How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TailWind

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:09 am

Hot with a northerly headwind for the ride back yesterday afternoon. Not as bad as last week, but 37C still made it a sweaty endeavour.
Very windy this morning with wet roads and drizzle in places. The wind was against me, so that makes it three headwind rides in a row. Hoping it stays S/W for the ride home later.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 am

Great story, Rhubard!

I must apologise to everyone in Melbourne - I cleaned my chain last night... And yes, it was the first time I'd lubed and cleaned it since I started back at work three weeks ago (when it got a service). Hadn't rained on any of my commutes in those 3 weeks. *sighs*

Saw a guy walking his bike along the footpath on Albert St, East Melbourne this morning with a clearly flat rear tyre. I asked him whether he needed a spare tube, but he was running 38s and my spare is for a 23. And he declined a tube patch. Ah well. It was the thought that counts, right?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 am

Summernight wrote:It was the thought that counts, right?
Yes

and just in case anyone asks, the bus sucks.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 am

Summernight wrote:Great story, Rhubard!

I must apologise to everyone in Melbourne - I cleaned my chain last night... And yes, it was the first time I'd lubed and cleaned it since I started back at work three weeks ago (when it got a service). Hadn't rained on any of my commutes in those 3 weeks. *sighs*

Saw a guy walking his bike along the footpath on Albert St, East Melbourne this morning with a clearly flat rear tyre. I asked him whether he needed a spare tube, but he was running 38s and my spare is for a 23. And he declined a tube patch. Ah well. It was the thought that counts, right?
So it was your fault!

I had my bike set up for road riding today, decided I couldn't be bothered changing over to the wet weather tyres for the day so I got the train in.

Also, I didn't sleep the best last night, so riding in with a foggy head wouldn't have been a good idea.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 am

Put shiny new SPD pedals on my 29er last night, unboxed and made "oooh, ahhh" noises at the shiny new shoes to go with them.. Gave them their first run this morning on the ride in, decided to extend my usual 15km from home to bullcreek and do the full 30km from home to the office - Good idea :) :) Very pleasant ride, and have to say the stretch from bull creek to city is much easier than the stretch from home to bull creek haha. Just need to figure out the best (read: least hilly hah) way to my office on adelaide tce.

Was mighty disappointed though when I started wondering how my avg speed would compare over the 30km to my usual 15km, and realised that I had forgotten to start strava... If a ride isn't logged, DID IT EVEN HAPPEN!?!?

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:45 am

WarbyD wrote:If a ride isn't logged, DID IT EVEN HAPPEN!?!?
Just do it again mate :D

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:51 am

WarbyD wrote:Was mighty disappointed though when I started wondering how my avg speed would compare over the 30km to my usual 15km, and realised that I had forgotten to start strava... If a ride isn't logged, DID IT EVEN HAPPEN!?!?
I had a similar issue the other night. I remembered to start Strava, got home and discovered that my phone had a hissy fit about 8 kms into my ride and lost GPS data. :(
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:04 am

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:Wife road home Jason, what's your excuse :p
i'm soft. fine. 100mm of rain in less than 12 hours is my limit.
Heh. We call that drizzle up here :mrgreen:

Having said that, the wet has been pretty dry up this way, but still had a couple of epic drenchings coinciding with commute time so far this year. Including yesterday. I'm not too fussed by the rain, makes for a cooler ride in the afternoons.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

oxonabike wrote:
jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:Wife road home Jason, what's your excuse :p
i'm soft. fine. 100mm of rain in less than 12 hours is my limit.
Heh. We call that drizzle up here :mrgreen:

Having said that, the wet has been pretty dry up this way, but still had a couple of epic drenchings coinciding with commute time so far this year. Including yesterday. I'm not too fussed by the rain, makes for a cooler ride in the afternoons.
rain doesn't bother me. it was the flooded roads

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 am

Such a pleasant change in the temperature this morning...Unfortunately accompanied by a bit of a breeze which of course was against me all the way, its probably behind the city commuters. A bit of breeze doesnt bother me that much, except I more resemble a sail than a match. Still made slight improvement on my average speed since returning to this passtime, just slow, not bloody slow like usual. I have a feeling I am going to replicate my youth wandering around mountains and find I am steady and slow, but you can load me up with any weight and I can keep the same pace going.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:29 am

A nice ride to work this morning with a few cyclists out riding. I actually got to ride with a small group for a little while. What a novelty.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:29 am

My commutes are always good. Here's a quick video from my commute home yesterday.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:28 am

That thing's a rocket, rhubarb :) Lots of silly commuter racing points for you there ;)

How do you go on the hot days?

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 am

What do you expect? It's a red one!
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Razorwolf

Postby Razorwolf » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 am

That thing looks mad Rhubarb. I want one!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:21 am

Kemore to Airport

lovely cool morning, nice ride, till i got to the city, stopped at a set of lights as i rode of felt something on my leg look down OMGosh SPIDER THE SIZE OF MY HAND SCREAMED nearly crashed got of pulled my bag shirt helmet trying to find the little F ! $ Ker , after about 5 mins of searching continued on my way!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 am

Just a short update on Gretaboy...he is currently in the spinal unit at RNS Hospital in bed 5 Ward 7E.There has been some improvement in his condition and yesterday was the first day since the accident that he was able to eat anything. Currently has no feeling in his right leg and right hand but we are still hopefully. Pls feel free to visit anytime btw 11am and 9pm, I'm sure he would welcome a friendly chat to break up the boredom and distract him from what he's going through.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:10 am

gretaboy wrote:Just a short update on Gretaboy...he is currently in the spinal unit at RNS Hospital in bed 5 Ward 7E.There has been some improvement in his condition and yesterday was the first day since the accident that he was able to eat anything. Currently has no feeling in his right leg and right hand but we are still hopefully. Pls feel free to visit anytime btw 11am and 9pm, I'm sure he would welcome a friendly chat to break up the boredom and distract him from what he's going through.
Thanks Mrs Gretaboy for the update.
Please send him my best wishes when you see him!
Gero.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:04 am

+1 thanks for the update

annual leave for me this week, no commuting

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 am

Rhubarb wrote:My commutes are always good. Here's a quick video from my commute home yesterday.

That was wicked :) love watching your videos, you stopped at a set of light with wife and me at Sylant road a few weeks ago, the speed you accelerated away from us was insane

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 am

gretaboy wrote:Just a short update on Gretaboy...he is currently in the spinal unit at RNS Hospital in bed 5 Ward 7E.There has been some improvement in his condition and yesterday was the first day since the accident that he was able to eat anything. Currently has no feeling in his right leg and right hand but we are still hopefully. Pls feel free to visit anytime btw 11am and 9pm, I'm sure he would welcome a friendly chat to break up the boredom and distract him from what he's going through.
Wow - this is terrible news :-(

Please pass on our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:44 am

trailgumby wrote:That thing's a rocket, rhubarb :) Lots of silly commuter racing points for you there ;)

How do you go on the hot days?

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
Hot days are no worse than riding a DF bike, sometimes actually better since it shades you from the sun.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:05 am

poohkies wrote: That was wicked :) love watching your videos, you stopped at a set of light with wife and me at Sylant road a few weeks ago, the speed you accelerated away from us was insane
Yeah - The drag from the lights at Sylvan Road is always fun :-D

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:17 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Wow - this is terrible news :-(

Please pass on our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
So I've just read back a few pages and this sounds quite serious, so I'm guessing this won't be a speedy recovery but I certainly hope it becomes a full and complete recovery for you Gretaboy.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:25 am

poohkies wrote:Kemore to Airport

lovely cool morning, nice ride, till i got to the city, stopped at a set of lights as i rode of felt something on my leg look down OMGosh SPIDER THE SIZE OF MY HAND SCREAMED nearly crashed got of pulled my bag shirt helmet trying to find the little F ! $ Ker , after about 5 mins of searching continued on my way!
Had a good chuckle over this at your expense :mrgreen: - sorry.
Know exactly how you feel. I've ridden into a web spun across a path lined with bushes and trees, and the little beastie was right in the middle. Hit me in the chest. Queue emergency braking, leaped off bike and danced around, frantically brushing myself off. Continued on eventually but kept on imagining tickling sensations for the rest of the ride...brrrrr.