How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

tez001

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby tez001 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:25 am

Got roasted this morning by two ladies with a pram. If anyone knows the Bay Run, there is a pinch point on the corner of Timbrell Dr and Dobroyd Pde. They are currently widening the path with a bridge with clear vision around the corner so that will be great once its all finished.

Signs do say for cyclists to dismount. I find riding slowly and stopping if there are oncoming peds / cyclists more effective than dismounting and taking up the whole path.When I got to the end of the temporary path, one of the women started to blast me, saying cant you see a lady in a pram is trying to get on the path (cant see from the other side) and I should dismount. I stopped to explain my action but she wouldnt have a bar of it. The conversation was going no where and she kept huffing and puffing, so I just jumped back on the bike and continued. Feel sorry for any other cyclists who were behind me. I dont think it helped that the previous rider told them to f off :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 am

Just for the record, I wasn't the previous rider, not on this occasion anyway. My practice is pretty much the same as yours tez - ride slowly carefully, stop to allow people to pass. as you say it takes up less room.

I do wonder how much longer it is going to take them to finish the bridge - it seems that all that is needed is handrails & landscaping, but nothing has happened for ~2 months.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:45 pm

This morning must have been unofficial others meeting day. I woke later than I wanted and didn't have enough time for a good detour so took the fixie for a shorter detour on the foreshore share path. Came across at least three groups on the path stopping for a chat and blocking a significant part of it. No big issues though, ding of the bell, slow down then pass. Extra acceleration training!

It's starting to warm up, didn't need long sleeves (lucky as I didn't have any)

Before I left I lubed the chain as it had been a tad noisy for the last couple of rides. Blissful silence from the drive train, but then one of my cleats decided to squeak and spoiled it. Oh well, some more maintenance time required.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:Just for the record, I wasn't the previous rider, not on this occasion anyway. My practice is pretty much the same as yours tez - ride slowly carefully, stop to allow people to pass. as you say it takes up less room.

I do wonder how much longer it is going to take them to finish the bridge - it seems that all that is needed is handrails & landscaping, but nothing has happened for ~2 months.
Hopefully it wont be too long. I normally dont stop, however felt the need to try and reason and get my point across. Ie if I dismounted and took up the whole path it would cause more issues.
Anyhow, it'll all be a moot point soon

Hootsmon0204

Postby Hootsmon0204 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Wet in Melbs on way into work today.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Hootsmon0204 wrote:Wet in Melbs on way into work today.
And will still be the case for the ride home - yay.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:32 am

wet out. rode home with poohkies wife giving her some ideas on how to make him hurt now that he's slacked off riding
wet in this morning too

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:41 am

Wet roads this morning... Well from what I can see from the train window but need to get the bike home tonight.. Anti biotics are kicking in so should be good and hopefully the rain will go away
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:45 am

Yesterday arvo there was a stiff breeze, in the tailwind direction for a change. Took a little detour and collected a PR on a segment, riding fixed. Spotted a couple of roadies in front and that helped me keep up the pace for a bit. Was hoping to catch them on the turn around point, but they continued on a diff route so although I all but caught them, didn't get the chance to pass (gloat ;))

Later on had an issue with a pedestrian. Rang my bell, slowed, and she just stood there staring at me in the middle of the path. I had to pretty much stop because I didn't know which way she was going to go. The other peds with her had scattered to either side of the path, I think she was still working out which of her parents to go to. Little girl of about two :) funny really, 'twas a real stare off.

I'd lost a little momentum to catch another rider in front noticed before the stare-off, but with the tailwind was able to really crank it up again afterwards and catch him. Not taking points for CCR, but still worth a chase down to prove a point. It was an older guy on a squeaky old 10spd with upturned bars. Caught and passed comfortably. No CCR points, but Both chases gave me a decent workout though

This morning the winds felt like they were coming from Antartica. Not dressed for it so no extensions today, straight to work.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:24 am

On the way home Wednesday night the lady cyclist in front of me almost got squished into parked cars on Collins Street by a car that decided to try and pull into an empty parking space outside the Baptist Church without looking or indicating. Luckily she was aware and the driver stopped. At the next set of lights I had a chat with the lovely lady cyclist about new cars not having indicators installed. :)

Thursday morning a taxi driver decided to move out from the side street beside Treasury into the line of traffic in Macarthur without a care for bikes in the bike lane. I went to press my horn button but couldn't find it, so all he got instead was a death stare and a shake of the head. When I looked later at my handlebars I saw that the button had moved around the handlebar slightly, meaning I couldn't easily reach it with my thumb. Issue resolved and horn ready for use again.

Wet on the way home Thursday night, but beats sitting on the tram or train. Pedestrians love to cross the street when the lights are green for oncoming traffic. One such ped did so with complete disregard, so I laughed quietly in a disbelieving way... To which I got an "F&*(AT) you". Charming.

This morning I pull the bike out of the house ready to hop on and head to work, only to notice dreaded orange stains on my chain... Oh no!!! I've been so lax with lubing it that last night's wet ride had the rust bunnies come out. Most of it was removed by the time I got to work (more rain and chainwheels moving to remove the orange terror) so I sheepishly put on some cleaning lube when I got to work. Will have to clean it again at lunch.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:59 am

Got soaked yesterday morning and evening. Stopped by my LBS on the way home to pick up a new cadence magnet. Got asked to stand on a towel as I was dripping too much water over the floor :oops: One of these days I'll learn to dress for what Google says the weather will be doing instead of what it's like outside my front door.

Quiet ride in this morning (except for the 4km section where you can annoy the cr*p out of drivers by beating them hands down and the van driver who had second thoughts about parking in the LaTrobe St bike lane), only started raining when I was about 5km from work #winning

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:24 pm

WhingingPom wrote:Got asked to stand on a towel as I was dripping too much water over the floor :oops:

:shock:

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:34 pm

jasonc wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:Got asked to stand on a towel as I was dripping too much water over the floor :oops:

:shock:
I know. If it were my shop, I'd have handed the offender a mop especially if I'd just cleaned the floor 2 minutes before closing :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 pm

broke a spoke on the commute home :(

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:46 am

full week finished after 3 weeks off sick. Legs are great, condition not so great, gut even less so :(

Managed to ride into a flooded M80 underpass again on Thursday, backed out and went around for a change as it was the highest I've seen it. Long cut included a timber deck bridge...yep, slipped over into the rails :lol: At least the bike landed into me. Yesterday morning heading in I thought I heard a lawnmower, my senses were going off so I slowed a bit (fancy new Light and Motion light lets me go as fast as I want now).....out of the gloom pops some moron on a home made quad towing a garden trailer on the bike path. He even decided to try a bit of Chicken on, and lost :lol: . Seems to be a few more commuters about now....at least until Thursday's rain. Maybe it's warm enough now? suppose the idiots on their 25 buck chinese dirt bikes will start appearing soon.

Oh yeah....Light and Motion 650 Lumen. Big raps. I like seeing where I'm going these days. It may not be all Euro trash Hub dyno concentrically cabled up and german engineered out of unobtanium, but I don't care. It works, and doesn't blind people as I have the ability to dip it if needed. This is achieved through the use of my "hand", in conjunction with my "brain". It was a birthday present too, so nil cost. Can't beat it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:56 am

bychosis wrote:Yesterday arvo there was a stiff breeze, in the tailwind direction for a change. Took a little detour and collected a PR on a segment, riding fixed. Spotted a couple of roadies in front and that helped me keep up the pace for a bit. Was hoping to catch them on the turn around point, but they continued on a diff route so although I all but caught them, didn't get the chance to pass (gloat ;))

Later on had an issue with a pedestrian. Rang my bell, slowed, and she just stood there staring at me in the middle of the path. I had to pretty much stop because I didn't know which way she was going to go. The other peds with her had scattered to either side of the path, I think she was still working out which of her parents to go to. Little girl of about two :) funny really, 'twas a real stare off.

I'd lost a little momentum to catch another rider in front noticed before the stare-off, but with the tailwind was able to really crank it up again afterwards and catch him. Not taking points for CCR, but still worth a chase down to prove a point. It was an older guy on a squeaky old 10spd with upturned bars. Caught and passed comfortably. No CCR points, but Both chases gave me a decent workout though

This morning the winds felt like they were coming from Antartica. Not dressed for it so no extensions today, straight to work.
Ha ha.

I saw a workman on the construction site at the corner of Timbrell Dr & Dobroyd Parade. Bridge has been up for months and only needs handrails to finish, but no hurry, it will be done before Christmas

tez001

Postby tez001 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 am

find_bruce wrote:
I saw a workman on the construction site at the corner of Timbrell Dr & Dobroyd Parade. Bridge has been up for months and only needs handrails to finish, but no hurry, it will be done before Christmas
Good to know we might cop a few more sprays from peds until Christmas for not dismounting :)

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:14 am

Ride in this morning was fairly uneventful. Only had to deathstare one driver who doesn't think zebra crossings on the bike path apply to them.
I threw my short sleeve jersey into my backpack this morning, in hope that the "sunny" forecast for this arvo on the BOM will come true.
At the end of Friday arvo's commute I was arriving home as school finished, and had a couple of girls walking home from school clap and cheer as I rounded the last corner. Felt like I was riding in a grand tour or something, only slower.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:44 am

Ride in this morning started off as "a quiet one" thanks to a 5:30 spin session. Ok ok, so it was 5:35 by the time I got there, but I rode, so I actually started early.

Filtered through traffic and pulled up at a set of lights opposite Reservoir station only to have a tipper truck driver revving his engine and creeping forward. He was obviously a very nice, considerate chap and just wanted to see who would win in the 3.5km run down the road to Bell St. Felt utterly broken at the end of it, but beat him by about 50m. The rest of the ride was somewhat more sedate.
RyanTAkers wrote:At the end of Friday arvo's commute I was arriving home as school finished, and had a couple of girls walking home from school clap and cheer as I rounded the last corner. Felt like I was riding in a grand tour or something, only slower.
I think I see a coaching business opportunity here! :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:16 pm

The world is good :D

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Forgot to clip in properly after a set of lights and now have skinned shin
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:47 pm

:P

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 pm

Wet . . . very bloody wet.

Such is life, all dry now. At least the wind often disappears in the wet.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:43 am

wet roads this morning in Brissy

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 am

Damp Sydney roads following some rain overnight but mild, gloriously sunny and my fenders took care of any possibility of brown-stripe. Also rocked the BNA Premium kit for the first time. It's warm enough for summer kit and vest finally.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS