How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TonyMax » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:49 am

It's a beautiful day in downtown Canberra and I set another PB for the morning leg. No sign of snakes and felt super strong for the last 20 minutes or so for some reason.

We'll see how this afternoon goes after our section Christmas lunch, the dreaded Turkish restaurant banquet.

It's just carb loading right? I shouldn't feel guilty...
TonyMax

by BNA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:56 am

BNA

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:56 am

TonyMax wrote:It's a beautiful day in downtown Canberra and I set another PB for the morning leg. No sign of snakes and felt super strong for the last 20 minutes or so for some reason.

We'll see how this afternoon goes after our section Christmas lunch, the dreaded Turkish restaurant banquet.

It's just carb loading right? I shouldn't feel guilty...

Had our team lunch yesterday- ended up with a big bowl of chilli mussels- one of my faves- thankfully didn't have to ride home just halfway to pick up our car being serviced- still full though and was not a pleasant feeling riding (or sitting in traffic in a car to get home)!!
CXCommuter

Postby TonyMax » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:57 am

I'm going to try to be sensible (half a kilo to go to reach my goal weight and all) but it's Turkish, and I love Turkish...
TonyMax

Postby Summernight » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:11 am

I'm already trying to lose the extra kilo I somehow gained when on holiday in mid November (it may or may not have something to do with the buffet breakfasts :oops: ). Methinks I'll have to take the bike for extra long rides during the two week Christmas break.

Good ride home last night and good ride in this morning. I thought the legs would protest due to the early morning jog, but they held up well on the ride.

A truck was broken down on the corner of Albert St and Lansdowne (I think it was Lansdowne) with the tow truck in attendance and it was causing traffic to bank up a block or two back. Not for the cyclists!!! :D
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:59 am

poohkies joined me and the fast guys this morning. good fun
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:12 am

Decent ride back via MYT yesterday afternoon.
Bit of a headwind on the way in this morning, but not a big deal. Plenty of eyes reflecting back at me along the Darebin Creek Trail, and much rustling in the undergrowth.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby westab » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:04 am

Had a good week of riding this week, am a few kms short of where I would like to be due to end of year events for the kids requiring me to be home on time.

Mind you thats OK as the petrol tank is getting empty as I feel the need for a rest. Still aiming to get to 450km this month with only one week to go.

At the moment got to love the warmer weather (even if riding on Friday legs) :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Had a good week, considerate trucks, safe overtaking and cars behaving for a change. Until I was nearly home.

I didn't think I was that fat :oops: Not a lot of bark off me when the lid collapsed but twisted my ankle a bit as I tried putting my foot out to break my fall. No scratches on the bike but the rim has a wobble. Notified TMR as it was one of their electrical pits.
Tomca74

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 pm

That's not a asbestos cover is it?
Lukeyboy

Postby Tomca74 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:That's not a asbestos cover is it?

Lid is concrete, pit is asbestos. Fortunately it is moist so hopefully didn't create any dust
Tomca74

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:30 am

Multi-hop commute back on Friday via Heidelberg and Watsonia North.

Southerly headwind this morning, but pleasant enough temp. Regular wildlife sightings on the Darebin Creek Trail, however, the rabbits have been notably scarce lately. I wonder if there's a link between the recent fox proliferation and the absence of the rabbits.
The early morning dog walker and his black lab were also about, with the lab now equipped with two blinkies, one red, one white.
As I was riding along Heidelberg Rd near Fairfield, a flying fox colony winged its way overhead, presumably heading back to its roost along Yarra Boulevard, but luckily there was no guano bombardment from above.
Fairly quiet traffic-wise into the CBD.

I need to be consistent with my commute distances this week to hit my target of 15 000km worth of commuting for the year - I may have to take the longer route in for my morning commutes on those couple of really hot days forecast for this week, rather than doing the long rides during the afternoon heat.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby gretaboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 am

I have been pretty quiet over the last week or so. After my last commute last week I was roughly 15 k's short of 17 000 commute k's for the year...wasn't happy Jan :)

However, with two rides to the local pool I fixed that and have now achieved the 17k mark for the year. I won't get to 18 thousand, just not prepared to put the required effort in..lazy I know.

I put a cadence sensor on the bike over the weekend so my commute this morning was spent trying to maintain a 90+ rpm status. I think I am going to have to train myself to be a "spinner" and not the "loper" that I have been. Certainly gets the whole range of gears happening.
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:59 am

some big numbers there TW and gretaboy. If all goes to plan, I'll hit 13000kms for the year commuting before the end of the year.
jasonc

Postby TonyMax » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 am

I managed another PB on the way home on Friday, I have the homeward leg down to less than 1h20m now. I ripped nearly 6 minutes out of my previous time.

Now to get the morning leg under 1h10m this week...
TonyMax

Postby gretaboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:38 am

TonyMax wrote:I managed another PB on the way home on Friday, I have the homeward leg down to less than 1h20m now. I ripped nearly 6 minutes out of my previous time.

Now to get the morning leg under 1h10m this week...

What distance are you doing each way Tony?
gretaboy

Postby TonyMax » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 am

gretaboy wrote:What distance are you doing each way Tony?

To work is ~37.6km and more downhill than up (work altitude is ~575m and home is ~662m).

Home is ~38.4km.

I don't do it every day, I'm aiming for once a week.
TonyMax

Postby gretaboy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 am

TonyMax wrote:
gretaboy wrote:What distance are you doing each way Tony?

To work is ~37.6km and more downhill than up (work altitude is ~575m and home is ~662m).

Home is ~38.4km.

I don't do it every day, I'm aiming for once a week.

Those times are quite decent then...it is hard to backup pushing both ways on such distances

my average is between 1:25 -1:30, unless big headwinds, for my 45 k's..my best time so far is 1:17
gretaboy

Postby TonyMax » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 am

gretaboy wrote:Those times are quite decent then...it is hard to backup pushing both ways on such distances

Thanks, I'm putting in every day, and quite often there's headwinds on the way home, which don't help me.

I'm trying to push myself every time I'm on the bike and set new PBs for the routes I ride (or at least average 30km/h).

I'm using it for weight loss and I still have 0.5kg to lose in the next fortnight so I'll definitely be trying to smash it on my commute day this week.
TonyMax

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:59 am

well done Tony. some great times there.
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:35 pm

has anyone who uses the MYT outside Melb Girls Grammar in Richmond noticed that the ducks are becoming increasingly bolshy towards cyclists? they aren't afraid to stand their ground, that's for sure!
jules21

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm

jules21 wrote:has anyone who uses the MYT outside Melb Girls Grammar in Richmond noticed that the ducks are becoming increasingly bolshy towards cyclists? they aren't afraid to stand their ground, that's for sure!

Yep, for sure..even though the ducklings are pretty grown up already, the parents still charge, outstretched neck parallel to the ground, beak wide open. Tough little buggers...
TailWind

Postby rheicel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Did only one way today as usual. It is hot in the arvo but fun, thanks tailwind for helping me go through 'Epping Punch', :lol:
rheicel

Postby poohkies » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 am

totally fantastic ride in to the Airport this morning, great weather missed all the rain, held a nice speed and Brisbane is amazing early in the morning so quite!
poohkies

Postby TonyMax » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:47 am

Another beautiful day to be on the bike, I even had someone to pace with/chase on Gungahlin Drive, but I got held up a couple of times so no PB. Still, a lovely morning for a ride.
TonyMax

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 am

poohkies wrote:totally fantastic ride in to the Airport this morning, great weather missed all the rain, held a nice speed and Brisbane is amazing early in the morning so quite!

look out this commuting thing will become addictive
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting