How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon May 05, 2014 12:08 pm

First time commuting in the bike tights this morning as the temperature dipped to 10C, wearing them over shorts and a long sleeved jersey over a short sleeved one. Very comfortable and no inclination to drop a layer on the way in.

Surprisingly not that affected by yesterday's 76km Ride-to-Riverstone charity event and the 3km MS swim effort the day before, but now listening to the office chorus of coughs, sneezes, throat clearing and sniffles with some anxiety.
FiveDaysAWeek

by BNA » Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

BNA

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Lizzy wrote:Nearly wussed out this morning after waking up to the pit-pat of rain on the front porch, but decided to HTFU, put on all the gear, and give the new mudguards a system test. Of course, the rain cleared as I opened the front door so I was steaming in 5 minutes. Ditched the beanie in Osborne Park, thinking if I took the jacket off first it would rain again. By the bottom of George St I bit the bullet, stuffed the jacket into my rackbag, then got wind-chill from all the sweat (nice!) and put the beanie back on again. Couldn't get the temp right until I found some CCR action.

What music did you choose for (1) the strip tease & (2) the chase scene :D
find_bruce

Postby jasonc » Mon May 05, 2014 12:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Nearly wussed out this morning after waking up to the pit-pat of rain on the front porch, but decided to HTFU, put on all the gear, and give the new mudguards a system test. Of course, the rain cleared as I opened the front door so I was steaming in 5 minutes. Ditched the beanie in Osborne Park, thinking if I took the jacket off first it would rain again. By the bottom of George St I bit the bullet, stuffed the jacket into my rackbag, then got wind-chill from all the sweat (nice!) and put the beanie back on again. Couldn't get the temp right until I found some CCR action.

What music did you choose for (1) the strip tease & (2) the chase scene :D

good point. lizzy is one for detail and she's definitely missed the mark on this occasion.
jasonc

Postby Lizzy » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Hrmn, possibly a mash up of Benny Hill's Yackety Sax and the Baby Elephant Walk would be apt!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Robinho » Mon May 05, 2014 6:44 pm

I too woke concerned by the sound of early morning Perth rain, but on checking the radar it looked to have cleared, so I set off with long sleeves and pants, but kept the jacket in the backpack. Encountered a few drops, and the roads were damp, but I was perfectly dressed for a grey 14 degree morning. Was surprised by the number of fellow riders, expected more fair weather drop outs. All in it was a nice ride, decent pace, nice and cool, albeit I had the headwind as I came south.
Robinho

Postby Timeonabike » Tue May 06, 2014 3:39 am

I feel that I have an enviable commute just now, for hopefully another month or so, as I'm working in Rotterdam.

Starting to get a feel for the way the Dutch system works, and have already developed a hatred for the mopeds on the bike paths - yeah I know they're legal but...CAAAARRRN???

Anyway, weather has even gone nice on me, birds, ducks, flowers, dutchgirlsonbikes, and many more things to behold.

Not sure if I'll ever wanna come back.

Cheers

Tijm
Timeonabike

Postby TailWind » Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 am

Slight departure from the normal, mundane commute yesterday afternoon.
A colleague, who had just been outside for a walk mentioned that it was pelting down outside, just as I was getting ready to leave. Dressed for rain and headed off, only to be greeted with sunshine and glistening streets in the CBD:

Oveheated once I got to the Darebin Creek Trail at Alphington and had to change kit to something cooler.
Hasn't taken long for the trail-bike bogans to vandlise the "No motorbikes" signage on the path:

Riding through the spot where my front tyre was trapped in a groove between two concrete sections a few weeks ago, this happened:

The path was pretty dry, and there wasn't any debris or slippery muck that I could make out. The only explanation I have is that the outer grooves of the tread on my front tyre had accumulated some mud from a detour through some grass and dirt around a closed section of the path about 1km back.
No bikes or riders were harmed during the filming of this footage. :mrgreen:

The roads were wet again this morning, but nothing untoward happened.
Sighted a ninja, all in black, no lights or reflective strips heading down a damp Collins St, both arms folded across his chest...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Tue May 06, 2014 8:49 am

Hope you are ok TW. Is there a rubber strip between the concrete path sections?

