How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Cowcorner » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

rodneycc wrote:Got overtaken by an old bloke on one of those foldup bikes with the massive seat posts. Oh the indignity! :-)

If you see it again, you might want to take a closer look. I got passed by one on the Docklands bike path - passed me like I was going backwards. It was only on closer inspection I discovered it was an e-bike. Didn't know they made 'em that small. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

by BNA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:18 pm

Cowcorner wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Got overtaken by an old bloke on one of those foldup bikes with the massive seat posts. Oh the indignity! :-)

If you see it again, you might want to take a closer look. I got passed by one on the Docklands bike path - passed me like I was going backwards. It was only on closer inspection I discovered it was an e-bike. Didn't know they made 'em that small. 8)

I love playing with these buggers on coro drive - they can't sit on 30 and don't seem to like it when I go by them at over 40
jasonc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Cowcorner wrote:

Oh thats what it might of been then. Was the strangest looking thing that ever passed me with the massive seat post and scooter style handle bars. Thought about trying to catch him up but let him go...
--
2012 Giant Defy Composite 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2013/14 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby queequeg » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Summernight wrote:Last night on the way home I passed a large group (easily a hundred or more) of screaming girls (mostly of Asian ancestry) who seemed to be following someone in particular (a celebrity?) at the corner of Swanston and Collins Streets. The large group of girls had complete disregard for any traffic and were blocking most of Swanston Street and were starting to block Collins St.

It was a really strange phenomenon to watch as the 'celebrity' crossed Swanston Street and all the screaming girls who were 9-10 deep followed him (I assume it was a him with all that screaming) in a bubble/wave formation with their phones out taking photos or videos.

I couldn't really see through the horde to the epicentre and the celebrity there, but is anyone aware of some J-Pop or K-Pop or other kind of something-Pop star/band being in Melbourne that would cause so many girls to clump together and go crazy?

The ride in this morning was nice and horde free. :D

One can never tell with the Japanese. Having lived there (in Tokyo) for a number of years, even grown Japanese women will scream like schoolgirls at any celebrity encounter.

Maybe AKB48 is making the rounds or something, but I can't imagine there being a huge market for k-pop/j-pop in Melbourne.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:41 pm

queequeg wrote:
Summernight wrote:Last night on the way home I passed a large group (easily a hundred or more) of screaming girls (mostly of Asian ancestry) who seemed to be following someone in particular (a celebrity?) at the corner of Swanston and Collins Streets. The large group of girls had complete disregard for any traffic and were blocking most of Swanston Street and were starting to block Collins St.

It was a really strange phenomenon to watch as the 'celebrity' crossed Swanston Street and all the screaming girls who were 9-10 deep followed him (I assume it was a him with all that screaming) in a bubble/wave formation with their phones out taking photos or videos.

I couldn't really see through the horde to the epicentre and the celebrity there, but is anyone aware of some J-Pop or K-Pop or other kind of something-Pop star/band being in Melbourne that would cause so many girls to clump together and go crazy?

The ride in this morning was nice and horde free. :D

One can never tell with the Japanese. Having lived there (in Tokyo) for a number of years, even grown Japanese women will scream like schoolgirls at any celebrity encounter.

Maybe AKB48 is making the rounds or something, but I can't imagine there being a huge market for k-pop/j-pop in Melbourne.

There was someone on the local radio last night talking about a j-pop star who was touring in sydney soon, very popular and expected to sell out the venues booked. No idea who, wasn't listening that carefully, but I suppose there is a reasonable chance of them visiting Melbourne, it is a fair distance from Tokyo to visit one city.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Home to Brisbane Airport,

lovely ride this evening, even got a tow a few times which was something different and welcoming, so many people out at 5pm in the brisbane city. Some made groups on the Centenary Highway racing home, saw the wife again stopped and gave her a kiss and continued on :)
poohkies

Postby nickobec » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Currently commuting on CF TT bike with deep dish carbon wheels. Need race practice & my commute is 40km. (5km to PSP, 18km flat out uninterupted PSP for threshold, 9km of less perfect PSP, with corners, dropping on to roads for a couple hundreds, metres, road to cross and a few pedestrians, 4km which I use for VO2 max training, 1km of transition and 2km of CBD).

Yesterday, way home, 1st 5km very busy, punching 35kph into strong wind with another TT bike on my wheel (he was sitting up with backpack) so he needed the help. An inline skater, comes off a overpass on my right at speed, across the PSP and right into my path. Swear loudly brake hard, and get ready to test my broken collarbone, shouldering him out of the way. (I am all for hitting a soft target than the chain link fence on my left). Don't think he will be doing that again, the guy behind gave him a good telling off.

Today, feeling tired last little bit, was only going to hold threshold instead of VO2 max. When I heard, click, click, beep and a triathlete on a CF TT bike with deep dish carbon wheels went past as speed. OK time to do a VO2 max session. He was riding harder than me, but his intervals were shorter than mine. Complete my interval sit up, he comes flying past again, then sits up. Catch him just as he turns off.

So no crashes, decent training, so commuting has been good.
nickobec

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:40 pm

poohkies wrote:Home to Brisbane Airport,

lovely ride this evening, even got a tow a few times which was something different and welcoming, so many people out at 5pm in the brisbane city. Some made groups on the Centenary Highway racing home, saw the wife again stopped and gave her a kiss and continued on :)

Was that you that waved to me again this afternoon ? (I was in the red and white velomobile)
Rhubarb

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Yes, I've been saying hello every time we pass, or when I'm on my mtb at lights etc!
poohkies

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 pm

poohkies wrote:Yes, I've been saying hello every time we pass, or when I'm on my mtb at lights etc!

Yep - gotcha now :wink:

I get a lot of waves in the velomobile from people I don't recognise. Its all good, quite nice actually, but I'm always left wondering if they recognise me through a forum, they have mistaken me for one of the 2 other mango riders in Brisbane, or are just waving out of interest in the velomobile. I don't want to ever seem rude so I always just smile and wave in return, but now that I know who you are I will smile and wave in earnest :mrgreen:
Rhubarb

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Yes I gathered you where just doing the polite smile who is that wack job that keeps saying hi
poohkies

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Just uploaded my ride to strava & had a laugh - I got 6th on a 1 km segment - the reason for the laugh is that my time included the 1.5 hours I spent stopped chatting with a mate, for an average speed of 0.6 km/h :lol: :lol:
find_bruce

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:30 am

Commute home
Airport to Kenmore

OMGosh that's got to be my slowest ride ever, never been passed buy so many people :( so cold couldn't get over 25 :(
poohkies

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:37 am

A nice and cool roll to work this morning. Autumn must be starting to come to SE Queensland.
singlespeedscott

Postby Lizzy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:47 am

Nice couple of rides, slowly chipping away at the travel time. Crappy bumpy paths in Osborne park caused my taillight to jump off at Hutton st lights and bust into bits on the road. Waited and watched as waves of traffic went over it, but somehow it lives to fight another day!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby TonyMax » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 am

Slow. Wet roads and I wasn't feeling it, -2 commuter cup score, passed by 3 roadies in full kit, passed 1 commuter in hivis. Still bearable though, hopefully this afternoon will be more enjoyable.
TonyMax

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 am

+3 CCR score but to be fair nobody was really trying.

Was riding on the footpath alongside busy road taking it easy when passed by 3 guys on roadies on the road (no shoulder). They were almost certainly on their way back from a big ride, but I decided to jump out and ride 10 meters behind them with a safety in numbers idea in mind, because it is much faster riding on the road compared to footpath. But they were going too slow up the hills so had to overtake them all and leave them behind. They probably think I was just some idiot "proving" myself, but that's all there was too it.
InTheWoods

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 am

Headed toward home via the MYT and Darebin Creek Trail.
The electronic signboard that informs us of the detour before the pontoon section was not operational, so my hopes rose....

only to be cruelly dashed again...
Ended up taking some back roads and joined the MYT after the pontoon section.

Cool south-westerly headwind riding into the CBD this morning. Plenty of traffic already at my early hour.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby WarbyD » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 am

Ride home yesterday was absolute crap.. Went around to Kwinana PSP via the causeway/south perth foreshore and had wind in my face the whole ride home with very little reprieve.. Ride in today was even worse because today's ride was on a train since the wife has an appt this afternoon -.- REALLY should have rode the bike to work at least and just caught the train home.. Meh!
WarbyD

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Rhubarb wrote: I don't want to ever seem rude so I always just smile and wave in return, but now that I know who you are I will smile and wave in earnest :mrgreen:

I always wave and say gday to you too!
jasonc

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:00 pm

jasonc wrote:
Rhubarb wrote: I don't want to ever seem rude so I always just smile and wave in return, but now that I know who you are I will smile and wave in earnest :mrgreen:

I always wave and say gday to you too!

And I like it :mrgreen:

I wave to every person I know / recognise on my commutes. I asked someone I know the other day if I had seen him coming the other way on the bikepath that morning and he said yeah I've waved at you every morning for 3 weeks with no response - I felt very bad. My excuse is that he "blends" in with every other MAMIL and only does a super cool 2 finger lift off the bars to wave. That said, I've been making a special effort to ride a little slower and to look out for wavers.

So Jason, if I've missed you, I apologise, but its not a deliberate snub so please continue to wave / nod / wink / whatever.

I think its one of the things I really like about bike commuting. Even the regular pedestrians I meet on the path through the park etc have almost become friends over the years. Human interactions they are called and you don't get anywhere near as many in a 2 tonne metal polluting cage.
Rhubarb

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:30 pm

I was reading a lovely article about strava and the good and the bad it's done to cycling, one thing was the social side, a lot of people don't stop to have a looksie and enjoy there surrounding / say hi etc! Taking that on board and stopping to take a photo or say hello etc :)
poohkies

Postby TonyMax » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 am

Yesterday afternoon was windy and quite wet. I still managed to average 22km/h for 38km though, slow by comparison to some other efforts, but this was after 30km at lunch time as well, and in unfavourable conditions.

Feeling it in the legs today and a wee bit of chafing.
TonyMax

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 am

Lovely commute this morning with the Family, my daughter is managing to do both hills to her daycare rocks my world, she locked the back wheel up to skid, and leant and turned into it, another proud moment! stopped at woolies, have a lovely nice slow pedal listening to the birds and taken in the beautiful trees and surrounding :) now for a mid day sleep and get ready for work :) Jason, she managed to get into town in 32 mins she's really wants this new bike :P
Last edited by poohkies on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
poohkies

Postby oxonabike » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am

Cairns is having a few days of high spring tides which causes minor flooding on some CBD streets and roads. These are closed to traffic during the duration. This mornings closures coincided with my run into work, however the traffic controllers were letting bikes through. This meant I had some great stretches of city streets to myself, making for a brilliant commute.

Definitely cooling down here, and some of the mornings have a definite chill in the air, making for great riding conditions.
oxonabike

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting