How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby tubby74 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:13 am

find_bruce wrote:Left a bit late today & got caught up in school kid drop off madness. At least today there was a council ranger there to book people who thought they could park in the no stopping zone before the pedestrian crossing. Other dishonourable mentions go to the SUV driver who launched over the footpath to do a u turn & the driver who was going to park in my driveway until she saw me glaring at her. The worst part is these morons will be teaching the next generation of "safe and considerate" drivers :roll:

wish our council rangers would do that. We've got a setup with 2 car drop off zone, no stopping, crossing, driveway, bus stop then two more drop off spots. The far drop off spots are always empty and the no stopping on the approach to the crossing have heaps of cars. Even council garbage trucks use it, though I can't figure out why as there's no bins there to be collected. if you have to stop do it on the departure side at least.
tubby74

by BNA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 am

BNA

Postby rheicel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 am

Nice cool morning commute with a very light drizzle to cool all the commuters.
I also wonder why all cyclist and pedestrians are all looking my bike while waiting for the green at the stop lights. Its not the bike, its the....
rheicel

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:34 am

kb wrote:
Summernight wrote:As requested - footage from the morning of the 6th when the poor guy went OTB. I have no idea what caused it as I can't really see anything in the bike lane to have done that - and I'd just ridden the same area a few seconds before

Obviously ran out of legs trying to catch up to you again :-)

bizarre - absolutely nothing there on the road. didn't try putting extra power down. maybe practicing for the winter olympics with a front flip?

rheicel wrote:Nice cool morning commute with a very light drizzle to cool all the commuters.
I also wonder why all cyclist and pedestrians are all looking my bike while waiting for the green at the stop lights. Its not the bike, its the....

dumb cyclist thread for you sir

first day riding spd-sl cleats. unclipping is fine. clipping in is f@#$
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:49 am

jasonc wrote:
kb wrote:
Summernight wrote:As requested - footage from the morning of the 6th when the poor guy went OTB. I have no idea what caused it as I can't really see anything in the bike lane to have done that - and I'd just ridden the same area a few seconds before

Obviously ran out of legs trying to catch up to you again :-)

bizarre - absolutely nothing there on the road. didn't try putting extra power down. maybe practicing for the winter olympics with a front flip?

I'm no good at hills. Well, I don't really feel like pushing it up the hill so a fair few people catch up to me there. Then I get back on the flat and the thighs kick in again and away we go. :P

As for the Winter Olympics, maybe he was practising for this event:

He must have hit a snow snake... In the bike lane.

This morning's ride was stellar - I managed to catch the Hoddle Street light. I thought I'd miss it as I know the usual timing of the light and if I am further than a certain point out I will miss it. Not so today as it seems no-one was waiting on the other side of the intersection (which shortens the light sequence for my side). It was great catching that light and not having to stop for a couple of minutes. When I realised I was actually going to get it I did a mini sprint and it is a great feeling turning into the curve at speed. I'm a closet (or not so closet) speed demon. :P
Summernight

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 am

Apparently I didn't get the notice that today was National Muppet Day.

M1, 2 & 3 - the cars parked in the no stopping zone before the pedestrian crossing - no council ranger there today.
M4 - the VW Golf that MGIF, so 10m later he can stop and wait at the intersection with a queue of stationary cars in front of him.
M5 - drives along the sharedpath so he can avoid the traffic in front of him- slightly too far away to get a readable number plate.
M6 - enters a blocked intersection
M7 - space cadet ped who only opens his eyes when he hears my brakes & then steps back to his right to walk into me. Yes I am required to give way & I did, but you are still a muppet.
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby rheicel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:18 am

find_bruce wrote:Apparently I didn't get the notice that today was National Muppet Day.

M1, 2 & 3 - the cars parked in the no stopping zone before the pedestrian crossing - no council ranger there today.
M4 - the VW Golf that MGIF, so 10m later he can stop and wait at the intersection with a queue of stationary cars in front of him.
M5 - drives along the sharedpath so he can avoid the traffic in front of him- slightly too far away to get a readable number plate.
M6 - enters a blocked intersection
M7 - space cadet ped who only opens his eyes when he hears my brakes & then steps back to his right to walk into me. Yes I am required to give way & I did, but you are still a muppet.

Well, just keep on smiling mate. This is all we can do :D
rheicel

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:41 am

rheicel wrote:Well, just keep on smiling mate. This is all we can do :D

Actually I was thinking of saying "you're a muppet, have a sticker"
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby WarbyD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am

Great ride in this morning.. My 29er got a bit of a birthday over the weekend with:
- Fitment of a rack and trunk bag with fold-out panniers
- New light (SolarStorm X2 - 2x CREE Leds... just a *bit* brighter than the lil $10 USB light I used previously..)
- Flipped the front tire around that I had stupidly installed backwards
- Cleaned and lubed the chain
- Adjusted rear derailleur (pretty happy with how it is now)
- Adjusted front derailluer (not happy with it.. adjusted the angle of the dangle to try and eliminate a little bit of chain rub and have made it worse.. will have another play tonight..)
- Fitted Ergon GP1 grips
- Fitted bar ends
- Fitted a bar end mirror

I was surprised at just how different it was riding with the weight on the rack instead of on my back.. I only got a relatively small trunk bag and would have only been a few kg in it today but it made a noticeable difference to the way the bike felt. Seemed much heavier and slower through corners. Was also surprised just how much better my hands felt with the bar ends and ergon grips..

Add to that the fact that I had not a single idiot cyclist, no random suicidal pedestirans or unleashed dogs, didn't fall off (always good - although I did have to unclip as I exited the PSP at the mount st bridge as the bike didnt want to turn quite the way I had asked it to) and all the traffic I interacted with played nicely.. and all in all, I'm a happy little commuter today :D

Ride stats, just because: 30.3km, 27.0km/h average spd, avg heart rate 157, max hr 183, 1200ish calories
WarbyD

Postby MickMelb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Yarra Main Trail Monday 5:30pm 10 February CLOSED!

I knew the authorities would use the gates to close the trail on a whim. This is just another example but during peak commute time. What the???

& yes I know the standard excuse will be trotted out ..." safety reasons". The question is for who's safety? Is it safer to push hundreds of cycling commuters onto the busy streets of Richmond in peak hour than have them on a dedicated cycle path (with a minor lean on it.) Or is it safer for Parks Victoria(?) legal budget if they close the YMT everytime the tide goes out?

The closure is all the more annoying because there is NO advance warning. Below are the flashing signs, which must be costing a fair bit of $$, taunting commuters about the 4:30pm re-opening time (that didn't happen) . Stills are from 30 seconds before I found trail closed at about 5:30pm.

BTW Parks Vic website says "Dredge operations will be restricted to weekdays between 9:30am to 4:30pm to allow the trail to be opened as much as possible during peak commuter times and weekends. Night time closures will continue between 8:30pm and 6:30am and when low tides make the trail unsafe by tilting the pontoons.." Really?

Ok rant over. (sorry)

Stills from bike camera 5:30 pm approx

Last edited by MickMelb on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickMelb

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:07 pm

umm.. Tuesday 5:30pm 11 February hasn't happened yet...
jules21

Postby MickMelb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

jules21 wrote:umm.. Tuesday 5:30pm 11 February hasn't happened yet...

OOPS...carried away in the moment! (possibly prescient?)
MickMelb

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:15 pm

they really don't GAS. they've been hammered over the long-term closure previously, they know that large numbers of cyclists are using it, but they don't seem to care.

they are a typical govt. dept. who is given responsibility for managing something - any way they like. they are unaccountable.
jules21

Postby alexander » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Melbourne: Cool, 15º Almost no wind, 0-5km per hour SE. 7:20 am Footscray to CBD

A few girls riding their town bikes, all decked out in Lululemon and Lorna Jane. Some guys on some very dirty MTB's with baggys really trying to pound the pedals, but not getting as nearly as much pace as the hybrids or roadies who are really pulling the train. The mix is pretty broad on my commute, which I kind of like.

Very still this morning and a small chill in the air, a bit of smoke from the bushfires. I didn't have any clothing fails, random crashes, gate closures, sorry guys nothing exciting happened. Just a lot of people watching.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby cancan64 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 pm

First commute for the year, the 29er is going in for its first service...the roads are so smooth when riding on low pressure off road tyres..was also slowest commute to date although I still got to pass a few road bikes..There was a part road closure on Wynnum Rd...glad I was on the bike/foot path...unsure what was going on there but he TV cameras were out
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.
cancan64

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Brisbane. Kenmore to Airport

lovely ride to work this afternoon, not to hot, to much wind but getting used to that :) hopefully wont be to cold this afternoon, so many cyclists,

I drove the wife to work this morning, hour and 1/2 to go 25km round trip, god I hate traffic and watching the cyclists go past!
poohkies

Postby TailWind » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Reasonable commute in this morning. Encountered a ninja ped, older fellow, who merrily greeted me in the dark on the Darebin Creek Trail. A little further on, there was a jogger with some excellent reflective stripes on his jogging kit.
Ride home was via the MYT (and I share the frustration of other would-be users of the pontoon section) along the lumpy and bumpy south bank section, through to the Darebin Creek Trail heading north.
At least the section of the trail under the M80 is officially open again.
The signals at the level crossing at Alphington were stuffed, I think, as the booms were down and cars were U-turning and ducking through the booms anyway - they must have been there for a bit - there was a massive backup of traffic. Waited 5 mins and eventually joined the stream of cars heading across.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby TraceyG » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 pm

I won't be commuting for a week or two after bushfires along, across and near most of my commute route options. Plus the smoke! But I can count my blessings as I still have my home, my health, my family and my bikes.

Stay safe folks.
TraceyG

Postby WarbyD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:58 pm

My commute home today started ok... Until my front tube went "bang!" and brought me to a rather sudden stop.. Pulled off the psp, changed tube, pumped it up, started riding and the tyre must not have been on properly as the damned new tube popped out the side! Tube didn't blow so released the air, put everything back together and started pumping it up again...

Then my pump died!! Some "bit" came loose and when I tightened it back up it no longer wanted to work at all... Thoroughly checked tyre was properly seated and (slowly) rode the km or so to nearest petrol station to finish inflating it.. Put 60psi in there (700x38c), checked tyre was properly seated again.. Started riding again...

...Got another 4-5km down the road and "bang!" another tube go Byebye!!! No more spare tube.... Under Mt henry bridge so walked bike over to the park at south end where I currently sit waiting for the wife to pick me up....

Siiiiiiigh... One of those days!!! A big "thank you!" to those who stopped or slowed to offer help..

Any suggestions as to what caused these blowouts? Running Shwalbe Marathon "Original" Greenguard in 700x38c, with kenda 700x35-45 tubes, on 29" rims

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby cancan64 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Could be the day for it...I punctured the rear tyre on the way home... I was 50mtr from where my car was having some hail damage repaired so thought if I was lucky I could grab the car and take it back in the morning.... Was a cunning plan if they were only still open.... That left plan B... change the tube but I was on the 29er and I keep the spare tube in the camelbak. Lucky for me I did think of putting the spare in my laptop bag... Unlucky for me I left the tube at home next to where I keep the laptop bag.
That left plan C... call the wife... I grabbed the mobile and low and behold the wife had just left me a message..' At gymnastics with the kids.. Phone is nearly dead so turning it off... C u in 3hrs"
So that left trusty plan D...I walked the 5km home... But I was lucky as I wearing my commuting shoes and they are the best pair to walk in... Back to the commuter tomorrow... That has a stocked tool kit although that's my 3rd puncture this year...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.
cancan64

Postby nezumi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:18 pm

WarbyD wrote:My commute home today started ok... Until my front tube went "bang!" and brought me to a rather sudden stop.. Pulled off the psp, changed tube, pumped it up, started riding and the tyre must not have been on properly as the damned new tube popped out the side! Tube didn't blow so released the air, put everything back together and started pumping it up again...

Then my pump died!! Some "bit" came loose and when I tightened it back up it no longer wanted to work at all... Thoroughly checked tyre was properly seated and (slowly) rode the km or so to nearest petrol station to finish inflating it.. Put 60psi in there (700x38c), checked tyre was properly seated again.. Started riding again...

...Got another 4-5km down the road and "bang!" another tube go Byebye!!! No more spare tube.... Under Mt henry bridge so walked bike over to the park at south end where I currently sit waiting for the wife to pick me up....

Siiiiiiigh... One of those days!!! A big "thank you!" to those who stopped or slowed to offer help..

Any suggestions as to what caused these blowouts? Running Shwalbe Marathon "Original" Greenguard in 700x38c, with kenda 700x35-45 tubes, on 29" rims

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

First thing to check is if the hole in the tube is in the same spot on both (assuming you didn't bin them already).

Otherwise, check for somthing sticking through the tyre, or something protruding on the wheel rim.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 am

Brisbane Airport to Kenmore

feeling the cold, lovely ride home, wasn't feeling it but still made good time,

sleep time now
poohkies

Postby TonyMax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:42 am

Casey to Tuggeranong

Overcast lovely weather for riding, it would have been a much more pleasant commute had I even taken one of the water bottles which are still in the fridge at home :(.

6 minutes off my PB but a few new segment PRs, thanks mainly to me trying to get a tow from a guy from Curtin ovals to Woden (I drafted him most of the way and even said thanks when he turned off towards Yamba Drive).
TonyMax

Postby alexander » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 am

Melbourne: Cool, Misty Sky 15º Almost no wind, 0-5km per hour SE. 7:20 am Footscray to CBD

Nice ride this morning. I did a 90 minute running session last night after the ride home, so feeling very fatigued this morning, but still managed to set a decent pace. Got passed by 2 people. One of them a red light jumper, so he doesn't count. I yelled out "IDIOT" while he jumped about 20 of us at a light. Everyone looked around. I get more upset the more I see it. Idiots that only continue to keep the great divide between motorists and cyclists. Thanks knob.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:47 am

Smoke haze last night and this morning due to the bushfires but otherwise uneventful rides. Humid this morning too and I got really sweaty. Yay! :|

Speaking of bushfires, Sunday was a bit of a tense day as a firebug (arsonist) tried to light a fire in the lane where our horses are at 6AM in the morning (I got there at 6:30AM to ride before the heat and was wondering why there were all the police cars and fire trucks until someone told me). Luckily the firefighters got to it quickly so it didn't spread far. Then later that day was the start of what is currently still causing issues in some places - the fire in Gisborne was pretty darn close and moving in our direction until the wind change. I hope it wasn't the firebug giving it a second go.
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 am

had a bike rider on the wrong side of the path in roma st parklands on the blind corner. head on was the result. Am ok. a few bruises. bike seems ok.
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting