How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

lobstermash

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lobstermash » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:31 am

The lovely, still and warm weather is having a well deserved holiday away from Canberra this week. No rain, but this wind is awful :( Still, better than the bus...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:07 am

Pretty unevenful ride into the Melb CBD this morning. Wind seemed to fairly westerly, it just needs to swing a bit to the south now, and this afternoon should be an easy ride for a change....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

yolk

Postby yolk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Good to finally be back on the main yarra trail without having the need to do too many detours. Enjoyed the ride this morning and traffic on the trail wasn't too bad.

Was on swasnton st and had to go across the tram lines to avoid the cop car that was parked just before flinders ln. The guy in front went across the lines as well but failed to get back into the lane and came tumbling down. Another loud crash was heard behind me as someone else fell. Not sure if he panicked seeing the guy in front crash or failed to see/avoid the cop car or got caught by the tram lines as well. Stopped to help the guy in front and he was okay albeit a bit bruised, the guy at the back had about 5 other people who stopped to help so I continued on my way.

If it's someone here, hope they didn't get bruised too badly.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 pm

jasonc wrote:
VRE wrote:
vortex1018 wrote:Had to wear my formal trousers at my new workplace today. After arriving with 15 minutes to spare, just when I was getting off the bike "RRRIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPP". Rushed home as fast as I could to change and rushed back just in time :shock: :x :x :x :x :x
Don't you hate it when, thanks to cycling, your quadriceps become so bloody awesome that your trousers don't fit? :evil: :lol:
N+1 works with trousers too.
Technically I think thats T+1 or perhaps T-1 in the story above.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Perth:

Freakin' harsh wind on the way home tonight. Traffic at a standstill, cyclists getting buffeted by wind and water crashing over them from the river. I was soaked by the time I got to Canning Bridge.

More of the same adventure tomorrow morning on the way in I suspect.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 am

Pleasant ride back via the MYT and Darebin Creek Trail. No issues other than a couple of unleashed dogs, one running next to a jogger in my direction, the other running towards me next to a dude on a bike.
The McKimmies Rd magpie opposite the RMIT campus had a half-hearted go at me, but I must have already been on my way out of its territory because it banked away without getting within striking distance.

Drizzle out of the gate this morning, which increased to solid rain by the time I got to Uni Hill. Decided to take the shorter route into the CBD to avoid getting too drenched. The rain stopped by the time I reached Preston, so I could have stuck with my usual, longer route. Oh well.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:51 am

TailWind wrote:I could have stuck with my usual, longer route. Oh well.
it's not helping me catch you

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:55 am

jasonc wrote:
I've got to watch my "legendary" consistency a bit, or before long you'll be sneaking up on me :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:02 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:
I've got to watch my "legendary" consistency a bit, or before long you'll be sneaking up on me :wink:
I'm happy with 3rd.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am

New one for me this morning.

Got bitten on the nipple by some kind of flying ant/waspy thing. Its gone very red and it hurts, a lot! Feel like I'm having a heart attack at the moment :shock:

Had loosened up the jersey for the 1st time in 6 months, and it must have flow down there.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 am

Not such a good ride today - I came off just before the Fairfield Boathouse on the MYT, below Yarra Boulevard.

Stack was a lowside slide, brought about by:
  • Wet surface
    New bike (new brakes)
    Steep incline
    Knobbly tyres
    Semi-novice commuter.
I think the SPDs helped me, as it all happened so fast that I didn't clip out and consequently held my legs close to the bike, limiting the amount of skin that hit the road.

The final tally is left hand side pal, elbow, thigh/hip and light scratching on legs. Bike landed on the non-drive side, so not much damage to it, mainly just a slightly shifter brifter/hood.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:57 am

Ouch.

It was cold and wet this morning. Socks and shoes are drying out in the office. They got wet from the top down (I was wearing booties and rain trousers). Need to get some gaiters.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:26 pm

having a great commute home until.....

in the last 1.5kms I got cut off by an Urban Assault Vehicle and swooped a total of 5 times by 3 different magpies :shock:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Does a commute to a job interview count as a commute? Okay, so I didn't commute to the interview itself, I used a closer base of operations to change into the appropriate gear. I used La Trobe Street. Not bad except for the intersection points where cars want to turn left with all the peds crossing and completely block the bike lane as they wait.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 am

Summernight wrote:Does a commute to a job interview count as a commute?
Yes

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:59 am

Lovely afternoon for the ride back via MYT, Greensborough, Bundoora. Pity I was somewhat lacking in performance...
Back to winter mode this morning, 2.5C when I left, but at least it was dry and clear. Must have slept in an odd position - muscular ache near my right shoulder blade - made twisting or head-checking a little annoying.

Happy Friday! :D

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:17 am

Ouch. Picked the wrong gloves today... 3 degrees and fingerless do much pain make. But after fiddling with my saddle and bars earlier in the week, all seemed to be in the right position this morning.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:58 am

I have been pretty quiet this week. Start of the week I was feeling off, just very flat. Didnt help that I had to battle a 43 k headwind all the way home Tuesday arvo. That really took it out of me, to such an extent I actually didnt feel like eating for a long time...and that alone says something was wrong with me....I always feel hungry.

Due to feeling flat I have simply done door to door rides this week, each way. I have been very cruisy too, averaging around the 25-27 k/h mark for each ride as I really didnt have anything more to give.

Wednesday arvo I had 20+ k/h headwinds, not as bad as Tuesday but still hard work given I was feeling flat.

Living up to its notoriety, today...Fri the 13th, was dark, overcast and cold. Really thought I would get rained on but luckily for me I didnt. Had a car start to turn across my front but stopped just in time for me to not collide with the bonnet, wasnt happy, but live to ride another day.

Am hoping next week is a better energized week for me.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

fooling around on the way home...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Weird incident - was riding slowly in an area with quite a few pedestrians & only about 20 m from work. An iPed was walking parallel with me when he inexplicably turned left and walked straight into me. I mean I know that I am so slim that from side on you can barely see me*, but seriously dude what sort of idjit are you ?

* sarcasm, in case you were wondering

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Eastlink trail from Ringwood to Dandenong South and back 60klm all up and was fantastic !! Face froze in the first 10 min but ok eventually - great track and will become a weekly thing a lot of love for the Pearl Izumi soft shells given the wind chill plus my new Tifosis vanished after 5 mins of riding (ie forgot I had em on until a bug hit the left lense!)
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

Orion

Postby Orion » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:57 am

First ride to and from work yesterday with "proper" cycling shoes instead of daggy old sandshoes. These are the ones I got:

http://99bikes.com.au/shoe-shimano-m088-black-wide-fit

Noticed a bit of difference - maybe a slight improvement in power to the pedals (I'm still using platform type pedals, clipless may be in my future). But I felt some discomfort in the sole of my foot, perhaps from the non-flexing nature of the shoe?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:39 am

Not familiar with that shoe in particular but some of the Shimano road shoes are like that when brand new. After a few rides the shoes mould to the shape of your foot. If you still have a bit of discomfort in the arch they also have inserts that can be moulded and slip in under the sole of the shoe.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:09 am

Got a abused by a motorcycle rider on the way to work yesterday.

I had come to a set of lights and rolled through on the left hand side. I could see that the lights on the other side had changed red and continued on. I crossed the white line as the lights changed to green.

The colour blind fool on the moto pulled up beside me 50m down the road and started abusing me saying that I ran the red light as well as some lovely things about cyclists in general. Numbnut!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Blow him a kiss and ride on, should really get him going :mrgreen: Got to pick your mark a bit though :)

Bloody cold weather is back here. Last week I was in bib shorts and jersey, back to long sleeves and leg warmers again. :(
Dogs are the best people :wink: