How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 am

Rain for the morning jog (where did everyone go? - there was practically no-one on the Yarra Boulevard) but clear for the commute with just road splatter on the legs from the previous rain. The traffic was banked up as I sailed past in the clear bike lane. Love it!

Everything behaved itself (GoPro worked, Garmin worked, the legs worked) although the bike felt heavy, but that might be because of the weekend break from riding. :P

Love my mudguards! No road splatter GT stripe for me as compared to a fair few other commuters who were sporting road splatter GT stripes.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am

Rain and road muck but lots of fun on my singlespeed mountain bike that I built on the weekend ( maiden voyage for her).

Walst

Postby Walst » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:12 pm

First bike commute in many a year. You have to be quite organised but I think once I get into the swing of things it should be great. 30 km round-trip with most of that made up of shared footpaths along the Kwinana Freeway and Mounts Bay Rd in Perth. Lucky to have such scenic views along the way

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

First commute in 3 weeks due to recovery from surgery. Amazing how much cardio gets lost in that time. Felt strong in the legs though and no post-op pain... so all good to keep going.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Careful ride in this morning. The road was covered in rainbow oil slicks. Civil drivers though :-)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Missed the rain this morning and got a record run of lights across the capital city trail/Park st all the way until the Royal Childrens.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 pm

I was dazed and confused this morning - where had all the angry drivers gone. Seems the start of school holiday shifts them from Sydney to elsewhere, although I do feel sorry for elsewhere
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

find_bruce wrote:I was dazed and confused this morning - where had all the angry drivers gone. Seems the start of school holiday shifts them from Sydney to elsewhere, although I do feel sorry for elsewhere
:roll: Well I found em even when side by side!

:lol:

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm

I missed out on riding the last couple of weeks - I've had to do all the school pick ups and drop offs because my husband has people away at work and has been working extra hours. So today was my first ride since daylight saving finished. It's amazing how many more people were out and about. The only reason I can think of is that they are all trying to fit in their jog/ walk the dog etc before darkness falls.
I passed a bloke on my way home, and he caught up with me a while later as I was sitting at a very long traffic light. "You're fast for a female" he told me. I rolled my eyes and asked if that was somehow meant to be a compliment. Then made sure I left him for dust when I took off.
Lots and lots of pedestrians on my path, the only near miss was the young teenager on a skateboard wobbling all over the path, I dinged my bell to give him plenty of notice. He moved onto my side of the path and I slowed right down to pass him, then just at the last second he moved over to the other side of the path. Good thing I was going slowly.

I have a job interview tomorrow, so I rode into the potential workplace on Sunday to see how the commute would be (my current commute is 9.5km each way, the new place would be 14.5 each way). It was not bad, still bike paths most of the way. It's in North Adelaide where parking is appalling so there would be a lot of incentive to cycle instead.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
find_bruce wrote:I was dazed and confused this morning - where had all the angry drivers gone. Seems the start of school holiday shifts them from Sydney to elsewhere, although I do feel sorry for elsewhere
:roll: Well I found em even when side by side!

:lol:
Could you hang on to them for a while, if its not too much trouble :D

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Gettin a bit too dark now, or am I working too much?
Time to bust out the hi-viz roadworker attire.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 am

A bit cold and wet - still better than the bus though.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

First day back commuting to work for 4 weeks and it was pitch black, 9C and raining. Yay. :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am

Grey and drizzly in places in Melbourne for the ride back yesterday afternoon.
Chilly this morning - around 7C, but clear and dry. Wore long kit and boots, didn't bring any other gear, so if this afternoon turns out warmer and sunnier than the forecast 19C, I'm going to stew!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

wet and cold...wet and cold...oh did I forget to say my ride this morning was wet and cold. Sunshine galore whilst the mudguard is on, as soon as it breaks the heavens open up. My work cubicle now has wet clothes hanging all around me....lucky for me my work colleague is understanding, she even offered me more newspaper for my shoes

Not looking forward to this afternoon and putting on this wet gear...once on it will be ok but that initial feeling as you put it on is never pleasant

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

gretaboy wrote:Not looking forward to this afternoon and putting on this wet gear...once on it will be ok but that initial feeling as you put it on is never pleasant
I have a washing machine and clothes dryer here because I leave my work clothes here and wash them here. I hate putting on wet clothes, particularly socks.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

is this where I say we had perfect weather for commuting in Brisbane this morning. Clear skies, about 18 degrees

Don't worry - we're expecting thunderstorms for the next 2 days. situation normal returning

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:55 am

Forgot to mention...passed 5000 commuting k's for the year yesterday arvo
DaveOZ wrote:I have a washing machine and clothes dryer here because I leave my work clothes here and wash them here. I hate putting on wet clothes, particularly socks.
I wish we had one...was just thinking this morning wouldnt it be nice :) :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 am

gretaboy wrote:Forgot to mention...passed 5000 commuting k's for the year yesterday arvo
Nice work! And we're only 3 1/2 months into the year - you'll have a pretty big number come December..
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 am

When you are double parked & decide to move off do you (1) indicate, (2) look & (3) give way to other traffic, including the vehicle right next to you or do you floor it in the hope that you can get in front & only stop when the cyclist gives you a free & frank character assessment :roll:

By the looks of the big dint on the rear guard, this was not the first time.

Other than that it was a pleasant ride - the rain held off & it was good to be out and about.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am

Radar threatening, cancelled lengthened bush commute. Heavy drops from about 2k, keep those fingeres crossed. Proper rain from about 4km. Due to prevailing crosswind now have one shoe significantly wet, while the other just has some spray. Wet gear, wet pack (outside only) and I don't think the drying room heater is working. Yesterday my morning gear was feral and damp when I put It on in the arvo, and that wasn't from rain soaked gear either.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 am

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Forgot to mention...passed 5000 commuting k's for the year yesterday arvo
Nice work! And we're only 3 1/2 months into the year - you'll have a pretty big number come December..
Thanks...so far I am exceeding my own expectations...so far I have been injury free but lets see what winter has in store though, especially rain wise

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 am

well morning ride was okies, took it easy kept it at around 30km/h

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 am

TigerFilly wrote:I passed a bloke on my way home, and he caught up with me a while later as I was sitting at a very long traffic light. "You're fast for a female" he told me. I rolled my eyes and asked if that was somehow meant to be a compliment. Then made sure I left him for dust when I took off.
Good for you! I've had someone say I go fast (they didn't tag on the 'for a lady' although the possibility of saying it was there) but my philosophy is I'm exercising at the same time, so what's the point in pootling along? I have a high school reunion on Friday where it'll be faster for me to ride straight there from work than ride home, change and drive so I'm thinking I'll have to cycle in a dressy outfit (the heels will go in the bag until I've arrived at my destination!). On that occasion I will probably pootle so as not to break into too much of a sweat. Hopefully it doesn't rain on Friday afternoon!

Last night's commute was great thanks to leaving work at around 8PM (having been to a show at the comedy festival I went back to work afterwards to collect my stuff and the bike) - there was barely any traffic in the CBD and I was sailing along. Cut time off my regular commute too not having to slow down and filter through cars or keep my speed slow to watch out for car doors and pedestrians.

This morning at a set of lights I was having trouble clipping in quickly (as sometimes happens) and a small hatchback of some sort gave me a fright by passing too close to me, especially as I was wobbling a bit getting the cleat into the pedal. I passed the car further up and it was a younger female driver. I shook my head at her and her male passenger as I rode past but they were staring straight forward.

Apart from that it was an absolutely lovely crisp cold and sunny morning in Melbourne. My favourite kind of day!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:00 pm

Had a bogan in a commodore buzz past me 6 inches off the elbow yesterday on the way to work. :evil:

So I duly gave him the finger at which point I saw the brake lights flash on briefly.

I was on my tt bike so cranked it up to a touch over 40 on the gradual rise. Thought he had seen my angry face in the mirror and thought better of it. However after letting a couple of cars past he slowed so we could have a discussion.
I informed him that he "needs to leave at least a metre clearance when passing a bike".
His come back was " do you pay rego?'
Me: "Yes on two cars, and I am licenced too"
Him " do you pay rego while you are riding that?"
Me "rego pays for insurance and that is all it pays for." Not quite right but it was my comeback at the time. :roll:
Anyway he drove off at this point, and that was that. Hopefully I don't see the turkey again :x
Dogs are the best people :wink: