How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

rheicel

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 am

riding in the rain requires a bit of confidence/experience. I slow down maybe 5-10% and use both brakes braking earlier. taking corners slower and with nowhere near as much of a lean
Thanks. I have been riding on/off to work for almost a year now and slowly developing those skills. 75% of my 10 km commute daily is dedicated bike/pedestrian shared path. I need to spend more $ on the proper gear to be able to ride in the rain. Winter is coming and I'd love to continue cycling as this is the only form of exercise I'd love to do.

As much as I'd like to push hard to heat up quickly, I can't as there are lots of intersections along the way.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

rheicel wrote:I need to spend more $ on the proper gear to be able to ride in the rain.
meh. overshoes, full gloves, bag cover is the about the extent of my wet weather gear. put plastic bags over your socks (inside your shoes)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am

TailWind wrote:Grey and drizzly for the ride back yesterday afternoon, yet the paths were teeming with activity - witness traffic jam on the MYT at the Collingwood Childrens Farm:
This morning's commute into the Melbourne CBD was cool, but dry. Having watched too many werewolf movies, I had a massive surge of adrenaline when a large, shaggy dog suddenly leaped out of the darkness and raced along behind me as I rode along the Darebin Creek Trail. Dropped him eventually :shock:
Horses and hounds! Where's the hunt? :lol:
I always did wonder whether they did more than just potter around the paddocks of the CCF...

My arch nemesis was out and about this morning, although she was in disguise wearing a different jersey (white instead of the bright yellow and blue BNV top) and 3/4 black leggings instead of her usual short knicks. Didn't fool me! :mrgreen:
I caught her waiting at the first set of lights, we set off, her at a good clip, I passed her on the straight and flat section before Hoddle Street, although we both stopped at the lights so she caught up again. Then I managed to have enough of a lead from the flat after Hoddle Street that I held her off up the Albert Street hill (I could see her gaining in my rear view mirror). Pulled away from her again on the flat, she caught up at the Spring Street lights (darn traffic!!) and was behind me all the way into the city - she turns off a block after Spring Street.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am

Had my first commute on some schwalbe marathons this morning. They are 32, so are a lot bigger than the road bike tyres I had on before.

First impression is I like the ride. Much more comfy and the bike feels more sure footed. The downside is of course speed, but they weren't as bad as I was expecting. :)

Time will tell but if I get some good puncture free miles ill be a happy camper.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 am

jasonc wrote:
meh. overshoes, full gloves, bag cover is the about the extent of my wet weather gear. put plastic bags over your socks (inside your shoes)
I like the idea of plastic bag over the socks/inside the shoes, this used to work for me in the wet weather farm too.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 pm

rheicel wrote:...As much as I'd like to push hard to heat up quickly, I can't as there are lots of intersections along the way.
In the winter times, I usually pay more attention to stretching before I head out, in summer I cruise and warm up on the way, but in winter I find it a lot easier to do 5-10 mins of stretches to warm up the muscles before I leave.

And when you get to work, if your shoes are wet (but hopefully feet are dry from the bags), stuff some old newspaper in them, change this a couple of times during the day and they'll dry out a lot quicker.

Had a pretty good run into work this morning, bit chilly but i like that, the roads are very quiet with people away on school holidays (presumably). On the way home I had the ole turn left in front of the cyclist routine. Lady cruised up beside me, overtook until I was just on her rear bumper, indicated and then started the turn and hit the brakes and stopped just before she started to cross the bike lane. I saw this one coming so stopped quite easily, but in these situations I'm in two minds as to what to do. I usually stop and make a point to the driver that they're supposed to give way and then wait for them to continue through the bike lane as riding in front of a vehicle which is being driven by someone who isn't paying too much attention is a dangerous way to go (even if the law says they're to give way). But recently I'm wondering if that is encouraging bad behaviour, or encouraging them not to drive to the road rules (if they are even aware of them) because they get to pass in front of the cyclist anyway?

Dunno, in two minds regarding it. I still think that stopping and making a bit of a racket is the safer way to go, rather than placing myself in harms way.

Cheers.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 pm

In the winter times, I usually pay more attention to stretching before I head out, in summer I cruise and warm up on the way, but in winter I find it a lot easier to do 5-10 mins of stretches to warm up the muscles before I leave.
Good tip, I will keep this in mind.
Dunno, in two minds regarding it. I still think that stopping and making a bit of a racket is the safer way to go, rather than placing myself in harms way.
Yeah, we are always on the disadvantage, so better just to stop and give way to them, if you feel it is safer to do it - rather than claiming its your way but putting yourself in danger.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

left work after the rain. wet roads but got home dry enough

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 pm

jasonc wrote:left work after the rain. wet roads but got home dry enough
Went for a blast out to Nudgee Beach. Looked epic on the ride back. Blue sky and blinding sunshine to the north. Darkeness towards the city :P

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:39 am

rheicel wrote:
Good tip, I will keep this in mind.
Above routine didn't seem like a full recipe, so in case people consider stretching cold before a cold commuter ride, it was not generally what I've observed across sports, and doesn't appear to be advised for cycling either.
http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... sts-26074/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When should I stretch? Before a ride is not the best time to stretch: your muscles are cold, making them more susceptible to injury, plus static stretching (in which you hold a fixed position) can reduce power output for up to an hour. Instead, include some ‘dynamic’ stretching in your warm-up to prepare your muscles. “Take your joints through movements that replicate the range of motion you’ll be using,” advises Anderson. Bogue recommends the ‘Sun Salutation’ series from yoga. “It warms up the muscles as well as stretching and strengthening them,” she says. After a ride – or as a stand-alone session after warming up – use static stretching to help restore muscles to their ‘resting’ length, or to develop length in shortened muscles.

I would like to see some of the on-bike stretches recorded worldwide like planking feats, handy for being on a trainer.
http://library.thinkquest.org/10615/fra ... rm-up.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am

Another wet one in Sydney, not nearly as bad as yesterday. Otherwise pretty pleasant.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Ride back via my old haunt in Eaglemont. Overcast and cool, but dry.
This morning was chilly: 7C at around 4:15am, so first day this year in full longs from fingertips to toes. Warmed up a bit closer to the Melbourne CBD, so had to turn down the power a little to avoid overheating. Good ride otherwise.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am

All I will say about this mornings ride....wet and cold

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am

Cloud free and cold this morning riding in from Ashwood to St Kilda Rd. Nearly cleaned up by an unwatching motorist at the roundabout intersection of Anderson St and Domain Rd at South Yarra. Apart from that it was a good ride :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am

riverloop with Comedian. great weather

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 am

eldavo wrote:Above routine didn't seem like a full recipe, so in case people consider stretching cold before a cold commuter ride, it was not generally what I've observed across sports, and doesn't appear to be advised for cycling either..
Apologies, should've provided more details, when I say I do a stretching routine before I head out, I'm warmed up before I do stretch. I'm running around in the morning (in and out to the shed, around the house depending on how early I get up), so my muscles aren't like they are if I just got out of bed, had a shower, breakfast and then headed out. I like stretching because it's 5-10 minutes to relax before heading out, everyone has different mileage with stretching. My routine is probably closer to 10 minutes because I make sure my ankles etc are warmed up before I do anything, especially in the winter. Some people don't like some stretches and prefer others, that's why I don't usually provide too much detail on what I do, because everyone likes a slightly different routine and some people don't stretch at all. I agree though, you should never stretch when your muscles are cold, you wouldn't rev the guts out of a cold engine (or you shouldn't), so don't do it to your body.

Great ride in this morning, sun was out and there was very little traffic about so I had a quick and pretty much event free ride in this morning apart from one driver who lost track of me when I merged into traffic (the bike lane ends around 40m before the roundabout) and he wanted to park in front of the general store, so stopped in the middle of the road and started gesturing with his hands and shaking his head. Meh, I was following the road rules, the bike lane had ended and I had merged with the traffic and wasn't going to pass people by riding in angle parking area.
Lukeyboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:left work after the rain. wet roads but got home dry enough
Went for a blast out to Nudgee Beach. Looked epic on the ride back. Blue sky and blinding sunshine to the north. Darkeness towards the city :P
That's one angry looking sky! Awesome shot though 8)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 am

Lovely chill this morning. Full length tights and gloves on. Probably should have put on a long sleeve top or another under layer instead of the usual short sleeve jersey and vest, but I warm up in the arms and core quite quickly so it wasn't much of an issue. As long as the fingers aren't cold all is good.

A male cyclist at a set of lights said to me that the placement of my GoPro was an interesting one (had it on the chest mount on my chest under my backpack strap and pink horn). I told him about the 'wonderful' GoPro handlebar mount snapping and using the Chesty until I got a replacement mount. I didn't think it was that weird a placement. :P

I stretch before riding only because I've already stretched and done either a run or a swim. I haven't found that cold stretching prior to running affects my run. If I'm a bit lazy and don't stretch I will usually get tightness in my calves somewhere during the run so I make sure to stretch so that doesn't happen.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 am

I doesn't get much better than yesterday afternoon in Melbourne. 22C, little wind, sunshine for the ride back along MYT, Banyule trails etc. Just brilliant.
This morning was cool, just borderline for wearing shorts and short finger gloves. Good ride into the CBD.
So the detour for the M80 (Ring Road) path along Tasman Drive is going to have its own detour imposed, while some work carries on at the M80 bridge over Tasman drive from Sunday. Great. This puts be into major traffic on the 80km/h section on Plenty Road in Bundoora. Will have to study the map to figure out a creative way around this.
Happy Friday! :D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

Only my second day of commute to work this week. Great weather and I was surprised I was able to do it on 18degC, lol. I am 5kph faster than my average commute speed today.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:22 am

left after the rain. group ride cancelled. straight to work. wet roads.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 am

beautiful ride to work, 26 degrees, first time in nearly 3 weeks! no rain no clouds, down side all the flying ants :(

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 am

poohkies wrote:beautiful ride to work, 26 degrees, first time in nearly 3 weeks! no rain no clouds, down side all the flying ants :(

looks like you got your mojo back...well done

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 am

As seems usual these days an uneventful commute. Not so good for the kid on his way to school with his scooter - tripped over his own feet while crossing the road & landed face first on the tarmac. Fortunately the council truck turning the corner saw me next to him & didn't run over him & the kid insisted he was not injured & dusted himself off.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 am

Lovely morning. I put the under layer on and it worked a treat.

In the only two block section of my commute where there isn't a bike lane (well, there is another section of my commute where there is no bike lane but the City of Yarra have put bike 'sharrows' on the road indicating the road is shared with bikes so I don't have as many problems there), I had a red car come up close behind me (I engaged a few wobbles and went further to the right of the lane to make sure there was no buzzing incident) and he gave me a 'polite' honk to say 'get out of my way'. I gestured my non-compliance with this request (no, there was no middle finger, just a gesture to say to him 'you've got another lane on the right, go around me'). So, strangely enough it was extremely easy for him to overtake correctly in the right hand lane after my sweeping gesture. Charming impatient drivers. Blah.

Then at the end of my commute I had a few recalcitrant pedestrians walking along the laneway (there is a dedicated footpath beside it, but walking on the correct footpath entails using your muscles to go down/up stairs... Just too hard to do for most of the pedestrians) and two quite large blokes were walking smack bang in the middle of the road towards me. Now, if I was a car they would have moved to the side of the road, but because I was a cyclist these people just didn't move and kept walking towards me. I held my line and they did split apart for me to pass, but seriously. It is a road, not a footpath.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 am

Summernight wrote:Then at the end of my commute I had a few recalcitrant pedestrians walking along the laneway (there is a dedicated footpath beside it, but walking on the correct footpath entails using your muscles to go down/up stairs... Just too hard to do for most of the pedestrians) and two quite large blokes were walking smack bang in the middle of the road towards me. Now, if I was a car they would have moved to the side of the road, but because I was a cyclist these people just didn't move and kept walking towards me. I held my line and they did split apart for me to pass, but seriously. It is a road, not a footpath.
I've complained to my local neighbourhood watch about the walkers/runners around our area. Here's the QLD law:
238 Pedestrians travelling along a road (except in or on a
wheeled recreational device or toy)
(1) A pedestrian must not travel along a road if there is a footpath
or nature strip adjacent to the road, unless it is impracticable
to travel on the footpath or nature strip.
Now the roads I've complained about have footpaths on both sides. runners/walkers use the "bike lane". footpath is vacant :roll: