earlier than usual because of stuff happening at work, and, if anything, the traffic into the Melbourne CBD was even worse than usual. Must be the tradie golden hour between 4-5am. Lots of cars coming out of side roads, triggering the lights at most intersections, frustrating.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am

gretaboy wrote:Well yesterday was a first for me.....first time I have had something thrown at me. The non amazing thing is that it came from a red P plater car.

I was chugging up a hill and I see this crushed up Red Bull can floating through the air and this crappy looking holden commodore station wagon veering away from me. My initial assumption was that had thrown the can. Surprisingly there was no yelling out or beeping of the horn at the same time. Got home and immediately checked the video footage. The video footage shows the car moving from the right hand lane to a position where it straddles the white dotted line and as it gets near you can see the red bull can come flying out from the car. It was thrown by the person sitting in the back seat and behind the driver.

If I had video like that... I'd burn a dvd and report it. Should be good for at least a talking to.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:01 am

Comedian wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Well yesterday was a first for me.....first time I have had something thrown at me. The non amazing thing is that it came from a red P plater car.

If I had video like that... I'd burn a dvd and report it. Should be good for at least a talking to.
I will be making a complaint on this one for sure...as far as I am concerned it is assault. I know Const Plod will say otherwise as he will not want to increase his workload. The P plater should at least get a ticket for failing to indicate as he crossed the dotted white lines. Will be interesting to see how slack Const Plod will be.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 am

gretaboy wrote:I will be making a complaint on this one for sure...as far as I am concerned it is assault. I know Const Plod will say otherwise as he will not want to increase his workload. The P plater should at least get a ticket for failing to indicate as he crossed the dotted white lines. Will be interesting to see how slack Const Plod will be.
report them for littering here

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 am

I had a good ride home last night, lots of really black clouds and lightening. At one point it started to rain but just when it got beyond sprinkling it stopped. The result was that Hamster arrived home only slightly damp.

This morning again it was an uneventful ride. Only 188 more kms before I hit my target of 7,500 for the year :D .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 am

So humid this morning, had to take the glasses of for the sweat dripping and obscuring my vision. Nice ride though.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 am

Perth:

It can't get any better. Another still morning. Sun in a clear sky from the moment of sunrise. This arvo will probably be upper 20's and only the most gently Doctor is the rest of this week is anything to go by. It is almost a crime not to ride.

Only about half the number of cyclists I would normally see on a Wednesday so i assume the rest of the world is on leave already.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 pm

I had a good one this morning. I really stoked up my commute which is something I rarely do these days. So, I got a Kom on my 10k commute segment from home on my hybrid panniers and all. :mrgreen:

My wife wants to bring the family into town on Friday and suggested I could bus it. She was a little miffed at my "no way" as I don't want to loose my unbroken record this year. :)

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Yesterday's commute were, quite simply, horrible.
Sluggish ride in to work and an even more sluggish ride home.

I don't think I should have ridden the day after giving blood...
2010 BMC SLC01

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Comedian wrote:

+1 Definitely report it - good luck!!!

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Comedian wrote:

+1 Definitely report it - good luck!!!

On the spot $300 fine for littering to start with...
2010 BMC SLC01

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 am

shortened ride today due to car needing a service...upshot was that I moved into 2nd on a strava segment due to the shortened ride and being "fresher".

Was very warm this morning but a good ride all up. No issues with any motorists so that is a bonus as well.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:41 am

Last day of work today. Was quite warm riding in.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 am

Multi-hop commute into a gusty northerly headwind yesterday afternoon.
Unfortunately, it turned overnight and I had the pleasure of battling a SW into the Melbourne CBD this morning. Had rabbit zig-zag across my front wheel on one of the paths and had to brake sharply to miss it.

Edit: spelling...brake vs break, sheesh.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Just reported my can throwing P plater to the police...the kind Constable has put a "job on" and hopefully tonite I will have a car crew attend my home to get details

1 am going to go for 4 things

1. assault
2. dangerous driving
3. fail to indicate
4. littering

I reckon they wont do the assualt...be usual response, not enough evidence, my word against theirs - despite footage showing can thrown. Will be interesting