How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Brownster » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

Awesome commute this morning utilising the M2 from Baulko to Pennant Hills Rd. Past a Motorcycle copper parked on the side of the M2.
Def not as cold as yesterday morning. Looking forward to the 2;15pm commute home this arvo...
Brownster

by BNA » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 am

BNA

Postby jasonc » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 am

JasonC down!

2kms from home I went over a thick stick that I hadn't seen (it was dark). Don't know how I came down but I have grazes on my left leg, left arm (both quite deep), both my shoulder blades, and a small one on my left hip. Went home had a shower and scrubbed them as much as I could then went to the doctors to get it bandaged up.
Feeling a bit sore and sorry. I did ride the bike home so it is in a working state but will give it a once-over

EDIT: speed would have been 35-40km/h
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am

jasonc wrote:JasonC down!

Sorry to hear, that sucks! Always my fear as well riding paths in wooded areas in the dark. Hope that you heal up quickly and that the bike is ok!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby rheicel » Tue May 07, 2013 11:10 am

Get well soon!
rheicel

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 am

not good at all, impressive speed to come a gutser on tho...body must be sore today

some positives tho 1) no bad body damage 2) bike still rideable 3) I might have a chance at catching you on the hill climbing chart

but the most important question...did you ride today or were you soft :mrgreen:
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am

gretaboy wrote:but the most important question...did you ride today or were you soft :mrgreen:

doctor said "no riding" :(
back there tomorrow. we'll see what she says tomorrow....

btw - endomondo says just over 42km/h :shock:
jasonc

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 am

jasonc wrote:
btw - endomondo says just over 42km/h :shock:

well as they say, if your going to do it, you might as well do it to the best of your ability

hope it heals quickly for you and that the bed sheets dont stick to the gravel rash too badly :)
gretaboy

Postby Lizzy » Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Owies JasonC, hope you haven't come up too bad this morning :(

Slow trip in on the rain rig today, this should ensure the approaching storm front holds off until I get home :P Batten down the hatches Perth [/yarrr]
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Summernight » Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Get better soon JasonC!

I have been AWOL (well, I guess there's no leave here so that should probably be AWON with the N being Nothing or Normal or whatever). Monday I woke up ready for my early morning run, only to feel like carp (yes, the fish) and like I was about to puke. So Monday was spent in bed catching up on all my TV shows that I don't usually have time to watch (including the Kardashian soapies :oops: ).

I knew I was coming down with something on Sunday night as the feeling hit then, but I didn't realise how bad until I got up on Monday and went 'nup, back to bed'. This morning I still felt icky, but not "I'm about to vomit right now" icky. Managed to go do my early morning swim - and promptly got stuck in very bad rainy car traffic on the way back home. I'm seriously thinking about riding the 4ish ks to swimming and riding home as it'd probably be faster than waiting in the car traffic queues as I currently do. Even when it is raining...

And since I was sick and didn't post this over the weekend:

Friday's commute home was a struggle - not because of the wind, no that was fine, but because I over-indulged in birthday cake (not mine) for one of the staff in the office. As well as cake I also over-indulged in some Orthodox Easter treats that another staff member had brought in. I ate all these things prior to lunchtime and didn't eat anything else after that, but my body does not like overindulgence and punishes me on the ride home, even if it has been 4-5 hours since I have eaten.

And no, the nausea on the Monday wasn't because of the Friday. :P And because I was sick on Monday I missed out on another staff member's birthday cake. Disappointment.

This morning's (Tuesday) commute was fine, except the GoPro didn't want to turn on. I think that's because I used it on Saturday for a ride along the Yarra Trail/CBD when ferrying my mother home on her bike from the LBS (well, it is clearly my LBS, not hers. :P).
I managed to get her to do just shy of 14ks as her starting 'intro to the 50km ATB' and then I rode the 5k home on the roads in a fraction of the amount of time it took us to do the 14ks. She was really hesitant on roads and for the km or so on road we had to do to get her home she wasn't very good. Oh, and there was a bomb scare on the corner of Bourke St and Swanston St just as we're hitting the Collins St/Swanston St intersection coming from Flinders. I'm used to Collins St due to my commute so took her down that way, but I'm glad I didn't listen to her and go further as we would have been turned straight around by the cops. One of her comments at one of the intersections (Queens and Collins for those playing at home) was "Why don't we wait for the cars to all go past before we go". Um, it's an intersection in the middle of the CBD. Cars don't ever stop going past, Mum.

I've realised from this interesting experience that I seem to have turned into a seasoned road commuter as I was miles more confident using the roads that she was.

There were lots of bicycle police and pedestrian police near the Old Treasury this morning - three bicycle cops just sitting on their bikes near the MacArthur St tram stop presumably waiting to nab people who failed to stop for the tram (possibly also for helmet infringements etc). Then there was another ped policeman on the corner of Collins and Spring St (possibly to stop red light runners or j-walking peds). And then at the next intersection was another 2 ped cops at the corner of Collins and Exhibition (?) presumably also nabbing red light runners/walkers. Blitz day today, methinks.
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Summernight wrote: Blitz day today, methinks.

Hmm, may have to stay off the tram tracks on Flinders then on my way to Batman this arvo
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Comedian » Tue May 07, 2013 2:33 pm

2kms from home I went over a thick stick that I hadn't seen (it was dark). Don't know how I came down but I have grazes on my left leg, left arm (both quite deep), both my shoulder blades, and a small one on my left hip. Went home had a shower and scrubbed them as much as I could then went to the doctors to get it bandaged up.
Feeling a bit sore and sorry. I did ride the bike home so it is in a working state but will give it a once-over

EDIT: speed would have been 35-40km/h

Very bad news mate. Glad you are ok.

If there is a lesson from this might I suggest it be that if one wishes to travel at speed in the dark you need good lights!

Personally I arrived at this realization after hitting a small pothole at 40 one morning. :(
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby jasonc » Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Comedian wrote:If there is a lesson from this might I suggest it be that if one wishes to travel at speed in the dark you need good lights!

Personally I arrived at this realization after hitting a small pothole at 40 one morning. :(

Thanks for the thoughts.
I had my light on low power. The only thing I can think is that I was distracted.
jasonc

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Got a puncture the second I rolled through the door at work today, misery. Luckily I had two spare tubes so I fixed it during the day (snapped a tyre lever, the tyres are amazingly tight on the rims) and rode home without issue.
AndrewBurns

Postby VRE » Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 pm

A nice, colourful Autumn commute home today, with perfect temperatures again :D .

Just west of the Doncaster Rd tunnel on the Koonung Creek Trail:

Then on the same trail between Surrey and Springvale Rds:

And it's just as good at home in Ringwood North:
Note the complete absence of motor vehicle on the driveway :lol: .
VRE

Postby TigerFilly » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Pretty trees!
I had a course for work, so it was a bit further to ride than usual, 28km round trip in the end - a little bit longer due to a little detour because google maps misled me about a pedestrian bridge which turned out to be shut. The detour meant I arrived with 5 mins to spare instead of the 20 mins I'd planned for getting changed. Since we'd been warned at the first day of the course last month that if we were late we would be shut out, I didn't want to chance it so just sat there looking scruffy until the tea break :D
TigerFilly

Postby TailWind » Wed May 08, 2013 8:00 am

TailWind wrote:

Hmm, may have to stay off the tram tracks on Flinders then on my way to Batman this arvo

With Summernight's heads-up still fresh in my mind on the way home yesterday, I wasn't going to ride along the tram tracks with our friends and helpers right there, despite the backed up traffic:

Hmm, to lane-split past the cops or not?

Oh well, why not?
All good, despite me heading across the tracks at a right angle further up to get to the path going down Batman.

Rest of the commute was great, perfect conditions, lovely afternoon, rode via MYT, Banyule etc.

Uneventful ride into the Melb CBD this morning, cool, but dry and clear. Looks like another beautiful autumn day here!
TailWind

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 am

Not as cold as other mornings this morning, but did have to contend with pea soup fog. Given some stretches I have less than a quarter of a metre to work with on 80/90 k roads I ran two flashing tail lights and just hoped/prayed that all drivers were awake this morning. Once the fog lifted it was a beautiful morning. Am feeling tired but not overly sore, speed was down a fair bit this morning
gretaboy

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 08, 2013 10:54 am

Thought I would have an easy commute, just rolling along , no apparent effort, just an easy happy day. I was a bit shocked when I got to work & discovered my overall time was one of the quickest I have done. Perceived effort is apparently misleading.
find_bruce

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am

Slipped in nicely between rain fronts, nor'wester at my back, only a light hose-down about 1km out from work. Bike cage and showers empty. W!nn3r :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby clackers » Wed May 08, 2013 11:13 am

Tested the work done so far on my wife's e-bike conversion. 12.5km of hills and flats used up 2 amp-hours of the 12 Ah battery. With the pedalec it still feels like a bike rather than a scooter, albeit a tandem. :smile:
clackers

Postby Summernight » Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 pm

TailWind wrote:
TailWind wrote:

With Summernight's heads-up still fresh in my mind on the way home yesterday, I wasn't going to ride along the tram tracks with our friends and helpers right there, despite the backed up traffic:

[image]

Hmm, to lane-split past the cops or not?
[image]
Oh well, why not?
[image]
All good, despite me heading across the tracks at a right angle further up to get to the path going down Batman.

Rest of the commute was great, perfect conditions, lovely afternoon, rode via MYT, Banyule etc.

Uneventful ride into the Melb CBD this morning, cool, but dry and clear. Looks like another beautiful autumn day here!

I lane split to get to the bike box in front of the ped cops yesterday. I had the exact same thought before doing it then thought "I'll argue my way out of it if they pick me up". No problems. I just made sure that I didn't pre-empt green lights (not that I try to do that anyway).

I have been informed that apparently it isn't just blitz day - it is Victoria Police blitz week:

http://www.who.int/roadsafety/week/2013/en/index.html

and the VP's twitter page: https://twitter.com/VictoriaPolice/stat ... 1821907970

(Thanks to Baudman on the BV forums)

No police on my route in this morning - they must have chosen another section.

GoPro was acting strange on the way home yesterday - I think it is related to the freezing that happens when I plug it into the computer. It looked like it was recording at 1/4 of the normal speed and the controls weren't responsive. But reviewing the footage I took during its spazz period last night it is fine. Weird.

I had a car come up behind me in my rear view mirror this morning and I realised he was probably about to close pass me (he was getting closer and closer). So I moved further right in the lane which promptly stopped his close pass manoeuvre before he even got up the thinking to go through with it.
I was also passing another cyclist who was hugging the parked cars on the left at the time. Not very nice of the car. He then honked me just a short while later when I didn't move back left. No way was I going near parked cars to let him buzz me when he could have changed to the right hand lane to properly overtake.

Gods I love my rearview mirror. Thank you to the people on here who recommended it. It is great and really helps with my confidence regarding what vehicles behind me are doing.

So the car then stuck behind me for the further 50metres until the Albert St separated bike lane started when I went left into the bike lane. No abuse as he went past (windows were up too) so that was a nice change.

Yesterday morning I had a cyclist say he really liked my bike. Which was good to hear as I've been getting inklings of upgrade-itis - I really liked a Merida Juliet (lovely shades of purple, white and black) in a Richmond LBS - and they seem to have upgraded the parts as it was completely 105 when another older Merida Juliet that I've seen in the office basement is Sora (no thanks).

So maybe I can bash my upgrade-itis back down into the bottom of my mind until another time thanks to the compliment on my bike by that random cyclist. :lol:

EDIT: Oh and I felt carpy again (those darn fish!!! :P ) prior to the ride home last night thanks to this bug I've got - but once on the bike it was fine (provided no bad smells reached me). I know if I'd taken the public transport I would have been struggling to contain the nausea when stuck between all the other PT commuters and the swaying and lack of exercise.
Last edited by Summernight on Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summernight

Postby eldavo » Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Lizzy wrote:Slipped in nicely between rain fronts, nor'wester at my back, only a light hose-down about 1km out from work. Bike cage and showers empty. W!nn3r :mrgreen:

Similar, hooked back at narrows to get the northerly vector in the face and felt sorrow for the south of river commuters.
I waited to catch the fine wave behind a passing front and got a dry commute in, rained after I got to my desk. I stopped for a couple minutes at the end to catch this rainbow footage. Was more impressive at the time at the end of the ride with beaming sunshine lifting the levels of happy brain chemicals. My stereo shuffle happened on a couple of favourite songs too... birds singing, etc. ;)

PS: oh yeah it was first ride on winter bike setup in wet weather... made it even lovelier. I call it the Wintergreen Wilier Rossano with a playful Pletscher commuter kit (tribute to captions of male model fashion in back of a magazine).
eldavo

Postby uglybob » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 pm

how did you people in perth not get drenched the entire way in? :?

i rode vic park to wembley, and pretty sure it was raining for every second.
uglybob

Postby Rex » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 pm

There was no avoiding getting drenched, but it's no big deal.
I assume we all shower after our commute correct?

More importantly it wasn't cold enough to worry about getting sick.
Rex

Postby eldavo » Wed May 08, 2013 4:51 pm

uglybob wrote:how did you people in perth not get drenched the entire way in? :?
i rode vic park to wembley, and pretty sure it was raining for every second.

Watching this, and have the "Aussie Weather" app on the phone, along with Latest Observations checks, gets me by to land only a handful of hour long storm commutes over the year:
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR702.loop.shtml#skip
Easier to achieve when riding in direction of the fronts, and the wind speed was is slow enough for the next front to not overtake you.
So NNW when heading coastal NOR to CBD is similar path, miss the front then set off and get to work before the next front catches you.

So you were heading into it in the morning, and I will get to share the experience on the way home when you should have a strong wind at your back =D
eldavo

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting