How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TonyMax » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 am

poohkies wrote:...and leant and turned into it

Turned into it or with it? We used to turn with it and make nice J shaped marks on our street, and the end of the Js were always nice fat black lines...

Edit, actually maybe we turned with it as well, it's been a long time since I did a decent skid, back pedal braking was always best for skids for me...
TonyMax

by BNA » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 am

BNA

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 am

First day back on the bike after taking the porcelain bus for a few spins around the block the last couple of days. Took it easy with only two twits overtaking several people on the left on Telford Crescent "cycleway" , ie on the road into oncoming traffic, in the processing close shaving me and startling all of us. Sped up caught them easily and told them off- the first guy didn't care but the second guy was apologetic- I think he just followed the first guy.
Thing is the right hand lane of the cycleway was perfectly empty with no tradies parked or oncoming cyclists- pointless.

Having seen several near incidents along here I really don't want to start my day off with scraping myself or others off the road because they want to keep riding fast.
CXCommuter

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am

Good conditions here in Melbs for my ride home yesterday afternoon. Quite a few people with their mutts off-leash on the paths. Got home, hopped on the cargo bike and headed off to the shops - pantry needed restocking.
Not much of a moon this morning, just a sickle, but there was a lot of critter activity in the bushes along the Darebin Creek Trail. Came across a couple of foxes, and had a roo bounce alongside path in parallel with me for 20 seconds or so. This was near Kingsbury - haven't seen them this far south of the M80.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 am

TonyMax wrote:
poohkies wrote:...and leant and turned into it

Turned into it or with it? We used to turn with it and make nice J shaped marks on our street, and the end of the Js were always nice fat black lines...

Edit, actually maybe we turned with it as well, it's been a long time since I did a decent skid, back pedal braking was always best for skids for me...

Mmm Okies she over steer corrected ;) kept going straight but her pushy was crossed up! I think she steered into it not with it as If she steered with it she would have 180'd, all I know now is I going to need to get her a new back tyre soon. Yes Foot brakes! She all of 4 so still think it rocks :0
poohkies

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 am

oxonabike wrote:This mornings closures coincided with my run into work, however the traffic controllers were letting bikes through. This meant I had some great stretches of city streets to myself, making for a brilliant commute.

Yep - absolutely love it when there's no motor vehicle traffic. I was fortunate enough to be working in Sydney in 1988 when the Bicentennial celebrations were going on. The CBD was almost entirely blocked off to everything except emergency vehicles, pedestrians and bikes - fantastic day to be a cyclist. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:24 am

The ride in this morning had a headwind and I was thinking as I started out "Where are my fellow cyclists that I can hide behind?".

The cars on Hoddle St did their usual and blocked the Albert St intersection. As I was rolling up to this intersection on the Elizabeth St side of Albert St, a car decided it would create a new second lane by blocking the bike lane on the left (as people who ride it would know, this intersection becomes two vehicle lanes about 30m or so out from the lights - prior to that it is a line of parked cars, a bike lane and one vehicle through lane). Well, since he had his passenger window down he got a polite "this is a bike lane" as I squeezed past in what was left of the bike lane.

Karma bit him though, because the left lane was completely blocked by the gridlocked cars on Hoddle St - so only the right hand lane was really fitting through. Of course, all us bicycles could squeeze through too, although the lady cyclist in front of me wasn't really aware enough of her surroundings and didn't realise there was the car squeezing through the gap between the van blocking the intersection and the middle concrete median strip as she went around the van. She thanked me for the warning.

On MacArthur St I had two peds cross the ped crossing (not a zebra crossing - just a traffic lighted one) at Treasury on their red. As I was approaching I saw them about to cut between the banked up cars so had already braked and was ready to take evasive action should they blindly step out. The older lady actually looked before stepping out between the cars so she waited for me to go past. The younger man did not and had to jump back with a sheepish apology as I told him to "look first".

Another usual morning commute. :)
Summernight

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:25 am

TailWind wrote:Good conditions here in Melbs for my ride home yesterday afternoon. Quite a few people with their mutts off-leash on the paths. Got home, hopped on the cargo bike and headed off to the shops - pantry needed restocking.
Not much of a moon this morning, just a sickle, but there was a lot of critter activity in the bushes along the Darebin Creek Trail. Came across a couple of foxes, and had a roo bounce alongside path in parallel with me for 20 seconds or so. This was near Kingsbury - haven't seen them this far south of the M80.

Last winter had a major freak out with a fox in the semi dark of morning, it was crouched down in what appeared to be launch mode as per multiple werewolf movies (ie going for my throat)- instant increase in my Max HR and blood pressure as it leapt....

Thankfully into the bushes behind it. :oops:
CXCommuter

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:46 am

Last 24 hours have been the good, the bad & the ugly

The good cyclist heading west on Anzac Bridge yesterday in NRMA Insurance kit - puts his hand up & slows down well in advance as he comes up to pedestrians walking 3 abreast, waits until the 2 cyclists coming uphill have gone & then head checked before passing & continuing on his way. He probably could have squeezed past, but took the safer option & waited the couple of seconds.

The bad the car left hooking me at a T intersection near to home. I had claimed the lane as I was about to indicate right when the MM pulled up alongside me. Didn't need any spidey senses as the big scrape down the passenger door told me all I needed to know. The windows were down so I gave him a free and frank character assessment as I rode off.

The ugly The truck and trailer parked dangerously & illegally on the cycleway at Bourke Rd - any bike had to swerve out into a busy road to avoid him. When I pointed out he was parked illegally the driver just said "so" and shrugged his shoulders. My language at that point was unprintable.

There is an upside to the ugly incident however in that the my complaint to the company received a very quick response, recognising the poor judgement and stupidity of the driver & promising to take action. The action would probably be stronger if I had managed to keep a civil tongue.
find_bruce

Postby WarbyD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Rode in later than usual this morning as teh wife had an AM appointment, so I ended up getting her to give me a lift part of the way and rode from murdoch.. Slow ride, only average 21.4km/h, but given that I was already "late" I saw no reason to do anything other than toddle along, enjoy the view and allow all of the mums out walking their kids (there were LOTS of mums out getting some morning exercise with the pram) plenty of room .. Feeling very much like I'm coming down with a cold too, which also probably goes some way towards explaining my lack of pace..

Also learnt that a good lock is a worthwhile investment.. I have been using a cheap cable lock I bought from cell or wiggle (can't remember which) as a second lock to go through front wheel/frame. I leave it locked to my usual rack when I'm not at work.. This morning couldnt get it to unlock for some reason, gave it a jiggle and was able to actually pull the lock open without the key.. Not sure how long it's been broken. Looks and feels like it's locked, but a solid yank and it opens straight up... Very glad that it's only been used as a backup for my OnGuard U Lock..
WarbyD

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Commute to Airport

was nice and steady didn't really push at all had a nice head wind but road to a 130 heart beat, had my closest car incident today but from riding motorbikes for years and learning that everyone is trying to kill you I was already had brakes on as she pulled out of the street across her lane and Wide into the bike lane!

Hopefully have an ok night at work and get a couple hours sleep for the morning ride home :)
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:29 pm

poohkies wrote:Commute to Airport

was nice and steady didn't really push at all had a nice head wind but road to a 130 heart beat, had my closest car incident today but from riding motorbikes for years and learning that everyone is trying to kill you I was already had brakes on as she pulled out of the street across her lane and Wide into the bike lane!

Hopefully have an ok night at work and get a couple hours sleep for the morning ride home :)

weather is looking questionable for the brooky ride in the mo' poohkies

perfect weather with a tail wind so I added a coupla kms
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:22 pm

O that's no good :(
poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:17 am

Airport to Brookfield Altitude Ride then home

cold warn out and wet , bed time :)
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:23 am

feeling unwell. still rode to work. probably the slowest time ever.
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:31 am

jasonc wrote:feeling unwell. still rode to work. probably the slowest time ever.

that's no good your not well :(
poohkies

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:17 am

jasonc wrote:feeling unwell. still rode to work. probably the slowest time ever.

Sorry to hear ....hope you perk up during the day!
Maybe you should take it easy for a few days and relax on the bus a bit :wink:

Can't think of anything noteworthy for my commute yesterday afternoon, pretty standard ride, no issues.

Spotted the wombat on the Darebin Creek Trail again this morning, pretty much at the same spot, this time to the left of the path. Stopped and tried to get close enough to get him in the cone of my light so that the camera would pick him up, but no luck...he took fright and headed into the reeds along the creek. If he's going to be a regular feature, I might get a shot of him yet.
Cool southerly headwind into the CBD, uneventful.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:19 am

TailWind wrote:

If I can't ride to work, I'm not coming in.
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:42 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:

My attitude exactly ...
TailWind

Postby WarbyD » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 am

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:

Exactly why I'm sitting on my couch right now.. Damn you manflu!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby rheicel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Wet ride this morning. Hope arvo is dry so I can take the long way home.
rheicel

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 pm

My wife picked me up from work last night so I dropped in at lunch time today to ride my bike home (the mud guards really make it a pain in the ass to throw in the boot). As soon as I stepped out of the gate it absolutely bucketed down. Once I cleared the industrial estate it stopped but then the wind decided to have a play. :(
singlespeedscott

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:11 pm

made it home. just over 20km/h average speed
jasonc

Postby Lizzy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Feel better soon, jasonc :(

Had a ripper heading home yesterday - took 5 minutes of my best* time, and was 10 faster than my average. Had some extra motivation in the form of needing to get home in time to put on dinner for a gaggle of girlfriends at 1830, plus I actually had company within my CCR yardstick nearly the whole way (one narrow victory, one devastating loss for the record). Only need to chip off a few more minutes and I'll be beating the bus-train-bus :D

A little more sedate on the way in this morning though, the aforementioned gaggle between them were all preggo/dieting/medicating/driving, so I got all the wine, what with waste being a sin & everything :roll:

Suicide tail-light took another flying leap yesterday morning, am going to have to McGyver up some alternative mounting situation this weekend I think.

*still pretty slow, but whevs ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Lizzy wrote:Suicide tail-light took another flying leap yesterday morning, am going to have to McGyver up some alternative mounting situation this weekend I think.

always good to smash a PR

re the rear light - I'm seriously considering the Fly6. Alternatively, I can happily recommend the radbot 1000 - bright as. I use rechargable AAs

edit - not a bad weekend to buy with crc and cellbikes both doing free shipping
jasonc

Postby isabella24 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:54 pm

Lizzy wrote:A little more sedate on the way in this morning though, the aforementioned gaggle between them were all preggo/dieting/medicating/driving, so I got all the wine, what with waste being a sin & everything :roll:

Lizzy, I love it! Bah to the dieting ones, ok the prego ones had a good excuse but still! More wine for you :D

I've been slack in the commuting department. The 'sprained ankle' I rolled 6 weeks ago has, with an MRI scan, turned out to be a torn ligament with a 6-9 month recovery time, and surgery if that doesn't work :-( so I'm trying to take it a little easy. Hard when you're used to 40-50kms a day :-(

I rode into work 3 days this week - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm hanging for a ride tomorrow (Saturday) but looks like it's going to pour down.
isabella24

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting