How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Lizzy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:22 am

Still loving this weather, took it easy on the way in today.

A week or so ago I spotted a mini dustpan set in the IGA that looked about the right size to add to my magic carpet bag without too much of a hassle, was nearly a whole week before I needed to use it - freshly smashed Corona bottle right in the middle of the PSP near Harbourtown this morning :|

I totally fancy a beer now ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

by BNA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:42 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:42 pm

many kudos to you Lizzy
jasonc

Postby __PG__ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 pm

A taxi almost collected me this morning. I was riding south on Brunswick st on the left in a painted lane. I had just crossed Merri Creek..the traffic backs up in front of an intersection and a large truck has come to a halt, blocking all sight lines.

The old experienced cyclist in me starts hitting the brakes already...and just before I reach the intersection a taxi cuts across the traffic turning right.

Lucky me.
Last edited by __PG__ on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Cecil Walker
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0
__PG__

Postby TailWind » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Not much to report. Yesterday's ride back involved mugginess, headwinds and a squall with some rain.
Just for a bit of additional fodder for the "when is a bike lane really a bike lane" discussions, here's some footage from Heidelberg Rd near Fairfield (only a bike lane between 4-6pm). Also features a truck door being flung open. Oh the indignity of it all :mrgreen:. Don't like claiming a lane in that 70 km/h section, but it's gotta be done.

Headwind again this morning. Not fair.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby __PG__ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 am

Round the back of the zoo was a bit fruity this morning..perhaps I timed my run with the elephant's morning ablutions?
1994 Cecil Walker
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0
__PG__

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:16 am

__PG__ wrote:Round the back of the zoo was a bit fruity this morning..perhaps I timed my run with the elephant's morning ablutions?

:lol:

I sometimes get the garbage truck whiff or the Carlton Brewery hops smell. I'm not a fan of the hops smell. :D

Lovely ride in this morning, even with the whiplash and sore muscles from my horse slipping and falling completely over onto me on Saturday. I can't really turn my head left without pain at the moment, but who needs the left side anyway? :P
Summernight

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 am

Summernight wrote:I sometimes get the garbage truck whiff or the Carlton Brewery hops smell. I'm not a fan of the hops smell. :D

I have to ride close enough to the XXXX brewery that I can smell it. It's not pleasant
jasonc

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:50 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:I sometimes get the garbage truck whiff or the Carlton Brewery hops smell. I'm not a fan of the hops smell. :D

I have to ride close enough to the XXXX brewery that I can smell it. It's not pleasant

I know - XXXX yuck!
InTheWoods

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:51 am

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:

I know - XXXX yuck!

but you don't have to go that way.
jasonc

Postby Lizzy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Summernight wrote:
__PG__ wrote:Round the back of the zoo was a bit fruity this morning..perhaps I timed my run with the elephant's morning ablutions?

:lol:

I sometimes get the garbage truck whiff or the Carlton Brewery hops smell. I'm not a fan of the hops smell. :D

Bor! :x :lol: Yes smells are always a fun part of bike commuting, more a fan of fresh rain or yummy food cooking than the other side of the coin ...

Nice ride this morning, cooling off substantially though - pulled out the fuzzy leggings and they turned out to be the right choice. Felt good the whole way, I think I'm starting to get used to my new distance.

Caught a lady off-guard coming out of the underpass at Loftus St and she went teetering into a near-clipstack, but caught herself on the limestone before going completely A-O. Had a giggle about it at the lights, told her my turn was still coming. Then a bloke passed me on the Narrows and admired my tail-light's performance on the way through - I keep a planet bike Superflash slipped over my helmet strap, all the better to get closer to motorist eye-level, so it was good to know it's effective, I wasn't sure what the angle would work out as.

And I got locked up and inside like a minute before the rain started :D
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Whilst not a commute, this morning I passed a bakery - made me hungry. Have passed it before to the same result. I don't think it would be good for the figure to live around it, like many houses did.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Lizzy wrote:more a fan of fresh rain or yummy food cooking than the other side of the coin ...

That makes riding home at dinner time very hard when you're hungry and you can smell everybody's dinners!!!!
InTheWoods

Postby kb » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Lizzy wrote:Then a bloke passed me on the Narrows and admired my tail-light's performance on the way through

Last couple of weeks I've had 2 motorists and 2 fellow cycle commuters ask about my front light.

Winter is coming :-)
kb

Postby TailWind » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 pm

Mmmmm, hops...drool.... :D
There's often a lovely smell of roasting barely or mash when I go past on Yarra Boulevard....love it. The raw material smell is great, I'm just not fond of their end product.

Quiet couple of commutes for me. This morning was a little sluggish, possibly due to a foray into some hops related beverages that I concocted a couple of months ago that are aging quite nicely. :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:04 pm

bychosis wrote:Whilst not a commute, this morning I passed a bakery - made me hungry. Have passed it before to the same result. I don't think it would be good for the figure to live around it, like many houses did.

last week I finally stopped at a bakery that I go past when I do a riverloop - I'd been past it 156 times before I finally gave in and bought a doughnut on the 157th attempt
it wasn't as good as it smelt.
jasonc

Postby alexander » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Melburn: 17º, Sunny and what a nice sunrise. 10-15kms N-NE, 7:20am, Footscray to CBD.

Nice ride this morning, although I'm still struggling with this lower back issue. Seems like my sacropinalis right at the base is giving me the most grief. Might be time to either adjust the stem length, or just do some more stretches and develop more of a core. Maybe even both.

Two things stuck out for this mornings ride.

1. The 60+ woman on a tourer, who went through 3 red lights. I ended up yelling at her, when there was a large bunch of us at Footscray and Dudley. She didn't even flinch. Everyone at the lights shook their heads or turned to me and agreed that she wasn't doing the cycling community or herself any favours.

2. The guy who had stacked at the bottom of the rail overpass near the bolte off ramp for footscray rd (one woman has died there already, and they have fences now). Hope he was ok, he had someone with him, he was upright and surprisingly smiling, despite the blood on his face and arms.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby Paul 1965 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:16 pm

alexander wrote:Melburn: 17º, Sunny and what a nice sunrise. 10-15kms N-NE, 7:20am, Footscray to CBD.

Nice ride this morning, although I'm still struggling with this lower back issue. Seems like my sacropinalis right at the base is giving me the most grief. Might be time to either adjust the stem length, or just do some more stretches and develop more of a core. Maybe even both.

Two things stuck out for this mornings ride.

1. The 60+ woman on a tourer, who went through 3 red lights. I ended up yelling at her, when there was a large bunch of us at Footscray and Dudley. She didn't even flinch. Everyone at the lights shook their heads or turned to me and agreed that she wasn't doing the cycling community or herself any favours.

2. The guy who had stacked at the bottom of the rail overpass near the bolte off ramp for footscray rd (one woman has died there already, and they have fences now). Hope he was ok, he had someone with him, he was upright and surprisingly smiling, despite the blood on his face and arms.
I rode twice(a hour apart) over the rail overpass on Footscray rd today and seen two guys on road bikes with flats, there must have been something on the overpass.
Paul 1965

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Rude words were uttered on my way home - not sure if I broke a spoke which got caught up in the chain or if I overshifted & the chain went between the cassette & the spokes & broke them. Net result was the same - 5 broken spokes, all drive side trailing. Only left me with 3 spokes. Wrapped the broken spokes around their neighbour & very gingerly limped home - no braking with the rear disc, no hard accelerations, careful over every little bump & slowly down every hill. Now to go out to the garage & see if I have some 283 mm spokes

Edit: looked when I got home - the remnants of 5 j bends so definitely overshifted.
Last edited by find_bruce on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
find_bruce

Postby westab » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 am

Bummer Bruce - hope you found the spokes you needed. If you did please don't forget to adjust the high limit so the chain won't jump in there again.

Good ride in this morning till there was the walk of shame for the last 800m to work after a puncture - I could have fixed it but whats the point when it would have taken me longer than the walk; and work has benches, my floor pump and good tool kit for repairs. Will be swaping the tube at lunch time.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:05 am

Melburn: 20º, Overcast. 20+kms N-NE, 7:20am, Footscray to CBD.

Very uneventful ride this morning, which is good, because nothing bad happened. Back is still ginger and the head/cross wind was a bit rubbish, but besides that, nice ride this morning.
alexander

Postby oxonabike » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:01 am

westab wrote:
Good ride in this morning till there was the walk of shame for the last 800m to work after a puncture - I could have fixed it but whats the point when it would have taken me longer than the walk; and work has benches, my floor pump and good tool kit for repairs. Will be swaping the tube at lunch time.

Bummer! I've been lucky with flats so far - but I know I'm tempting fate just typing that. Anyway on a more serious note, I hope you turned off your gps / garmin etc for that 800 metre walk! :wink:
oxonabike

Postby TonyMax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:09 am

I am itching to commute to give my new bike a run, but...

1. My surgeon said nothing strenuous until at least 12/4,
2. I don't want to ride the new bike if it looks like rain and I've ridden the old (now wet weather) bike to work many times, and
3. It's very dark in the mornings at the moment I think I will wait until next week.

:)
TonyMax

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 am

TonyMax wrote:I am itching to commute to give my new bike a run, but...

3. It's very dark in the mornings at the moment I think I will wait until next week.

:)

wont be getting any lighter as we head into winter, maybe time to invest in some bright lights. :P
alexander

Postby westab » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 am

oxonabike wrote:
westab wrote:

Bummer! I've been lucky with flats so far - but I know I'm tempting fate just typing that. Anyway on a more serious note, I hope you turned off your gps / garmin etc for that 800 metre walk! :wink:

Mate - Garmin / gps - that's much too high tech for me. My pride and joy is a big W repco bike computer that my kids got me about 5 years ago for fathers day. It has been hammered but just keeps going. the only thing that gets replaced is the battery every 2nd year.

And yes I did pull it off so as not to claim those 800m as riding in the Gretaboy challenge :lol: (actually so my ever so slow average speed was not affected).

good luck with the puncture this afternoon. :wink: hoping you don't get one. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:25 am

Nice ride in this morning and nice ride home last night (although I felt the hot air cough coming on with the heat). A car cut me off last night (part-MGIF, part-ignore the bike in the disappearing bike lane) where a bike lane just disappears and the road narrows, but that was also partly my fault because I hadn't claimed the lane earlier and I should have instead of blindly following the bike lane to its demise.
Summernight

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting