How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby oxonabike » Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 am

jasonc wrote:
"Cyclist down in horrific shape cairns. Got cleaned up commuting through cook highway roundabouts."

:(

:shock: Haven't heard anything from local sources as yet but will keep an ear out. Those damned roundabouts are shockers but apparently undergoing a safety upgrade.
oxonabike

by BNA » Mon May 26, 2014 10:43 am

BNA

Postby jasonc » Mon May 26, 2014 10:43 am

oxonabike wrote:
jasonc wrote:
"Cyclist down in horrific shape cairns. Got cleaned up commuting through cook highway roundabouts."

:(

:shock: Haven't heard anything from local sources as yet but will keep an ear out. Those damned roundabouts are shockers but apparently undergoing a safety upgrade.

You're the first person I thought of when I read it Ox. phew.
jasonc

Postby Summernight » Mon May 26, 2014 10:59 am

Still sick. Into my second week of it now. Don't breathe the same air as me at the moment or you'll be infected too. :P

I didn't think I'd be well enough to ride this morning, but I hopped on and plugged away and it wasn't that bad a ride.
Summernight

Postby TailWind » Mon May 26, 2014 11:28 am

DavidS wrote:Bucketing rain as I got up this morning. Was pretty much resigned to taking the train to work. DS

:mrgreen:
7 degrees C : Singlet and shorts, woohooo!
A few drops of rain : Blimey! I'm taking the train!

Cool ride in this morning, misty along the creek. More traffic than usual for 4:15am on a Monday morning, especially in the outer north.
Saw a fox near Gore St in Collingwood on the way in.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Mon May 26, 2014 11:36 am

TailWind wrote:A few drops of rain : Blimey! I'm taking the train!

damn it! you'd given me hope
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Mon May 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Great to ride to work at a normal hour! Still to cold though, probably shouldn't have tried to ride the 29'r that far but O wells
poohkies

Postby TailWind » Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 pm

jasonc wrote:

you've got two days on me already, what more do you want :wink:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Mon May 26, 2014 1:05 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:

you've got two days on me already, what more do you want :wink:

I need ~3 weeks on you by october
jasonc

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Entirely pleasant ride to work this morning.. added a second layer of cork tape to my bars in an attempt to alleviate a bit of hand pain I had been experiencing, and it appears to have been a resounding success so that's a bonus. Still getting a bit of wrist pain, but I believe this is due to the stem being a touch longer than I need so hoping that the shorter stem I have ordered will sort that out. Decided to try a bit of "heart rate zone training" for this mornings ride - left with the intention of staying entirely in "Zone 2" and "Zone 3" but found that almost impossibly low lol. Staying in zone 3 seemed to only be possible with next to zero effort, and my normal "taking it easy" had me sitting in the low end of zone 4 most of the ride.. Certainly didn't feel as taxing as I would expect at "zone 4" though - Any suggestions here? Should I bump my max HR up to adjust the zones accordingly? (all of the online "estimates" put me at around 191bpm max HR - highest I've seen recorded by my HRM is 223bpm)

Almost wound up in the river at the canning bridge underpass due to a whole heap of wet leaves across the path on the corner - front wheel slipped and rear wheel went sliding too but was able to throw a foot down and keep going (hooray for MTB'ing IMO). Almost stopped to try and clear it but didn't have anything to use other than my feet, and I'm not sure that scraping the squishy mess across more of the path in an attempt to kick it all away would have made things any better. Fingers crossed noone comes off there as a result of those leaves though - it could certainly get nasty if they came off the path onto the rocks at the water's edge!! Out of interest - what do others do about this sort of thing? Should it be reported to council? Is there some sort of fancy little folding tool I should be carrying to do a bit of cleanup when I encounter it?
WarbyD

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon May 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Commuter's front brake failed the squeeze test last night (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75640), so came in on the fair weather bike this morning. Definitely faster but I'm not a fan of backpacks and will need to get my regular ride and her mudguards / waterproof panniers / disk brakes (hmmmm) back on the road before Friday when the rain is scheduled to return.
FiveDaysAWeek

Postby TailWind » Mon May 26, 2014 1:44 pm

TailWind wrote:you've got two days on me already, what more do you want :wink:

jasonc wrote:I need ~3 weeks on you by october

Hmm, don't think I'll be able to oblige unless I head off for some work overseas in the next month or two....
TailWind

Postby jasonc » Mon May 26, 2014 1:54 pm

WarbyD wrote:Staying in zone 3 seemed to only be possible with next to zero effort, and my normal "taking it easy" had me sitting in the low end of zone 4 most of the ride..

wow. zone 4 takes a crap load of work for me to get into. slow down til you can ride in zone 2 and 3. sometimes to go faster, you have to slow down.
jasonc

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 26, 2014 2:02 pm

jasonc wrote:
WarbyD wrote:Staying in zone 3 seemed to only be possible with next to zero effort, and my normal "taking it easy" had me sitting in the low end of zone 4 most of the ride..

wow. zone 4 takes a crap load of work for me to get into. slow down til you can ride in zone 2 and 3. sometimes to go faster, you have to slow down.

That's just it... I can't get down to zone 2 and struggle to stay in zone 3. It's not about slowing down.. I *did* make a point of slowing down and avoiding effort to try and keep the HR down, but I just couldn't get it down there haha. I could sit all day quite comfortably in the lower end of zone 4..
WarbyD

Postby Lizzy » Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm

WarbyD wrote:Almost wound up in the river at the canning bridge underpass due to a whole heap of wet leaves across the path on the corner - front wheel slipped and rear wheel went sliding too but was able to throw a foot down and keep going (hooray for MTB'ing IMO). Almost stopped to try and clear it but didn't have anything to use other than my feet, and I'm not sure that scraping the squishy mess across more of the path in an attempt to kick it all away would have made things any better. Fingers crossed noone comes off there as a result of those leaves though - it could certainly get nasty if they came off the path onto the rocks at the water's edge!! Out of interest - what do others do about this sort of thing? Should it be reported to council? Is there some sort of fancy little folding tool I should be carrying to do a bit of cleanup when I encounter it?

Likewise, I nearly went into an oncoming rider because of those. I personally would not linger under C-Bridge to clean up for fear of being cleaned up myself - just point out the hazard to any oncoming riders is probably the extent of one's duty IMHO. Perhaps a council feedback/complaint form might lead to action - it has for me in Stirling once. I do actually schlep around a little dustpan for clearing aside glass when it is safe & opportune to do so - you would be thoroughly unsurprised to hear how often it comes out. (In Bullcreek this morning on the remains of someone's vodka bottle as a matter of fact, street drinkers are getting fancy around those parts!).

Otherwise my commute was nice - pleasant dusting of misty rain, and fragrant - someone in the RAC building had raisin toast, omnom ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Phoned the City of South Perth just now and advised them that a large amount of leaves had built up around the underpass and was creating a slip hazard to cyclists using the path.. The lady I spoke to said she would "put it through to get done" so hopefully they send someone down to tidy it up..
WarbyD

Postby jasonc » Mon May 26, 2014 3:13 pm

WarbyD wrote:
jasonc wrote:

That's just it... I can't get down to zone 2 and struggle to stay in zone 3. It's not about slowing down.. I *did* make a point of slowing down and avoiding effort to try and keep the HR down, but I just couldn't get it down there haha. I could sit all day quite comfortably in the lower end of zone 4..

maybe you just have a "butterfly heart"
jasonc

Postby WarbyD » Mon May 26, 2014 3:49 pm

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/03/hi ... tions.html

Hmmm, so, perhaps I just have a "high normal heart rate" .. I certainly don't have any issues when my heart is belting away faster than expected, and as long as I have had a HRM it has been consistently higher than I expected it "should" be so not an anomoly...

*shrugs*

Guess I need to work out what my actual Max HR is and base my zones off that instead of what the interwebz tell me...
WarbyD

Postby poohkies » Mon May 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Brissy airport to South back to Kenmore on the h0nzo 29'r (needs a better seat)

what a blast of an afternoon, had the old girl smoking from the airport to southbank, got the back of a roadie (hehehehe) didn't enjoy my monster truck wheels sounds so he pushed hard and just kept coasting! meet the wife beautfiul ride home and then meet the kids at daycare and we all road home :) hope to do it again soon :)
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Mon May 26, 2014 7:35 pm

poohkies wrote:meet the wife beautfiul ride home and then meet the kids at daycare and we all road home :) hope to do it again soon :)

that sounds awesome.

update on the cairns cyclist. he was training for the cairns ironman. he's all good. just a few scrapes and bruises. bike is a writeoff though
jasonc

Postby DavidS » Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 am

TailWind wrote:
DavidS wrote:Bucketing rain as I got up this morning. Was pretty much resigned to taking the train to work. DS

:mrgreen:
7 degrees C : Singlet and shorts, woohooo!
A few drops of rain : Blimey! I'm taking the train!

Haha good one!

I'm happy enough to ride home in the rain (prefer not to but it doesn't worry me much). But getting to work and trying to dry everything out is too much of a pain so, yeah, if it is raining in the morning I take the train. Add to that the fact that I do handle the cold well and those rain jackets get mighty warm damned fast if I'm wearing one.

Pleasant day for riding today. Certainly a lot of bikes out. This warm May weather really is getting a few people into commuting on a bike. Hopefully some will continue even if it does get cold.

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby Mugglechops » Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am

Mate broke his chain this morning at 5.15am.

Lucky I just bought a quick link last week.
Mugglechops

Postby Whorl » Tue May 27, 2014 9:34 am

Missing my morning rides already!! First day back at work after last weeks elbow fracture and it sucks waiting for trains.
Whorl

Postby TraceyG » Tue May 27, 2014 9:36 am

A balmy 19 degrees with a light tail wind at 6.30 this morning, just a shame that I arrived to work to discover I wasn't as organised as usual and didn't have anything in my pantry drawer for breakfast AND no coffee morning! Oh well, just had to break out the plastic to fuel the engine from the local bakery.

Shame I can't ride home tonight but DH and I have our final dance practice before making our debut on Saturday night.
TraceyG

Postby rangersac » Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 am

The gods were smiling on me this morning, 2/3rds of the way into my commute the puncture fairy struck. I'm using the road bike as the moment, as the commuter is off the road due to a cracked rim. The Rubino Pros obviously don't have the resistance of the Randonneurs! Anyway, pulled the bike off the road cursing as the rain was tumbling down and prepared to do the business, when a Subaru with a bike roof rack pulls up along side. 'Fancy a ride into town mate?' No second thoughts required there. Here's hoping a massive amount of karma comes the way of this gentleman.
De Rosa Macro | Trek Superfly 100AL Elite | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby Summernight » Tue May 27, 2014 10:11 am

TraceyG wrote:Shame I can't ride home tonight but DH and I have our final dance practice before making our debut on Saturday night.

Australian Ballroom Championships? :P

I ended up leaving work early yesterday feeling like carp (early being only 4PM instead of 6PM or later). I really need a few days off to recuperate but some of my work is time sensitive so it is hard to work out when I can take the time off.

No real peak hour traffic had started at 4PM last night, but by golly a few people that were out at that time seemed to think they owned the world.

No. 1 was the woman pedestrian crossing from Treasury to Parliament on Macarthur St. Ped light had gone red ages before she started to cross. I was behind the first cyclist in the traffic light queue. I watched her saunter halfway over the crossing, pause and work out whether she should go in front of the cyclist about to head off when the light changed or behind him. She then decides to go in front of him and continues to saunter without any hurry. Not surprisingly the light changes to our green before she's about to cross in front of the cyclist in front of me and he lets out a 'watch it' or something similar (it was still fairly polite). She cracks the absolute nutties at him about how she can take as long as she likes or something, he responds with 'the lights had changed', she still cracks it at him as she saunters off, I pipe in with something like "Check the lights next time", she heads off muttering about cyclists and off we go, shaking our heads and sharing a 'what can you do about loonies' smile.

No.2 was the motorist who was turning left at a set of lights. The ped crossing light had just started flashing red after being green. There were peds on the crossing. Said motorist honked the peds to get out of his way, even though the ped light hadn't changed to red yet. :roll:

No. 3 was the taxi who decided it was better to park in the bike lane on Albert St to let off passengers instead of getting honked by cars, even though he could have parked safely just further up or could have legally parked in the car lane to let off his passenger. He also doesn't look as he does so for any bikes in the lane.

No. 4 was the big truck parked just after Hoddle St on Elizabeth St, Richmond, right on the section where the road turns and visibility isn't great. He's completely blocking the bike lane in the section where most motorists drive in the bike lane because they can't be bothered turning more sharply to stay in their lane.

Anyway, just a usual 4PM commute, it seems.

This morning I was honked by a dual cab ute in the two block non-bike lane section of Albert St for blocking his way in the left lane. He gave an initial toot, then when I failed to move across into the door zone he gave another toot. I pointed to the second lane he could have safely overtaken me in but he stayed behind me because the cars in that lane were actually going slower than me (what a surprise). Surprisingly he doesn't toot me again - maybe because he sees I've caught up to the traffic in front of me and am actually not holding him up. By the time he does pass me the bike lane had started so I'm in that and out of his way. I was expecting some abuse out the passenger window, but the window stayed up.

Then there was the taxi in Collins St who just had to get in front of me and did so by crossing half over the tram 'do not cross' yellow rumble strip thing (which is illegal to cross unless going around an obstruction, which a bicycle is not), only to have to brake while alongside me because other cars weren't moving just up ahead. So little ol' cyclist me sails past all the blocked cars as per usual.

People need to take chill pills when driving and just go with the flow.

Also this morning I passed a guy riding a tridem (what's the name for a tandem for three people?), except it didn't look like a normal tandem as it was clearly made for the adult to ride at the back with the steering connected to the handlebars attached to the last seat and seats for two children at the front complete with pedals and handlebars. It was a cool contraption and looked like a cross between a long cargo bicycle (not the tricycle version) and a tandem.
Summernight

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting