How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 am

TailWind wrote:I had an annoying rubbing sound coming off my front wheel - the tyre, which seems to be somewhat warped, is contacting the screw head of one of the retaining screws for the mudflap.
It's the Durano Plus which has gone out of shape. Not only does it seem to have a slight kink to it in one spot, but also is seated a little higher in the same location.
I've reseated it several times to no avail. Must look at it again this afternoon.

the belt inside the tyre is gone. bin job
jasonc

by BNA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:00 pm

BNA

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:00 pm

WarbyD wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Ride home yesterday was uneventful.. Averaged a whopping 23km/h lol, fastest homeward commute so far I think.

Nice work. Distance?

Andrew

30km door to door.. averaging 25-27km/h on the way in during the AM, down to 20-22km/h most afternoons thanks to that damned headwind haha

Think of the head wind as training! And keep pushing against it! Imbrace the wind make it your friends :p / ps I know the feeling!
poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:that was me jason saying hi

you'd confused me - you're meant to be asleep at that time. yes, i did know it was you. looking strong. brooky tomorrow?

Deciding if I drive in tonight so I can get extra sleep for brookie, or man up sleep on the couch at work and ride home at 4 doing the Brookie ride (add it to my commute). If I do the latter I recon I'll get dropped earlier than normal :0 but yes either way Definately want to do brookie tomorrow
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 pm

poohkies wrote:
jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:that was me jason saying hi

you'd confused me - you're meant to be asleep at that time. yes, i did know it was you. looking strong. brooky tomorrow?

Deciding if I drive in tonight so I can get extra sleep for brookie, or man up sleep on the couch at work and ride home at 4 doing the Brookie ride (add it to my commute). If I do the latter I recon I'll get dropped earlier than normal :0 but yes either way Definately want to do brookie tomorrow

that'd be a hell of a commute. I'll hang back with you tomorrow
jasonc

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 pm

BNE - I got to sleep in this morning...done the lbs ride this morning...well hung on for 15km before getting dropped but a nice 45km warm up for the commute to work...I figured since the road bike was out I will use it to commute and will do a few laps (or 1) of Mt Gravatt on the way home...Cant believe the traffic difference down Wynnum Rd at 7:30am compared to 5:30am when I normally commute...felt like I was going well until the handbrake came on at the cemetery ...and a lot more cyclists out then as well
cancan64

Postby rangersac » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Legs are feeling the extra km I have put in this week. I'm hoping I meet that roadie who I dragged up virtually the whole length of Bonnet Hill on Tuesday evening, I could do with the favour being repaid tonight!
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:45 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:I had an annoying rubbing sound coming off my front wheel - the tyre, which seems to be somewhat warped, is contacting the screw head of one of the retaining screws for the mudflap.
It's the Durano Plus which has gone out of shape. Not only does it seem to have a slight kink to it in one spot, but also is seated a little higher in the same location.
I've reseated it several times to no avail. Must look at it again this afternoon.

the belt inside the tyre is gone. bin job

That's disappointing, don't think I did more than 2500km on it. From a tread perspective it looks like it should go for double that still. Think I'll put a MP 700x25 on now. The MPs are harder to fit but seat better. Any thoughts about 700x28 at the back and 700x25 on the front?
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Kenmore to Brisbane airport Commute

slowly and steady to day, no extra km's 3 days of head wind has taken it's toll :)

the end

ps looks like my garmin has shat it self :( but lucky i do 2 logs 1 on the garmin 1 on my phone so the commute still happened :)
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm

TailWind wrote: Any thoughts about 700x28 at the back and 700x25 on the front?

I've got 25c on both - they are bloody heavy enough
jasonc

Postby WarbyD » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Slow commute home tonight.. Avg 21.6km/h...

Arrived home to a package from mtbdirect containing 2 jerseys, shorts, stem, gloves and a brush for cleaning chain/cassette/etc PLUS an early bday present from the wife n kids in the form of a flash new pair of headphones :)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:30 am

Brisbane Airport to Brookfield Attitude Group Ride to kenmore

had a blast of a morning, fell good and enjoyed the group ride as i didn't get dropped :) 60km morning commute home, so now bed time :) catch you all next week :)
poohkies

Postby tubby74 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 am

Got 100 meters from the house when I felt the first drops if rain. Thought I was in for a drenching but that was all the rain I got. Was a bit early so went around the harbour area doenhill past pyrmont, very pleasant start to the day
tubby74

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:14 am

WarbyD wrote:Slow commute home tonight.. Avg 21.6km/h...

You did heaps better than me. I rode my last commute for the week down the coast as usual, Joondalup to Fremantle, but the wind gusting up to 40 km/h really did me in. I have a long way to go to get my legs back to coping with this daily grind.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby WarbyD » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am

Aushiker wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Slow commute home tonight.. Avg 21.6km/h...

You did heaps better than me. I rode my last commute for the week down the coast as usual, Joondalup to Fremantle, but the wind gusting up to 40 km/h really did me in. I have a long way to go to get my legs back to coping with this daily grind.

Andrew

That's a hell of a commute! How far is it?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:22 am

Nice enough ride in today, although the creaking noise from the bike is driving me bonkers. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom bracket but I'm pretty sure it is actually the head set. I need to look into how to re-grease that area or send it to someone who does know.

And the velcro holding the rear camera on (yes, it is a DIY carp job) decided it had had enough last night so I didn't have the rear camera working this morning. I'll have to go find some string and tie it on so it doesn't keep rotating like it is doing at the moment.
Summernight

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am

WarbyD wrote:That's a hell of a commute! How far is it?

42 to 43 km depending any slight variations in route through Fremantle.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:36 am

Aushiker wrote:
TailWind wrote:The DCT campers/squatters were still around this morning.

Nice location for it? We get a lot of backpackers "camping" in the beach carparks here ... causes a bit of grief with the locals :)
Andrew

I can't see them lasting there for very long.
When I rode past there yesterday afternoon, the lady of the house (errr, tent) was sitting somewhat forlornly on a camping chair, swatting at flies, with their belongings all stuffed into a shopping cart. The tent had also been taken down.
This morning's commute took me past there again, and I could still smell campfire smoke - too dark to see whether the tent was pitched.

Commutes were pretty uneventful otherwise. Still muggy here in Melbourne.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Perth:

Back to PEEEERFECT cidnitions on the way in.

Not overly busy this morning - Fridays usually aren't - but I still noticed a few silly.careless passing maneuvres on the way in.

If the Freo Doctor is gentle this arvo I may be tempted to take a lazy couple of hours going home.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Perth:

What more relaxing lounge room is there than the river in Perth? I doubt it mattered whether he got a bite or not.

I was on the way in for my Saturday coffee in Perth and this was just begging to be snapped.

Taken from Canning Bridge - Smartphone
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby alexander » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 am

Melburn: Cool, 16º, little to no wind, SE, 0-5kms. 7:20 am Footscray to CBD.

Lovely ride this morning, and the legs really felt good at the start and at the end, but in the middle, burn and fatigue, which is odd, as it's a 25 minute commute. Not even long enough to get that? 10-0 CCR. and I wasn't even really trying.

Lots of riders out today, and why wouldn't you, it was so nice. Noticing a lot more ladies riding, which is great. And also some 'larger' riders, which is even better to see. Good effort, and well done, keep it up.

And I kind of treat myself on Mondays by riding in my nicest kit, and I had my Rapha Pro Sky team jersey on, and Assos Bibs. I felt fast just by wearing it.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 am

Multi-hop commute back on Friday using the all on-road shorter route via my brother's place.
Sluggish ride in this morning, think I spent too much time on the couch this weekend ...
TailWind

Postby jools » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:36 am

No rides last week due to work travel, but I spent the last two weekends giving the old apollo a much needed tune up. New chain - which required much McGyvering to remove the worn cassette and flip the sprockets, replaced a well worn chainring with a less worn chainring, new brake and gear cables, new hoods and bar tape. Gave the bar and stem a polish, lubed the derailleurs, cleaned and repacked the headset bearings. Stripped and cleaned the downtube shifters and learned a valuable noob lesson - lube-ing the friction shifters improves the shift quality, but not so good for the friction side of the equation. Had to strip and clean them again to remove the lube, so now they hold a gear like they're supposed to!

So despite the rainy morning in Sydney, had an awesome ride in! The rain kept all the tourists off the path and the old apollo feels brand new - no more creaks, groans or rattles, it just hums along beautifully! Almost did a Forrest Gump and just kept riding! :D
jools

Postby Lizzy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 am

Woke up bone weary as though I hadn't even slept, but forced myself into the saddle. Came suddenly alive over Loftus St and ended up with one of my better times heading towards work ... heh :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby rheicel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Wet commute this morning.
Afternoon is a bit humid but better than soaking wet.
I need to lube my chain too.
rheicel

Postby visrealm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Last week... First crash on the road :-(

Heading West on Greenhill Rd, Glenside SA. Traffic was stationary, I was doing 35 in the bike lane. Traffic just started to move as I was nearing a side street intersection. No points for guessing how this story ends...

As the car turned into the intersection I hit the passenger door at 35, I recall attempting to turn inside the car, but was no hope at speed. I hit the door, but recall diving towards the front wheel of the car, car was still moving, at this point I was on my back, legs up, and pushing away from the car with my hand as the back wheel went over my side "excess". Laid on the road for 10 seconds or so. Collected myself and a nearby shop owner and the driver and passenger came to my aid.

Ambo's came as a precaution. Very bruised, grazed, fractured ribs, but otherwise ok. One of the paramedics straightened my saddle and shifters as the other checked me over.

I ended up slowly riding the remaining 4-5km to work. Wife collected me and the bike that evening do I didn't have to ride back to Crafers in that state.

Taking this week off commuting as a precaution for the ribs. I had to run for a bus this morning and must have looked so unfit in a half-arsed jog looking like I was being stabbed.

Anyway - lesson learnt. Don't travel so fast (especially near an intersection) when the traffic is moving slower than you. I'm usually cautious of stationary traffic in that situation as they often leave a gap for crossing traffic, but haven't encountered this before.

Police have given it equal blame - failure to give way on both sides and in hindsight I get their point. If I was travelling slower it wouldn't have happened (or at least greater chance to avoid)...

Cheers

Troy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'12 Avanti Cadent 1.0 (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
visrealm

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting