How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:36 am

Very warm in Melbourne yesterday afternoon for the commute back, courtesy of a hot northerly headwind. Took it easy, and arrived home a little later than usual but without incident. Interestingly, there were less peds on the paths in this heat than on a cold, miserably day.
Not much wildlife about this morning, other than for a possum, but came across a some peds on the Darebin Creek Trail at around 4:30am. A chap was ambling along, tapping on his phone, and further along, a young couple squinted at me, dazzled by my light in the darkness of the path.
Plenty of spiderwebs strung across the paths this morning. I'm dreading the day I hit the occupant of one of the webs face-first....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 am

TailWind wrote: Plenty of spiderwebs strung across the paths this morning. I'm dreading the day I hit the occupant of one of the webs face-first....
One of the reasons I prefer an evening MTB ride than morning, they are still building. But it's not that I get much of either!

Another perfect start to the day. Cool, calm. There was a lot of ped/rider activity meaning it was nice and cruisy this morning. Extended from 15min to 37min and enjoyed every second.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 am

I had a lovely ride in today, even with a honk from a taxi because I was claiming the left lane in the two lane section of Albert Street.

And the ride home last night was pleasant too. I was expecting it to be scorching hot but the 10 degree cool change happened before I stepped out and it was very nice not to be riding in stinking hot weather.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

Was genuinely hot last night. I missed the cool change.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Nice and cool this morning for the commute. Unfortunately I had eaten like a pig yesterday and felt very bloated this morning. I wasn't expecting a fast ride to work. As such I was very pleasantly surprised by my 32.2 km/hr average speed :shock:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Cool with a solid tailwind, once warmed up and hit the PSP, next 20km at 40kph, even with road/path works and traffic, kept a 38kph average to the city, then caught every light and more roadworks.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 pm

This morning I managed to be a Helpful Cycylist, loaning a pump to a lady at the top of the MYT on Yarra Boulevard to get her shiny S-works bike moving again.

Then had a nice pair of cyclists join me on the journey up Albert St, allowing us to claim the lane. The lady sat beside me and the gent was behind us, she mentioned they were extending their ride since she had the day off and it was lovely weather.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm

On the way home this evening I again managed to average 32 km/hr and snaffled a top 3 position for a segment. I managed the segment position chasing a mate down in his car. I hit 70kmhr doing it. Averaged 49 km/hr for the 600m segment. Woo hoo.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:32 pm

I took a phone call on my way home and watched an absolute genius underpass a b double, then my commute turned into silly season for the next 10 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4moTYZs7ik4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:12 am

Rode back via MYT, Heidelberg, Greensborough etc. yesterday afternoon. Somewhat muggy, but pleasant enough.
Woke a few times during the night as a rain front was passing over Melbourne, which thankfully then had cleared by the time I was out the door.
The roads and paths were pretty wet though, with lots of standing water. Made it into the CBD without getting rained on.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 am

Supposed to be hot in my area today, around 35, so woke to plenty of fog. In summer I dont normally turn the tail light on but with the fog and very very narrow shoulders it came on this morning. Still run arm warmers in the morning also as it is still a little cool, for me, to start off with but warms up as the ride goes on, I just cant be bothered stopping to take them off so end up sweating a little.

Pushed hard again this morning, after a day off yesterday, and thought I had scored a 34 k average but the garmin upload said 33.6. I am happy with this and am finding the racing I have started doing is helping build my speeds and strength overall. My weight is also slowly dropping again.

The commute itself was uneventful and am thoroughly enjoying this aspect of my commutes.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 am

I did post this in the coot-tha thread but just a re-iteration
cops all over coot-tha this morning. undercover cop car checking for speed/bells on bikes across the top
2 bodies found in a car on the back of coot-tha.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Humid ride in this morning. If someone wanted to collect sweat they should have followed me with a bucket.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 pm

New achievement: today I rode the whole way in on the Big Ring - including all my climbs.

Big Ring here is relative - I have a CX bike, so it's a 46 tooth. Still proud that I managed it!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:14 pm

82kms with ~1500m of climbing for the day. this is nuts

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Was today declared Numpty Wednesday ? My commute is usually idiot free, but today they were out in force.

Numpty 1 was the cyclist who thinks he is too important to give way as he leaves the road to join the bike path (road rule 75) & at the next lights jumps the kerb & crosses against the red (road rule 260). Apparently he needed the head start as some short fat old slow bloke reeled him in before the next intersection

Numpty 2 was the drug addled cyclist who pulled up alongside me at the same lights & all but rode into the side of me as he wobbled off

Numpty 3 was the bendy bus driver who blocked the entire 4 lane intersection (road rule 128)

Numpty 4 was the motor scooter rider who rode on the wrong side of the road (road rule 132), along the pedestrian crossing to get past the bus & then back across the next pedestrian crossing to rejoin the road

Numpty 5 was the driver who stopped at a T-junction, looked straight at me, then pulled out anyway. Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic & I could swerve to avoid him. As the drivers window was down, so I was able to give him a loud & colourful character assessment as I rode alongside him.

Sigh, hopefully tomorrow will return to normal
Anything you can do, I can do slower

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:54 pm

No commute today but I will claim an honorable excuse - my first grandchild was born this morning and I skipped work to visit and get my special cuddles with baby Harrison.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 pm

TraceyG wrote:No commute today but I will claim an honorable excuse - my first grandchild was born this morning and I skipped work to visit and get my special cuddles with baby Harrison.
GRANTED

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:09 am

my body hates me this morning. urgh

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:52 am

Bit chilly but as I'd already put on the kit I couldn't be bothered taking the skort off again to put on the long leggings. I was cold with the gusty headwind but I warmed up in the end. I didn't feel fast though (darn wind) and I forgot my deodorant so I had to borrow a colleague's. Awkward.

On the way home last night I also had a headwind and there was a cyclist in front of me so I sprinted a bit to catch up to him. Unfortunately for me just as I was enjoying using his slipstream he indicated he was turning left into a side street. Slipstream fail.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:57 am

jasonc wrote:82kms with ~1500m of climbing for the day. this is nuts
Yikes, did you have some sort of mega seismic event over there that pushed up a new mountain in front of your house? :shock:
My "hilly" commute over 40km back home has a about 500m of climbing, but I only do that twice a week. The regular home-bound commute has around 330m of climbing, that's more than enough for me :oops:

Avoided the rain yesterday afternoon, which was lucky.
Back into winter mode in Melbourne this morning, with a 9C start and a maximum of 16C today.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:18 am

Great ride home last night, slight tail-cum-crosswind but felt strong and ended up with a bunch of PB's including my 1st 2nd place on a segment, which is 30kms long. Was close to an average 32kmh for the whole 38kms as well, which is the next target. Nearly at 4000kms for the year, which I think is pretty handy considering I only started cycling seriously this year

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:21 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:82kms with ~1500m of climbing for the day. this is nuts
Yikes, did you have some sort of mega seismic event over there that pushed up a new mountain in front of your house? :shock:
4 coot-thas in the morning definitely help. I then helped my boss and a mate get through a longer commute in the arvo

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am

Windy and blustery headwind this morning.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:51 pm