How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby alexander » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Summernight wrote:
alexander wrote:Anyone who says they liked the afternoon ride home in Melbourne is a liar.

I didn't mind it. Apart from the road grime at least it wasn't windy and cold at the same time. :P

Lovely rides last night and this morning, even with the wet.

all well and good to say that, but I'd need to see you riding to confirm, I bet your grimaced through tonight's rain too, but you'll be contrary just to get a rise out of me. :P
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

by BNA » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 pm

BNA

Postby cancan64 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Forgot water bottles today so thought I would take it easy going home.... So I detoured up the front of cootha instead of the back and then cruised the river loop and off down wynnum rd... Kept up with the traffic past the balmoral cemetery (a strava pb and in the top 20)..kept the pace going until I got a puncture just past the gateway... The gas canister failed so had to call the wife who fortunately was only 5 min away... Back on the commuter tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
cancan64

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 pm

What can I say: wet!

But, of course, no road grime for me, I have full mudguards and mudflaps front and back. The only water I get comes from the sky and is much cleaner.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:54 am

alexander wrote:
Summernight wrote:
alexander wrote:Anyone who says they liked the afternoon ride home in Melbourne is a liar.

I didn't mind it. Apart from the road grime at least it wasn't windy and cold at the same time. :P

Lovely rides last night and this morning, even with the wet.

all well and good to say that, but I'd need to see you riding to confirm, I bet your grimaced through tonight's rain too, but you'll be contrary just to get a rise out of me. :P

:lol:

No grimacing. Like I said, at least it isn't windy and cold. I don't mind the rain we've been having - it hasn't been bucketing down, just steady rain.

DavidS wrote:What can I say: wet!

But, of course, no road grime for me, I have full mudguards and mudflaps front and back. The only water I get comes from the sky and is much cleaner.

I have full mudguards as well. The road grime comes from the cyclists/cars around me or the extra deep puddles I've ridden through. The mudguards stop oodles of grime, but not all.

Nice wet rides home last night and to work this morning. I love the mudguards, booties, leggings etc. which mean that everything dries quickly or doesn't get wet at all and my arms are easily dried. It is a miracle! :P

It is also too hot to wear anything more than the usual - I'm wearing my gilet, jersey and usual cycling skirt, just with the extra addition of the leggings so I don't get road grime sprayed up on my legs.

Although in this weather you have to be really watchful not to get stuck behind someone without full mudguards who will spray the grime up onto your arms or face.
Summernight

Postby TonyMax » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

Stupid rain for the next five days means I won't get my new fair weather bike out for a commute until next Wednesday :(.

At least I should be more healed by then and get to go for the lunch time squirt with the work folks that day as well (putting more ks in my legs for the 6k challenge).
TonyMax

Postby cancan64 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Forgot waterbottle again...Went on a group ride this morning and then detoured home to get laptop and fill the waterbottle...and left it on the bench...lucky its not hot.
So far this week I have left them behind 3 times and remembered once...
cancan64

Postby TailWind » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm

There's something about the rain. It seems to permeate through some people's skulls and dilute their ability to think.
Yesterday's rainy commute home featured a number of these people with this affliction.
Dinging my bell or yelling out didn't do much to bring them out of their torpor and alert then to the fact they they were stumbling about in dedicated bike lanes or blocking shared paths.

Albert St Copenhagen lane

a couple of cyclists getting in on the act

and some more headless chook action

Got pretty soaked yesterday afternoon, but this morning was ok, bar a few drops here and there. Very wet roads though.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:11 pm

TW - at least they weren't driving....
jasonc

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Rolling home in the rain tonight with the Marathons squelching over a thick carpet of twigs, leaves, mud, and decomposing Moreton Bay Figs, I thought to myself: "this is the reason I dragged mudguards to and from work on all those sunny days".
FiveDaysAWeek

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 am

I enjoy all my cycling, regardless of the weather.
Cyclophiliac

Postby tubby74 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am

Weather report last night said rain and thunderstorms all day Result was a brilliant sunny autumn morning with very few riders out. Or maybe the end of dst has people not wanting to ride home in the dark.
tubby74

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am

TailWind wrote:There's something about the rain. It seems to permeate through some people's skulls and dilute their ability to think.
Yesterday's rainy commute home featured a number of these people with this affliction.
Dinging my bell or yelling out didn't do much to bring them out of their torpor and alert then to the fact they they were stumbling about in dedicated bike lanes or blocking shared paths.

I also had issues with Albert St last night.

Last night was the most unpleasant ride of the rainy rides this week. I think because the rain was pelting down heavier than I've had in the past few days. I had to take the glasses off and the eyes were stinging from the rain.

There was a car parked between the bollards completely blocking the bike lane on Albert St, East Melbourne again last night (although the City of Melbourne says that NEVER happens). Looks like they've once again misinterpreted the bike lane as the parking bay, even with the bright white parking bay lines right beside.

And then further down Albert St two pedestrians decided to run out over the bike lane without looking and try and kill themselves on my bike. I started shouting 'STOP!' when I realised what they were about to do. The second one heard me and stopped but I missed the first one by inches and the wet doesn't make it easy to brake to avoid them. I have to agree with TailWind: why does rain make people idiots? :|

This morning was only a light drizzle, but the wind that has been absent these past few days came back. Boo. Booties, socks, gloves and the bottom of my leggings were still wet too from last night's deluge.
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:55 am

No rain for me yesterday afternoon, so apart from a little spray off the roads, I was fairly dry, until:
The underpass at the M80 Ring Road flooded after a couple of days' of moderate rain.
With all the millions Vic Roads spent on widening the M80, it's a realy pity that they didn't think to raise the path a little to prevent this important section from flooding.
They had enough time after all - this section of the trail was closed for over a year.

Anyway, decided to roll through there, the water was still and I could see the path just under the surface. It got a little deeper than I thought, so I unclipped one foot, and used the other to ratchet forward in the highest pedal position possible. Still got my toes soaked though.
At least I didn't go for an involuntary swim like I did when the MYT flooded at Abbortsford one year and I strayed off the path and into a channel full of river water on my left.

Rain out the gate this morning, but it eased off after 20 minutes. My BB started making unlovely noises yesterday afternoon and this morning, so I'm having that looked at as I type, so hopefully I'll have a non-creaky/clunky ride this arvo.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby kb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Getting used to sitting on a wet sponge - not sure I really want to. I like the fresh air and non-greasy roads. Also got to try out Castelli Nanoflex arms. Very hydrophobic. I've been putting my arms under taps everywhere just for the fun of it :-)
kb

Postby alexander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:43 pm

kb wrote:Also got to try out Castelli Nanoflex arms. Very hydrophobic. I've been putting my arms under taps everywhere just for the fun of it :-)

How good are they! I've got the entire set, arms, legs, jersey!
alexander

Postby __PG__ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Have enjoyed the last few days as a test of my wet weather gear. It's also funny how by the third day of rain you become almost immune to it. I got a bit wet in some showers in both the morning and afternoon this morning but I couldn't be bothered putting in my jacket for drizzle.

I'm come to the conclusion that my BBB water flex booties are useless. A shame as the pair I bought two years ago were pretty good, but this pair are falling apart about eight months. Despite silicone sealing the sole around my cleats and duct taping the top of the bootie to my leg I'm still getting wet. May try some Endura neoprene booties next.

Have a Gabba and nano flex arm warmers on order. They would seem to be the perfect items for a 30 minute commute. They would sure breath better than my ancient Netti entrant jacket that is for sure.
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Being POETS day I gave myself an early mark & rode home a roundabout way through Sydney's north shore. Uploaded the ride to strava when SWMBO walked past. Busted playing hooky :oops:
find_bruce

Postby DavidS » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:29 am

Summernight wrote:It is also too hot to wear anything more than the usual - I'm wearing my gilet, jersey and usual cycling skirt, just with the extra addition of the leggings so I don't get road grime sprayed up on my legs.

Sure is, I certainly can't wear a rain jacket in this weather. I don't feel the cold much and with the temperatures as they are at the moment the vest part of my jacket is as much as I can handle.

By the way, adding mudflaps to mudguards makes a big difference. And, I just avoid riding behind those without mudguards, too much spray.

I decided Thursday would be a day on the train, I think my shoes are still wet from Wednesday, but I rotate 2 pairs so that is ok. Today got to work and back with barely any rain, the timing worked out for me.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:29 pm

On the way in to night shift last night, good. Nice tailwind and plenty of go in the legs after 2 days off the bike due to rain :)
On the way back home this morn after said 14 hr night shift, slow creep into a head wind :(
warthog1

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:10 am

Damp roads and heavy legs after yesterday's effort. At least it's a short week
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 am

Nice ride in this morning. I cleaned the bike on Sunday so it doesn't sound as gritty and terrible as it did with all that rain last week. Looks like one of my front brake pads is wearing faster than the other and has just about had it, which is a nuisance.
Summernight

Postby PlantPowered » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:36 am

Im really missing commuting. I work 18km away and the only way there is on a major highway. Thought I had pushed my luck for long enough. Got 3 kids depending on me
PlantPowered

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 am

Winter is coming. First change from the summer gear this morning and another data point on the table:
> 17C : shorts and short sleeved jersey.
15.6C : + long sleeved jersey.
FiveDaysAWeek

Postby alexander » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:56 am

Melburn: 12º. SE wind 10-15kms. Sunny Some cloud. 7:20am. Footscray to CBD.

Some nice weather this week, which is a complete change from last week. Like Summernight, I cleaned my bike on the weekend, and there was a lot of sand and grit in the bucket after I'd finished. A definite chill in the air, so I wore my sun sleeves on today just to take the chill off. Still not wearing any proper warmers, or winter gloves. My legs felt really dead this morning, clearly too many days off last week has killed me.
alexander

Postby WarbyD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 am

Siiiiiigh.. on the bus/train until at least Thursday this week.. had rear wheel rebuilt under warranty a couple of weeks ago, told to bring it back in after a couple hundred KM to have the spokes re-tensioned, called up to book it in on Thursday - thinking drop it in Saturday, pick it up Sunday. Nope. Apparently booked up until Wednesday.. Noticed a couple of loose spokes so not keen to ride it until they've been back over it :(
WarbyD

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting