How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

VRE

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby VRE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 pm

<best_Lady_Macbeth_impression>
Out, damn'd Friday legs! out, I say!
</best_Lady_Macbeth_impression>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Riding the Citrix today :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Riding the Citrix today :(
Working from home has other advantages, Shaun!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Yeah, I can take a break whenever I like and avoid IT mob imposed quotas and filters. 8)
Dual monitor setup at home makes it easier to play with large docs too.
Hmmm, I might try to hit up the boss for a second monitor if the toaster at work can handle it...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm

First longer commute in at least a month, nearly killed me. Forgot what a 10 kilo weight penalty felt like :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 pm

nice addition to a sign on the path next to the legacy way works

Orion

Postby Orion » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:13 pm

This week was my first week of commuting to work by bike everyday (I work only 4 days a week). Total commuting mileage for this month is 261.6km which is a record for me.
Was lovely weather for riding too :)

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 am

Is it too much to ask that when a cyclist overtakes another, that he/she gives sufficient room? A cyclist overtook me today with hardly any clearance on Studley Park Rd, even though the road was almost empty. I frequently notice that a lot of cyclists in Australia ride bicycles like bad motorists, i.e. they don't overtake properly and generally don't bother giving way. After I caught up to this cyclist and had a word with him, he was completely unapologetic.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:21 am

Rode back via Epping Friday afternoon, had to visit a family member at the Northern Hospital. Swung by there on Saturday as well. Decent bike paths and lanes most of the way from my place.
Pleasant ride into the CBD this morning, good conditions, no dramas.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Got rained on on Friday night. Good thing I didn't clean the chain Friday lunch. Chain cleaning was done this lunchtime so to any Melbournians be prepared for a rain cloud to appear completely out of the blue. :twisted:

This morning the light turned green at Hoddle and Albert/Elizabeth when I was a fair way out, but I know this light and know that if I sprint it I should be able to make it. No cars around the near vicinity either to have to watch out for.

I engaged the sprint mode on my legs (which is a feat in itself on a Monday) and passed a cyclist who was clearly faster than me and had been pulling away from me prior to me engaging the sprint. I knew as I passed him that if I missed the light I'd look like a complete idiot. Anyway, lungs burning, legs pumping, pedals grinding... I made it!!! The light hadn't even turned yellow after I'd gone through the windy intersection so the fast cyclist must have decided that since I was sprinting he'd sprint too and he also caught it. Of course, after that I was stuffed and couldn't get the breathing back down to anything acceptable so must have sounded like a chain saw until I finally got a red light about four blocks later (to stop and get a breather). But I got the light. :)

Achievement of the day. :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Summernight wrote:Achievement of the day. :P
well done. now make a strava segment out of it

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:Achievement of the day. :P
well done. now make a strava segment out of it
:lol:

Not going down the slippery slope that is Strava. Plus I'm betting it already has a strava segment and I wouldn't get in the top 100 (even though the posted speed limit is 40 and I got up to 40. :wink: )

Thrilloilogy

Postby Thrilloilogy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Had an enjoyable commute to and from work today. Apart from a small section, where these pedestrians which seemed to be part of a walking group for male pensioners was walking 3 or 4 abreast taking up the whole road going the same direction that I am going, when they could have either taken up less space or walked ons the nature strip. I ride slowly and ring my bell to let them know I am there. No acknowledgement. I also assume they've seen my 550 lumen light that is lighting up the road ahead. There is enough room for me to pass on the wrong side of the road. Right when I am in that spot the one on the right veers straight into where I am. We didn't make contact.

They then make all these silly noises that sound like "no no no". I just slowed, and said "it's a road, next time keep to the left or stay on the nature strip. I bet they'd be the sort of people who would have a whinge every time they see a cyclist riding on a footpath. Then when the road has a dead end and goes to a share path to link to the next street, there are some more pensioners ahead and they all managed to move to the left and we even had some nice conversation such as "it's a nice night for a ride" etc! Made me feel better; but they would have heard my grumpiness at their other mates.

I wish I had kept my cool and kept riding!

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Beautiful morning here in Hobart this morning. Got the bike up to 75.6 kmh and was only constrained by the cars in front of me :)

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 am

limbot wrote:Beautiful morning here in Hobart this morning. Got the bike up to 75.6 kmh and was only constrained by the cars in front of me :)
... and of course by the posted speed limit.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:19 am

what's that damp stuff on the road and coming from the sky? been over a month since we've had rain in Brissy. Copped a bit of drizzle on the extended commute this morning. Tomorrow, I'm in the honourable reasons thread with a sick child (will still try and squeeze in a ride)

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 am

Compared to others on this forum my commutes are pretty much routine. The rear carrier seems to be holding together with its numerous hose clamps and various other ‘after-market’ devices. The Tannus tyre on the front wheel has clocked up 5,000 kms and whilst looking worn and with several cuts and impregnated with assorted pieces of road debris is holding up well :) .

I’ve virtually abandoned my bike locker at Deagon and now my usual commute is to Northgate, increasing my daily distance from 30 kms to 50. In the near future I’m planning on increasing it further and going all the way into work. Seventy kilometres a day will be a BIG ask for a fat, bald, grumpy old guy but if I can achieve this it’ll make me a fat, bald, grumpy old guy that rides 70 kms a day :D .

The weather of late has been beautiful weather for riding but of late the evening headwinds have started up again :roll: .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am

jasonc wrote:what's that damp stuff on the road and coming from the sky? been over a month since we've had rain in Brissy. Copped a bit of drizzle on the extended commute this morning. Tomorrow, I'm in the honourable reasons thread with a sick child (will still try and squeeze in a ride)
All dry on the northside. Even blue sky.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:01 am

jasonc wrote:what's that damp stuff on the road and coming from the sky? been over a month since we've had rain in Brissy. Copped a bit of drizzle on the extended commute this morning. Tomorrow, I'm in the honourable reasons thread with a sick child (will still try and squeeze in a ride)
Trailgator / Tagalong - no excuses !!!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14 am

Took a detour home yesterday...paid for it with a magpie attack..persistent bugger over a good stretch too. Then on a normal stretch of road I take I got attacked again, was quite surprised to get attacked at this point. Guess it is now a "sprint" section until magpie season is over.

Due to having to do work outside of core business hours, I had to lug the laptop home. I am just glad I dont have to do this on a daily basis. The thing gets heavy after a while and what made it worse was knowing I had to lug it back into work the next day.

Yesterday morning and this morning I have had very thick fog to deal with. At one point this morning I felt that the fog was so thick that I could actually chew on it...it was a strange feeling...clothes get quite damp as a result. But much rather the fog than rain so am still a happy chappy.

Had one smart arse trucker release his air brakes or such when he got next to me this morning. I took it as blatant attempt to try and startle me...am yet to check the go pro footage and if he has a name/number on his truck he will be getting an abusive call from a private number.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:17 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Trailgator / Tagalong - no excuses !!!

http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_she ... nctivitis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Conjunctivitis can be an infectious or allergic condition: if infectious it is often highly contagious

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 am

Was so stressed about not being able to find my merino neck gaiter this morning (which I wore on Sunday morning for an hour and then put into my jersey pocket) that I forgot to put a drink bottle in my bidon this morning.

Was a little thirsty when I got to work.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:47 am

Rode back via Epping yesterday afternoon, and for the first time in many weeks had a bit of a tailwind. Unbelievable, felt like I was flying along effortlessly :mrgreen: .
Also discovered an almost surgical 15mm cut in my rear tyre, extending from just below the reflective strip on the sidewall though to the tread, exposing the blue puncture protection strip. Applied some shoe goo to seal the cut and hopefully stop it from tearing further.

Cooler this morning, pleasant ride into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 am

Stayed in Melbourne on the weekend, so it wasn't a bike commute but a car commute. Was doing laps of Yarra Boulevard when the heavens and I got absolutely drenched! I had to ride southbound back to the car and was very tempted to just stay out and ride another lap, but decided to call it a day as my lights ran out of batteries. The sun glare coming of the wet roads was blinding.

Rode yesterday morning into work. Uneventful. Left the bike in the office overnight - it's getting a new saddle and 'weekend' wheels today. Looking forward to giving the new wheels a go tomorrow.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am

Lovely ride in, no dramas. Nice weather and a fair few more cyclists around. :)