How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Boognoss wrote:
rheicel wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Hey what time and what direction were you riding this arvo?

Hi Simon,
I think that was around 6PM. I was only riding from Lane Cove West to North Ryde.
http://app.strava.com/activities/69652957

Phew wasn't me then, I was heading the same way super early with "only" 1400 lumens flashing. ;-)

http://app.strava.com/activities/69648854

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD

:lol: , great commuting distance there Simon.
rheicel

by BNA » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:37 pm

BNA

Postby Boognoss » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:37 pm

rheicel wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
rheicel wrote:[quote="Boognoss"]Hey what time and what direction were you riding this arvo?

Hi Simon,
I think that was around 6PM. I was only riding from Lane Cove West to North Ryde.
http://app.strava.com/activities/69652957

Phew wasn't me then, I was heading the same way super early with "only" 1400 lumens flashing. ;-)

http://app.strava.com/activities/69648854

Cheers, Simon

:lol: , great commuting distance there Simon.[/quote]

Thanks, a combination of necessity (preferring cycling to buses) and not bothering to put on cycling gear for sub-45 min rides makes a difference for me :-D

Cheers, Simon
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby TailWind » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:57 am

Close encounter with a maggie on the MYT yesterday afternoon. He had just dive-bombed another maggie sitting on the ground and obviously wasn't paying attention to cyclists intersecting with his flight path...another fraction of a second later and there would have been feathers flying all over the show..

Hard work into a northerly for most of the way back, but made it in time for my conf call.

Good ride into the CBD this morning, cool and dry.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 am

Well the marathon plus tyres came through yet again yesterday. About 7 k's into the ride home I hear this rubbing noise, this on its isnt unusual due to my tyres and mudguards, but something told me to stop and check. Found a decent sized coil of wire stuck in the rear tyre, was hesitant to pull it out but knew I had too. No sound when it came out, tyre didnt start going soft so back onto the bike I go. Rest of ride home had that niggle about whether tyre was slowly going down or not. Forgot to check it last night after getting home, but luckily for me the tyre was still pumped up when I went to get the bike this morning.

This mornings ride started off with a 0 degree temp, my feet quickly froze, despite bootie covers, and never recovered...still thawing out now. Had a nice sunrise and again the ride was uneventful..love those type of rides
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 am

gretaboy wrote:Well the marathon plus tyres came through yet again yesterday.

I posted on another thread. My front marathon plus tyre has now done over 10000kms.
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 am

TailWind wrote:Good ride into the CBD this morning, cool and dry.

Clearly you rode in prior to the rain that started somewhere around 7AM. :lol:

Very average commute this morning - got shaved by a suit wearing middle aged man in a Cayenne sports car who just didn't understand why I would be in the middle of the lane (and he could have changed into the second lane) in Albert St, East Melbourne. Or maybe he didn't see me in the middle of the lane... Oh, and he then got stuck in traffic further up the road and I blithely sailed past him giving him the death stare (not that he was watching).

Then had the cyclist in front of me almost get doored by a tradie ute driver who didn't bother looking before throwing open his door on Collins Street - the cyclist shouted "Oi" to the guy and got a very aggressive "F Off" in response. I responded back to the driver with something incoherent (I was surprised at the aggressive response considering he was the one at fault).

Welcome to Friday. At least the Friday legs didn't kill me today.
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:56 am

Summernight wrote:

Yep, I arrived at about 5:15am..lovely time of day to be riding in the city :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:02 am

Summernight wrote:
Then had the cyclist in front of me almost get doored by a tradie ute driver who didn't bother looking before throwing open his door on Collins Street - the cyclist shouted "Oi" to the guy and got a very aggressive "F Off" in response. I responded back to the driver with something incoherent (I was surprised at the aggressive response considering he was the one at fault).

I am waiting for this to happen to me one day, the closest I have come so far is a highway patrol copper getting out of his car to book someone...I did the oi and he quickly pulled his door in and started apologising.

I reckon when it happens, I will hit that door hard, hard enough to rip it off (Im not light) and have thought about how I should set my body should it occur. I really dont want to go head first.
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 am

gretaboy wrote:I reckon when it happens, I will hit that door hard, hard enough to rip it off (Im not light) and have thought about how I should set my body should it occur. I really dont want to go head first.

My understand is the best approach is to lean the bike into the car to wipe off as much speed as possible.
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 am

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:

I am waiting for this to happen to me one day, the closest I have come so far is a highway patrol copper getting out of his car to book someone...I did the oi and he quickly pulled his door in and started apologising.

I reckon when it happens, I will hit that door hard, hard enough to rip it off (Im not light) and have thought about how I should set my body should it occur. I really dont want to go head first.

As Jason said lean towards the car to slow yourself down/prevent yourself from being flung out into the road and being run over but natural instinct will more than likely make you go right. If your just flying you shouldn't be in the doorzone for starters.

TBH I'm seeing more and more cyclists just begging to be doored ie their lines approaching the car - usually its the more casual out for a ride/not 100% confident with traffic/new to riding type. Its not the traditional dooring where the rider was holding a steady line well in view of approaching the car and the driver didn't look. It's the unintentional/lack of experience or fear by the riders but they get into that sweet spot that's not directly behind the car yet not directly alongside the car when approaching and then move out just a metre-couple metres before getting to the car.
Lukeyboy

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am

Missed the rain this morning but my feet got wet. My booties didn't protect my runners well enough..which I"m using because the pedals on my commuter snapped and I'm waiting for a refund.
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 am

Perth:

Fortunately I left a litte earlier this morning as there were a few times along the Como stretch that I had to acknolwedge superiority to the winds coming across Melville water and hoof it. Of course, once I stepped off the unicycle I was not able to remount until I reached the enxt bit of distant sheltered path. thank goodness for Pelican Point on the Nedlands side giving me shelter later in the ride.

Only came unstuck however once on an unseen honky nut in Mount Pleasant. I only saw one cyclist until I got to Canning Bridge 40 minutes into my ride.

I hope it is a little less brisk on the way home. :?
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
As Jason said lean towards the car to slow yourself down/prevent yourself from being flung out into the road and being run over but natural instinct will more than likely make you go right. If your just flying you shouldn't be in the doorzone for starters.

TBH I'm seeing more and more cyclists just begging to be doored ie their lines approaching the car - usually its the more casual out for a ride/not 100% confident with traffic/new to riding type. Its not the traditional dooring where the rider was holding a steady line well in view of approaching the car and the driver didn't look. It's the unintentional/lack of experience or fear by the riders but they get into that sweet spot that's not directly behind the car yet not directly alongside the car when approaching and then move out just a metre-couple metres before getting to the car.

I keep my line steady, but there are points where the shoulder is a car parking lane and the two lanes of traffic next to me are at 80k/h. I have a choice of fighting with b-doubles and miners or selecting the sliver of shoulder left for me and this is my future dooring zone :) If too narrow I do pick my times and will take the road, and I will signal before doing so. My eyes are also moving hundred miles an hour searching for any movement in any of the cars.

Having also ridden motorbikes on the road for many years, I have a pretty good feel of what other drivers are going to do, motorcycle riding teaches you to read the traffic
gretaboy

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 am

Nice ride in today, perfect winter weather although I think I'm riding too soon after getting over my cold because it feels like it's getting worse again :S

Fastest ride in to work to date (on my new route), riding my road bike and warming up on rollers before-hand so it makes sense, trying to get back into race fitness for next month.

Had a few cars underestimate my speed and turn in front of me only to have me right up their backsides and braking, annoying but none of them were really dangerous and probably would have been fine had I been going a few kph slower so no big deal.
AndrewBurns

Postby Summernight » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks for the dooring tips. I guess if I'm doing a quick swerve right I might be countersteering left just at the point of impact? :P

Lukeyboy - completely agree with you about the poor riding skills and riding in the door zone, however I won't blame this cyclist for that error as he was riding on the line of the bicycle lane and the vehicle lane and was clearly fairly experienced at riding in traffic - Collins St, CBD Melbourne has a BDZ (Bicycle Dooring Zone) lane thingy that looks like it should be used by cyclists (and is used when the cars are banked up) but is completely in the door zone. If you want to ride past the banked up traffic (at whatever speed) you have to use that lane. Whenever there isn't any traffic in the lane I am out of the bicycle 'lane' and in the vehicle lane to prevent myself getting doored.

Other cyclists may not be as savvy or confident though and will probably stick on the left of the line in the bicycle lane - ie. completely in the door zone.
Summernight

Postby alkhoo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:49 am

The commute home yesterday was great, we got off at Gisborne and rode to Kyneton. A very pleasant ride. Apparently, my mate's Garmin said the average temperature was 3 degrees. :D

Just a recovery cruise ride into the office this morning. It's the second time this week at the intersection of Salmon and Lorimer Streets, that the same car has changed lanes within 30 feet of the intersection, to turn left right in front of me. Unfortunately for him, the car in front of him wasn't turning left. Boy was he pissed!
alkhoo

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 pm

alkhoo wrote: It's the second time this week at the intersection of Salmon and Lorimer Streets, that the same car has changed lanes within 30 feet of the intersection, to turn left right in front of me. Unfortunately for him, the car in front of him wasn't turning left. Boy was he pissed!

did you go tap on the window and have words?
jasonc

Postby alkhoo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 pm

jasonc wrote:
alkhoo wrote: It's the second time this week at the intersection of Salmon and Lorimer Streets, that the same car has changed lanes within 30 feet of the intersection, to turn left right in front of me. Unfortunately for him, the car in front of him wasn't turning left. Boy was he pissed!

did you go tap on the window and have words?

He looked pretty agro and I didn't want to add wood to the fire. Boy was he agro when the left turn signal was green and the car in front wasn't intending to turn left. My solution to this particular intersection is if it's green, I go straight ahead. If it's left turn only and the left lane is clear, I will turn left.

Both times, I heard him coming up and was expecting him to cut in, so I was prepared and I never felt in danger. I think I've got his plate number and if it happens again, I'm going to re-check the plate number and give the cops a call. Just to be clear, I am not a kerb hugger begging to be squeezed. I will usually sit about 0.5m - 1.0m in the left lane and adjust as necessary so I don't get squeezed when it is unsafe for me.
alkhoo

Postby vortex1018 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Summernight wrote:

Very average commute this morning - got shaved by a suit wearing middle aged man in a Cayenne sports car who just didn't understand why I would be in the middle of the lane (and he could have changed into the second lane) in Albert St, East Melbourne. Or maybe he didn't see me in the middle of the lane... Oh, and he then got stuck in traffic further up the road and I blithely sailed past him giving him the death stare (not that he was watching).

Welcome to Friday. At least the Friday legs didn't kill me today.

This is why I wear motorcycle gloves
vortex1018

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 am

commute this morning wasn't one of my favourite.
checked the radar, some blotches of rain here and there. So the overshoes went on. Had a full bag this morning, so just cruising in. A couple of kms from home, the drizzle starts. A couple of kms later, rain. 15 minutes further on, no rain and blue skies. oh well.
Get onto Coro drive bikeway. At the roadwords there's a traffic controller with a stop sign. Sat there for a good 5 minutes. Then they directed us up onto the narrow footpath anyway.

Bike WAS clean. oh well. better than any other way of getting to work.
jasonc

Postby vortex1018 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:03 am

nearly got hit by a woman when she sped past me leaving about 20 centimeters, yelled out "see you on youtube" a bit too late, caught up with her at the next light and yelled it again. She probably didn't hear me because she was texting.
vortex1018

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am

Friday ride home was a killer. I had to get home by a certain time due to family commitments. Left work a touch early to factor in any potential flat tyre issues but luckily didnt need to use that time. However that extra time was used up by the headwind. Thing was blowing hard the whole way and around the 30k mark. I pushed hard, as hard as the legs could go. This despite having a strong headwind and over 400 k's for the week already. For about the first 30 k's I was able to keep an average speed of 30 k/h but the last 15 I just died...didnt help that the last 15 k's were in pretty open conditions so I had nothing to hide behind to try and alleviate the headwind. Got home in time but was shattered, absolutely shattered as a result.

This mornings ride was brilliant. Started off in thick fog, lucky to see 20 metres in front. Was cold too and I forgot my "scoobie" to protect the ears and face. Ears were aching as a result. But as the ride went on, the sun came out, not a cloud in the skie. Was a great morning for a ride.
gretaboy

Postby TailWind » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:31 am

Multi-hop commute back on Friday. Had another one of my unusual sightings on the MYT - this time a character with a couple of ferrets in his arms.
Woke up in the very early hours of the morning to a rain front sweeping over the house, but it had blown over by the time I left. Had wet roads and paths on the way into the CBD - no more shiny bike - didn't even last 24 hours since the wash yesterday ...
TailWind

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am

Friday night: Satellite commute in South Geraldton, meeting the gang at a restaurant. Just as I left the bike cage, the heavens opened, complete with 25kt crosswind. It's only 5 or so km, I tell myself, how wet can i get? Well I found out, It just rained harder and harder. I briefly considered stopping at the BFs place for an emergency costume change but figured I'd just get both sets of clothes soused. I was sure that the water surging in all directions was going to kill my headlight, because I lost the bung out of the charge port and had my electrical tape in the other bag, but luckily it held up.

I was wearing jeans, too ::forehead slap:: Got some major double-takes as I squelched into the restaurant. Was the first major test for my delish Danish macintosh recently procured in the UK - well it passed, but everything south of the hemline was saturated. My feet went numb eventually, so all good :roll:

Fared a significantly better this morning, overcast, no rain, no wind.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Summernight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

vortex1018 wrote:This is why I wear motorcycle gloves

For what purpose? I don't quite understand the context in relation to my previous post (is it for punching out drivers or for extra skin protection?)

Lovely weather this morning for a ride to work. Still a bit of wind left over from yesterday but bearable.
Summernight

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting