How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TonyMax » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:47 am

Another beautiful day to be on the bike, I even had someone to pace with/chase on Gungahlin Drive, but I got held up a couple of times so no PB. Still, a lovely morning for a ride.
TonyMax

by BNA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 am

BNA

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 am

poohkies wrote:totally fantastic ride in to the Airport this morning, great weather missed all the rain, held a nice speed and Brisbane is amazing early in the morning so quite!

look out this commuting thing will become addictive
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:40 am

Uneventful ride back yesterday afternoon, even though there were plenty of people about on the paths.
Similarly quiet this morning, cool southerly headwind riding into the CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 am

jules21 wrote:has anyone who uses the MYT outside Melb Girls Grammar in Richmond noticed that the ducks are becoming increasingly bolshy towards cyclists? they aren't afraid to stand their ground, that's for sure!

*cough* It is Melbourne Girls' College, Melbourne Girls' Grammar is on the Anderson St hill in South Yarra beside the Royal Botanic Gardens. Not that the distinction really matters unless you like hills. :P

I've been having good rides at the moment. Everyone seems to be behaving to a point, minus that two block section of Albert St, although all the cars have been doing is straddling the lane line and cutting in too early after overtaking me... But at least they aren't honking.

There was a car that made me laugh too on my ride into work - on the corner of Church and Elizabeth St, Richmond - the car had three plush toys tied to the front of the car - I think they were muppet characters (including Miss Piggy). Now, they weren't tied on top of the radiator, they were tied so they were dangling just above the road. The plush toy on the driver's side had its feet touching the ground. Sacrificial plushies? :D
Summernight

Postby poohkies » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:27 pm

well commute home from airport was okies, pushed along nicely, but riding at 11:00am is bloody hot! got some pretty good pr's so improving each ride! so happy with that
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 pm

poohkies wrote:well commute home from airport was okies, pushed along nicely, but riding at 11:00am is bloody hot! got some pretty good pr's so improving each ride! so happy with that

told you you'd get that time down
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Summernight wrote:
jules21 wrote:has anyone who uses the MYT outside Melb Girls Grammar in Richmond noticed that the ducks are becoming increasingly bolshy towards cyclists? they aren't afraid to stand their ground, that's for sure!

*cough* It is Melbourne Girls' College, Melbourne Girls' Grammar is on the Anderson St hill in South Yarra beside the Royal Botanic Gardens. Not that the distinction really matters unless you like hills. :P

they shouldn't be allowed to call their schools such similar names :)
jules21

Postby poohkies » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:38 pm

jasonc wrote:told you you'd get that time down

Yeah it's getting there, just have to set a route, keep going a different way every ride, but on the way I stayed of Milton road like you said, and way home I did the route I normally do backwards when on night shift if that makes sense
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:00 pm

poohkies wrote:
jasonc wrote:told you you'd get that time down

Yeah it's getting there, just have to set a route, keep going a different way every ride, but on the way I stayed of Milton road like you said, and way home I did the route I normally do backwards when on night shift if that makes sense

DO NOT DO milton rd. geebus.
jasonc

Postby gretaboy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:31 am

Was having a nice ride this morning..until...I clicked the chain off the rear cassette and it jammed in between the cassette and spokes...causing a busted spoke plus maybe a second damaged one.

Upside, I was just under 2 k from the office when it happened so walked the bike the rest of the way.

What a bad time of year for it to happen too...have rung a few bike shops and all of them have shut down their repairs until the new year. So I am going to get replacement spokes and attempt it myself...what joy am I going to have :)
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:38 am

^ bugger. unfortunately it's normally a sign of 1 of 3 things: poorly adjusted rear derailleur, rear derailleur cable about to snap or bent derailleur hanger
jasonc

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 am

jasonc wrote:^ bugger. unfortunately it's normally a sign of 1 of 3 things: poorly adjusted rear derailleur, rear derailleur cable about to snap or bent derailleur hanger

Or if you are unlucky like me, a bearing in the freehub fails and the freehub slips down the axle and renders the adjustment on the limit screw useless, then you end up with 9 busted spokes in one go.

I keep spare spokes at home thankfully, so replacing all 9 spokes was only a couple of hours work. Replacing freehub sealed bearings is more of an issue, so I built a new wheel based on standard cup & cone bearings. Servicing those is simple.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby TailWind » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 am

Not much to report for the commutes yesterday afternoon (MYT, Greensborough etc) and this morning, pretty much standard conditions and no issues.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby SeattleCyclist89 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Crisp morning in Seattle...nothing like a winter ride followed by a hot cup of joe :D
SeattleCyclist89

Postby TailWind » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 am

Rode back via MYT and Darebin Creek Trails, plenty of peds and recreational cyclists around, no surprise with the pleasant conditions.
Left a little earlier this morning to ride the longer route in via Darebin Creek Trail and Capital City trail heading past the zoo, through Docklands and South Bank.
This afternoon we'll see 40C apparently, so I'll do the shorter route back home.
TailWind

Postby nezumi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 am

TailWind wrote:Rode back via MYT and Darebin Creek Trails, plenty of peds and recreational cyclists around, no surprise with the pleasant conditions.
Left a little earlier this morning to ride the longer route in via Darebin Creek Trail and Capital City trail heading past the zoo, through Docklands and South Bank.
This afternoon we'll see 40C apparently, so I'll do the shorter route back home.

I was going to do a lap of the Boulie last night to get onto the MYT, then realised that my water bottle was empty, so I went via Dight's Falls so I could fill it up. got to the top of the Pipe Bridge climb and thought "bugger this, I'm too warm" after deliberating for a few minutes, and watching a motorcyclist struggling in vain to fix his bike.

This morning was a smooth run in, felt good. Had some CBD issues - I got stuck behind two different garbage trucks on Collins St, one from Sping St to Russell, and one at Swanston.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 am

Counting down, just 1 more commute & I am off on holidays
find_bruce

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 am

Perth:

Yesterday, windy as all hell heading home. I sprinted most of the last three km which includes a few nice long rises. I often attack rises as they are easier than flats. I did a pulse check and it was still less than I would have thought. With the best will in the worldit is still almost impossible to to work the system as much as a good a hard bike ride would.

This morning I got nearly 6km from home and realised I had left my phone, security pass and other stuff so I had to double up a bit. More hard sprinting up those rises. :mrgreen:

Methinks I'l take the train this evening and finish off with a bottle of wine.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Two days in a row of headwind to work commutes. Not happy.
singlespeedscott

Postby poohkies » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:15 am

Kenmore To Brisbane Airport,

great ride again, think i'm going to keep this route for the timing being, got to work in an 1hour and 4 mins, and up to 28 av so pretty happy, bit chilli, last 30 metres of commute a massive rat ran out in front of me, scared the crap out of me!
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:40 am

poohkies wrote:Kenmore To Brisbane Airport,

great ride again, think i'm going to keep this route for the timing being, got to work in an 1hour and 4 mins, and up to 28 av so pretty happy, bit chilli, last 30 metres of commute a massive rat ran out in front of me, scared the crap out of me!

have seen snakes on the western fwy bikeway
jasonc

Postby westab » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:04 am

Last ride in to work for the year - was realy nice. Lots of people out and about on the shared path I use to get to work, enjoying the cooler morning temps. before it heats up later in the day.

It is forecast to get to 43 deg. this afternoon so the extra bottle went into the pannier for the ride home. Will probably do the same for the last commute for the year tomorrow to Little A's - probable going to be a stinker then as well. Have a good Christmas everyone. 8)
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby TailWind » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:21 am

Steaming hot yesterday afternoon in Melbourne at around 40C, so I took it easy for the ride back. Had to stop at the post office to collect a very important parcel (malted grain :D ) that Aus Post failed to leave at my door. So that added another 6kg to my load, but thankfully the PO is only about 2km from home. I think I must have left a puddle of sweat while waiting in the queue at the PO, felt like I was melting - on the bike the wind helps with the cooling, but once off the bike the heat really becomes apparent.

Longer ride in again this morning, sightings included another couple of fox cubs, but this time further down the Darebin Creek Trail near Northland.
Also had another cyclist pass me heading in the opposite direction, that's a rare occurrence indeed at 4:30am on the trail.

For those finishing up work for the year today - Happy Holidays!
And for the rest of us....Happy Friday! :D
TailWind

Postby poohkies » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 pm

well pushed bloody hard on the way home, tried to go through city instead of waterfront and well seems the light gods where against me, i then got lost in qut and couldn't find how to get down the bike path, ended up using a lift, totally killed my av, was hammering over 30 till that point :(

might try to do the river loop in the morning
poohkies

Postby nickobec » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:19 pm

First commute of the week (raced Sun, Tues, Wed) with a 30kph ESE, I head due north so crosswind.

Didn't push enough power out, only 180W along PSP instead of 200+, still got decent speed. Got to Canning Bridge, wind felt more SE, so did a 7min VO2max session, died in last minute. Had a rider stuck to my wheel for 5km (AT) 42kph.
nickobec

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting