How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Lizzy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

find_bruce wrote:Am strongly supportive of guerilla improvements to the amenities Lizzy.
My hooks are still up - yasssssah! AND I took everything I needed with me to the shower this morning, it's all coming up roses :mrgreen:

Now to get fitter and faster!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 24, 2017 12:21 pm

I'll post some pics in the commute pictures thread later. cracker of a fog in Brisbane

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 pm

jasonc wrote:I'll post some pics in the commute pictures thread later. cracker of a fog in Brisbane
I didn't ride today, so I missed the best of it, but this morning's fog was monumental. A fantastic sight!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Lizzy wrote:My hooks are still up - yasssssah! AND I took everything I needed with me to the shower this morning, it's all coming up roses :mrgreen:

Now to get fitter and faster!
Excellent!

Camera crew out the front of my work as I am about to exit in lycra - will I make the news again?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 pm

The City of Sydney in its infinite wisdom decided to put crowd control barriers across the cycle lane entrance to Pymont Bridge, at the corner of Pyrmont Bridge Rd and Murray St, for the Vivid festival this weekend, forcing cyclists to squeeze next to pedestrians crossing Darling St. Here's a photo someone on twitter snapped.

CoS hasn't responses. Only response has been from Sydney Cycleways who says that they're in talks with bridge management to find a solution 'asap'. I can't see why they don't move the middle three barriers while they think of a solution.

Thousands of cyclists use this bridge every day. If it were something that had fallen across a traffic lane, the council would be there within minutes to remove it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed May 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Pictures up in the commute pictures thread

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Jangari wrote:The City of Sydney in its infinite wisdom decided to put crowd control barriers across the cycle lane entrance to Pymont Bridge, at the corner of Pyrmont Bridge Rd and Murray St, for the Vivid festival this weekend, forcing cyclists to squeeze next to pedestrians crossing Darling St. Here's a photo someone on twitter snapped.

CoS hasn't responses. Only response has been from Sydney Cycleways who says that they're in talks with bridge management to find a solution 'asap'. I can't see why they don't move the middle three barriers while they think of a solution.

Thousands of cyclists use this bridge every day. If it were something that had fallen across a traffic lane, the council would be there within minutes to remove it.
That would be Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority - you know the same morons who thought blocking a much used bridge with a "vertical garden" come maze would be a good thing.

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 am

Do SHFA operate the road adjacent to the bridge as well?

Jangari

Postby Jangari » Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 am

Honestly, I would love to hire a company to place traffic bollards across Williams St or Broadway and time how long it takes for council to effect a resolution. I imagine it would be a matter of minutes and maybe handcuffs for me.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 am

Jangari wrote:Do SHFA operate the road adjacent to the bridge as well?
Sorry I am behind the times - SHFA have been punted to a part of Property NSW, but to answer your question, they are responsible for Darling Drive & I believe that responsibility continues down Murray St & Pirrama Rd

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm

First commute after way too long....again. Cold enough that I hardly sweated while wearing a long sleeved jersey under my rain jacket. Rode at about 85% pace as it's not very bright at 6:15am now!

Good to see sensible behaviour on the PSP. All cyclists had good lights in use, a guy walking his dog was wearing a head torch, and a jogger was wearing a reflective vest.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri May 26, 2017 11:45 am

Left my steed at my not-quite-L-but-on-the-way-BS for a spa day, picked her up last night with a new bottom bracket and brake pads, which were (very thin) toast. Rather concerned for the shop's welfare, they said things had been super slow and the cupboards were pretty bare :( They are the last shop left with easy access to my route, I hope they're going to be OK.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 29, 2017 7:24 pm

It would seem I am as tough as a junket sandwich ... thought it was cold going to work this morning - temperature was down into single digits

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Having just moved I'm finding new segments. I found one - a couple of hundred metres long@6-7%. This morning i gave it a crack. I'm now equal with two other people I know in the building (in the top 10 overall)

march83

Postby march83 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 am

in a word, brisk

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 am

Magic in Auckland last couple of days... avg was 10c this morning and I have a urban MTB ride after work so this mornings climb I detoured around the crater... nice to get off bitumen

“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed May 31, 2017 7:43 am

So it's 5.00am. Dark, raining, and I'm at traffic lights before the top of a nice little decline that ends in a sweeping right. Even I can hit 60 here. No cars, so all good. Just before the sweeper, roadworks signs: No Lines, swerving vehicle. Oh oh....they asphalted last night. All good....it'll be a nice surface but watch out for the stones. Wrong. The rain cut the shift short. All that was done was the planing. I'm already at 50 when I realise. :shock: :lol: I'm not sure how I got out of that one.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Getting a little brisk!

First run of the new Bontrager ION 800 this morning, it's gonna be lit! [/downwiththekidz] I figure if I run two headlights I can't forget to charge them both :oops:

Saw an old regular from back when I was riding almost daily - gentleman of probably at least 70 on an old steel MTB. Well, barely saw. More like felt the sonic boom reverberating as he overtook me at mach-6 ... howling vortex of dust and debris ... in the distance, sirens ... Seriously he is ludicrously quick and about makes me jump out of my skin everytime :shock:

Decided to use the shower nearest the coffee shop. Hot water system says "Far queue, biznatch!!" just as both eyes fill up with shampoo suds ... then cycles through freezing back to tepid while I hastily rinse off and GT-heck-O. Proximity to the coffee shop was a very good thing. Happy almost-Friday!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 pm

What a crap day on the bike.

Trying to get to work on time (for once) I leave a little early. Got some bark stuck in the chain, little problem. Then half a KM down the road I have a puncture. Hmm, bad timing but should still be ok, just fix the puncture and I'll be on my way. Put in a new tube, start pumping. It's going up a little strange but should be ok, seems to just be inflating one part of the tyre. Then, bang, tube explodes. Should have been more careful I know, but now no spare tube.

As one does when one is a smoker, I light a ciggie. Luckily another cyclist came past and offered me his spare tube (offered to pay but he refused). Fixed and on my way. What can I say? Huge thanks to the guy who helped, I was trying to work out what to do next, find a bike shop or go home and swap bikes. You saved my day . . . eternal gratitude. I think I've done this myself in the past but I will certainly offer my spare tube if someone needs it in future. If you're the person who helped the smoking stranded cyclist today on Beach Rd opposite Cafe Racer, you are a champion.

Went out for tea and rode home a bit later than usual. On the way home an idiot tried to kill me at a roundabout (see Moron Motorist thread for details).

Bit of a commuting day to forget really.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 am

I woke up this morning and having breakfast then noticed the rain ... so went back to bed.
Woke up an hour later and still raining so thought at least I can test out the new rain gear...5 min in and it stopped otherwise has been nice weather here.
Also didnt get hit by anyone last month... which makes it the 2nd month in the 12 months that I have been here without being hit... hopefully will have a safer next 12 months
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:35 am

Ok, it was a bit chilly this morning. I may need to consider some wardrobe adjustments. The problem is that I was warm enough by about halfway through the ride so anything warmer would have been too much. Maybe I need to migrate north for winter. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm

ChrisR24 wrote:Ok, it was a bit chilly this morning. I may need to consider some wardrobe adjustments. The problem is that I was warm enough by about halfway through the ride so anything warmer would have been too much. Maybe I need to migrate north for winter. :)
this morning was warmer than yesterday!

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:28 pm

I missed riding yesterday, so I didn't know. :)

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:59 pm

ChrisR24 wrote:Ok, it was a bit chilly this morning. I may need to consider some wardrobe adjustments. The problem is that I was warm enough by about halfway through the ride so anything warmer would have been too much. Maybe I need to migrate north for winter. :)
You're already in Brisbane just how far away from real cold do you need to go?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 am

DavidS wrote:
You're already in Brisbane just how far away from real cold do you need to go?

DS
David - Friday was warmer than Thursday. There's a group ride I won't do in Winter as is too cold. At least one rider on that ride registered 2 degrees yesterday morning. It gets cold up here