How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:16 am

Ride home yesterday was great...wind was behind me and the sun was shining, even though it was quite cool out. Met the wife at her gym and we rode home together for the last 15 k's.

My last couple of posts I have had a little whinge about truckers and their use of their horns...well I had one trucker this morning who restored my faith in them. Was coming up to a roundabout, and the shoulder, of course, just ends prior to the roundabout. When I looked back I could see this truck coming up, making those split second decisions whether to commit myself or let him go by....I did speed up to try and beat him but realised I couldnt. He actually went past me but then I realised that he had slowed right down to allow me to get in front of him. I gave him the thumbs up as a result and once we both got through the roundabout and he was passing I gave him a big wave.

This driver could have easily cut me off and continued on... but the fact that he gave me right of way was much appreciated. Truck had HTS Hornsby Transport on the side and I have the rego, so am going to contact the truck company and give this driver some kudos, he deserves it.

And I picked up a new strava KOM..despite feeling knackered. Weather was just brilliant for riding here too.

All up a great morning..now for the downer side of things...work :(
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

by BNA » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am

BNA
 

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am

riverloop commute for me. been riding with this group now for 12 months. happy anniversary. I haven't killed anyone, and they haven't killed me.

(9000kms for the year too)
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Tornado » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:36 am

Cockburn Station to Forrestfield for me today. Not a drop of rain and a gentle headwind. Was great to get out and turn the wheels over. The new GP4000S tyre feels good too.
Image

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3
User avatar
Tornado
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:25 am
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:53 am

TailWind wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
jasonc wrote:don't worry TW. I'm with you. if you hit that dog, not only would you have killed it, you would have most likely been injured in some way.
His "bad way" would have got worse.


+1, good on you for giving him an earful, the sign doesn't say 'bikes only, unless you are having a bad day'.

Just a pity one can't stand up for what's right without being assaulted these days...


Terrible behaviour by both the pedestrian and the other cyclist. Whenever I have a confrontation like that I always get frustrated, angry and depressed afterwards because I'm also not good with confrontation and the carpy situation I found myself in just gets to me.

Sometimes you just cannot do anything right. I keep on riding and then have a few good days and I know that riding the bike makes me feel better than I would if I took PT. Not everyone in this world is like those two.

* * * *

I felt fantastic on the ride this morning. I had Friday legs on Tuesday but now have Monday legs on Thursday.

It felt absolutely great to be riding. Cars behaved (I don't mind if they MGIF if it is a green light and they do a safe overtake and end up going above the speed limit so don't hold me up anyway :P ).

Wish all days could be like this.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lammy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 am

[quote=I felt fantastic on the ride this morning. I had Friday legs on Tuesday but now have Monday legs on Thursday.[/quote]
I'm glad somebody else has monday to friday legs. Its Thursday today and I got Tuesday legs :D
Image
lammy
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 am

1st full day of the second Perth station shutdown- lots of cyclists around and ended up in some long distance CCR, was a bit like a crit with breakaways and the pack disintegrating and regrouping (often with newcomers scooped up). Held my own and got the inside line at Osborne Park and held them off just aside from a guy on an E-Bike who sat back watching me destroy myself then cruised past with a coupe of hundred metres to go.

BTW if you are on this forum I want to say hi (I was the guy you caught up to on Wednesday who turned off at Thomas Street) and you rode with me for quite distance and then I told you to ride past me just before Leederville Station. Also seen you around before..
Image
User avatar
CXCommuter
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 am
Location: Perth WA

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Big_Red » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Commuting into town taking the leftmost of the 2 lanes along Wynnum Rd going past the Bulimba cemetery and stopped at the Riding Rd/Wynnum Rd lights and have some numpty honk their horn from behind me. Thinking to myself they are kidding if they expect me to get out of the way while stopped at the lights. As the lights turn green they give an extended blast of the horn until I get to the Bennetts Rd turnoff then do a close shave punishment pass on me heading up to the Wynnum Rd/Riding Rd lights. Had a karmic intervention about 500m past the lights though as a cop has pulled them over and has the book out. Cheerfully wave and blow the horny driver a big kiss as I roll on by. Laughed the rest of the way to town. :D
User avatar
Big_Red
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Brisbane East

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Big_Red wrote:Commuting into town taking the leftmost of the 2 lanes along Wynnum Rd going past the Bulimba cemetery and stopped at the Riding Rd/Wynnum Rd lights and have some numpty honk their horn from behind me. Thinking to myself they are kidding if they expect me to get out of the way while stopped at the lights. As the lights turn green they give an extended blast of the horn until I get to the Bennetts Rd turnoff then do a close shave punishment pass on me heading up to the Wynnum Rd/Riding Rd lights. Had a karmic intervention about 500m past the lights though as a cop has pulled them over and has the book out. Cheerfully wave and blow the horny driver a big kiss as I roll on by. Laughed the rest of the way to town. :D


I would have stopped and explained to the cop what the driver had done to you just prior
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Big_Red » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:25 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Commuting into town taking the leftmost of the 2 lanes along Wynnum Rd going past the Bulimba cemetery and stopped at the Riding Rd/Wynnum Rd lights and have some numpty honk their horn from behind me. Thinking to myself they are kidding if they expect me to get out of the way while stopped at the lights. As the lights turn green they give an extended blast of the horn until I get to the Bennetts Rd turnoff then do a close shave punishment pass on me heading up to the Wynnum Rd/Riding Rd lights. Had a karmic intervention about 500m past the lights though as a cop has pulled them over and has the book out. Cheerfully wave and blow the horny driver a big kiss as I roll on by. Laughed the rest of the way to town. :D


I would have stopped and explained to the cop what the driver had done to you just prior


Didn't have to as the copper was 2 cars behind my very horny friend and obviously saw the whole thing.
User avatar
Big_Red
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Brisbane East

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Big_Red wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Commuting into town taking the leftmost of the 2 lanes along Wynnum Rd going past the Bulimba cemetery and stopped at the Riding Rd/Wynnum Rd lights and have some numpty honk their horn from behind me. Thinking to myself they are kidding if they expect me to get out of the way while stopped at the lights. As the lights turn green they give an extended blast of the horn until I get to the Bennetts Rd turnoff then do a close shave punishment pass on me heading up to the Wynnum Rd/Riding Rd lights. Had a karmic intervention about 500m past the lights though as a cop has pulled them over and has the book out. Cheerfully wave and blow the horny driver a big kiss as I roll on by. Laughed the rest of the way to town. :D


I would have stopped and explained to the cop what the driver had done to you just prior


Didn't have to as the copper was 2 cars behind my very horny friend and obviously saw the whole thing.


Woohoo!!! Karma for the win! :)
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lammy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Big_Red wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Commuting into town taking the leftmost of the 2 lanes along Wynnum Rd going past the Bulimba cemetery and stopped at the Riding Rd/Wynnum Rd lights and have some numpty honk their horn from behind me. Thinking to myself they are kidding if they expect me to get out of the way while stopped at the lights. As the lights turn green they give an extended blast of the horn until I get to the Bennetts Rd turnoff then do a close shave punishment pass on me heading up to the Wynnum Rd/Riding Rd lights. Had a karmic intervention about 500m past the lights though as a cop has pulled them over and has the book out. Cheerfully wave and blow the horny driver a big kiss as I roll on by. Laughed the rest of the way to town. :D


I would have stopped and explained to the cop what the driver had done to you just prior


Didn't have to as the copper was 2 cars behind my very horny friend and obviously saw the whole thing.


Absolute classic. Thats made my day!!!
Image
lammy
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby vortex1018 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensla ... mp=twitter

This is going to make motorists full of hate tomorrow :(
User avatar
vortex1018
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 5:48 pm
Location: Gold Coast, QLD

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 pm

!! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! me! That B double clip. Just woah.
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:40 am

vortex1018 wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensland/watch/18285865/hearing-into-cycling-safety-set-to-start/?cmp=twitter

This is going to make motorists full of hate tomorrow :(


Damn I've never been honked and shaved as close as some of those riders were in Sydney, generally I get treated very well on the roads here but I think that's more because I'm fast and avoid the roads with the angriest drivers.
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 am

vortex1018 wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensland/watch/18285865/hearing-into-cycling-safety-set-to-start/?cmp=twitter

This is going to make motorists full of hate tomorrow :(

Yep, no doubt the anti-cyclist brigade will get stuck into it... once they've finally driven to work, rubbed the sleep out of their eyes, had several coffees, and it's almost mid-morning :lol: .
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 am

Didnt want to get out of bed this morning...too tired and sore. I spent 20 minutes deciding whether I should be lazy and drive or suck it up and just take the "pain". The BOM showed clear skies so I knew if I didnt ride I would kick myself. Final tipping point...I knew that if I didnt ride today then it would be 3 days in a row with no riding...and I couldnt justify any serious wine drinking over the weekend with such a long break.

I rode. It was slow, it was foggy...it was slow, did I mention that, that it was a slow ride :)

But I did it :)

Think I might be crawling under my desk later today for a snooze
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 am

brookfield commute with the fast boys this morning. on the way in stopped to help a damsel in distress who had dropped her chain at sylvan rd

cold this morning. perfect blue skies are the reward.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 am

gretaboy wrote:Didnt want to get out of bed this morning...too tired and sore

Your condition must be contagious, I was showing similar symptoms this morning and my ride in was fairly sluggish too.
Looking forward to the weekend, although it looks like it's going to be windy and wet today for the ride back.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Munich, Germany

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby lammy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:44 am

RE: channel 7 news report... Lol just an average day riding into work if you ask me.

We will never stop the hate relationship between car drivers and cyclists unless they are seperated.

Bike registration... sure if that means more cycle lanes in Australia (your dreaming if you think there is going to be a cycle lane on every road, most are use as convenient parking spots anyway)! But what if you only use your bike a few times a year or got a family of 6? Ouch $$
Image
lammy
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 am

vortex1018 wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/queensland/watch/18285865/hearing-into-cycling-safety-set-to-start/?cmp=twitter

This is going to make motorists full of hate tomorrow :(


I recognise some of that footage from here... Have they been checking the MM thread? :lol:

Those two truck clips - my gods. Those cyclists must have nerves of steel. I would have had to pull over and take a break after something like that.

jasonc wrote:on the way in stopped to help a damsel in distress who had dropped her chain at sylvan rd


Awww... That's nice of you. :)

TailWind wrote:Your condition must be contagious, I was showing similar symptoms this morning and my ride in was fairly sluggish too.

Did that have something to do with the wind or did you ride in prior to that hitting?

* * * *

I had a fantastic ride home last night - was a bit later than usual and the traffic seemed to have disappeared. It was really fun. :)

This morning was a typical Friday traffic morning - got honked by a lady in a small white car on the two block non-bike lane section of Albert St, East Melbourne and as she correctly overtook me in the right lane like she should have just done instead of bothering to honk me, she made huge gestures inside her car to me saying "Get in the gutter/dooring zone, twerp.". I'll pass on your kind suggestion to go and get myself knocked off the bike, thank you. :roll:

And then had a passenger on the passenger side hop out of his car in Collins St where the gutter bike lane is before the pedestrian crossing at the second tram super stop down from Spring Street. I told him politely that what he had just done was illegal and that could he please next time find a better place to hop out. He just looked at me blankly like I didn't exist, even though I had had to stop because he was blocking the bike lane and I was standing one metre away from him. Glad I wasn't a second or two earlier and know to slow down in those sections. We'll see how the footage shows up.

Then had a nice car obey the painted lines and give-way to the bikes as he indicated to turn left into a small laneway off Collins just after Swanston St. I gave him a wave of thanks.

Oh, and I forgot the wind. How could I forget the wind? :shock:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:52 am

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Didnt want to get out of bed this morning...too tired and sore

Your condition must be contagious, I was showing similar symptoms this morning and my ride in was fairly sluggish too.
Looking forward to the weekend, although it looks like it's going to be windy and wet today for the ride back.

Happy Friday! :D



waaa to you too.

I PR'd half a dozen segments and am only 3 seconds away from my goal on one segment. (and yes, i've done over 300kms this week, and last week, and the week before, and the week before that)
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 am

jasonc wrote:

waaa to you too.

I PR'd half a dozen segments and am only 3 seconds away from my goal on one segment. (and yes, i've done over 300kms this week, and last week, and the week before, and the week before that)


just 300 k's a week...that all??? Thats only 3 days of riding...need to harden up and actually ride some instead of taking things easy :twisted:

I raise your PR's with a KOM and a couple of PR's by the way :D
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:

waaa to you too.

I PR'd half a dozen segments and am only 3 seconds away from my goal on one segment. (and yes, i've done over 300kms this week, and last week, and the week before, and the week before that)


just 300 k's a week...that all??? Thats only 3 days of riding...need to harden up and actually ride some instead of taking things easy :twisted:

I raise your PR's with a KOM and a couple of PR's by the way :D


*cough* VV score *cough*
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6775
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 am

jasonc wrote:*cough* VV score *cough*


Spoken like a true politician hahaha....grab any figure and make it work for you

The "cough VV score cough" shown is of course dependent on how long you have been a member of strava and how many k's you may have done....but lets not let figures and facts get in the way of a good story or justification hahaha

I would love a pimple like Mt Cootha to be in my near local distance..I need to drive to get to decent hills unfortunately...and hills are what really change the scores up
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:57 am

Cool and crisp this morning. Along the foreshore there was fog on the other side of the lake. Nice to see, but when I got around there I had to lower my glasses and cop the cool air in the face because the glasses fogged up and made it even harder to see. Would have been nice to stop and grab a pic or two, but would have made me late for an early meeting.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 3009
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers