How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Oops, don't mind me ...
Last edited by Lizzy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

by BNA » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 pm

BNA

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:stupid fan stupid being tall, or just don't put your hand in a fan

i spilt my water everywhere reading that. I put my hand in fans on purpose, all the time

hope it didn't hit the keyboard :P and you different jason, I dont like fans at all :P
poohkies

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:29 pm

Youngest's first day at school today- took the morning off to see him off- he didn't care- told us to leave. Main reason was to give Moral Support to the missus- don't want her to start drinking goon juice alone hwilst the kids are at school :roll:

Anyway left at 11:00- my god it was hot- arrived at work people thought I had seen a ghost I had gone past the red phase to the white flushed phase and I was stuffed and a bit sick in the gut also. 1 cool shower and some liquids (not beer!!) helped me to recover.
CXCommuter

Postby alexander » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:46 am

Melbourne: Cool, 15º Almost no wind, 0-5km per hour SE. 7:10 am Footscray to CBD

Not many people about this morning, which was odd, super day to commute. Maybe it was that I left 5 minutes early and that provided the gap in peoples leaving times?

Lovely sunshine, and hardly anyone about. Standard time this morning, and 10-3 in CCR, but again these were jumpers. So it's 10-0 in my book.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am

This morning was deflating in preparation. Things didn't go right and cost time leaving only time for the direct commute, not any extension.

But, good tailwind and fresh legs combined to a commute PB which even included some minor delays from a couple of cars and the boom gate at work - precious seconds :o. Only a third PB on the Strava segment on the way in, meaning I didn't slack off after it finished. The Strava PB was with a 'better' tailwind.
Last edited by bychosis on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby TonyMax » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 am

Lovely cool morning for a ride this morning, a bunch of PRs but the lap of the lake I did after my normal commute was slower than I thought it would be.

Oh well, it was still a lovely morning for a ride.

This was the first commute I've done without music in the headphones, it was more pleasant than I thought it would be.

Also my first time using the road shoes instead of the MTB shoes, I think I noticed a difference, even if I didn't they were no worse and at least now I have a pair of shoes for each bike (one for home and one for work) so I'm not limited to only riding when I've remembered to have my shoes in the same place I am.
TonyMax

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 am

Dry but a bit cold commute for me this morning. As usual, I took the short route but push harder. Strava awarded me a KOM on a fairly unpopular segment. Average commute speed is also 3 kph up - that 10km run yesterday helps freshen up legs.
rheicel

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:46 am

rheicel wrote:Dry but a bit cold commute for me this morning. As usual, I took the short route but push harder. Strava awarded me a KOM on a fairly unpopular segment. Average commute speed is also 3 kph up - that 10km run yesterday helps freshen up legs.

You're a sick man rheicel, what's this running mularky. Don't you realise that running is a gateway activity, soon you will be swimming & then gasp, triathlons. Repent now before it is too late :mrgreen:
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby rheicel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

find_bruce wrote:You're a sick man rheicel, what's this running mularky. Don't you realise that running is a gateway activity, soon you will be swimming & then gasp, triathlons. Repent now before it is too late :mrgreen:

Just trying to justify to my wife the existence of my new snickers :D
I am the worst swimmer ever, and can only do frog-like swim, so we can rule out the triathlons. :mrgreen:
Ouch, my leg hurts :-(
rheicel

Postby 17sjs » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am

First commute this year, only my second time commuting as opposed to recreational riding along a similar route. Pretty uneventful 39kms at 26km/h which I was happy with, however a close pass prompted this sent off to Translink;

"I cycle from Ipswich to Fortitude Valley when commuting, and have never previously felt a need to make formal complaint. However, this morning when riding east along Brisbane Terrace at Goodna, a green Translink bus has overtaken me within half a metre, despite me doing over 30km/h and as far left in the lane as practical, broken centre lines and absolutely no oncoming traffic. Unfortunately I was unable to get the licence plate number due to another car following behind it (who managed to overtake me with plenty of space) and there was no route number display on the back of the bus. I doubt there would be many buses following that route at that specific time of morning though - the bus turned off Brisbane Tce into Layard St at 6:23am, possibly bound for a stop at Goodna Station. Could you please advise of your action to identify and educate this driver on their professional responsibilities, or who I should contact directly to escalate this?"
17sjs

Postby WarbyD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 am

Nice ride in today.. Changed out the 29x2.1" Kenda Small Block-8 tyres last night for 700x38c Schwalbe Marathon "Original" Greenguard tyres.. MUCH smoother ride this morning, felt alot faster but according to strava average speed was only up 1-2km/h and travel time down about 5 minutes (29.8km, 1:06:51 (AT) 26.6km/h)

Noticed a huge difference on the smaller uphill sections.. where previously even the slightest incline was noticable, this morning on the marathons I found that it carried speed into the slight inclines much better and didn't require so much effort to maintain.
WarbyD

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:25 am

Rode back via my hilly route: MYT, Banyule Trail, Greensborough Highway path then across Bundoora and onwards. Very windy and blustery with some mean crosswinds.
Had a group of 4 lady walkers walking 4 abreast along the gravel section of the MYT, and I dinged my bell from a reasonable distance. The outer two ladies moved further towards the edge of the path, but the inner two did the headless chook thing. The one on the right moved to the left, the one on the left moved to the right. Comically confused. Eventually I had to ride through the middle. There was other bike traffic too, so they should have figured things out by now.

Calmer this morning, nice and speedy ride in. Would have been a great time had I not been held up by a slow delivery truck heading down Collins St.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:42 am

local commute kenmore

took the honzo to see how my hand would go, did 8km's road with my 3 year old to day care (very proud every time she rides) road to taylor cycles , road to woolies to get some milk and bread and a lemon (for sick wife) nice little 8km local blat, will give commuting to work ago this arvo
poohkies

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:48 pm

I had a good run from Gymea to Rhodes this morning. 1hr 16 minutes door to door, which is faster than I can drive it normally.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby eldavo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Youngest's first day at school today- took the morning off to see him off- he didn't care- told us to leave. Main reason was to give Moral Support to the missus- don't want her to start drinking goon juice alone hwilst the kids are at school :roll:

Our eldest's first day of kindy at the school, sounds similar she read a book with Mum, asked where the toilet was and told Mum she could go now thankyou. Called me after it finished to tell me she made a new friend and had a great time :) Her younger only sibling was 2 on Monday, we celebrated Sunday with my boy's first bike, a Giant Pre Push.

I was up leaving an hour early Monday morning on his actual birthday. 95psi in rear tyre so topped it up, had the Presta valve core unscrew with the Lezyne screw on attachment. Instant flat, and wouldn't seal again when screwing the core back in. Replace the tube, get to work, find the tyre is flat in the afternoon, a pinch from my impatience using a tyre lever. Patch it with Lezyne patch. I've had them blow at high pressure, but felt this was an easy good seal, tube on the rim, I'll be confident. Go over 100psi and it blows the patch =P Replace the tube, fit tyre without lever just gloves on hands and lots of effort, this rim is deep. (Carrying two given the morning's luck). Make it out to Freo, then to Hillarys, home, work next day, home from work.
Sitting in lounge last night the tube suddenly lets go ~10:30pm, instant total flat. Yet to open and diagnose, I was working on another bike last night, but not quite ready, shifting not right across all gears until cable is tensioned up to lose 2 gears, I think it's time to fit the new cables. Give up on that one ~12:30pm after extensive testing up and down the street, take my Hooligan out that was ready to roll, swap luggage and light over, carefully top up tyres =P 4hrs sleep a bit seedy, hit the Vitamin C and Berocca for placebo wishful thinking, kept to upper edge of comfort zone for first half ride with a similar paced road bike rider, took the smoother option at Hutton St. and leapfrogged him. Suddenly I felt knackered without someone who looked faster around to make the pace feel faster. I didn't see him again though, more mental trickery I think.
eldavo

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:52 pm

a drizzly commute home. got a mate commuting today for the first time ever. before today he'd done a total of 1km on the bike - he did just shy of 20kms this morning. he's going to be a bit sore tomorrow
jasonc

Postby jools » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Discovered a very effective ccr defense mechanism - BO!

No, not mine - I was trailing another cyclist, at least 50m behind in a strong crosswind and the stench was bad. He was travelling at a similar pace to me and I caught up to him at lights but didn't get much of a chance to get the jump on him and get in front. Once he was on the move it was just impossible to breathe anywhere near him so I just backed off to a more leisurely pace and enjoyed the scenery for a change.

The look on people's faces as he rode past was priceless - one poor lady looked like she was going to gag..
jools

Postby WarbyD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Had a meeting in subiaco at end of the day today so parked the bike at subiaco train station and rode from there to bullcreek where the wife picked me up in car as we're heading to her grandparents place for dinner... Didn't bring me a change of clothes though so I'm having dinner in sweaty bike clothes -.-

Had no idea really which way to go to get from subiaco train station onto the psp, ended up going down Thomas St to UWA and around the river to the narrows. Pretty sure it wasn't the most efficient way... Ride to bullcreek ended up being 22 damned slow windy km

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby 17sjs » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:52 pm

That sucked.

39kms, 20 of it with rain and straight into a 20km/h headwind. Gah.
17sjs

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:02 pm

17sjs wrote:That sucked.

yeah that headwind was unpleasant - I only got a little bit of rain, mostly drizzle.
jasonc

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

jools wrote:Discovered a very effective ccr defense mechanism - BO!

No, not mine - I was trailing another cyclist, at least 50m behind in a strong crosswind and the stench was bad. He was travelling at a similar pace to me and I caught up to him at lights but didn't get much of a chance to get the jump on him and get in front. Once he was on the move it was just impossible to breathe anywhere near him so I just backed off to a more leisurely pace and enjoyed the scenery for a change.

The look on people's faces as he rode past was priceless - one poor lady looked like she was going to gag..

YUK!!!!!!
You have to feel sorry for the poor bugger!
My commute home tonight was into a headwind the whole way - a real pain!
Andrew
gabrielle260

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

commute Kenmore to Airport 5pm

was nice drizzle till i got to Breakie Creek :( then really started to rain, other than that, started my protins today! hopefully i get improvements in recovery etc

bad side to the rain, is i don't finish till 1:30am and my clothes shoes etc will be soaked still :(
poohkies

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:33 pm

jasonc wrote:
17sjs wrote:That sucked.

yeah that headwind was unpleasant - I only got a little bit of rain, mostly drizzle.

I was outbound on the Bicentennial just as the heavy rain and winds sqauls hit. Punching into horizontal rain at nearly 40km/hr in my velomobile was awesome, although it really was starting to sting my face. Because the rain was horizontal, and my shoulders sit underneath the lip of the shell, my shirt stayed completely dry !!!! Funny to be riding fast and dry, when everyone else was pulling up seeking shelter under the Go Between bridge etc.

My smugness was punished a little further up though when I broke a link in my chain and had to walk the velomobile the last 5kms home ... :-( Serves me right hey ;-)
Rhubarb

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
I was outbound on the Bicentennial just as the heavy rain and winds sqauls hit. Punching into horizontal rain at nearly 40km/hr in my velomobile was awesome, although it really was starting to sting my face. Because the rain was horizontal, and my shoulders sit underneath the lip of the shell, my shirt stayed completely dry !!!! Funny to be riding fast and dry, when everyone else was pulling up seeking shelter under the Go Between bridge etc.

My smugness was punished a little further up though when I broke a link in my chain and had to walk the velomobile the last 5kms home ... :-( Serves me right hey ;-)

I passed you as you as I was heading in bound you where heading down the first hill out bound from Bicentennial gardens!
poohkies

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Rhubarb wrote:when everyone else was pulling up seeking shelter under the Go Between bridge etc.

Wusses! :P
Lukeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting