How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:39 am

Back on topic :)...got my rear wheel back from the shop yesterday, spokes all fixed. Thought about doing it myself but given the cost it was much cheaper for me to get the bike shop to do it.

This morning was very overcast but warm, supposedly 21 degrees at 5:30am. I forgot to charge the go pro's over night so risked riding without coverage...I now feel "naked" without the cameras rolling when riding. The ride was a good one, incident free but a slight struggle due to a headwind the entire way.

Given the recent overall time off the bike, the commute was really enjoyable.
gretaboy

by BNA » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am

BNA

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am

I have had an astounding run of bad luck...First I got a flue despite the flue shot. Then I went on leave for four weeks overseas, then fell over when working on my roof and twisted my ankle, and just to make life really simple for commuting I had a run of appointments prior to Christmas most everyday meaning I needed to take the smokebox to work. Effectively, despite loving to be able to do so, I hadnt ridden my bike since October until this week.

I rode on Monday. It nearly beat me. I was sore, stiff and effectively speed was limited to about 13 kmph, really quick...not. Considering 12 months ago i was averaging 20 tells you how badly I had deteriated. However, I had a chat with myself and explained to me I am not a big girls blouse and whilst that wasnt too quick, what can you expect when you suddenly jump off with a ride like my commute? So I did it again this morning.

Besides forgetting my work pants, my drink etc, I actually did much better. I took it easier on myself than Monday but my speed was greater, still not good, but still bettera.

Looking forward to a new year and my commitment to move from 2-3 rides a week (when well etc) to more like 10 to 12.
dynamictiger

Postby alexander » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much DynamicTiger, it's good to get back in the saddle, and you'll be doing your old numbers in no time.

Melbourne:

Wasn't feeling it this morning, had a few beers last night and woke up with the worlds driest mouth. Urgh. Donned the jersey and shorts any way. Best part of the ride was I got to try out my new shoes, Shimano XC90's essentially a MTB shoe thats as stiff as a Road shoe. Definitely felt more power, and also my feet weren't used to such a stiff sole and they cramped a little.

Light winds made the trip slightly harder. Still managed a very respectable time. Cooled down a lot quicker than usual, must be getting fitter. Also noted that my conti gatorskins have collected some glass shards (picked them out), nothing thats flatted, but two weeks ago there was not a mark on them.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Perth:

First proper ride for the year. Waeather was mild, though it did feel al ittle chilly on my ears for a while. I'm afraid that anything in Perth less than 20 degrees feels that way in summer.

More people getting back into the swing of it.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:40 pm

hot
singlespeedscott

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Perth:

Smokey. but the conditions were still pretty good. Feeling nice and refreshed and alive. Roll on summer.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:58 am

well that was humid. garmin said 28 degrees for most of the way in. welcome back for 2014.
jasonc

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:35 am

My ride this morning was a gentle one..raced yesterday so this morning was a recovery ride of sorts.

Had some fog early on in the ride but then it started to warm up nicely...all up a very enjoyable ride
gretaboy

Postby Hamster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 am

This morning was certainly warm and sticky and there was a bit more traffic. My longer commute is working out ok, tiring but that’s only to be expected plus the exercise won’t do me a lot of harm. My total distance for 2014 is now 235 kms which for a horizontally challenged (fat), bald, grumpy old man isn’t too bad.

So far for 2014 I’ve saved myself $42.30 in fares which for a normal week costs $63.45 at that rate it won’t take long to justify some upgrades to the bike.

My front Tannus tyre just ticked over 8,000 kms and is looking decidedly worn, I suspect that it only has another 2,000 kms in it before replacement.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21 am

Hamster wrote:My front Tannus tyre just ticked over 8,000 kms and is looking decidedly worn, I suspect that it only has another 2,000 kms in it before replacement.

front? my marathon plus is still going 13000kms
jasonc

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am

jasonc wrote:
Hamster wrote:My front Tannus tyre just ticked over 8,000 kms and is looking decidedly worn, I suspect that it only has another 2,000 kms in it before replacement.

And what do you weigh? My tyres dont last me more than twelve months gentle twice a week riding.
dynamictiger

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:43 am

dynamictiger wrote:
jasonc wrote:

And what do you weigh? My tyres dont last me more than twelve months gentle twice a week riding.

just over 80kgs
jasonc

Postby Hamster » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

jasonc wrote:

And what do you weigh? My tyres dont last me more than twelve months gentle twice a week riding.[/quote]
just over 80kgs[/quote]

Shall we say that mine are carrying significantly more than 80kg :lol: .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 am

Hamster wrote:Shall we say that mine are carrying significantly more than 80kg :lol: .

well with a backpack mine would be too...
jasonc

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:24 pm

I weigh near twice 80 kgs and probably do weigh very close to twice 80 kgs when I am loaded up with gear.

My tyres dont last long at all.
dynamictiger

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Back to reality today- first commute of the year after 2 weeks of pleasure riding. Had to drop the car off for servicing (no change in km's) with a different route required. Did the death run down Wanneroo Rd then Main Street for the NoR Perthies this is equivalent to poking a thirsty grumpy cornered king brown snake with a short blunt stick.
Hope it doesn't take too long to readjust to the twice daily commutes
CXCommuter

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm

First day back at work. Very quiet commute in. Dark at 5:30am, so I saw the sunrise.
Tradies clearly not back at work yet as no trucks/utes/vans flying past me on their way for Maccas.
Almost zero traffic on the Pacific Highway into Nth Sydney.
I'll be enjoying the next few weeks because once school goes back it will be back to normal on the roads.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby TailWind » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 pm

jasonc wrote:well that was humid. garmin said 28 degrees for most of the way in. welcome back for 2014.

Well, turns out I was back briefly last week, but am now in Perth (well actually south of Perth in Secret Harbour) for the week. Working remotely, but needed to spend some time with the family, so hopped on a plane this morning.
Won't be riding much, just through to the beach with the kiddos, and to the pub :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm

queequeg wrote:First day back at work. Very quiet commute in. Dark at 5:30am, so I saw the sunrise.

This. Nice ride in though.

I didn't commute as much as would have liked last year because it's too easy to make excuses about cold,windy weather. I'm going to try hard this year. :D
DaveOZ

Postby Robinho » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:40 pm

1st ride back for 2 and a bit weeks, and i havent exactly been conditioning myself over the break, so it was a bit of a shock to the system. a lot of cyclists out this morning though, looks like resolution time out there
Robinho

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:35 pm

beat the storm home. good decision by a workmate to leave early otherwise i'd still be there for another hour (rain i don't have a problem with, it's the lightning)
jasonc

Postby turtle rider » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Back to work today and done my first ride in approx 8km pretty flat each way trip. 33 degree's on the way home with a tail breeze. I was surprised how pleasant and easy it was .
turtle rider

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:29 pm

turtle rider wrote:Back to work today and done my first ride in approx 8km pretty flat each way trip. 33 degree's on the way home with a tail breeze. I was surprised how pleasant and easy it was .

enjoy the tail winds when you have them
jasonc

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Back to work after 12 days off. Looks like the howling Southerly gales I've been riding into for the last few months haven't gone :( 50KMh winds in my face on the way home. I really am sick of the wind.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Had to leave early to pick up the car after the service- rather hot in Perth- 36 degrees at 4:30 on the Garmin. Thankfully a south westerly so a helping hand in the heat.
CXCommuter

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting