How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

WarbyD

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby WarbyD » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 am

That sucks jasonc!

Turned out I had one last spare tube at home so fitted it up last night, being sure to give everything a damned fine going over in the process... Pretty sure my blowouts yesterday were caused by the tire bead not being seated (correct terminology?) properly on the rim. Reasons for thinking this are:
(1) Prior to my blowouts I remember thinking the front wheel seemed especially "wobbly" and that I will have to make sure I get it trued when I get the bike serviced -- riding in this morning there was nowhere near the same amount of "wobble";
(2) Both blowouts involved a big long, relatively clean, split down the centre of the tube, but they weren't in the same place;
(3) When I was putting the replacement tube in last night and thoroughly checking it I noticed, twice, that the bead wasn't quite seated properly and needed a bit of a massage to get it right.

So... reasonable assumption? I can stop worrying that I will have a repeat again on the way home tonight? Lol

Lesson learnt: THOROUGHLY check to ensure tyre is seated correctly prior to riding off..

This morning's commute in was pleasant enough.. Only averaged 25.6km/h but thats fine.. No issues with stupid cyclists or motorists, and I remain pleasantly surprised at just how courteous the early morning Perth CBD traffic is. Although I would have appreciated if the bus that passed me would have been kind enough to allow slightly more than the 15-20cm that he did, or even just *gasp* not passed me at all given that I would have passed him only 50m or so up the road if not for the fact that his next stop was at my office...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 am

jasonc wrote:had a bike rider on the wrong side of the path in roma st parklands on the blind corner. head on was the result. Am ok. a few bruises. bike seems ok.
Wow....that's scary...how did the other guy fare? Did you have a stern word with him? Hope you're alright and don't have any latent injuries as a result of this. Take care out there.

In contrast, my commute into the CBD was pretty quiet with no incidents.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:33 am

jasonc wrote:had a bike rider on the wrong side of the path in roma st parklands on the blind corner. head on was the result. Am ok. a few bruises. bike seems ok.
Pleased your ok. Could have been nasty.

I am really getting tired and annoyed seeing cyclists on the wrong side of the paths around blind corners. Just yesterday afternoon I got passed by 2 cyclists riding side by side, on a blind twisty section at the start of the western freeway bikepath outbound. So we were 3 wide taking up the entire path at that point, and they were only just faster than me so we stayed 3 wide for a long while.

Cyclists coming the other way are often doing 45km/h and they were chatting to each other, not concentrating on the conditions. The path straightened out just around the corner too. MGIF is a human trait not just a motorist trait. Very stupid stuff that happens too often.

Incidentally Jason, did the other cyclist realise / admit / explain why they were on the other side of the path? At the very least we all need to reflect on these incidents and ask ourselves what we could have done differently.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 am

yes. sterm word were had. feel ok. definitely think I'll have a bruise or two on my right arm. apart from that ok. yes, very frustrating. pretty sure the other guy either skidded or went through the air so he's probably feeling sorer than me.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:54 am

I seriously had to check last night to make sure it wasn't a full moon - rather eventful :

Firstly, there was the usual array of pedestrian meanderthals who make the La Trobe St Copenlanes so exciting in peak hour.

Secondly, the guy coming out of the Melbourne Central Car Park who almost collected me - how about (a) actually looking for cyclists and (b) getting off the sodding phone.

Didn't actually see what happened but number three honourable mention was the car going over the bridge at Etihad. Judging by the tyre marks and debris, it looks like they mounted the footpath, hit the barriers then bounced back across the road ending up in the middle of the tram tracks.

Number four, bike path along Docklands - Anyone who cycles this way knows how busy this gets. To the lady who thought it was a good idea to "walk" her dog along here (looked like a fully grown lab or lab-x) with one hand on the handlebars and the other on the lead, you want to risk your own neck, that's fine - just don't endanger other riders in the process.

Finally, to the courier van turning left off Bourke St onto Harbour Esplanade - that thing on your left hand side is called a bicycle in a bike lane. On the plus side the girl to whom it belonged had an impressively loud voice.

OK - venting over, I feel much better now. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

alexander

Postby alexander » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

Cowcorner wrote:I seriously had to check last night to make sure it wasn't a full moon - rather eventful :

Didn't actually see what happened but number three honourable mention was the car going over the bridge at Etihad. Judging by the tyre marks and debris, it looks like they mounted the footpath, hit the barriers then bounced back across the road ending up in the middle of the tram tracks.
yeah I went through that area around 5:20pm, pretty gnarly crash eh?! You pretty much guessed exactly what happened. Someone over of fixed.org saw this happen.

"Was witness and one of the 1st on the scene to a pretty big car crash today, was intense.
Car ran thru the red light on Spencer/La Trobe going towards Docklands on La Trobe at probs 70kms or so, lost control mounted the footpath hit the bridge side/railing (the one over the train tracks) bounced back across the road straight for me and stopped in the tram tracks a few metres away. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! it was loud and fast.
Driver was ok, but I thought the passenger would be bad looking at the car, but she seemed ok though in massive shock, car was totalled. 1st time I've been right there and calling an ambulance, so glad everyone seemed ok."
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Yep, the front left hand side seemed to have taken the brunt of it - both front suspension and steering on that side looked shot. Certainly the car wasn't going to go anywhere under its own steam. Under the circumstances, maybe this one should have been put in the MM thread.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Back commuting this morning to the office ... 43 kilometres of 30 km/h side winds and headwinds ... nice way to start the day :)

Oh I did get to check out the Queen Mary II :)

Andrew

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Kenmore Brisbane Airport commute

wind Say What that is all

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Tough commute home this afternoon; 42 km into 30 km/h headwinds and the temp was around 30 C. Legs didn't like it at all.

Oh nearly got cleaned up on a Regional Shared Path by a roadie cutting a corner at speed. Waiting for the video to load but pretty sure he seriously locked up the front wheel. Will post the video in the dumb cyclist thread later on and saw a women in a Toyota 4WD do a nice job of mounting the kerb at the traffic lights scaring a ped whose waiting to cross.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Nice ride home- almost a tailwind and long lines of roadies wheelsucking- sat back off each line and waited for each one to break up, not going to overtake 4-6 bikes on a PSP not enough room!! Took it easy compared to the day before and didn't have the urge to vomit this time. :oops:

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Rode into Docklands this morning via Mordialloc and saw red and blue flashing lights around Brighton. Two riders touched wheels and both went down. Informed observer guessed that each had a broken collar bone and possible broken ribs.
Not nice at all!
After that I didn't get too close to anyone's back wheel for the rest of the ride.
Andrew

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:18 am

Brisbane Airport to kenmroe commute

well didn't finish work till 2:30 am so decided to sleep on the couch at work till 4:30 and then ride home, was nice to actually feel human and see other people for a change on my commute, lots of people out riding was nice, didn't add any extra distance on to the commute home just went pretty much straight home :)

that was me jason saying hi

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:20 am

Rode back via the MYT/Darebin Trail Combo yesterday afternoon. Conditions were a bit muggy, but not too hot.
Looks like someone's calling this grassy area along the Darebin Creek Trail their home. They've been around for a few days now.

Warm this morning. I had an annoying rubbing sound coming off my front wheel - the tyre, which seems to be somewhat warped, is contacting the screw head of one of the retaining screws for the mudflap.
It's the Durano Plus which has gone out of shape. Not only does it seem to have a slight kink to it in one spot, but also is seated a little higher in the same location.
I've reseated it several times to no avail. Must look at it again this afternoon.
The DCT campers/squatters were still around this morning.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:34 am

poohkies wrote:that was me jason saying hi
you'd confused me - you're meant to be asleep at that time. yes, i did know it was you. looking strong. brooky tomorrow?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:07 am

Nice enough rides yesterday and this morning. I'm enjoying the bumper to bumper traffic as I sail past in the bike lane. :P

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:30 am

Ride home yesterday was uneventful.. Averaged a whopping 23km/h lol, fastest homeward commute so far I think.

Ride in to work today was as usual, quite pleasant. Nothing noteworthy occurred.. traffic, pedestrians and other cyclists were all well behaved. No blowouts.. 26.6km/h average speed, 1183 calories, 151 avg HR, 193 max HR.

Starting to get used to the heavier "boat" handling of having rack and trunk bag/panniers. Have really been slowing down into corners the last couple of days because the bike just felt so much slower to respond with the extra weight down low. Loving not having a backpack on for the ride and my back is feeling quite a bit better for it too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 pm

TailWind wrote:The DCT campers/squatters were still around this morning.
Nice location for it? We get a lot of backpackers "camping" in the beach carparks here ... causes a bit of grief with the locals :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 pm

WarbyD wrote:Ride home yesterday was uneventful.. Averaged a whopping 23km/h lol, fastest homeward commute so far I think.
Nice work. Distance?

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Uneventful commute to work this morning … still not really commuter fit but following my little operation a couple of weeks ago. 44 km with a 35 km/h crosswind/headwind. Ah well the joys of riding in Perth I guess.

Andrew

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Long insane day at work yesterday, pushed off for home just on dusk. Still quite hot and balmy, but no breeze whatsoever and got to watch fish dinnertime along the glassy river. At the peak of the day's insanity I was first on the scene of a colleague having cardiac symptoms (well, first to understand what was happening and act, at any rate). So I really needed that nice meditation.

(She's under obs and hanging in there BTW).
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Ride home yesterday was uneventful.. Averaged a whopping 23km/h lol, fastest homeward commute so far I think.
Nice work. Distance?

Andrew
30km door to door.. averaging 25-27km/h on the way in during the AM, down to 20-22km/h most afternoons thanks to that damned headwind haha

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Detoured via the fish markets & am now enjoying tuna and salmon sashimi for lunch. Num num num
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:47 pm

TailWind wrote:I had an annoying rubbing sound coming off my front wheel - the tyre, which seems to be somewhat warped, is contacting the screw head of one of the retaining screws for the mudflap.
It's the Durano Plus which has gone out of shape. Not only does it seem to have a slight kink to it in one spot, but also is seated a little higher in the same location.
I've reseated it several times to no avail. Must look at it again this afternoon.
the belt inside the tyre is gone. bin job

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:00 pm

WarbyD wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Nice work. Distance?

Andrew
30km door to door.. averaging 25-27km/h on the way in during the AM, down to 20-22km/h most afternoons thanks to that damned headwind haha

Think of the head wind as training! And keep pushing against it! Imbrace the wind make it your friends :p / ps I know the feeling!