How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby rheicel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:34 pm

I hope for your immediate recovery Troy. Take it easy on your next commute.
rheicel

by BNA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:38 pm

BNA

Postby alexander » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Melburn: Warm, 24º, light wind, S, 10kms. 5:10 pm CBD - Footscray.

Well this mornings ride was ruined this afternoon, which was a shame as the weather was even nicer.

I had nothing but moron cyclists overtaking on blind corners. Had it happen 3 times, 3 different guys. All nearly resulting in crashes that would have taken down at least 3-4 people. Had to yell at one of them, and luckily he pulled back just in time, as sure enough, someone came the other way, at speed.

Then a motorcyclist coming up the inside of a truck turning left perpendicular to our crossing. Truck was being nice and letting us cross, but the motorbike was invisible and so were we, as the truck hid us both from each other, cyclist nearly got cleaned up by dumb motorcyclist who wasn't giving way. Again I had to yell because I was back far enough to see it unfolding.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 am

No commute for me, woke up at 2:30am and started hearing peta pata, stupid rain! Only stopped pissing down after 5am
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:42 am

poohkies wrote:No commute for me, woke up at 2:30am and started hearing peta pata, stupid rain! Only stopped pissing down after 5am

it was wet but not unpleasant
saw a power pole fire on hoogley st in west end
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

visrealm wrote:Last week... First crash on the road :-(

Police have given it equal blame - failure to give way on both sides and in hindsight I get their point. If I was travelling slower it wouldn't have happened (or at least greater chance to avoid)...

Equal blame??? Are you serious? If the car pulled out over a bike lane and didn't give way to a cyclist in the bike lane then it is their fault. Yes, maybe you should have been a bit more cautious and aware of someone possibly coming out of a side street, but that doesn't excuse the fail to give way by the motorist.

Sorry, I just hate hearing things like that although I know I wasn't there so don't know the full story. If you had been a car in a car lane and the lane beside you was stopped and yours was flowing and someone pulled out in front of you and you crashed into them then it would be 100% their fault and I'm sure the police would say that too. Why is riding a bicycle any different? :x

Anyway, glad you are okay.

Yesterday morning I woke up to a flat tyre - it was fine when I pumped it the extra 10-20psi the night before but I found a gravel fragment in the tyre once I actually managed to pull the tyre off the rim in the morning and there was a clear hole in the tube so I think something managed to work its way into the puncture resistant tyre. It was the back wheel too, which was fiddly and messy (I went through multiple pairs of disposable gloves trying not to get grease and dirt on everything). But I actually managed to get the wheel on and off, which was a first time for me! And I don't think I broke or bent anything either!

I was an hour late to work due to the puncture, but I didn't give up and I noticed it while still at home so at least I had everything and a comfortable environment in which to fix it. And the motorists at the later time were nice and the roads were clearer.

I felt tired on the way home yesterday and tired on the way in this morning. But it was a lovely ride in this morning. I must get my creaking headset sorted...
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 am

Pretty busy along the paths yesterday afternoon, as if half the population in Melbs had the day off.
Naturally there were several cases of two or more abreast groups of peds taking up both sides of the shared path, then doing the headless chicken thing at the sound of the bell, scattering about from one side to the next, but not really clearing either side of the path.
Also had what appeared to be an electric assist trike come up behind me on the Darebin Creek Trail (sorry, no rear facing cam), but given the nature of the trail, they never stood a chance of getting close.

This morning I was heading down Macarthur St approaching Spring St, when I was puzzled as to why cars didn't start moving when the lights at Spring St turned green.
When I got closer, a lollipop man came into view, holding up the cars. Turns out Macarthur and Spring had been turned into a movie production set, and the camera car was busy rolling up and down the tram tracks into Collins St.
I ended up heading through Gordon Reserve and down Little Collins, rather than waiting out retake after retake. Don't think the motorists were too pleased. :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Summernight wrote:
visrealm wrote:Last week... First crash on the road :-(
Police have given it equal blame - failure to give way on both sides and in hindsight I get their point. If I was travelling slower it wouldn't have happened (or at least greater chance to avoid)...

Equal blame??? Are you serious? If the car pulled out over a bike lane and didn't give way to a cyclist in the bike lane then it is their fault. Yes, maybe you should have been a bit more cautious and aware of someone possibly coming out of a side street, but that doesn't excuse the fail to give way by the motorist.

Had a similar incident 18 months or so back. Stalled traffic in my direction, oncoming car turns right (their right) through a gap, invisible to me, as I approached the small side street they wanted to turn into. I was pretty conscious of this spot, as cars tend to nose out of the side street and into the bike lane. They didn't give way to the marked bike lane, I had no chance to stop, hit somewhere near the front wheel well and launched over the bonnet. No major injuries to me other than some bruising and cuts on my shins from hitting the bar ends as I went over, but the effect on the bike at 35 km/h was this:
Equal blame? Sounds like a poor call to me....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm

TailWind wrote:Equal blame? Sounds like a poor call to me....

+1
jasonc

Postby visrealm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:56 pm

This car was travelling same direction as me and turned left across me. If I had seen the were indicating I would've given way (since they're in front). I didn't see if they were or not. They certainly didn't see me (didn't check)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
'12 Avanti Cadent 1.0 (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
visrealm

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:59 pm

visrealm wrote:This car was travelling same direction as me and turned left across me. If I had seen the were indicating I would've given way (since they're in front). I didn't see if they were or not. They certainly didn't see me (didn't check)

can you make a thread with the incident details. i still think you're not at fault. my first thought is they haven't given way to a traffic lane (bike lane, if it exists)
jasonc

Postby visrealm » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:14 pm

jasonc wrote:can you make a thread with the incident details. i still think you're not at fault. my first thought is they haven't given way to a traffic lane (bike lane, if it exists)

Done:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72794

'12 Avanti Cadent 1.0 (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
visrealm

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Bloody busy along the Capital City trail, Harbour esplanade, Southbank and LaTrobe.
Great to see the big numbers but not impressed at some of the tools on the CCT. One clown riding the centreline at crazy speeds, cutting corners regardless of traffic and a few pairs in full chat mode taking zero notice of what side to be on.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:08 am

The amount of detours on my afternoon commutes is getting silly.
First up, the notorious pontoon section closure, necessitating a detour along the south bank of the Yarra:

...which then ends in a construction site and forces one onto the road, which has the left lane closed for a stretch as well:

..back on the north bank MYT near Abbotsford, we're diverted up onto the road:

..which of course has works going on too:

...and finally, access to the suburbs of the M80 trail looks to be closing again shortly:

Felt really weary yesterday afternoon for some reason - had one of those rare commutes where I was hoping for it to be over...

This morning I nearly collided with a wombat. A frigging wombat on the Darebin Creek Trail! That's a first for me.
Didn't see it on the right side of the path until I was a couple of meters away, just as it turned as if to dash across my front wheel.
I let out a surprised yelp, which caused it to pause momentarily until I had passed, and then it cut across the path behind me. Full of adrenaline after that :shock: .
TailWind

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 am

This morning was foggy and very humid. My legs weren't really in it but I set out for a Strava art challenge and came up with this: http://www.strava.com/segments/6699626

Arrived at work in a lather of sweat a little disappointed that the "a" isn't as clear as I'd like. ;)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:47 am

bychosis wrote:This morning was foggy and very humid. My legs weren't really in it but I set out for a Strava art challenge and came up with this: http://www.strava.com/segments/6699626

Arrived at work in a lather of sweat a little disappointed that the "a" isn't as clear as I'd like. ;)

Nicely done!! :D
Avanti Quantum, Salsa Casseroll, Specialized Tricross
Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am

Nice ride in but not used to that humidity. Looks like I'll get even more wet on the way home though.
DaveOZ

Postby Robinho » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Took it easy into Perth this morning, strong cross wind, av 26.5kmh, tried to keep my heart rate down a bit and save my legs after smashing myself on the way home last night. Net result was last night, feeling good with a slight tailwind was 38km in 1hr12, this morning same distance, less pleasant wind and tired, 1hr25.

Nearly ran over a cat by glendalough station, it walked out of the bushes and fortunately I guessed it would keep going rather than stop and managed to swerve it and indicate to the mtb on my wheel to tuck in as well. It looked pretty old so probably didn't have many of its 9 lives left, had either of us hit it at about 35kmh I think that would have been nasty
Robinho

Postby Lizzy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Uneventful ride in this morning, made OK time. The new long(er) commute has me perpetually ravenous, and I don't even go that hard. Troughed my leftover pasta at 11am and it barely touched the sides ... I think commuting is actually going to make me fat :o
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 am

Kenmore to Airport

getting faster up the hills, and with all the stops (held up on western freeway etc, very happy with 28km/h av just got to get back up tot he 30's and i'll be more happy, road along coro drive this morning, don't know if it was quicker as I got stuck at so many lights, thinking I might skip going through town, for the 2km it is it's taken around 8 - 10 minutes to get though all the lights, I think it would be quicker to stick to the river loop and up through New farm, maybe do that in the moring if I have more time :)
poohkies

Postby doggatas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:31 am

My commute was going well until a garbage truck decided to perform a 3 point turn as if I wasn't even on the road.

I was behind him, 30 meters or so, then without warning or indication he cut a right hand turn as if he was pulling into a driveway across the road, so I was already slowing, then boom, he whacked in reverse and was across the entire left lane at 90 degrees to the footpath. Luckily he started to go forward again and left me an escape route around the back otherwise I would have been bunny hopping gutters. I think I could have stopped in time had he not gone forward.

Luckily (well not luck because I am cautious when ever on the road) I was 30 meter back and not "drafting". Closest I have been to having an accident with a motor vehicle, a few choice words to the garbo and I was on my way again.
doggatas

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 am

Got insulted by a road worker today - he held out sign that said "SLOW". I know its true, but its a bit harsh to make up a sign just for that. Maybe next week they will have one that says OLD and FAT :D
find_bruce

Postby AndreB1972 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 am

find_bruce wrote:Got insulted by a road worker today - he held out sign that said "SLOW". I know its true, but its a bit harsh to make up a sign just for that. Maybe next week they will have one that says OLD and FAT :D

Wahahahahahaha.... :D
AndreB1972

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:23 am

Mrs TW is currently recovering from a hernia op in a hospital in Malvern, so I left the office in the CBD a little early to go visit her.
Was enjoying the ride along St Kilda Rd, when a bus driver turning from the centre lanes let his bus drift wide, just about encroaching on the bike lane I went past. Didn't quite expect that, as there's plenty of room for him on the road.
To illustrate (the wide angle makes me seem further away than I was):

Think he was trying to beat me to the next light, where I stopped in the bike box, which is slightly ahead of the left turn lane:

The bus comes charging up behind me in the left turn lane, then comes to a stop, brakes hissing, a few centimeters off my rear wheel, I look around at the driver, who is gesturing at me.
I thought I'd have a chat with him as to why his multi-ton bus was trying to get overly friendly with my 21kg bike and rolled back a little to his open window.
The conversation went something like this:
Him - You should be further to the right.
Me - I'm perfectly fine here, well within the box. You shouldn't be encroaching on the bike lanes or bike boxes.
Him - You're too far left, what if I drive over your foot. What if I had a green arrow?
Me - You'd just have to wait if you don't fit your lane, and you don't have a green arrow.
Him - I've got a camera in the bus.
Me - I've got a camera on my bike
Him - I ride a bike too ...(bla bla)
Me - ahh yes (light turns green and I ride off).

I might post the vid if I find the time today.
Edit: Here's the video.

Out of the 52km commute that afternoon, 30km were spent in the rain....

Cool this morning, and a blustery westerly to keep me occupied.
Last edited by TailWind on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TailWind

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 am

Yesterday left a bit early as the rains were coming. Still got a few drops and everything was wet from the storm half hour earlier. Got a shave by an expletive deleted about 50m after I joined the road from the cycleway and about 30m before I was getting off the road again.

This morning I played Strava art again and arrived at work dripping with sweat, it was so humid this morning. I waited for a while, had a cool shower (cold shower wuss) and was still sweating after getting into the office about 25min after finishing the ride.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby kb » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Need a tighter jersey. Tailwind's blustery westerly gave me a new max HR of 250 bpm :-)
kb

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting