How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:34 am

Drizzle for the morning run, although stopped for the ride. Still got this silly cold so the muscles didn't want to keep firing on the ride. But a nice ride in otherwise.

malnar

Postby malnar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:24 pm

The distance of this morning's commute was tripled in an unplanned way. Rode the 5ks to the station & realised I'd left my Parkiteer, Myki & work access cards at home. Got to ding the dogs & owners multiple times.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Felt good this morning, got out early and made good time. Beautiful weather. Bike is fresh from a service and shifts nicer than she was brand new, big ups Canning Bridge Cycles :)

Slightly hairy moment at the Narrows underpass at the bottom of the hill coming down from Parliament, was having so much fun whizzing downhill that my mind was momentarily distracted from the tight bend at the bottom, and I got onto the brakes a bit later than I would have if actually concentrating, narrowly avoided an intimate liaison with the wall :oops: Which would have been embarrassing. Pay attention, Lizzy ... :roll:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Lovely, if slow, ride in this morning, battling the sniffles and a cough (man flu) but it was too nice to not ride and I didn't want to take the train with all the other diseases commuters, took it steady and felt better for it. Off the next 2 days with the GLW as she has a knee operation tomorrow

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Pleasant and dry ride this morning in bright sunshine, leading to a foolishly optimistic check of the weather bureau's website. Sunk in gloom at the predictions of rain later today and every day until next Sunday, and yes cleaning and oiling the chain on the weekend just gone was probably asking for trouble.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:32 am

Last night was interesting. Riding up Collins St, at the pedestrian traffic light outside Australia on Collins, I see a huge white bus pull up just after the traffic light and then the driver hops out and starts unloading luggage (presumably the people hopping out are staying at the Novotel on Collins). Only problem for all the cars waiting was that the bus had stopped right where the temporary tram stop is, meaning that no-one could pass him as he unloaded the numerous bags of luggage. Fortunately for me, trusty ol' bicycle has no problems fitting through gaps which meant I had a lovely no-cars ride up the hill after Swanston Street until I reached Russell (due to all the cars being stuck behind the bus).

Unfortunately after Exhibition I had tools in a V8 wannabe pass too closely to me and then get stopped in the traffic 30m further up. As I went past them in the gutter non-bike lane I commented "Wow, so far..." And the passenger window happened to be open... Well... Clearly they'd been practicing what they'd say when I went past as, a split second after I said that, every single comment after that shouted out the open windows of the car was a variation of "YA FAT/DUMB/STUPID/[rhymes with Trucking] [can't with a 'u'']/[rhymes with putt and begins with 'sl']". It was actually quite funny in that they didn't have anything else in their vocabulary except YA and those other 6 words repeated over and over in different ways.

I just shook my head, laughing internally at the fact that they couldn't think up anything original and had to repeat themselves and I ignored their screaming from 3 cars behind me as I waited behind the carriage horses at the head of the lights. I realised as the lights turned green that I might have another altercation with them when they passed me again so I kept a watchful eye in my mirror.

As we moved off, the car just behind the carriage horses seemed to be very polite and shepherding me and didn't pass me (even though Macarthur St then has a bike lane and they could have passed)... Well, Mr In-The-V8 can't take it anymore and crosses the tramways yellow buffer line (which is a breach of the road rules) after the pedestrian traffic light and zooms past everyone. Someone clearly needs a chill pill. Although there wasn't any further shouting so that was a bonus.

This morning was lovely. I stopped to pick up a witches hat thing (the big stalk-like ones that I don't know the name of) that was blocking the bike path on Albert St just before a set of traffic lights. I thought I'd miss the lights but decided to move it out of the way anyway. Karma was on my side as I got those lights. Bonus!

EDIT: Just did a licence plate check... Turns out the vehicle registration is suspended... Hmmm..
VicRoads wrote:Vehicle Type: Car/Truck
Victorian Registration Number: ZNB438
VIN/Chassis Number: 6G1YL54F03L948984
Engine Number: VF022490467
Colour: BLACK
Make: HOLDEN
Body Type: SEDAN
Compliance Plate Date: 11/2002
Year Of Manufacture: 2002
Learner Approved Motorcycle (LAM): Not Applicable
Goods Carrying Vehicle: No
Transfer Dispute: No
Registration Serial Number 9107269
Registration Status: Suspended
Registration Expiry Date:
Sanction(s) Applicable: No

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Summernight wrote: I just shook my head, laughing internally at the fact that they couldn't think up anything original and had to repeat themselves and I ignored their screaming from 3 cars behind me as I waited behind the carriage horses at the head of the lights.
Hey Summer, you have a cool head - we know that from your dooring video. Sorry to hear about this sort of carp....that route out of the CBD can be truly miserable sometimes. I ride it most days too - feel your pain.
Do you have any useful footage that could help in getting that lot of rabble off the road?

Not much to report from my side, reasonable commutes both ways over the last 24 hrs.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

TailWind wrote:
Summernight wrote: I just shook my head, laughing internally at the fact that they couldn't think up anything original and had to repeat themselves and I ignored their screaming from 3 cars behind me as I waited behind the carriage horses at the head of the lights.
Hey Summer, you have a cool head - we know that from your dooring video. Sorry to hear about this sort of carp....that route out of the CBD can be truly miserable sometimes. I ride it most days too - feel your pain.
Do you have any useful footage that could help in getting that lot of rabble off the road?
Indeedy-doody I do. The whole lot was captured on my two front facing and one rear-facing camera. I just have to trim the clips to the important segment and burn to disc. :twisted:

Although I admit maybe saying something so close to their open window wasn't the brightest thing to do, but clearly they have other issues to worry about with a suspended registration meaning non-payment of infringement fines.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 am

last night was a busy commute. coming over the go between bridge, there was a bloke walking his bike. he had a tube but no pump. so i waited for him on the other side of the bridge, changed and pumped the tyre for him.
then at moggil rd lights I had to yahoo yell out g'day to me out of their car window. turns out it was poohkies. he's still a yahoo - i've seen his wheelies.

edit: and endomondo upload isn't working this morning

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 am

First day commuting after a calf injury kept me off the bike, so I was slow & got drenched for my troubles, but it was still waaay better than the bus.

Your a good man jansonc, I don't care what the others say :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 am

find_bruce wrote:Your a good man jansonc, I don't care what the others say :lol:
can you tell my wife that. I'm not in Mrs JasonC's good books at the moment. something about staying in Melbourne for 3 weeks.

and how the hell could reid cycles sell a guy a bike, a saddle bag, tyre levers, spare tube but no pump. I mean WT?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:49 am

jasonc wrote:and how the hell could reid cycles sell a guy a bike, a saddle bag, tyre levers, spare tube but no pump. I mean WT?
Maybe they thought he had enough hot air in himself to do it without a pump... :wink:

What a gloriously stunning morning in Melbourne town. Absolutely beautiful and great to be riding to work on a bike and enjoying all the amazingness.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 am

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Your a good man jansonc, I don't care what the others say :lol:
can you tell my wife that. I'm not in Mrs JasonC's good books at the moment. something about staying in Melbourne for 3 weeks.
Drop me a PM when you're here in sunny Melbs and have time for a beer in the CBD....

I made a new friend on my commute home...a very persistent magpie that patrols the area near the underpass under the M80 Ring Road through to Bundoora.
He spots me as I come out from under the M80 and swoops me for over the next 50m or so into the residential area. Started last Thursday and has had a go at me without fail every day since then.
Brilliant afternoon for the ride home yesterday, bar a couple of motorists giving me a hard time on Victoria Parade.
Chilly and misty this morning, but it's going to be another cracker of a day here...even packed my shorts for the ride back home. :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:11 am

TW - happy to catch up but beer? As it'll be before Around the Bay, there will be no alcohol. I can have a softdrink or something

btw - endomondo upload no worky for me

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 am

jasonc wrote:TW - happy to catch up but beer? As it'll be before Around the Bay, there will be no alcohol. I can have a softdrink or something
btw - endomondo upload no worky for me
No worries, I'm sure we'll be able to find a suitable beverage for you :mrgreen:
The Endomondo app on my phone seems to have worked fine for me this morning...

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 am

jasonc wrote: btw - endomondo upload no worky for me
Just skip this week's uploads, and try again next week

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:05 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
jasonc wrote: btw - endomondo upload no worky for me
Just skip this week's uploads, and try again next week
I can't have P1 anyway - with those 3 weeks off, TW even has P2 sewn up.

EDIT: just tried again, upload worked

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Beautiful weather, don't really need my headlight at go-time anymore. Couple of wacky micro-adventures en route this morning, on the PSP near Glendalough station a ped launched into a very vehement, very loud but untranscribable soliloquy about ... uh ... something, after self and a bloke behind me passed him (with plenty of room I might add). I guess he was telling the whole suburb what a lovely morning it was. Had a giggle with the fellow behind me about it as he overtook.

Then, surprise-cyclocross in Leederville, a big tree had fallen across the path, too big to gather a posse and move it - will put a council feedback form in although I'm sure legions will have beaten me to it.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 am

so we had a winter storm come through Brisbane yesterday afternoon. A workmate and I bolted. Unfortunately we did so about 15 minutes late and both got drenched. Got home, freezing cold (temperature dropped over 5 degrees in the time I was riding), had a hot shower then gave the bike a clean. Only to wake up to wet roads and drizzle this morning :roll:

oh well.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:05 am

The good motorist last night indicated to turn left over the designated bike lane on Elizabeth St, Richmond into a side street (the bike lane continues through that intersection with give way lines on both sides of the bike lane meaning that cars must give way to bicycles in this lane before turning).

However, the lady driving the old car turning left out of the same side street the good motorist was turning into (at the same time as the good motorist) doesn't check (or doesn't seem to care about the oncoming bicycle as she didn't really show surprise when I turned up on the right of her car and shouted at her). She realises I'm not going to slow down for her and she stops completely over the bike lane and half into the through lane. Not that that bothered me as I'd already moved completely into the vehicle lane to evade her possibly stupid actions (which she did). Just another usual encounter at these sorts of intersections. :roll:

So I had waved thanks to the left turner and then had to shout at the other left turner all in the same intersection.

This morning was glorious again. Beautiful morning for a ride. :mrgreen:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 am

Took much longer than usual to gnaw through the chains to my desk last night. Couldn't even face getting changed so I rode the first 10km in my work dress then went rail-assisted.

Welp, I wish I hadn't. The station runs under a bus interchange, so I'm waiting on the platform minding my own business, and I hear the sound of liquid hitting concrete, and I notice that there is some coming down over the sides of the stairs. It's not raining and there's no plumbing anywhere around that could be leaking. I got out of the way sharpish meanwhile, but not before copping a fine spray down one arm and on my trunkbag.

Did someone spill their drink on the stairs? Well, no, but as it then dawned on me, in a way yes. Somebody up there was draining the main vein. Gentle reader, my bike and I got P'd on from a great height.

So I start yelling "What the --- ... REALLY?! WHAT DIRTY FATHER-MUCKER DOES THAT?!..."

Then the train pulled up and I made a beeline for the shower, much as I regret not going up there and kicking his butt down the stairs :(

Then at the other end of the line my dress got caught in my rear brake, bugger it all to heck. I would say serves me right for not riding the whole way but to involuntarily become a stranger's urinal for it? Nope nope nopenopenope. Ugh.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Serious rain this morning, decided to ditch the light spray jacket and break out the Musto offshore version. Very dry, but never realised before how heavy it is. Good training for the climbs I guess.

Thought I was going to see a nasty accident near home last night. A pensioner with coke bottle glasses ran a red light in front of me at walking pace and the jogger waiting on my right took offense and aimed a kick at the side of the car. Unfortunately he misjudged the speed and his foot went into the back wheel arch instead of hitting the back door, jerking him off-balance before luckily coming free again. We disentangled ourselves with no harm done before going our separate ways and I don't think the driver even noticed.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 am

After missing out yesterday due to heavy rain and checking the radar before leaving saw that I had a no-rain window. Roads were very wet, heavy rain clouds approaching fast. Spray jacket - dry top. Bag cover - dry bag. Shoe covers - dry feet. Fixed gear - no drivetrain worries. Mudguard - I'll have to take off the rear light, that means getting a screwdriver... - wet bum.

Better than driving though. Happy Friday
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 am

blue skies and dry weather today. took it easy, saving the legs for tomorrow

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:01 am

Another beautiful afternoon yesterday in Melbourne. As I exited the underpass at the M80 Ring Road, an oncoming cyclist said something that I at first didn't quite understand as we passed, but when my fine, feathered friend slapped its wings next to my ear, I realised he'd been saying "magpie". :mrgreen:
That M80 maggie really takes its job seriously.

Very misty this morning, to the point where I was a little damp by the time I got into the CBD.

Happy Friday! :D