How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

poohkies

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 am

Hamster wrote:
jasonc wrote:
front? my marathon plus is still going 13000kms
And what do you weigh? My tyres dont last me more than twelve months gentle twice a week riding.
just over 80kgs[/quote]

Shall we say that mine are carrying significantly more than 80kg :lol: .[/quote]

hamster i'm anywhere between 115 on a good week and 125, with around 120psi in my tyres i'm lucky to get 2000km's out of them

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:57 am

Hot yesterday- Humid today with a slight headwind made for a hard sweaty commute this morning- the rest of the week is warming up towards 40 on both days this weekend. Perth is going to be hot!!

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:09 pm

It was quiet this morning...didn't see another cyclist until I hit the story bridge
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:47 pm

When did my bike get so heavy? I swear it gained a few kilos over the 2 week break... I didn't ride once over the holiday. Of course, I rode my horses a lot more than usual, but not the bike. :mrgreen:

My average speed is way down.

The bike had a service in the holiday (greasing of the BB and proper cleaning of the cassette etc - stuff I can't be bothered doing). The 'lovely' bike store broke my rear mudguard and would have let me walk out of there without telling me if I hadn't checked before leaving. They found the two broken pieces in the workshop - pretty obvious it was them who broke it when they find the pieces lying around. Once I actually discovered the breakage and it was obvious they'd done it they asked me what I wanted to do and I said refund me the price of the new mudguard from the service fee (I didn't bother with including shipping in the refund due to buying the Crud Roadracer mudguards from overseas). Which was done.

Because of the disappointing realisation that I've lost pretty much all my cycling fitness after just two weeks off I decided yesterday to ride to the post office, home and back to work in the lunch break (to pick up a package) and this morning I also did a 25 minute ride of the hills of Yarra Boulevard in Kew (I would have done the full Walmer St to Calder Freeway loop but I was slow getting out of the house so had to cut it down). My usual twice weekly early morning swim won't be happening for at least the next week or more as my usual pool has developed a serious malfunction. So instead of the usual swim I'm switching to an extra ride to try and wake up these cycling muscles.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:08 pm

poohkies wrote:
hamster i'm anywhere between 115 on a good week and 125, with around 120psi in my tyres i'm lucky to get 2000km's out of them
The combined weight of me plus bike plus assorted stuff would put the total weight in the region of 125 kg. With that weight my 23mm soft compound tannus aren't doing too bad. At 8,000 kms they are well worn but should last another 2,000.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Sunday was my first ride in 10 days, and I felt it after 65km in stormy/gusty conditions along Beach Rd.

First commute to work yesterday was only a little slower than usual.

But I came off my bike twice in 2 rides - yesterday, on the way home, I clipped a gutter riding up the Z on the Yarra north bank near Fed Sq. And again this morning, I got stuck in tram tracks at Kooyong. Luckily only a few scratches and bruises on me and bike. Gloves saved my hands again. Both were avoidable, but not helped by cycling-unfriendly infrastructure.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:10 pm

98octane wrote:But I came off my bike twice in 2 rides
hope your luck improves

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Hamster didn't even think to add backpack etc,

Well ride to work this arvo was crap, stupid wind! O wells only makes you stronger, just hope I have it on the way hope and not to shagged

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:37 pm

The wind was up on the ride home and a my bike helmet was soaking wet from yesterday's rain I used the old one but it has a peak and the wind was getting under it and trying to rip my head off.... haven't ridden with a peak for a while but adjusted my head position enough to survive the ride

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:20 pm

that wind was unpleasant

98octane

Postby 98octane » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:41 pm

jasonc wrote:
98octane wrote:But I came off my bike twice in 2 rides
hope your luck improves
Thanks, so do I. No issues on the way home.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:35 am

got screwed on the way home and had the head wind again, I wouldn't mind if it was 50 50, but both was man it killed me, legs are hurting so bad, o wells sleep time do it all again tomorrow

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 am

first coot-tha-mute for the year.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 am

Hmm, a couple of rides to the beach and back for a grand total of about 3km since Monday. Back to reality next week, and I suspect it will hurt...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 pm

TailWind wrote:Hmm, a couple of rides to the beach and back for a grand total of about 3km since Monday. Back to reality next week, and I suspect it will hurt...
TW...it doesnt have to hurt...just take the car or try public transport out for a change :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:07 pm

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:Hmm, a couple of rides to the beach and back for a grand total of about 3km since Monday. Back to reality next week, and I suspect it will hurt...
TW...it doesnt have to hurt...just take the car or try public transport out for a change :)
Haha, I'll happily endure any pain coming my way rather than explore those options :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:11 pm

over $11 a day for PT for me

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:15 pm

jasonc wrote:over $11 a day for PT for me
least you have public transport that runs more than twice a day :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 pm

I took the train on Monday...the trip home should take 41min, heaps of delays and after 2hrs I got off and had the wife pick me up...back to the 35min ride now

alexander

Postby alexander » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 am

Melbourne:

Beautiful morning, not a breath of wind, lots of guys/girls out riding today. I copped a lot of red lights which really put a dint in my time, but it did give me a chance to have a look around, catch my breath and enjoy the sunshine. The ride home will be interesting, should be about 30 degrees, so I'll take it a little easier.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:48 am

drizzle in Brisbane

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:45 am

It's been tough so far this week, Monday in was a real shock to the system, Tuesday home felt a bit better but Wednesday morning was horrific, stiff head wind, out of condition and weak legs left me shattered. Hopefully home tonight is a bit better, feel slightly recovered and the forecast is for a decent tail wind which will be well appreciated. I am surprised how much I lost from having nearly 3 weeks off the bike

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:29 pm

jasonc wrote:drizzle in Brisbane
Yeap. Got my first "wet arse" commute to work for the year out of the way this morning.

With the wet season upon us I think it's time to get the mudguard equiped audax bike back up and running.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Nice 40km commute to work in! Weather/ wind was a little nicer !

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Nice in Melbourne today, no howling gale in my face on the way home.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)