How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jules21

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:17 pm

that's terrible news Gretaboy. wishing you a speedy recovery. stay strong.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:01 am

gretaboy and Mrs gretaboy, I wish your family all the best at this terrible time and may gretaboy make a full and speedy recovery

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 am

Terrible news about Gretaboy, thank you for updating us and I hope he makes a quick and speedy recovery.

My commute this morning was uneventful, but I encountered more cyclists than usual. Maybe the cooler conditions have brought them out of the woodwork.

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Gretaboy and mrs gretaboy - wishing you both all the best during this difficult time.

Hope and pray that you make a full recovery Gretaboy - all the best for you and your family.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:49 pm

much love and good vibes going to gretaboy and family.

Melbourne: swirling blustry winds, mostly southerly, hard to tell.

Felt like a sad sack this morning, heavy legs, head wind, felt like my back tyre was fl@. But suprisingly, passed a tonne of people, and climbed well? Very weird. Only rode one day last week, and it was Monday so had a whole 7 days off due to Melbourne's heat wave.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Oh dear Lloyd, very best wishes beaming out to gretaboy and clan :( :(

First day back at work after a glorious break, started the year as I hope to continue on the new(ish) 28km commute. Beyond that I think I'll just count my blessings.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:35 pm

Ride from home to bullcreek train station (15km) this morning was very pleasant in spite of only getting around 4hrs sleep last night..

Riding home though felt like I was going to die haha.. Hot dry wind in one's face sucks!! Hopefully that ride home feels easier as the week goes on..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Brisbane commute to airport

didn't enjoy it, stupid wind and running late! guess you get that on the good jobs,

is anyone taking suppliements for muscle repair etc over night / what you taken and how well is it working

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 pm

poohkies wrote:is anyone taking suppliements for muscle repair etc over night / what you taken and how well is it working
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_522 ... rbon-750ml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good! :P

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
poohkies wrote:is anyone taking suppliements for muscle repair etc over night / what you taken and how well is it working
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_522 ... rbon-750ml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good! :P
Very nice.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:26 am

not what i was thinking, but think it will probably do the job :)

Airport to Kenmore Commute 10:30pm

epic ride home, the wind was on my side loved every minute of it :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:01 am

Rain didn't stop me today.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:40 am

DaveOZ wrote:Rain didn't stop me today.
+1 it was even a nice change from the heat on saturday.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 am

warm ride this morning

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am

wife's commute in, i just carried her bag

kenmore to southbank and back to Kenmore

lovely ride lots of people out :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 am

I was late heading out today because after my swim at the gym this morning I headed out to the car park only to find some frustrated fellow gym goers with a stuck boom gate blocking the car park. Some were contemplating ramming the boom gate (that would have been fun!). It took about half an hour for the maintenance people to find the right key and hit the boom gate in the right spot in order to pull the boom out of the holder, and then off we went, 25 minutes later than anticipated.

Then the side street I usually take to get home after the swim was closed so I had to do a rat run through some one-way streets that didn't quite work. As expected after the boom gate debacle, I arrived home late, left home on the bike late and got to work late. Almost forgot my wallet and phone too in the rush, but remembered 200m from home so turned around and grabbed them.

I've been thinking about riding the bike to the gym as well. If I had this morning I would have sailed right out of there without a care that the boom gate was stuck. Ah well.

The ride was pleasant though. I had a quick chat to another cyclist while waiting for the lights on the corner of Bourke and Elizabeth St about the 'lovely' new bike lane installed there in Elizabeth St... Which that morning was sporting two or more delivery vans that were poking out and blocking half of the already small bike lane. I don't ride in that lane anyway, but it just compounded the fact that that lane has been poorly installed. Here's hoping they actually do something about my complaint.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 am

Didn't ride last Friday or on Monday, I think the heat got to me last week. On top of that, I developed an inflammtion of my outer ear canal which then swelled up to the point where I couldn't hear properly in my right ear.
Decided that enough was enough and I'd take a break.

The heat on Thursday was enough to expand a concrete section on the path along Cheddar Rd to the point where two sections pushed together to form a flat inverted V, steep enough to throw one off the bike if one didn't brake for it
The angle isn't that obvious in the pic:

Did ride to a picnic on Sunday on my cargobike, but was thwarted by one of these "cattle gates" meant to prevent cars and motorbikes from getting through. Unfortunately, a Bakfiets is way too long to fit through too:

Sluggish ride in this morning - still not feeling 100%, but got there eventually, slowed down even more with a cool sourtherly headwind.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 am

poohkies wrote:Brisbane commute to airport

didn't enjoy it, stupid wind and running late! guess you get that on the good jobs,

is anyone taking suppliements for muscle repair etc over night / what you taken and how well is it working
I use musashi protein carb matrix (chocolate) which seems to do the trick to top up some calories and assist the muscles. Don't have much to compare it to, but it certainly seems better than when I wasn't using it

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 am

poohkies - go to nutrician warehouse jindalee homemaker centre
grab a tub of "100% lean whey"
also while you are there, grab a tub of revive - awesome pre- and in ride drink

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 am

TailWind wrote:The heat on Thursday was enough to expand a concrete section on the path along Cheddar Rd to the point where two sections pushed together to form a flat inverted V, steep enough to throw one off the bike if one didn't brake for it
Woohoo! New jump! :P

H0LD THE LINE

Postby H0LD THE LINE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:23 am

My commute is right on 11K, this morning I got about 200m (10.8k) from work and realised I wasn't wearing my helmet. I'd ridden all that way and not noticed I'd left it at home :(

warthog1

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:59 am

Just read about Gretaboy :(

Best wishes on a good and speedy recovery to Greta and family.

Stay safe everyone. There are some seriously incompetent and distracted drivers out there.
We hand out licences far too easily in this country and don't retest particularly as people age :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Melbourne:

Grey, and mild wind, 16º. Well it felt like a mild wind this morning, more like a dutch hill when I was pedalling east towards the city, felt a lot stronger than it looked. Spotted 3 people walking their bikes along the Footscray bike path today, all in different spots. Very weird.

I find the greatest issue in getting a decent time, or shaving more off my commute is the red lights, I seem to get stuck in Docklands on some serious 90 second sets almost 4 in a row. Plus the amount of people I needed to pass was a lot, and I'd prefer to do this safely rather than rush for the sake of shaving off 30 seconds. But I suppose thats a good thing as it means more cyclists on the move! :)
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 pm

TailWind wrote:Did ride to a picnic on Sunday on my cargobike, but was thwarted by one of these "cattle gates" meant to prevent cars and motorbikes from getting through. Unfortunately, a Bakfiets is way too long to fit through too:

Sluggish ride in this morning - still not feeling 100%, but got there eventually, slowed down even more with a cool sourtherly headwind.
Yep I have the same problem towing my little guy on a weehoo, even in an articulated vehicle they can be a pain to get through

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Summernight wrote:
TailWind wrote:The heat on Thursday was enough to expand a concrete section on the path along Cheddar Rd to the point where two sections pushed together to form a flat inverted V, steep enough to throw one off the bike if one didn't brake for it
Woohoo! New jump! :P
Hehe, I would have been one very surprised and airborne commuter had I hit that coming the other way (downhill) in the early and dark hours of the morning. :mrgreen:
Thankfully the slabs settled back into place after the cool change.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike