How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 am

Yesterday afternoon it appeared like half of Melbourne must have had an RDO or something - between 3pm - 4:30pm the paths were busier than I've seen in a long time, despite the coolish and overcast conditions. Everyone shared the path nicely though, so all good, and only one or two off-leash mutts.
Cold and clear for this morning's commute into the Melbourne CBD, with some mist about, making it seem colder than the 5C displayed on my little weather station at home. I was a little surprised when a roadie overtook me on Heidelberg road, not because over the overtake as such, but because he was in shorts and a short-sleeved top :shock: , while I was in three layers and longs. He was wearing booties though :) .
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 28, 2013 8:09 am

Got home before dark yesterday and stopped by a LBS to get a new Lezyne Femto rear light. Now that I've got two bikes in a functional state, I needed an extra light. The Ayups just get swapped over at the front end.

Did a river loop this morning and it was wet for the second half and then wet on the way in to work. Weren't too many bikes about the city. Noticeably warmer this morning with the cloud and rain.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 am

Cool foggy commute this morning. Picked up a passenger, thought to myself 'right, lets see what you're made off'. Well 5km later and the lady on her 15 year old mountain bike was still firmly attached to my back wheel! Good on her!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue May 28, 2013 8:42 am

Beautiful foggy morning ride here at Lane Cove. Would have been a big disappointment if I did not commute with my bike today. No rain but wet bike path all the way. Again, one of the most beautiful commute I had in the past 13 months. :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 am

Cold and wet ride, all up quite miserable. On the wifes bike still, no mudguards and as a result everything coated in road grime/crap.

Really enjoyed the sections where I got up to speed and as a result had to try and crane my neck as high as it could go in order to try and get my head/eyes above the filthy spray back coming from the front tyre...copped enough that I really didnt think I would need brekkie once I got to work. Luckily I didnt need to get a drink from the water bottle on the ride as I would have needed a shovel to dig it out from the dirt piled up on the bike.

@TW...Well done on hitting 6k for the year

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 am

gretaboy wrote:Cold and wet ride, all up quite miserable. On the wifes bike still, no mudguards and as a result everything coated in road grime/crap.

Really enjoyed the sections where I got up to speed and as a result had to try and crane my neck as high as it could go in order to try and get my head/eyes above the filthy spray back coming from the front tyre...copped enough that I really didnt think I would need brekkie once I got to work. Luckily I didnt need to get a drink from the water bottle on the ride as I would have needed a shovel to dig it out from the dirt piled up on the bike.

@TW...Well done on hitting 6k for the year
Thanks gretaboy. Now let me sign your leave application for a nice six week holiday - you'll get a break from the weather and I'll get a chance to catch up :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 am

had a crash. again. grrrr

hit a line and the bike went out from under me
broke the mount of my light
have been to emergency. and been patched up.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue May 28, 2013 9:53 am

Bleh that sucks. Heal quick. I've always wondered, do the ambo's throw your bike in the back of the ambulance for you or does it get deserted on the side of the road?

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 am

jasonc wrote:had a crash. again. grrrr

Jason...firstly I hope you get better soon and that the injuries are not too bad

secondly...and just the other day you told me that your light was fine after a crash...now it is broken..mmmmmmmm

thirdly..."hit a line"...white painted line or railway line...wont say tram line since they went out of Brisbane many moons ago.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 28, 2013 10:03 am

that sucks mate, sorry to hear. Was that on the new rear tyre or the baldy one?

Hope you are healed up soon.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 am

Sorry to hear - hope you're ok and heal up quickly!
You've had no issues for ages, if I recall correctly, and now a couple in quick succession... :(. Hope you're back on the bike soon.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 28, 2013 10:22 am

Heal quickly!

Yesterday evening's commute was lovely and uneventful. The chain got a clean and lube, the knee came to the party, and the cars were behaving themselves. :D

This morning it was cold. TailWind, I was wearing short sleeves on the top (although with a thermal underlayer, jersey and vest and long tights and the cycling skirt on the bottom) and I was thinking I may have under-dressed. Wearing only shorts is certainly pushing the cold barrier at bit too far for me when it is 4 degrees but apparently feels like 2. :P

I also got abused by a pedestrian on Collins St just after Swanston going towards Elizabeth St who thought he owned the road because a car decided to block the lane to let him cross where there isn't a ped crossing. I think he tried to hit me with his backpack too. :shock:

This is the type of crossing I'm talking about: https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=colli ... 1,,0,34.37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No zebra, no giveway to peds signs, nothing. Therefore peds need to give way to vehicles. Plus us bikes get the gutter as the bike lane so no-one sees us at all, especially pedestrians coming from the tram superstop. They should put zebra crossings on all the ped exit points... But then cars wouldn't go anywhere at all so that's why they haven't.

Not my favourite parts of Collins St going past those superstops.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 28, 2013 10:30 am

gretaboy wrote:Jason...firstly I hope you get better soon and that the injuries are not too bad

secondly...and just the other day you told me that your light was fine after a crash...now it is broken..mmmmmmmm

thirdly..."hit a line"...white painted line or railway line...wont say tram line since they went out of Brisbane many moons ago.
white line in the middle of the bike path
well, it has had a 2 big crashes in 3 weeks (you can buy the replacement plastic bit but the only place i've found is out of stock)

if anyone has a source if this in stock, could they please let me know

http://magicshinebikelights.co.uk/magic ... 2&p=1&so=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 28, 2013 10:57 am

Really sucks to hear that Jason. I hope you heal up quickly.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Jason will be back soon than we expected! He has already proven that.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

rheicel wrote:Jason will be back soon than we expected! He has already proven that.
have to get home somehow....

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 28, 2013 1:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
rheicel wrote:Jason will be back soon than we expected! He has already proven that.
Bit of rope and Lukeyboy...he is powering away with huge k's, I am sure he will give you a tow :) :mrgreen:

and if he pikes out.....three cheers for public transport (and just leave bike at work)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 28, 2013 1:44 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Bit of rope and Lukeyboy...he is powering away with huge k's, I am sure he will give you a tow :) :mrgreen:

and if he pikes out.....three cheers for public transport (and just leave bike at work)
meh - will ride.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 28, 2013 1:55 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
.....three cheers for public transport (and just leave bike at work)
meh - will ride.
public transport is a bit like that these days...I would rather dance with the semis than catch the trains here...not so much the trains that are the issue, the quality of people on them is

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 28, 2013 3:49 pm

jasonc wrote:if anyone has a source if this in stock, could they please let me know

http://magicshinebikelights.co.uk/magic ... 2&p=1&so=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
£8.95 is a bit steep. What I have used is easy2led mount US$4 plus minimal postage but you can also get them from action led US$3.95 but postage is a fraction higher

As it happens I have 2 from easy2led - I have plans for them, but right now they are sitting in the shed - pm me if you want something to tide you over till you get a replacement
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

meh - will ride.
Crashes out: bummer

Rides on: Dead-set legend.

Given the quality of service from Translink, I can see why Jason is riding (or maybe doesn't want to scare other passengers with his wounds :P ).

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 28, 2013 7:19 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Hahahaha! I was going to reply earlier if he had rope and wanted a tow haha!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 pm

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:if anyone has a source if this in stock, could they please let me know

£8.95 is a bit steep. What I have used is easy2led mount US$4 plus minimal postage but you can also get them from action led US$3.95 but postage is a fraction higher

As it happens I have 2 from easy2led - I have plans for them, but right now they are sitting in the shed - pm me if you want something to tide you over till you get a replacement
ordering 2 right now. thanks
made it home (though the outlaws rang concerned that they heard there was a bike vs 2 cars in toowong this arvo :cry:
have a spare coming from a workmate tomorrow. so all good

thanks for all the support guys. just frustrated with myself at the moment.

edit: and stiff and sore too

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 am

TailWind wrote:Yesterday afternoon it appeared like half of Melbourne must have had an RDO or something - between 3pm - 4:30pm the paths were busier than I've seen in a long time, despite the coolish and overcast conditions. Everyone shared the path nicely though, so all good, and only one or two off-leash mutts.
Cold and clear for this morning's commute into the Melbourne CBD, with some mist about, making it seem colder than the 5C displayed on my little weather station at home. I was a little surprised when a roadie overtook me on Heidelberg road, not because over the overtake as such, but because he was in shorts and a short-sleeved top :shock: , while I was in three layers and longs. He was wearing booties though :) .
You're right. I go the other way (South) and there were heaps of bikes on Monday. Wonder what it was. This morning there were Bicycle Network people waving near the Arts Centre. Some event??

I ride in shorts all winter so I have no idea what your talking about. I've decided that it is the sleeveless top unless the thermometer in the shed goes under 7, then the full jacket. It's not really that cold in Melbourne.

Broke yet another spoke today. It seems like it was for a while on the old bike, about one a week. I've noticed that the replacement spokes I have are thicker, hope that will help. The wheel has 32 spokes but, on the old bike I broke one a week on a 36 spoke wheel so I figure I'm just hard on rear wheels. At least with all the practice I've had replacing them I'm pretty good at it now. Hopefully this will stop soon. I've broken 5 spokes on the wheel and ridden about 1,400KMs on the bike, took 800KM to break one now going through a few. Still, I love the lack of rolling resistance on these wheels so I want to keep using them. I think when it is time for a replacement back wheel I'll see if I can get a 40 spoke wheel!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed May 29, 2013 7:45 am

Backs getting a bit better, still sore, first time in 6 months i've been passed, was a bit emotional, believe he is the guy I try to catch in the mornings when I ride in, we both must have left later, but he passed me at the 10km mark and I just sat back a bit and followed along, think he was hurting but that's okies! still getting back into my grove, really need to up the pace a little! but first week riding in nearly a month! once again I can't belive how much u loose fitness not riding for a month after Ive nearly ridden 5 months straight!