How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Paul 1965 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:16 am

jasonc wrote:reminded me of melbourne weather on my commute this morning - dry then rain then sunshine (with a rainbow)
That's Sydney and Brisbane weather,Melbourne,s is VERY HOT and DRY.
Paul 1965

by BNA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 am

BNA

Postby Razorwolf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 am

poohkies wrote:
Razorwolf wrote:I'm about to hop on a bike and ride 20km home in 28 degrees so not too bad, plus I usually jump into the pool when I get home. Looking forward to the pool!

33 going up cootha :(

Bad luck dude! How was it though?
I did Cootha on Tuesday arvo, rewarded myself with a couple 150 lashes at the top :D

There was a guy on an electric peddle assist on the way home yesterday so I drafted him for a good 5km. Gees it makes commuting so much easier in a headwind when you can draft someone.
Razorwolf

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

About to head out into PEEEEERFECT weather. Around 20 and heading to 33. Breeze forecast to come behind. Eat your hearts out eastern states. 8)

You can take QLD/Brisbane out of that - it's perfect temperature up here at the moment too

I thought I already had by virtue of not specifying Queensland - Your Queenslanders, not to be bundled with or confused with anyone else. :D (A bit like Snadgropers.)
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:36 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
jasonc wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

About to head out into PEEEEERFECT weather. Around 20 and heading to 33. Breeze forecast to come behind. Eat your hearts out eastern states. 8)

You can take QLD/Brisbane out of that - it's perfect temperature up here at the moment too

I thought I already had by virtue of not specifying Queensland - Your Queenslanders, not to be bundled with or confused with anyone else. :D (A bit like Snadgropers.)

phew. I was born in Melbourne, like half the people up here anyway.
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Brisbane born and raised Yieewwwwwwww :)
Lukeyboy

Postby turtle rider » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Managed to ride in everyday this week, 38 degree ride on way home 13km . I ditched the kmart bike in favour of the RFA today and yesterday as it's an easier and faster trip compared to the kmart ride.
turtle rider

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Perth:

It's hot outside in Perth today (where isn't it?) but great riding conditions anyway.

Came across a few riders I am familiar with, changed my mind about the coffee at Deep Water point. I was greeted with "It'll be 20 minute dalay, it that's OK" - I've learned that their estimates are just an excuse for a far longer delay so, instead, I saved the break for the little place at the end of Coode Street.

After taking the long way around, I stopped at Sassys for the usual ten minute workout outside (shoulder circles, flutter kicks, leg raises, butt raises, situps, and arches) before having my usual coffee etc while I read the paper.

Headed around the river before heading into the CBD where I dipped into the Forest Chase fountains. Bought an icy lemon slushy. Tolerated briefly some annoying bullying twerp who was loudly and offensively trying to elicit a fight from some guy that was sitting with his girlfriend trying not to encoiurage him. I got up and told him, in equally offensive terms, to please be my friend - he was the most cowed bully I have seen in a long time as it only took some pensioner in lycra scare him off. (I hate bullies - To me bullies are those people who want to pick fights with people who are either physically at a disadvantage or people who would rather avoid a fight at all costs -which is most of us. Typically not willing to confront anyone else).

Got home and settled down for a freezing cold ginger beer and now I looking for another. :D
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby gretaboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi there this is gretaboys wife here. Just informing you that gretaboys commute to work on thursday morning ended very badly. He was hit by a 4wd in Bersefield and sustained serious head and spin fractures. It was touch and go there for a while but currently in a stable condition in ICU. Unfortunately gretaboy has sustained a spinal cord injury. Surgery was required to fuse his neck fractures so there would be no further damage sustained to his spinal cord. Next step after things settle is rehab at RNS. The future at this stage is uncertain.
gretaboy

Postby hudnut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Bugger.

Double bugger.

Thoughts are with you.
hudnut

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Fark me. Really sucks to hear about that. My thoughts go out for you, gretaboy and your family.
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:06 pm

PLEASE pass on our thoughts to gretaboy. And please keep us updated
jasonc

Postby Robinho » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:42 pm

No words, I just hope he is able to recover, thoughts with you guys
Robinho

Postby am50em » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
From Sydney cyclist forum:
"I am informed by a reliable source that an unregistered car was pulled up by the police the night before. They made the driver leave the car in the breakdown lane rather than move it off the road, which I am told the driver wanted to do. The cyclist clipped the car in the breakdown lane and veered into the path of the car which hit him. The car owner registered the car overnight and returned to pick it up the next day, only to discover the carnage."

Sigh.
am50em

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:49 pm

am50em wrote:Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
From Sydney cyclist forum:
"I am informed by a reliable source that an unregistered car was pulled up by the police the night before. They made the driver leave the car in the breakdown lane rather than move it off the road, which I am told the driver wanted to do. The cyclist clipped the car in the breakdown lane and veered into the path of the car which hit him. The car owner registered the car overnight and returned to pick it up the next day, only to discover the carnage."

Sigh.

X 2. Very sorry to hear this. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Just awful news. Hoping the rehab & recovery go well. Let us know when he makes it to RNS & is ready for visitors
find_bruce

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:50 pm

jasonc wrote:PLEASE pass on our thoughts to gretaboy. And please keep us updated

+1
I hope things go well.... For Gretaboy, wife and family,
Thinking of you,
Andrew
gabrielle260

Postby DavidS » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:28 am

Geez, hope Gretaboy will be ok. Looks like a long rehab by the sound of it. Best wishes and get well mate.

Let's all be careful out there.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby TailWind » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am

gretaboy wrote:Hi there this is gretaboys wife here. Just informing you that gretaboys commute to work on thursday morning ended very badly.

Oh no, oh no! Words fail me.
Devastating news. My thoughts are with you and gretaboy, and I wish you and gretaboy and family all the strength and positive energy to pull through this.
gretaboy is determined and fit and I am sure he'll do his utmost to achieve a full recovery. Please send him my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gero.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 am

Oh crap. :-(
All strength to the gretaboy clan, prayers for a swift recovery.

Tapatalk did this...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby cowled » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:38 am

gretaboy wrote:Hi there this is gretaboys wife here. Just informing you that gretaboys commute to work on thursday morning ended very badly. He was hit by a 4wd in Bersefield and sustained serious head and spin fractures. It was touch and go there for a while but currently in a stable condition in ICU. Unfortunately gretaboy has sustained a spinal cord injury. Surgery was required to fuse his neck fractures so there would be no further damage sustained to his spinal cord. Next step after things settle is rehab at RNS. The future at this stage is uncertain.

I am so very sorry to hear about this tragedy. I add my best wishes to everyone else's and hope that you and your family are strong enough to cope with the recovery process. One day at a time. Heal well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cowled

Postby gretaboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. Not much has changed since last post . Still in ICU and in a lot of pain
gretaboy

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:54 am

Please tell him I'll do my best to hold TW away from P1 on the endomondo commuter challenge. hopefully that'll give him a smile
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:17 pm

gretaboy wrote:Hi there this is gretaboys wife here. Just informing you that gretaboys commute to work on thursday morning ended very badly. He was hit by a 4wd in Bersefield and sustained serious head and spin fractures. It was touch and go there for a while but currently in a stable condition in ICU. Unfortunately gretaboy has sustained a spinal cord injury. Surgery was required to fuse his neck fractures so there would be no further damage sustained to his spinal cord. Next step after things settle is rehab at RNS. The future at this stage is uncertain.

I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news, very scary thing to happen, thoughts and wishes are with you and your family
poohkies

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Greetings Commuters, it's been a long time since I last checked in. I started a new job waaay on the other side of town a fortnight ago, and my commute is now 31km each way instead of 20. I managed to ride 3.5 days in the first week, and 3.5 days last week (it was 40 degrees most days, and I'm still carrying 5kg extra from Christmas wine and pudding). I'm loving the extra ride in the mornings, but the heat during the afternoons last week was brutal. I'm gonna be so pleased to get used to this commute. It's just what I needed to inspire me to commit to ride more. This week I'm aiming for five days.
Being Canberra, I can stay on the paths for up to 3/4 of the ride, which is good as Canberra roads tend to be a sea of broken beer & alcopop bottles during Spring and Summer. One arvo last week I was riding on someone else's wheel and rode over an old steel laundry tap handle which I didn't see (and the other rider didn't point out). Fortunately it only caused a pinch flat, but that sized debris can cause a crash or buckled rim.
Last edited by Fletcher on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:54 pm

OMGosh, that is terrible news. I wish Gretaboy and yourself all the best for rehab and recovery. He's very fortunate to have you there to help during such a difficult time.
Les
Fletcher

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting