How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby isabella24 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:58 pm

jasonc wrote:re the rear light - I'm seriously considering the Fly6.

+1. Was going to shell out for a go pro for my commute but the fly6 seems like a much more sensible and convenient option.
isabella24

by BNA » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:36 pm

BNA

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:36 pm

ditto the fly6

alsos i'm currently have a moon rear light and also a knog (bloody bright and so easy to charge)
poohkies

Postby Lizzy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:56 pm

jasonc wrote:Alternatively, I can happily recommend the radbot 1000 - bright as. I use rechargable AAs

edit - not a bad weekend to buy with crc and cellbikes both doing free shipping

Free shipping and half price! Sold, even though my Superflash has survived a second attempt on its own life, I can't work out an alternative attachment system, the radbot apparently has a rack thinger. Superflash goes OK on the back of my helmet so I might do that to build redundancy into the system.

Super hot so I took it easy heading home yesterday. Waiting at the Hutton St lights a skip truck pulled up and unleashed the most demonic bin-smell I've ever been nasally violated by - think offal and tinea milkshake in the sun kind of nasty - it's no easy task to sprint for clear air while simultaneously gagging and retching :x :x
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:52 am

still nowhere near 100% but riding anyway. nice morning in brissy. put a new tyre on the back of the flat bar after some negative comments about the blue protective layer being visible all the way around the tyre. changed the front brake pads too - I can stop!
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:02 am

I was running late on Friday arvo, so took the shorter option back home.

Critters were active again this morning, first, my new friend the wombat ran across the path from right to left (that's his rear end just visible at the top of the cone of light, I swear!):

Then a young fox made a suicidal dash across my front wheel onto the path and took off along it ahead of me for a bit, until he got to his spot somewhere along the left of the path:

Pity that the camera performs so poorly in low light conditions, to the naked eye they were both very visible in my light. That spot of light focused at about 3-4m ahead of my bike, so both of the critters were very close.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby alexander » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 am

TailWind wrote:I was running late on Friday arvo, so took the shorter option back home.

Critters were active again this morning, first, my new friend the wombat ran across the path from right to left (that's his rear end just visible at the top of the cone of light, I swear!)
Pity that the camera performs so poorly in low light conditions, to the naked eye they were both very visible in my light. That spot of light focused at about 3-4m ahead of my bike, so both of the critters were very close.

That's nice that you get to see flora and fauna on your ride (as long as it doesn't decide to cause accidents). Coming from Footscray I see trucks and shipping containers in their natural habitat.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 am

Melburn: 16º, SW wind, 0-5kms. 7:15am Footscray to CBD.

Nice day for a ride but the people riding seemed to be first timers, really wobbly and hard to predict. I'm sure my CCR ratio was amazing, I kinda lost count, but none of them really should count as it wasn't really a race. Felt good up the hills, but long sustained flats on the big ring really took it out of me.
alexander

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:01 pm

alexander wrote:Felt good up the hills, but long sustained flats on the big ring really took it out of me.

I'm the opposite - the hills take it out of me but I'm good on the flat.

On the way home on Friday I had a guy in a BMW fail to give me adequate space in Collins St as he overtook me. Of course, due to traffic, he ends up behind me again at the right hand turn into Albert St and comes too close to my rear wheel as I'm starting the turn.

I catch up to him again at the Hoddle Street lights and was turning left (the bike lane is on the right of the left turners). He had his driver's side window down and I was tempted to politely ask him to give more space to cyclists in the future but he had his headphones in and I didn't feel like being abused at the start of my weekend.

This morning was a nice ride in. No murderous motorists but I did have a suicidal cyclist on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins who decided to run the red and go between me (doing a hook turn), the hook turning motorcyclist on my right and the direction we were both turning as our light turned green. Not the smartest of things to do.
Summernight

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Muggy
find_bruce

Postby rodneycc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Another day another stack on the defy comp 1. Not sure what it is about that bike but its going to be the end of me one day! Anyway not so bad scapped knees and elbows and a sore ribs but should be right by the end if the week to jump back on. Yet to check over the bike more importantly. Rode home ok with the bars a little bent but I think it escaped serious damage (actually pretty tough stuff carbon that's my second drop). Anyway fully pumped up tyres on a grassy embankment at speed I guess now I know is a no no!

Sent via Tapatalk so expect the odd typo and mis-posting!
2012 Giant Defy Compo 1
2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby poohkies » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:11 am

Kenmore to Brisbane Airport

Beautiful commute all the way to the DFO not a drama then what's that up a head, can't see the lights what the hell massive down poor 4 km's from work WT? rain WT?
poohkies

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:28 am

Nice ride home yesterday. Took it easy and enjoyed the scenery. Oh yeah, I almost forgot - a kangaroo jumped across the road right in front of me. Odd for them to be on the move at 4pm.

This morning it was damp at home but not raining. About 3km in the rain started. Not too bad and nothing a hot shower can't fix. :D
DaveOZ

Postby alexander » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:04 am

Summernight wrote:
alexander wrote:Felt good up the hills, but long sustained flats on the big ring really took it out of me.

I'm the opposite - the hills take it out of me but I'm good on the flat.

Do you find that some weeks you're good on hills and rubbish on flats, and the next week it's the opposite? Or is it always great on flats, rubbish on hills, constantly?

Melburn: 16º, no wind. 7:15am Footscray to CBD.

A lot of people in official looking blue t-shirts with clipboards about this morning on the route. Taking down numbers of riders or something?

Anyway, cracking ride this morning, cool, no wind, and I was smashing it. ∞ - 0 CCR today, passed them all. For interest sake I timed my ride and stopped the timer at every set of lights. I spend 5-7 minutes at sets of lights. It takes about 8 km p/hr average speed off my time. No wonder I was doing so badly on my average time. Seeing my ride is so short, it really affects the overall time and speed.
alexander

Postby WarbyD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 am

Uneventful ride in this morning.. Took the bike out for a play on the tracks in Jarrahdale on the weekend (awesome time!) and didn't get around to putting the commuter tyres back on so slow ride in today on the offroad tyres.. Also got myself semi lost trying to add distance to my route through east Perth lol.

Pointless stats:
ImageImage

And, the bike in her natural habitat on Sunday morning:

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD

Postby TailWind » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:59 am

alexander wrote:That's nice that you get to see flora and fauna on your ride (as long as it doesn't decide to cause accidents). Coming from Footscray I see trucks and shipping containers in their natural habitat.

I've had a few very close passes across my front wheel, but no contact. On the other hand there's the, errm, the surprise factor, when a dark shape launches from the shadows that gets me (think werewolf/creature movies) :shock:.
But yeah, I prefer the paths to roads - far more scenic, even though it's slower.

Ok ride back yesterday afternoon, busy along the MYT and DCT. Felt like every man, woman, kid, dog, donkey (yes, really, near Collingwood Children's Farm) was out and about.
Felt a bit slow riding into the CBD this morning, as if the bike didn't want to roll. It was probably just the engine that was low on performance for some reason though...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 am

late commute in after school drop off duties. had all sorts of weather - sunshine, cloud, drizzle, rain, then a rotten headwind

STILL not feeling anywhere near 100%. this is annoying
jasonc

Postby Hamster » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 pm

My stainless steel tubus carrier is currently living up to all my expectations. After several weeks nothing has fallen off and all the welds are intact. After my cheap aluminium Chinese the silence is now almost deafening.

My ride this morning was uneventful but I was surprised to see so many cyclists about given the wet conditions.

My extended commute from Redcliffe to Fortitude Valley is, I admit somewhat tiring but I’ve now done it 23 times and so is now becoming routine. It is amazing how long a small go-card balance can last if you don’t use it.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:23 pm

alexander wrote:
A lot of people in official looking blue t-shirts with clipboards about this morning on the route. Taking down numbers of riders or something?

Super Tuesday Bike Count, so yes.

I saw one today too, as I was running late and ended up getting counted just on 7am as the count started.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby poohkies » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Commute home

what a day, first 10 hour day, left home at 2:45 am and just got home at 4pm , totally stuffed, Go get the kids and then bed :) try and do it allllllll again tomorrow
poohkies

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:17 pm

I've been trying out the "take a look" bicycle mirror as recommended by a few people on here. Took a bit of getting used to but it has been handy. I particularly like how on a main road I can see that there is either no cars coming up in my lane, or that if they are they are moving to the next lane. Its a lot nicer riding along knowing there is nobody racing up behind you, instead of wondering if there is and if you're about to die... Its also handy on a single lane road where I'm in the narrow lane out of the BAZ, to check if there is one or multiple cars approaching from behind. If its a single car I can time jumping into the BAZ between parked cars to let them go past. Multiple cars means I stay in the lane (although I'm getting punished badly for this because of all the "bike lane" space I'm apparently meant to ride in (never mind the parked car every 50-100m)...). I know I could shoulder check but this is either taken as a sign of weakness, or of deliberately holding them up (ie. I looked and could see them and didn't move over). By secretly looking, they just think I'm oblivious :)

Anyway, today I was on a rat running back street that was quiet at that moment, when I saw an ambulance coming up on me with the lights on but no siren. Slowed and moved over into the BAZ 100m before it got to me and signalled that I knew it was coming up. All without looking behind. The driver must have wondered where the eyes in the back of my head were ;)
InTheWoods

Postby cowled » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:25 pm

InTheWoods wrote:I've been trying out the "take a look" bicycle mirror as recommended by a few people on here. Took a bit of getting used to but it has been handy.

Do you think it is worth it? I've been wondering whether to get a mirror.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cowled

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 pm

cowled wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:I've been trying out the "take a look" bicycle mirror as recommended by a few people on here. Took a bit of getting used to but it has been handy.

Ive been riding for the last 21 months with mirrors on my velomobile. Recently I broke my chain and had to ride the MTB in for 2 days. WOW - how did I ever survive without mirrors???
Rhubarb

Postby WarbyD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:22 pm

cowled wrote:

Get one! You won't look back (heh)

Seriously, I am so much more comfortable on the road being able to see what's coming up from behind me.. I think it helps with avoiding driver aggression when claiming lanes too as you're able to choose your moment and move across earlier

WarbyD

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm

WarbyD wrote:
cowled wrote:

Get one! You won't look back (heh)

Seriously, I am so much more comfortable on the road being able to see what's coming up from behind me.. I think it helps with avoiding driver aggression when claiming lanes too as you're able to choose your moment and move across earlier

Pretty much this.
InTheWoods

Postby breensta » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Great ride in this am, great to be counted for Super Tuesday. I started to extend my commute today for some extra spin time in the legs.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
breensta

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting