How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 pm

rheicel wrote:First commute of the week with my new Sony Action Cam, :D

What's with the zebra crossings leading to nowhere???

I like your mention of waiting for the green bike light (ie. not going on the red) and then going on the second part of the crossing that still had a red bike light (a silly set-up of the crossing, if you ask me). :P

Welcome to the video club. :)

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Coming home was good, I got home at around the same time as when I catch the bus from school :)

However there was a bit of an incident. Anyone know of the applicable road rules regarding drivers exiting a place/entering the road through a driveway which crosses a PSP? I did a google search but couldn't really find anything. I was riding on a PSP and there is driveway coming out from a petrol station which crosses the path. A driver comes out half way and stops (note: I was already about 10 metres from the driveway). I thought she had seen me but when I am in front of the car she goes forward again and nearly crashes into me :O . My initial reaction (in my head) was Say What, at least look when you are exiting a petrol station on a driveway that crosses a PSP. Was the driver wrong here or was I meant to give way to the car? The annoying thing is that I think the driver was either just inching forward or trying to barge herself onto the road, there was a line of cars going back and she couldn't have entered the road anyway. For those that are familiar with the Epping road PSP, this happened at the petrol station a bit after lane cove interchange.

On the plus side, it is fun finding someone on your commute who is around the same pace/ability as you. The majority of people are either much faster than me (I'm slow) or much slower than me. But today I "rode" with a guy for around 10km. He was probably double my weight or more (I weigh 52 Kg) so would descend really fast but then I would climb much faster than him. We always ended up "regrouping" at the traffic lights. He was on a Giant TCR.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Summernight wrote: I like your mention of waiting for the green bike light (ie. not going on the red) and then going on the second part of the crossing that still had a red bike light (a silly set-up of the crossing, if you ask me). :P

Welcome to the video club. :)
Thanks Summernight. I have been dreaming for a while to have a video cam to show my kids the beauty of weekend ride.
:lol: on that third set of bike/pedestrian light in that intersection. The way those lights were programmed is a pain in the $$$. If there is no one waiting in the two middle part, those lights will remain red too (meaning, you have to cross 3 sets of red lights, and based on my timer, its 4 -6 minutes of waiting (longer than my total commuting time)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 pm

InTheWoods brought in a wire beaded tyre he had ordered for me. Solution: fold the damn thing and stuff it in my bag :D
popped back to shape instantly

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Is it just me or does the pavement look like its breathing, esp. in the opening car park?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Cold and dark, then cold and dark.
But dry, and no wind.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 am

coot-tha commute. first in a while. still idiots without lights
stopped to give a guy a tube at roma st parklands this morning.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:07 am

And what's all that cycling infrastructure? Can you tell me where to get some?

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:03 am

Was fast this morning as I had to get in for a morning meeting...

..which I subsequently found out is next Wednesday.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am

__PG__ wrote:Was fast this morning as I had to get in for a morning meeting...

..which I subsequently found out is next Wednesday.
:lol: Doesn't that just stink. You'll have to do it all again next Wednesday. :P

Nice commute this morning although a bit windy. Went for the morning run this morning prior to the ride. Probably not smart with the possibly chipped or bruised tailbone. It hurt for the first few minutes. Then I ignored it. Currently aching a bit now after the run and ride.

Still muddy on the MYT near the Children's Farm (between the farm and the Gipps St bridge) although looks like it has been cleaned up a little. I didn't realise there had been a landslide as well. :shock:

Had about 3-4 people fail to give way to a left indicating, left turning vehicle on the corner of Spring and Macarthur Sts, near Treasury (CBD Melbourne). The driver moved forward and then was tentative as cyclists kept undertaking him so the cyclists took advantage even though the road rules say you cannot undertake a left turning vehicle. Then I stop behind the vehicle and wave for the driver to turn (as the cars behind were getting impatient and honking as he was blocking the road in his misguided but appreciated belief that he had to give way to the cyclists) and a cyclist comes burning past me and undertakes the same driver. :roll: The driver then is able to go and all is good.

I know the roads are designed badly and that the bicycle lane stops just at the intersection and it would be better if the bicycle lane went all the way through the intersection so vehicles did have to give-way to cyclists, but if everyone knew the current rules about this, the traffic would have flowed much better because people (drivers and cyclists) would have slotted into place and all would have been dandy.

If you are that cyclist that overtook me and undertook the car (although I'm sure he won't be on here), please review your knowledge of the road rules and your self-preservation skills as I was clearly indicating to the driver to go and you disregarded that at some risk to you.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am

bychosis wrote: Is it just me or does the pavement look like its breathing, esp. in the opening car park?
I just noticed that one too. Its is probably caused by the concave lens of the camera or possibly the YouTube image stabilisation.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 am

Dan wrote: And what's all that cycling infrastructure? Can you tell me where to get some?
You should move to Sydney Dan. :mrgreen:

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 am

Philipthelam wrote:Coming home was good, I got home at around the same time as when I catch the bus from school :)

However there was a bit of an incident. Anyone know of the applicable road rules regarding drivers exiting a place/entering the road through a driveway which crosses a PSP? I did a google search but couldn't really find anything. I was riding on a PSP and there is driveway coming out from a petrol station which crosses the path. A driver comes out half way and stops (note: I was already about 10 metres from the driveway). I thought she had seen me but when I am in front of the car she goes forward again and nearly crashes into me :O . My initial reaction (in my head) was WT?, at least look when you are exiting a petrol station on a driveway that crosses a PSP. Was the driver wrong here or was I meant to give way to the car? The annoying thing is that I think the driver was either just inching forward or trying to barge herself onto the road, there was a line of cars going back and she couldn't have entered the road anyway. For those that are familiar with the Epping road PSP, this happened at the petrol station a bit after lane cove interchange.

On the plus side, it is fun finding someone on your commute who is around the same pace/ability as you. The majority of people are either much faster than me (I'm slow) or much slower than me. But today I "rode" with a guy for around 10km. He was probably double my weight or more (I weigh 52 Kg) so would descend really fast but then I would climb much faster than him. We always ended up "regrouping" at the traffic lights. He was on a Giant TCR.
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragv ... -div.3+0+N

Division 3 Entering or leaving road related areas and adjacent land

74 Giving way when entering a road from a road related area or adjacent land

(1) A driver entering a road from a road related area, or adjacent land, without traffic lights or a stop sign, stop line, give way sign or give way line must give way to:
(a) any vehicle travelling on the road or turning into the road (except a vehicle turning right into the road from a road related area or adjacent land), and
(b) any pedestrian on the road, and
(c) any vehicle or pedestrian on any road related area that the driver crosses to enter the road, and
(d) for a driver entering the road from a road related area:
(i) any pedestrian on the road related area, and
(ii) any other vehicle ahead of the driver’s vehicle or approaching from the left or right.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

The driver must giveway when crossing shared or footpaths to enter the road.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:59 am

Good ride in this mornings! loved it was great, went the long way to howard springs path! had a wicked ride in! hopefully this is a turn in my riding, backs getting better an better every day, every passed a bloke who normally passes me! felt good

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:52 am

Slow and lethargic yet again this morning....first 30 minutes of the ride I had trouble keeping my eyes open, could have quite easily gone to sleep on the bike.

Had a strange sight this morning, on a quiet country road there was a big swan, I think it was a swan and if not it was a massive duck, sitting in the middle of the road. It didnt move until I was quite close then it seemed to be slow in taking off, like he had just had a large feed and wanted to sit and not move for a few hours. (have had that feeling a few times myself)

Apart from a P plated ute skimming me it was an uneventful ride.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 am

Hmm, meant to post an update yesterday, but forgot to press Submit after the Preview. Was a little preoccupied with the impending Certification exam scheduled for yesterday afternoon in St Kilda Rd. Lots of bike traffic heading out of the CBD down St Kilda Rd at 8:30am.
After sitting (and passing :D ) the cert, I rode back along St Kilda Rd into the CBD, changed into my bike gear and headed off home. Didn't check out the trails as it was getting late, and battled a strong northerly for all of the way.
Tired this morning, prob due to all of the stress of the past 3 days, still avoided the trails, but will check them out this afternoon while there is still daylight - hopefully they've been mended and cleaned up since Monday...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 am

I forgot to post one. About 2 months ago, the shower curtains went missing. I figured it was part of the way of them saying "don't use these showers anymore"
Anyway, this week, they're back!
A win for ignorance

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 am

Second time this week been caught by rain within 3km of arriving at work. Didn't dampen my spirit though, finally feel I am coming good after the 2 week sniffles/head cold. Average times coming up and more importantly feeling stronger. Also got my new winter gear last night from c r c, booties, some water/wind proof campag gloves and thermals. Wore the gloves and thermals and am very delighted in them although 12 degrees not really enough to stress them.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:51 am

Lovely morning in Sydney, quite warm too. Weekly coffee commute with friends, great way to start the day.

Last night was quite funny, I booed some QLD'rs in their maroon gear, all good fun

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 am

Glad to hear the cold is getting better, CXCommuter!

I got the joy of joys on the commutes - headwind last night going home AND headwind this morning going to work. And it was quite a frigid wind. It doesn't make me feel uplifted riding the bike when I feel like I'm pushing and the speedo tells me I'm going 8 kph less than what I want to be going at. :| Although I do get a big kick when I start passing all the cars stuck in peak hour traffic, even if I am struggling up the hill as I do so. :)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Summernight wrote:Glad to hear the cold is getting better, CXCommuter!

I got the joy of joys on the commutes - headwind last night going home AND headwind this morning going to work. And it was quite a frigid wind. It doesn't make me feel uplifted riding the bike when I feel like I'm pushing and the speedo tells me I'm going 8 kph less than what I want to be going at. :| Although I do get a big kick when I start passing all the cars stuck in peak hour traffic, even if I am struggling up the hill as I do so. :)
Hope the cold and the tailbone is improving also Summernight, winter over here brings out the westerlies which hurt you whether you are heading north or south. Thankfully they haven't hit full force yet. I cannot remember they last time I had a really good tailwind either :?

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Cairns, and the south easterly trades have settled in at moderate velocity for this week, and into next week. For me, that's a tail wind to work (while the wind is at its lightest), and a battle home into a fairly fresh trade wind. Also need to dodge a few light showers when it's like this. Still, not bad for winter, with mornings averaging around 20 - 22 degrees, prior to sunrise.

Big Triathlon this weekend, so plenty of riders getting about on training rides during the day. And, also great to see the huge 1.5 meter signs on the back of local Down Under tour buses.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

oxonabike wrote:Big Triathlon this weekend, so plenty of riders getting about on training rides during the day. And, also great to see the huge 1.5 meter signs on the back of local Down Under tour buses.
my cousin is about to fly up to do the ironman. what's the weather looking like (better off asking a local than reading the BOM/TV)??

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
oxonabike wrote:Big Triathlon this weekend, so plenty of riders getting about on training rides during the day. And, also great to see the huge 1.5 meter signs on the back of local Down Under tour buses.
my cousin is about to fly up to do the ironman. what's the weather looking like (better off asking a local than reading the BOM/TV)??
Not the best really. 21 - 27 degrees all long weekend, South to South Easters around 16 knots, and showers (mostly drizzle). Been like that since Tuesday here.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Great afternoon ride. I took the long way home, ended up with 66km on the clock vs 5.5km, :D
Took this photo with just 5km to go while having a banana break...
Last edited by rheicel on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.