How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40 am

Summernight wrote: Ahhh, a usually weekly occurrence along there from my experience - either a taxi or a car dropping off passengers parks BETWEEN the bollards and not in the designated parking bays. :roll: I sent a complaint to the Melbourne City Council about the spacing of the bollards not being sufficiently close together to deter this... And didn't receive any reply. Very considerate of them. Not.
Yep, happens frequently..I'm all for segregated bike lanes, but it's got to be done right. The Albert St lane, esp. going downhill can be a real menace...

Another lovely afternoon in Melbourne yesterday for the ride back, stopped off in Eaglemont to catch up at the old local, then home.
Warm this morning - 17C in Alphington at 5am. First ride in shorts since the start of winter. :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:57 am

Boring commuting at the moment...nothing much happening. This morning was thick pea soup fog so got me all nice and damp...also gets me a little worried about being seen with enough time by the vehicular traffic.

Passed 13 000 k's of pure commuting for the year this morning too...who would have thought this was ever possible

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 am

gretaboy wrote:Passed 13 000 k's of pure commuting for the year this morning too...who would have thought this was ever possible
that's a lot of commuting kms. well done

you could stop now and I probably wouldn't catch you

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:04 am

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Funny how you can go ages with no idiots then 2 in one trip - doing 30km/h when a 4wd cuts across me then tries to add a right hook for good measure.

Then almost home 4.3m wide shared path, clear centre line, tough guy running on the wrong side, tried sticking his elbow out - into a 95kg former front rower. That must have stung :roll:
was contact made?
Not with the 4wd, but sadly yes with the jogging banker - I couldn't move left - runner beside me, I couldn't cross to the wrong side of the path due to the peds behind him & he refused to move to his left despite the vacant space. I could have done an emergency stop in front of him , however we would have passed cleanly except for him deliberately sticking his elbow out. His arm & jacket hit my elbow, didn't hurt me at all, but I suspect his flailing arm would have stung a bit.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:37 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Passed 13 000 k's of pure commuting for the year this morning too...who would have thought this was ever possible

cheers mate...even my "cough VMscore cough" is looking much better after my monday shits and giggles ride.

Am going to go and give a racing a go this weekend, go along and see what it is like..something different to commuting

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 am

jasonc wrote:

Good work, gretaboy...I'm now 2750km adrift. How about a nice 2 month holiday?? :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 am

Weather is great and I'm feeling fantastic. Last night I realised I need to put a water bottle back in my bottle cage as I'm starting to get parched on the rides again as it gets hotter. Unfortunately I broke the lid on my previous one when trying to hang the bike upside down in the rack (bottle fell out... Gravity. Who would have known? 8) ). I don't have any other water bottles that really fit well so I've put a Yarra Council freebie bottle that is a bit too big in the cage and hopefully I'll actually be able to pull it out when needed otherwise I'm going to have to look at different options.

Had a dumb cyclist on an electric tandem bike thing (the back seat was a child's/baby seat set up with no pedals that I could see but did have handlebars) in front of me turn right in front of an approaching car without any indication last night. Scared the bejeezus out of the motorist. Poor driver. All for nothing too as the cyclist then did a u-turn out of the dead end street and I have no idea where he went next. Completely unnecessary and dumb.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 am

Nice late ride into Perth yesterday lunch, had the morning off so was nice to ride in later, plus the weather was nice, first ride of the season with a thin short sleeve top and shorts. Plus the 1st ride with my new Deuter rucksack, which is so much more comfortable than the poxy free bag from work. Hopefully the weather holds up this afternoon for the home leg

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am

find_bruce wrote: Not with the 4wd, but sadly yes with the jogging banker - I couldn't move left - runner beside me, I couldn't cross to the wrong side of the path due to the peds behind him & he refused to move to his left despite the vacant space. I could have done an emergency stop in front of him , however we would have passed cleanly except for him deliberately sticking his elbow out. His arm & jacket hit my elbow, didn't hurt me at all, but I suspect his flailing arm would have stung a bit.
What a tosser :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 pm

I'd love to see that jogger try it on with this guy I saw last night, he was flying along nicely.

edit: or the Governor, cycling with a disciplinary belt ready for thrashings.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:49 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Good work, gretaboy...I'm now 2750km adrift. How about a nice 2 month holiday?? :mrgreen:
TW....if my company keeps going the way it is currently, you may just get your wish

15 people that I know of made redundant in the last two days...two weeks prior another 10+ gone

bad mojo happening in major IT companies at the moment

kb

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Summernight wrote:Weather is great and I'm feeling fantastic. Last night I realised I need to put a water bottle back in my bottle cage as I'm starting to get parched on the rides again as it gets hotter. Unfortunately I broke the lid on my previous one when trying to hang the bike upside down in the rack (bottle fell out... Gravity.
Ah. Mine are magnetic :-). Makes getting replacements a nuisance though.

I had some spare time last night and it was great weather so I thought I'd do a couple of runs up and down the Boulevard. After a couple of hundred metres, a possum darted across the road. Spooked me = leisurely ride for the remaining 21km home. I swear he was waiting by the side of the road playing "chicken"...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I did my normal bunch ride out to Redcliffe this morning. Lovely weather too. :).

What was cool was a koala walking along the footpath at Petrie. He scampered up a tree as we past. It's not every day you see that. :mrgreen:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Cracking commutes to and from work today. Took Adelaide Ave instead of the bike paths for the first time. It's a seriously fast bit of road!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Good ride home. 'Twas spitting and trying to rain as I set out. Got home and not 5 minutes later it started pouring. I got home just in time. :mrgreen:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Going in, the car in the rh lane and I in the left nearly cleaned up a BMX Ninja, then 5" later hatchback girl blazes a red across me bows at stooooopid numbers. Waay too close for comfort. That was just the home-station leg.
Off at Footscray for the rest via Footscray Rd and Southbank as the adrenalin hit from hatchback girl had gone sour and I wasn't feeling the best. Big gear, low cadence bloke on FSY Rd. Passed him regularly only to have him zip by at every red light *sigh*.

Bucketing down and too knackered at the end of the 6th 10hr shift over 7 days so piked it to the almost full train option. Headed home and got tailgunned for a good portion of the run by a different hatchback girl. Low speed and she kept the clowns who think that 'cos that they aren't speeding they're driving safe :roll: away from me. Faith Restored!!! :mrgreen:

Avagoodweegend :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

limbot

Postby limbot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Finally did the 3km 250 m elevation commute home today. Been too "scared" ( been off the ciggies for almost a year now after 30 years of smoking) since getting my bike 4 months ago. Not as bad as I thought and it's a course now in mapmyride to see how quickly I improve.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 am

TailWind wrote: Warm this morning - 17C in Alphington at 5am. First ride in shorts since the start of winter. :)
Whaaat? I've been riding in shorts all through winter, not that bad. ;)

This afternoon was interesting. Storm came in with a few KMs to go. Howling gale and heavy rain, and I was riding along the foreshore at Elwood Beach. Managed to make it home ok but it sure got difficult for a while. Also I was taking a record home, good thing it was sent to me in a good package, it was bone dry when I unpacked it so all ok.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:19 am

limbot wrote:Finally did the 3km 250 m elevation commute home today. Been too "scared" ( been off the ciggies for almost a year now after 30 years of smoking) since getting my bike 4 months ago. Not as bad as I thought and it's a course now in mapmyride to see how quickly I improve.
great work limbot. but strava is the "tool" of choice around here

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:04 am

Tough ride home last night, checked the weather radar just before 5pm which seemed to show the front of rain was just passing, true enough it was mostly dry all 40kms but there was quite a nasty cross/headwind all the way, made it very difficult to keep the speed up, but I felt good when I got home.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 am

This morning felt good, although I was later than usual. And got honked by a small car saying to me "get back in the dooring zone" on Collins St. Which I ignored (actually, I should have engaged the kiss manoeuvre instead of swearing at them under my breath), the car that honked me was then behind me (I was watching it closely in the rear view) and then I claimed the lane in the downhill section and was slowed down by the car in front of me. Said car that honked me was behind me for about 3 blocks, including in the uphill section after Queen St where they looked to be slightly weaving right and left behind me trying to find a gap to push through (I was claiming the lane in this section too as I was behind a slow moving van). When I indicated that I was turning right the driver then passed me on the left... Only to turn left into a side street not 10 metres ahead. I'm glad I claimed the lane as I might have had him left hook me if I'd gone into the bike lane/dooring zone there. :|

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:56 am

gretaboy wrote: TW....if my company keeps going the way it is currently, you may just get your wish

15 people that I know of made redundant in the last two days...two weeks prior another 10+ gone

bad mojo happening in major IT companies at the moment
That's not the holiday I had in mind for you...was thinking more along the lines of you sipping margaritas on a tropical beach somewhere! :D
Let's hope your version doesn't come to pass! Holding thumbs that it works out for you.

I'm seeing a lot of off-shoring, consolidation, outsourcing etc as well, but I've been ok as an independent contractor so far...hopefully the next contract allows me to continue commuting...

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:59 am

DavidS wrote:
TailWind wrote: Warm this morning - 17C in Alphington at 5am. First ride in shorts since the start of winter. :)
DS
Yeah, soft, I know. For me, anything below 12C or so is good enough reason to pull on longs...the trick is to find the sweet spot between snug & cozy and overheating :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:05 am

TailWind wrote:
DavidS wrote:
DS
Yeah, soft, I know. For me, anything below 12C or so is good enough reason to pull on longs...the trick is to find the sweet spot between snug & cozy and overheating :mrgreen:
garmin got down to 9 this morning - got away (just) with jersey, knicks and fingerless gloves

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 am

Commute back yesterday afternoon was windy once again, all of it from the wrong direction, but I elected to do the hilly ride via the MYT and Greensborough anyway, just stuck to a moderate pace and all was good.
So, 2 months later, the MYT on the north bank between Punt and Burnley Harbour is still closed. I've travelled along South Bank at 3pm most days in this time, and, apart from two occasions, where a lonely workman was doing something, I've seen no activity whatsoever. No sense of urgency in re-opening one of the major commute routes :(. There seem to be some new yellow patches on the pontoon bridge ramp as far as I can make out from the other side, but not much else. Maybe they're waiting for summer (icing problem goes away by itself) before reopening??

Windy ride into the CBD this morning, but unproblematic. Then got back on the bike to head through to the kids' school in Fitzroy North for Father's Day breakfast, then back to the office again at 9am. Used one of the popular bike routes inbound along Canning St and was swamped by a horde of fellow cyclists engaged in some CCR, I suspect :mrgreen:

Happy Friday! :D