Cold again in Brissy
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 am

jasonc wrote:Hope you are ok TW. Is there a rubber strip between the concrete path sections?

All good, barely a scratch. Nope, there's none of that rubbery stuff in any of the expansion joints, however, this time I don't think that played a role, the front washed out on the section between joints...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby rangersac » Tue May 06, 2014 9:26 am

The only thing it looks like from your video is that you might've hit a slightly wetter patch. Is it a really smooth patch of concrete there or does it have a bit of grain for grip, Also what tyres are you using Tailwind? You shouldn't get a washout there without doing something fairly spectacular really.

Winter has definitely made it to Hobart, with wind, rain, and snowy views of the mountain on the commute to work this morning. Grabbed the bike only to find the front tyre had deflated overnight thanks to a faulty valve. The silver lining was that whilst changing the tube the heavy squall cleared leaving me with a rain free window to get to work before the next one hit.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby TailWind » Tue May 06, 2014 9:36 am

rangersac wrote:The only thing it looks like from your video is that you might've hit a slightly wetter patch. Is it a really smooth patch of concrete there or does it have a bit of grain for grip, Also what tyres are you using Tailwind? You shouldn't get a washout there without doing something fairly spectacular really.

I had a look at the surface afterwards - 90% dry, very mildy damp, not enough to be slippery - the surface is also fairly rough/grainy, as I can attest from my previous close encounter there. Wasn't going very fast either because of the awkward line I have to take to cross the wide groove at the entry into the turn at a fairly perpendicular angle.
I'm thinking some mud had built up in the outer grooves of the front tyre, which then contacted the surface and caused the slip in the turn...
SMP 700x25 on the front...I'm a bit dubious about the level of grip this tyre has when cornering hard...thinking of going back to the Durano Plus...
TailWind

Postby rangersac » Tue May 06, 2014 9:46 am

TailWind wrote:SMP 700x25 on the front

Whilst I'm an SMP fan, I think you might be on the money here as I always thought they were a bit twitchy in the wet. I switched to using Vittoria Randonneurs for my commuting duties, initially due to their lower profile as I had some clearance issues on the front fork. I'll be sticking with them over the SMPs from now on as I feel a lot happier when it's slippery.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 am

First ever puncture on my Gatorskins this morning. I pulled a big glass shard out of the front tire on Wednesday and I think the remnants of it created a slow puncture this morning. I started to flat just around the corner from work so I decided to walk in and will fix it at lunchtime.
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Postby jasonc » Tue May 06, 2014 10:05 am

rangersac wrote:
TailWind wrote:SMP 700x25 on the front

Whilst I'm an SMP fan, I think you might be on the money here as I always thought they were a bit twitchy in the wet. I switched to using Vittoria Randonneurs for my commuting duties, initially due to their lower profile as I had some clearance issues on the front fork. I'll be sticking with them over the SMPs from now on as I feel a lot happier when it's slippery.

They are a harder compound than say a Durano. But that's what provides their longevity. I'm cautious in the wet on them.

You couldn't get me back on Randonneurs if you gave them to me.
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Tue May 06, 2014 10:12 am

jasonc wrote:They are a harder compound than say a Durano. But that's what provides their longevity.

Absolutely. But since the front doesn't experience the same level of wear as the rear, I'm leaving the still new SMP on the rear and sticking the SDP ordered 10mins ago on the front. Decided I want something stickier there for my riding style and conditions :wink:
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Tue May 06, 2014 10:26 am

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:They are a harder compound than say a Durano. But that's what provides their longevity.

Absolutely. But since the front doesn't experience the same level of wear as the rear, I'm leaving the still new SMP on the rear and sticking the SDP ordered 10mins ago on the front. Decided I want something stickier there for my riding style and conditions :wink:

#hardass

I've got a schwalbe marathon (aka greenguard) to go on the front next. Hopefully a bit softer, not that I'm complaining as it's been on the bike for nearly 2 years.
jasonc

Postby alexander » Tue May 06, 2014 11:47 am

Melburn: 10º, overcast, NW Wind, 10-15kms. FTY to CBD.

Decided last minute this morning to ride as I've been really lazy the last 3 days or so. Cool morning, and I was covered head to toe. Shoe covers right up to winter gloves.

Hardly anyone out. But for those who were commuting, I think I saw nearly a 50% ratio of women to men. Awesome to see. Did some great CCR action today, older guy in his 50's really punching it. He ended up beating me overtaking on a blind corner, which I'm glad I didn't take as he barely missed an oncoming rider.

Otherwise happy with my time and effort even if I feel fat and slow from lack of effort lately.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

Postby Bentnose » Tue May 06, 2014 9:12 pm

In a word Dog. Counted 7 dogs roaming around without leads and nearly ran over a steaming pile of dog turd right in the middle of the road as well as a dog stopped right in the middle of the Darebin trail, dog owners are a law onto themselves. With clearing showers expected to get wet going in and be dry coming home, it was the other way around.
Bentnose

Postby jules21 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:00 am

i was dodging the Kew Boullie tacks last night by riding in the car lane, spurning the adjacent copenhagen bike lanes and thinking to myself "i just don't care what you think, drivers!" then later realised my rear light had flamed out... :oops:
jules21

Postby bychosis » Wed May 07, 2014 9:09 am

Quite cool out this morning, but not cold enough for extra gear. Extended my commute to deliver an item back to some friends. On the way back from the detour encountered a few courteous motorists. On turning right out of a T and into a slip lane there was a line of cars travelling at about 70 as far as I could see back. One car slowed to let in some cars ahead of me and the car beside slowed enough to allow me through to the shoulder. Wave of thanks. Later when the bike lane disappeared and the shoulder filled with parked cars a car slowed for me to merge into the lane. Both times it was a delay of only a few seconds for the motorist but made my life a heck of a lot easier.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby TailWind » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am

Plenty of traffic yesterday afternoon, with a couple of SMIDSYs crossing paths with me, and a lady suddenly bringing her car to a dead stop in the right hand lane of Station St just over the tracks for no apparent reason (nor traffic in front of her, no oncoming traffic, no indicators), with me right behind her intending to turn right. Hit the brakes, locked up, let go of brakes and swerved around her and made my turn. Weird.

Paths weren't without challenges either. Elderly couple with mutt on the DCT, heading my way, taking up two thirds of the path. Ring bell, once, twice, thrice, no reaction, so I slip by on the right. Old chap nearly jumps out of his skin and jells out "Jeeeeezuusssss!!". Felt a bit sorry for him, hope his ticker didn't take to much strain.
I suspect that the elderly may not hear higher frequencies very well, so perhaps the dinging of the bell is not really the best way to catch their attention...and an AZ may be lethal, so maybe I'll resort to yelling :? .

Had my own arrythmia-inducing encounter on the paths this morning. Turned right onto the Western Ring Road Trail from an access path opposite Continental in Bundoora, and saw a hulking grey shape immediately on my right. Yelled out and nearly jumped out of my saddle! The roo meanwhile was completely unfazed....
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 am

I may have got one of those speed indicator smiley face signs to frown at me this morning

My legs are smashed. By the time I get home tonight, that'll be 400kms in 5 days.
jasonc

Postby Rhubarb » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 am

jasonc wrote:
My legs are smashed. By the time I get home tonight, that'll be 400kms in 5 days.

If I catch you up a hill this afternoon I'm still going to slap you. It was a standing offer remember :-P
Rhubarb

Postby jasonc » Thu May 08, 2014 9:00 am

Rhubarb wrote:
jasonc wrote:

If I catch you up a hill this afternoon I'm still going to slap you. It was a standing offer remember :-P

I won't have any energy to fight back
*mental note* leave before Rhubarb
jasonc

Postby alexander » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 am

Melburn: 4º, sunny, hardly any wind, 0-5km NE. FTY to CBD. 7.20am

So crisp and clear this morning. What a superb day to ride. They had freshly mowed the grass along the footscray rd path, so a lovely smell of cut grass. Balloons floating across the sky. Just perfect.

Wore 3/4 knicks, arm warmers, gloves, gabba jacket, winter hat, shoe covers, and I was plenty warm enough. Also swapped the tyres over to 700x35 Schwalbe Kojaks, certainly a livelier and nicer ride than the 28 gators. Plus they're so much easier to get on the rims. Might stick with these if they are as puncture resistant.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting