How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TonyMax » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:12 am

WarbyD wrote:Any of you commuter folks riding a Reid Aquila? For $400, that's looking pretty tempting..

Don't forget to use VIP coupon if you buy online (or get them to match the online price instore) and give it a once over yourself once you get it home (adjust gearing if you're able and make sure it's put together well once you're finished).

I have the Falco Sport, have 2000+km on it and I'm pretty happy with it, the Aquila looks like just a lower spec version with an alloy fork.
TonyMax

by BNA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 am

BNA

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 am

Quick ride last night to meet up with family for a night out at the theatre. Watched a good play called 'Neighbourhood Watch'.

This morning was a bit brisk and I thought I may have underdressed, but all was good. There was a cute dog hanging its head and half its body out the back passenger window right next to the bike lane. He got all excited and was shaking his whole body in glee when I called him a cutie which made me smile. :D
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:22 am

Cool this morning and with a south easterly blowing in my face...it better be around this afternoon when I head back!
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 am

Stopped at LBS in the city- came out to find my lock set to 0000. While it could be OCD, I suspect it was some low life looking to see if I was too lazy to change the standard combo
Image . . . . . . . Image
find_bruce

Postby kb » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Visiting multiple shops? I wouldn't even think of not bringing my bike in a bike shop.

Rode home at lunchtime today. I think I prefer peak hour even though there's more traffic. A bit less ... um, let's call it "creative driving".
kb

Postby __PG__ » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:52 am

Busted another front spoke on the way home. This is the second time in a few months. It might be time to rebuild the front wheel, as some of those spokes/nipples are 20 years old now.
1994 Cecil Walker
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0
__PG__

Postby Hamster » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:15 pm

I rode to work every day last week and have just completed a casual social ride giving me 421 kms for the week. :D

The Tannus tyre on my front wheel has completed just over 10,000 kms and although decidedly worn is still doing its job.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.
Hamster

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:36 am

Friday night's ride was nice, except for the salmon cyclist riding the wrong way up the Albert St bike lanes. I pointed him to the other side of the road where his bike lane was and he gave me a thumbs up in response, so I also responded with a thumbs up. Not much more one can do anyway, and at least he saw me coming and didn't cause problems.

Good ride in this morning too, only one red light running cyclist who wizzed past on my left as I was about to finish my right hand hook turn. I felt the wind coming off him as he brushed past. Smart of him to go on my left and not on my right between me and the van who was also doing the hook turn.
Summernight

Postby Rex » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Perfect weather for cycling in Perth atm so this morning was a recovery commute after yesterdays bunchsmash.
A lot less cyclists out there aswell, I think the cooler weather is starting to sort the boys from the men (so to speak :) )
Rex

Postby TailWind » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Friday afternoon's commute took me straight home, no issues to speak of.
Cool this morning along the creek, a bit of rustling in the undergrowth along the DCT, but no sightings of man or beast at this early hour.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby Lizzy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Made OK time heading in this morning after waking up with tight hamstrings after a couple of dives in big surface chop yesterday (something I always forget to count as exercise and didn't stretch out after).

Managed to get out the door without my keys, including to both my primary and backup bike locks (yep, will be putting that whole system under review...). I could have sworn to Dog I kept spare keys to both at work but couldn't turn them up (yep, I'm that good at keeping things in safe places).

Had to beg the tech workshop guy to babysit my bike in his storeroom for me :oops: :oops: Meanwhile, all the non-grody showers got taken :x

Things can only get better, right? Right! :wink:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby DavidS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:17 am

Lovely day for cycling today: no wind. This is what I like about winter, since I ride home in the evening the prevailing Sou Wester is not blowing, unlike in Spring and Summer. Evenings are just less windy.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:27 am

What a magnificent ride home last night, although I forgot it gets dark quickly without daylight savings. Lots of cyclists out with lots of red blinky lights. :D

Great ride in this morning as well and I had a lovely chat with a fellow cyclist (who rides from Doncaster) while we were waiting for the Hoddle/Albert St lights. I love chatting with people. It makes the ride so enjoyable.
Summernight

Postby Lizzy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:01 am

Banner week for me - here's an official list of the things I've forgotten so far:

To work yesterday: Keys.
Home yesterday: Sunnies. But that's OK, it's getting dark. Waitwait no, not OK, forgot to charge the headlight too. Had to use it in seizure mode the whole way, apologies to everyone coming the other way ...
To work today: Bra and undies :roll: :oops:

Buuut still better than sitting in traffic or getting my face mooshed into someone's armpit on the train. Lovely weather, lovely sunrises/sunsets :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby TailWind » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am

Pleasant ride home yesterday afternoon, temp was just right, and the northerly headwind was gentle.

The Albert St Albert St bike lane presented its usual obstacles in the form of cars and (jaywalking) peds.

She looked, but stubbornly denied my existence, despite my vocal protest..
That's on a fast downhill section too...

Great conditions this morning, warm and calm.
Not liking the look of the BoM radar for Melbourne at the moment.
TailWind

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:40 pm

TailWind wrote:Great conditions this morning, warm and calm.
Not liking the look of the BoM radar for Melbourne at the moment.

yeah it's not promising is it, and theres on chance of avoiding it, as it's covering pretty much the entire 40km radius of Melbourne. But it's light to moderate, so not too bad, but yeah I'd prefer not getting wet…

If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Lizzy wrote:Banner week for me - here's an official list of the things I've forgotten so far:

I didn't want to mention it yesterday, but in the spirit of giving... I did the same thing yesterday. Luckily the sports bra could serve as a sweaty back-up. :P
Summernight

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Summernight wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Banner week for me - here's an official list of the things I've forgotten so far:

I didn't want to mention it yesterday, but in the spirit of giving... I did the same thing yesterday. Luckily the sports bra could serve as a sweaty back-up. :P

:P

My commute this morning was fan-bloody-tastic! Not a single cloud in the sky. A nice 21-22 degrees which IMHO is the perfect temp for cycling - commuting wise. There was also a nice cool breeze. Its school holidays so the roads were virtually car free. Got to work and thought I'd rather be out riding. That changed by about midday when it looked like it was just going to bucket down. Which it did finally did 4 hours later :P
Lukeyboy

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Melburn: 19º NE, 5-10km, Showers/Rain. CBD to Footscray. 5:15pm

Anyone who says they liked the afternoon ride home in Melbourne is a liar. I managed to remember my castelli gabba, and it kept whatever it covered warm and dry on the way home, which was nice. Lots of dirty skid marks up peoples backs, and everyone was taking it easy because of the rain. For some reason, either I felt great or everyone was taking it easy because I was mashing it past everyone easily, and most were happy taking my spray off my back wheel rather than take a turn up front? Weird.

Anyways nice to see all the riders being careful, metal grates, white lines, leaves, puddles, vehicles, crossings. And hardly any bike ninjas, nearly everyone was well lit.
alexander

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 am

after a week off work (sneaked in a ride up mount lofty), I'm back to commuting today
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:39 am

alexander wrote:Anyone who says they liked the afternoon ride home in Melbourne is a liar.

I didn't mind it. Apart from the road grime at least it wasn't windy and cold at the same time. :P

Lovely rides last night and this morning, even with the wet.

On my early morning run there was a dead possum in the middle of the MYT path at the Collingwood Children's Farm. What was extra interesting was the possum had died in attack mode (claws outstretched like a drop bear) and was disemboweled (clearly whatever the possum had fought with - maybe it WAS a drop bear, had decided it was also edible in the underbelly).
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Soaked yesterday afternoon, soaked this morning, and this afternoon seems to be on track for more deposits of wet stuff from above.
Hade a dude on a trail bike pass me from the opposite direction this morning (5am) near Northland, with an MTB strapped across the back of his seat. Nearly took me out.
Hope my kit has dried out...
TailWind

Postby kb » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:31 pm

According to MetEye, we finally get a couple of dry hours next Tuesday night before rain again Wednesday 2am.
kb

Postby alexander » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Summernight wrote:
alexander wrote:Anyone who says they liked the afternoon ride home in Melbourne is a liar.

I didn't mind it. Apart from the road grime at least it wasn't windy and cold at the same time. :P

Lovely rides last night and this morning, even with the wet.

all well and good to say that, but I'd need to see you riding to confirm, I bet your grimaced through tonight's rain too, but you'll be contrary just to get a rise out of me. :P
alexander

Postby cancan64 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Forgot water bottles today so thought I would take it easy going home.... So I detoured up the front of cootha instead of the back and then cruised the river loop and off down wynnum rd... Kept up with the traffic past the balmoral cemetery (a strava pb and in the top 20)..kept the pace going until I got a puncture just past the gateway... The gas canister failed so had to call the wife who fortunately was only 5 min away... Back on the commuter tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.
cancan64

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting