How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 pm

piledhigher wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:
you would have had plenty of rain to wash it down your leg

Not enough :( And what did get washed down just went on my sock.

So I guess right now it is starting to go off like a frog in a sock..

I should report that post... :wink:
InTheWoods

by BNA » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 am

BNA

Postby Summernight » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 am

InTheWoods wrote:The bit where a cane toad hopped under my front wheel and then exploded its entire guts all over my leg was not a good part of my commute home tonight.

Ewww...

I loved the ride in this morning, although I have to apologise to all of the Melbourne riders as I cleaned my chain yesterday lunch time and so must shoulder the blame for all this rain. :P

Last night's ride was a bit of a slog with the headwind, but this morning's was great. I think I had a tailwind to thank for that (and nothing to do with fresh-feeling legs).
Summernight

Postby Whorl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 am

Trip to and from work yesterday I got rained on, shoes filled up so quickly and felt like swimming pools.
Bit the bullet and bought shoe covers from LBS last night, only to make it to work this morning without getting rained on. At least the weather looks to be supporting my purchase by looking horrible in Bris for this arvo!
Whorl

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 am

Whorl wrote:Trip to and from work yesterday I got rained on, shoes filled up so quickly and felt like swimming pools.
Bit the bullet and bought shoe covers from LBS last night, only to make it to work this morning without getting rained on. At least the weather looks to be supporting my purchase by looking horrible in Bris for this arvo!

I've got overshoes. I use them for cold weather. unless they are an absolutely perfect sealed fit, your feet will get wet. My overshoes last about 10 minutes in Brisbane rain.
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 am

Rain last night, radar last night ominous. Radar checked this morning, rain not quite here yet so saddled up and cruised in to work. Expecting to get wet on the way home this arvo - hope my rain jacket is still in the back pack :o

My overshoes keep a fair bit of water out, but it does tend to splash up the sides and the inner side of the heel gets damp. Nowhere near as wet as without though.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Whorl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 am

I am hoping that mine are a good fit and that I can attest to their awesome water repelling properties. I will report back once they have been baptised. :)
Whorl

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:07 am

Whorl wrote:Trip to and from work yesterday I got rained on, shoes filled up so quickly and felt like swimming pools.

Overshoes rock. I have still had damp feet while wearing them if the rain is torrential though, as mine don't seal really tightly around my ankle so water gradually gets in there as it runs down my leg. Nowhere near as bad as without them though.
InTheWoods

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:13 am

Generally uneventful commute home yesterday afternoon.

Woke up to a horrific picture on the BoM radar and prepared myself for a drenching.
I even wielded my ultimate wet weather weapon - my SPD sandals...no wet socks! :mrgreen: Not terribly cycle-chic though, hehe.
Also took the shorter route in, but, as it turned out, I was overly cautious - all I had was fairly light rain door to door.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:16 am

TailWind wrote:Generally uneventful commute home yesterday afternoon.

Woke up to a horrific picture on the BoM radar and prepared myself for a drenching.
I even wielded my ultimate wet weather weapon - my SPD sandals...no wet socks! :mrgreen: Not terribly cycle-chic though, hehe.
Also took the shorter route in, but, as it turned out, I was overly cautious - all I had was fairly light rain door to door.

you should always ride the shorter route TW. now if only I could get andre to catch the train
jasonc

Postby westab » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:23 pm

jasonc wrote:

you should always ride the shorter route TW. now if only I could get andre to catch the train

not only Andre how about the top five to give all us humans a chance. :wink:

Also as a caring person havn't you heard that cycling is no good for your bone density - so for the next 8 months you should set the goal if increasing it by jogging to work. You do know that we should care for each other - I am just trying to help :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby TailWind » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm

westab wrote:
jasonc wrote:

not only Andre how about the top five to give all us humans a chance. :wink:

Also as a caring person havn't you heard that cycling is no good for your bone density - so for the next 8 months you should set the goal if increasing it by jogging to work. You do know that we should care for each other - I am just trying to help :mrgreen:

I apparently increase my bone density through high-impact activities - like throwing myself at the ground every now and then :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:33 pm

TailWind wrote: I apparently increase my bone density through high-impact activities - like throwing myself at the ground every now and then :mrgreen:

don't you dare.
jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm

drenching commute home. oddly, i enjoyed it
don't think my wheel bearings did
jasonc

Postby 98octane » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:53 pm

A few fast commutes recently. Had to ride my Giant TCR to work last week, shaved 5% off the time at least. This week, back to the Trek flat bar, but legs feeling great and less people on the MYT due to damp weather, so averaging >33kph each way.
98octane

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:04 pm

I received a lesson on Tuesday night from the Cell Bikes product manager on how to look more "pro" while commuting on my roadie. :wink:

"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Whorl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Alas, shoe covers are not as amazing as hoped. Probably got around 10mins in the downpour this afternoon before get started to leak, 30mins and I was swimming again. Oh well. :)
Whorl

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:19 pm

At least your feet were warmer :)

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Whorl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Certainly! I will still wear them as decent for short showers, and will be good come winter.
Whorl

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:34 am

Whorl wrote:Alas, shoe covers are not as amazing as hoped. Probably got around 10mins in the downpour this afternoon before get started to leak, 30mins and I was swimming again. Oh well. :)

quote from my post above:
jasonc wrote:My overshoes last about 10 minutes in Brisbane rain.

sounds about right 30 minutes of your rain is about 10 minutes of ours.

Drizzle/mist/fog this morning. Thunderstorms predicted this afternoon. Happy Friday, or something
jasonc

Postby AndreB1972 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:36 am

jasonc wrote:you should always ride the shorter route TW. now if only I could get andre to catch the train

How many CCR points do I get if I catch a train :twisted: I know a scooter is 2 points, so train must be 5....
AndreB1972

Postby Whorl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 am

Whorl wrote:Alas, shoe covers are not as amazing as hoped. Probably got around 10mins in the downpour this afternoon before get started to leak, 30mins and I was swimming again. Oh well. :)

No real heavy rain this morning, but light most of the way in and only got heavier closer in to the city. Surprisingly, whilst my socks were damp when i got to work, there was none of the swimming from yesterday. Maybe this is more the weather they are designed for, or I put them on better.
Whorl

Postby vortex1018 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 am

Pouring on the gold coast today, my shortcut involves riding a section of trail, so I'm covered in mud. (Note to self: never take shortcut when raining, never ever ever ever!). Tried out my new cycling shorts, waterproof!(still covered in mud)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
vortex1018

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 am

AndreB1972 wrote:
jasonc wrote:you should always ride the shorter route TW. now if only I could get andre to catch the train

How many CCR points do I get if I catch a train :twisted: I know a scooter is 2 points, so train must be 5....

Sorry Andre, I don't know that one. I'd struggle to catch this train:

vortex1018 wrote:Note to self: never take shortcut when raining, never ever ever ever!

The paths I'm using don't look too different after a deluge
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 am

Whorl wrote:

No real heavy rain this morning, but light most of the way in and only got heavier closer in to the city. Surprisingly, whilst my socks were damp when i got to work, there was none of the swimming from yesterday. Maybe this is more the weather they are designed for, or I put them on better.

There is a trick to them - put your longs (if you are wearing long pants/knicks/leggings etc) over the top of the shoecovers so the top seal is covered. The other option the LBS man told me was to put vaseline on the top of the shoecovers (where they wrap around your foot) to seal the gap. A lot of water can come through the top and wet the shoes and socks that way. :D

I went for the morning run this morning and it was fairly humid and warm. Then when I hopped on the bike for the ride into work it was chilly. Weird.

Last night was a lovely night for a detour to do an errand. I didn't leave the office until 8PM as I had a function on and had to go a different way home to do said errand. The city is so much nicer when all the cars have left. Although I had a close pass on Victoria St (I really don't like that street) and a MGIFer who broke the 40kph speed limit in another street with speed humps because he just needed to get in front of me, even though I was going at or near the speed limit at the time. Oh well.
Summernight

Postby kb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:49 am

AndreB1972 wrote:

None if it's the Frankston line.
kb

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting